• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in The Woods - April 13th - Best horror film in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to see the trailer after watching the movie. Holy shit, they gave away the entire movie, didn't they?!

Either that or the fact that I've already seen the movie that I can jot things down. That's not the whole point though. The fact that they show the "twist" in the trailer is fucking stupid. Why would they do that? Couldn't have they kept it simple and horror-ish?

what twist did they give away in the trailer? that there were people at the controls of this whole little incident? that isn't the twist

3kuSaS

Unconfirmed Member
I just got back from the film, and I absolutely adored it. I did have one question, however:
Was there ever an explanation given as to why Marty's pot helped him evade the dulling agents that were pumped into the scenario?

I went to a screener and there was a Q&A with the actor that played Marty
he said that since it was his "secret secret stash", they were not able to find it to put the dulling agents in it.And that weed was so powerful that it counteracted the dulling agents.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
what twist did they give away in the trailer? that there were people at the controls of this whole little incident? that isn't the twist

There isn't a twist. Not sure why people keep saying there is. There are just some basic components of the premise that are somewhat obscured in the marketing.

I went to a screener and there was a Q&A with the actor that played Marty
he said that since it was his "secret secret stash", they were not able to find it to put the dulling agents in it.And that weed was so powerful that it counteracted the dulling agents.

Oh, cool, thanks for the info.

There are way too many moments in this film that are my favorite, so I can't say anything about Marty. Because everything in that film was my favorite.

So I decided to see the trailer after watching the movie. Holy shit, they gave away the entire movie, didn't they?!

Either that or the fact that I've already seen the movie that I can jot things down. That's not the whole point though. The fact that they show the "twist" in the trailer is fucking stupid. Why would they do that? Couldn't have they kept it simple and horror-ish?

The only thing the trailers spoil is that
Marty survives beyond his apparent death
. The fact that there are people pulling strings behind the scenes isn't a twist; it's the premise of the film, and it's revealed within the film's first 15 minutes.

I think if you had seen the movie and the trailer in the opposite order, you'd be pleasantly surprised by how little the trailer gave away.

If anything, the twist is that it's a dark comedy, not a horror movie. The marketing certainly pulled one over on me.

There isn't a twist. Not sure why people keep saying there is. There are just some basic components of the premise that are somewhat obscured in the marketing.

yeah, there is a twist.
initially the movie presents itself as a "reality tv" type thing.... almost like a running man/hunger games type thing. but it turns into them having to appease old gods so they don't destroy the earth.

it's not the sixth sense but it is a twist

ivysaur said:
The audience was 57 percent male and 65 percent over the age of 25, and they gave the movie an awful "C" CinemaScore. That score, along with the modest opening, is indicative of the challenges associated with selling satire (which Cabin in the Woods most definitely qualifies as). The title and stock characters (the jock, his girlfriend, the geek, the stoner, and the virgin) are intentionally generic, and from a cursory glance it would appear that the movie isn't even trying to be original. That probably kept the movie from reaching a larger audience, though the group that did show up was predominantly expecting a straightforward horror movie. By delivering something much different, the movie delighted a small group of audience members while generally frustrating those whose expectations were subverted. Moviegoers like to know what they are in for when they go to see a movie, and when it turns out to be something different the movie tends to get punished in exit polling.

Annnd we have the
symbolism of the Ancient Gods awakening and "destroying the world" or in this case, "the movie" when things don't go according to plan. The filmmakers were so clever they made a final commentary on the general audience (Gods)--When the Gods aren't appeased, destruction of the franchise/world occurs. Marty and Dana represents the thoughts of those of us in the audience that welcome something new rather than the accepted norm.

Problem is, most people saw things literally and if you do that, the movie might be harder to really enjoy.

judhudson

Here's one thing that bugged me about the
research facility. The purge system buttons being right in the open, with no key codes/lockdown in place in case something went wrong. Plus, why would they program the elevators to let the cubes containing the monsters come down to the facility. With that, and no prevention system being in place...I'm left to wonder why they didn't exactly think that through.

research facility. The purge system buttons being right in the open, with no key codes/lockdown in place in case something went wrong. Plus, why would they program the elevators to let the cubes containing the monsters come down to the facility. With that, and no prevention system being in place...I'm left to wonder why they didn't exactly think that through.

I've said it before-but yes, while that does seem silly, that is there just to give you a cathartic "hell yes" moment. If they had to break out some kind of manual and read a FAQ on how to do that-it would have grinded the movie down to a grinding halt. Which would you have preferred?

Varna

Yup. That part stuck out to me as well... "It's a movie" is the explanation for it I guess.

The tone is all over the place in this film. I usually hate that kind of thing but it just works in this film. I went in nothing absolutely nothing about the film and I really enjoyed it.

mjc

I loved this movie!

I kinda want a prequel where the company goes around capturing creatures for use in the scenarios.
That'd be interesting.

Saw this a second time tonight, and man, it was the polar opposite of the first time. That was an advance deal filled with movie buffs and it was just fun as hell. This one was just a bummer. It entirely went over the heads of just about everyone there, hardly a laugh out of anybody. This was obviously never going to be a huge mainstream hit but I'm surprised that it fell so wholly flat with just about the entire theater.

Saw this a second time tonight, and man, it was the polar opposite of the first time. That was an advance deal filled with movie buffs and it was just fun as hell. This one was just a bummer. It entirely went over the heads of just about everyone there, hardly a laugh out of anybody. This was obviously never going to be a huge mainstream hit but I'm surprised that it fell so wholly flat with just about the entire theater.

So you saw it with some wheddonites and again with normal people.

Yeah, I've never seen a film that has brought forth such an extreme reaction from the audience.

People hated it when I went to see it both times.

When I went to see it, the biggest laugh from the audience was
the "I'm still on speakerphone, aren't I?" bit from the creepy fire and brimstone guy.
I was consistently laughing throughout most of it and there were some other chuckles but I think a lot of people weren't getting it.

Exiting the theater, the one remark I heard was a guy telling his girlfriend "That was a weird fucking movie." Which I think sums up how the majority of normal, everyday moviegoers will react to it.

Dan

yeah, there is a twist.
initially the movie presents itself as a "reality tv" type thing.... almost like a running man/hunger games type thing. but it turns into them having to appease old gods so they don't destroy the earth.

it's not the sixth sense but it is a twist

I don't think that's in the movie at all.
For starters, the movie opens with images of mythic sacrifice. You have a big, government-style facility, and chatter about how other nations are failing at their operations. That's just in the first 15 minutes. None of it reads reality television. Hell, that's a punchline.

I don't think that reading is based on the film itself. Maybe that was just your impressions and speculations from the marketing.

I don't think that's in the movie at all.
For starters, the movie opens with images of mythic sacrifice. You have a big, government-style facility, and chatter about how other nations are failing at their operations. That's just in the first 15 minutes. None of it reads reality television. Hell, that's a punchline.

I don't think that reading is based on the film itself. Maybe that was just your impressions and speculations from the marketing.

so let me get this straight. the entire movie you knew
that they were doing all of this to sacrafice the kids to appease past gods?
alright.

Dan

A sequel, even if a prequel, is against the point of this film. There's just no way to do it. What would the content be?

Clearly some people want exactly what the movie was satirizing.
They just want to see young people tortured and killed.

Which is hilarious.

Dan

alright.

I think the opening titles made the
sacrifice element very clear. Now I didn't know exactly for what purpose, but yeah.
I don't think the actual movie hid what was happening or what it was about for very long at all.

alright.

When Amy Acker's character says something about the Ancients right before her TV screen is shut off, that's basically when I put it together. In fact, I was putting it together as soon as he pulled the first switch when the "whore" died.
I don't think it was that hard to put together if you were paying attention in the slightest.

Margalis

Banned
Is there some sort of secret Whedonite law that forces anyone who liked the movie to accuse anyone who didn't like it of "not getting it" or are Whedon fans just all douches?

Not to be too antagonistic (too late I guess) but it's a huge turnoff when fans of a movie act like desperate true believers.

Jak140

I wouldn't say there is a major twist per say,
the blood sacrifice thing is hinted at pretty heavily early on, if not out right stated in the phone call by the creepy gas station man, and if it's not obvious by then, it should be when they flip the switches to make the blood flow into the sacrificial altars. The bigger reveal for me was that the kids actually made it into the facility and unleashed havoc on their tormentors. I loved the movie BTW, it's probably the closest thing we will ever get to a Portal movie. It's essentially Portal crossed with the movie Funny Games.

just because you had suspicions about where the story was going doesn't mean it isn't a twist. them promoting the movie as "this spring....
5 youngsters can save the world.... by being sacraficed to elder gods! go see The Cabin in the Woods only in theaters this April!"

it's like me saying "what twist in the sixth sense? i already suspected bruce willis was dead from the beginning!"

When Amy Acker's character says something about the Ancients right before her TV screen is shut off, that's basically when I put it together. In fact, I was putting it together as soon as he pulled the first switch when the "whore" died.
I don't think it was that hard to put together if you were paying attention in the slightest.

That was my only criticism of the movie. Placing that right smack dab in the middle of the film betrayed its pacing/exposition.

Is there some sort of secret Whedonite law that forces anyone who liked the movie to accuse anyone who didn't like it of "not getting it" or are Whedon fans just all douches?

Not to be too antagonistic (too late I guess) but it's a huge turnoff when fans of a movie act like desperate true believers.

Whedonites are one of the worst fandoms. Felicia Day Fans are a subclass of Whedonites.

Dan

just because you had suspicions about where the story was going doesn't mean it isn't a twist. them promoting the movie as "this spring....
5 youngsters can save the world.... by being sacraficed to elder gods! go see The Cabin in the Woods only in theaters this April!"

it's like me saying "what twist in the sixth sense? i already suspected bruce willis was dead from the beginning!"

The Sixth Sense had subtle hints about its twist. There was nothing subtle about The Cabin in the Woods' opening credits or the deliberate and overt dropping of new information about the project every five minutes.

The marketing has nothing to do with it. Just because something isn't seen in the ads and trailers doesn't make it a twist.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

when watching the trailer, it doesn't sink in about Marty, because you haven't seen the movie yet. But then when watching the movie, you get to the part where
the control room staff are having a party to celebrate, with the girl getting the crap beaten out of her on the monitors
and you think 'hang on,'
I haven't seen Marty or the lift yet
so it deflates things just a little.

Demy

Anyone got a screen shot of that
monster list up on the white board
?

Also,
Here's the best character in the movie hands down.
e20477199ethumb.png.png

I can't even believe that its up for debate.
Blow the conch shell, fucking mermen come out of the lake and spew blood out of their blowholes as they eat people.

Went a second time last night with a friend who's a big fan of the genre, and it blew him away. Audience reaction was pretty good, and a decent size for a Sunday night.

This movie is designed from the ground up to be a cult flick and I adore that. I love that there is so much to see you can't possibly take it all in in one or even two viewings, and bits scattered here and there through the first couple acts that won't fully click until you've already been through to the end. The DVD/BR sales for this are going to be ridiculous. I fully expect half a dozen editions over the next decade or so.

Amazing that in a year with so many huge blockbusters, my favorite film of 2012 might just turn out to be Cabin in the Woods. It's hard to imagine anything surpassing it.

big ander

Okay, guys. people call it a horror film because it fits under the very definition of "horror".

A horror film's goal is to bring out negative feelings. Cabin's goal is to make the viewer feel like society is shit, nobody is truly good anymore, and like the viewer is responsible for demanding such arcane and repetitive films before this. And then it mixes in supernatural elements for good measure.

it's horror, people.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I want the Blu-Ray already LOL

=/

I just wanna re-watch the last act with the elevators and the chaos that ensues over and over, the grin I had from ear to ear of all the shit that came, my god

SO GOOD!

Maybe just douches but I'm not even a big Whedon fan and I rolled my eyes at some of the comments on Twitter. Just depends on the response. If you come out of that movie saying it's the worst movie you've ever seen, I'm just going to assume you're a fan of Sarah Jessica Parker films and your opinions are invalid. ;)

sn00zer

One of the things I like about this movie is that it could EASILY be called
Evil Dead 4 and that Evil Dead 1/2 were failed operations
the universes fit together very very nice together more so than the obvious nods throughout the film

GraveRobberX

My theater that I went to it got into the movie clapping/laughing right when the movie showed the parts where you can pour your emotions out
When that Merman loving dude fell due to the grenade blast back, and they show smoke, I screamed Merman to the Rescue!, I had no clue that shit was gonna happen, but when it came, others started laughing screaming Merman!, and that blood spurt through the blow-hole HOLY FUCK!, the theater laughed so fucking hard

GraveRobberX

I need 2 Prequels stat

1 of how the monsters were captured/came to be, almost ghostbusters/monster squad type movie

Then when the industrial complex was set-up and their first try, also show all the other nations that FAIL!, with what they got owned by LOL

drspeedy

One of the things I like about this movie is that it could EASILY be called
Evil Dead 4 and that Evil Dead 1/2 were failed operations
the universes fit together very very nice together more so than the obvious nods throughout the film

This. I wasn't even interested until I saw the awesome Adult Swim ad, (can't find it on YT, but it had some perfectly cheesy voice over going 'oh noes!'), but oh yeah, it's gotta be in the Evil Dead universe... if there is such a thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom