• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Aizo

Banned
Evilore has incriminating evidence on all of us. I'm safe, 'cause I think I'm his duet partner now.

A lot of guys (and a certain girl) had interesting exchanges with Japanese girls last night.
Great night! I can't tell if I'm still drunk.

Evilore, while you are in the city, this is the arcade in Shinjuku where a large amount of the top Street Fighter 4 players play.

shinjuku_1.jpg

The Taito Station South Shinjuku

http://www.mmcafe.com/arcadeguide/arcades_shinjuku.html

Also recently in a store in Akihabara, I found well.. I'll let it speak for itself.
eWjBna1.jpg

opposite side of the same aisle.
3i4o770.jpg

At least they know their market!

TransTrender

Gold Member
Is that the Akihabara Radio tower right outside the train station? 10 floors in total with 5-10 being mostly good except for the pervy shops. Right next to a pachinko place but the building over from the Sega tower.
Also on the opposite side of this building is another good shop with awesome Gunpla prices on the 3rd floor.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not even hyperbole that's just reality.

I dislike Akiba so much. It's not even all the sadlife anime etc it's more like how shitty everything is that ISN'T stuff. Don't about electric town history, remove all these crud shops selling random wires.

Too bad the TX stops in Akiba so I'm there a lot ._.

Desmond

Evilore has incriminating evidence on all of us. I'm safe, 'cause I think I'm his duet partner now.

A lot of guys (and a certain girl) had interesting exchanges with Japanese girls last night.
Great night! I can't tell if I'm still drunk.
Lol.

All I can say.

Ayumi

How are you guys still alive? That was like 10 hours of drinking and I can't even get out of bed right now. I rarely get hungover but I got hit really hard, lol. Maybe it was that whiskey. Totally worth it, though!

I can't believe I got to wear the famous hat from Alabastre's avatar.

Desmond

How are you guys still alive? That was like 10 hours of drinking and I can't even get out of bed right now. I rarely get hungover but I got hit really hard, lol. Maybe it was that whiskey. Totally worth it, though!

I spent the whole day in Akihabara lol

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

I'm working so...

Ayumi

I'm working so...
Yah, no worries! The restaurant was mad fun! Experimenting with different sake and shochu was pretty interesting. First time I've had it with ice cubes, lol. Btw, what does your t-shirt mean? I forgot to ask yesterday.

Gromph

Staff Member
Yah, no worries! The restaurant was mad fun! Experimenting with different sake and shochu was pretty interesting. First time I've had it with ice cubes, lol. Btw, what does your t-shirt mean? I forgot to ask yesterday.

Good to hear! Next one will be better :D

The T-shirt is basically this:

"Be bad. Be proud. Good samaritans get all the glory, but bad samaritans have all the fun."

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Green Car JR Pass worth the extra money over Ordinary?

both are fine but usually if I am travelling I go with Green Car just because - hey - why not ? :D

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Hah yeah the pervy stuff. Seems like 50% all of all the retail space is dedicated to that stuff. However, I only recall one place in Akihabara with that much mlp stuff.

Oh I didn't even notice. It's all a blur to me at this point unless I'm looking for something specific.

Yes, the MLP stuff was in the Radio Tower. I just thought it would be very confusing and funny for someone who has no idea what My Little Pony is, and would wander in there and see the pervy stuff and little girls toys from America next to each other.

This might seem like a bit of a weird question, but does anyone know anything about physiotherapy in Japan? Information or expriences, stuff like that?

Basically I've had some pretty major knee surgery which requires about a year of physio, but I'm starting my year abroad so I'll have to continue it in Japan. Just wondering what it's like so I know what to expect.

So I'll be visiting Japan for the third time this Friday for just over two weeks. Super excited as always :D

I have a question for Tokyo-GAF. I plan on trying to catch any of the launch craziness for Smash Bros 3DS in Akiba this Saturday. I plan to pick up a copy, but which shop in particular would be the best place to go? Or maybe there are some events perhaps?

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
Okay, so now that I have caught up with all that lost sleep (it was a very short Sunday), let me tell how much I enjoyed this meetup. What a great bunch JapanGAF is!

If anyone ever finds the time to come up to Sendai, let me know and I'll try to make some time for you!

Now back to selling that ski wax...

TokiDoki

Evilore, while you are in the city, this is the arcade in Shinjuku where a large amount of the top Street Fighter 4 players play.

shinjuku_1.jpg

The Taito Station South Shinjuku

Yea can vouch for this , went there on a night stumbled upon Daigo and Kazunoko battling with each other , and even the others not very well known are pretty skilled .

Quixzlizx

I'm going to be arriving in Tokyo on the 20th, and I've just realized that this means I can possibly attend TGS on Sunday. My tour group's orientation is Sunday morning, however. Is it worth it to attend on a Sunday, or is it like some other conventions where Sunday is kind of a dead day when exhibitors are packing up? Will I be able to enjoy the experience if I don't know much Japanese? Since I'm going to be occupied for part of Sunday morning, is it one of those events where you have to line up really early in order not to be stuck on line for hours? This seems like serendipitous timing, considering I wasn't even thinking of TGS when I booked this trip, so I think I'd like to experience it if the above caveats aren't a big deal.

Also, are there any restaurants that I definitely need to check out while I'm in Tokyo? I'm really into noodles, and I'd like to try at least one fine dining sushi place with an omakase menu (preferably not too much more than $100 per person, but #YOLO if I need to spend a bit more). I don't know if it's too late to get a reservation for a place like that, though. I also want to check out Akihabara. Are there parts that are more English-friendly than others? I also want to try some sort of X cafe to say I've done it, so any recommendations on those? :lol

I'm also going to have free time in Kyoto and Osaka between tour events, so suggestions on any really cool non-obvious spots in those cities would be appreciated.

Thank you for your guidance, Japan GAF.

Gromph

Staff Member
Okay, so now that I have caught up with all that lost sleep (it was a very short Sunday), let me tell how much I enjoyed this meetup. What a great bunch JapanGAF is!

If anyone ever finds the time to come up to Sendai, let me know and I'll try to make some time for you!

Now back to selling that ski wax...

Yo man! text me on Line, or i will not be able to add you! :D

Great times indeed!

(I will try to setup a good bye party for Evilore) You are invited to come.

Pachinko

Man this thread takes me back. It's been 10 years since I visited Japan for a 2 week whirlwind tour. I got to see most of the big touristy hot spots in Tokyo and Kyoto as well as a couple places in Osaka.

I could totally go back there some day.

TokiDoki

I think the sidetrip to TGS is definitely worth it . All you need to check out are games so knowing Japanese or not isn't necessary . I'm not sure about Sunday but on Saturday it will take hours to queue just to playtest games . And the TGS hall's location is quite far from Tokyo center though .

Gromph

Staff Member
I think the sidetrip to TGS is definitely worth it . All you need to check out are games so knowing Japanese or not isn't necessary . I'm not sure about Sunday but on Saturday it will take hours to queue just to playtest games . And the TGS hall's location is quite far from Tokyo center though .

And the queue to enter is big too.

Ayumi

This might seem like a bit of a weird question, but does anyone know anything about physiotherapy in Japan? Information or expriences, stuff like that?

Basically I've had some pretty major knee surgery which requires about a year of physio, but I'm starting my year abroad so I'll have to continue it in Japan. Just wondering what it's like so I know what to expect.

Since no one replied to this yet, I'll try my best.

I have no experiences with this in Japan, but it wasn't that hard to find something when Googling. There doesn't seem to be much on Google about this though, other than links to actual clinics instead of reviews/experienced. Where in Japan will you move to?

Aizo

Banned

Sundays are busy, too. I waited in a huge line last year to play the PS4, and ended up being forced to play Knack. It sucked.

JulianImp

After over twenty four hours worth of flying around in 747s, I'm finally writing this from my Sakura House room!

Let me know if we end up having a second GAF Meet-Up anytime soom. I stil feel like it should be 5 AM in my head, but hopefully I'll get to sleep well enough tonight (getting less than four hours of sleep during my flights is probably helping).

After over twenty four hours worth of flying around in 747s, I'm finally writing this from my Sakura House room!

Let me know if we end up having a second GAF Meet-Up anytime soom. I stil feel like it should be 5 AM in my head, but hopefully I'll get to sleep well enough tonight (getting less than four hours of sleep during my flights is probably helping).

How's the room?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

I had to get stuff done after being run over by a car here. You'll probably have to have your doctor transfer your info and get it translated so that the peeps over here can help you or at least get a reexamination (most likely they will just do this part). My experience was really good but you're gonna wanna make sure your Japanese is up to snuff or find an English speaking doc.

Jubern

Hi there folks. Some people might know me from Gundam or Mecha GAF, I'm a French guy who has been living in Japan for two years now, and I have no plans to leave anytime soon!
I wanted to check the thread and answer earlier but I kind of forgot since I've been really busy recently... and now I missed a GAF meetup, damn ^_^'

Anyway:

What made you interested in Japan?

When I was a kid, it was the standard anime/games passion. It led to the next question which in turn made me more curious about the country I was trying to learn the language of. It kind of became my passion.

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)?

1st year of high school, I was knee-deep in anime and a friend and me somehow thought it'd be fun to learn hiragana and katakana. He didn't stuck with it but I learned both really fast, then bought a shitty beginner textbook that I stuck with until the end of HS. Then I moved to a uni in Paris specialized in Asian studies with a pretty big Japanese section, just because I liked learning the language and studying about Japan.

Are you currently living in Japan?

Yes.

How long have you lived in Japan?

Two years as of some time last week! I'm not planning to leave anytime soon and neither is my girlfriend (who's also French).

What is your favorite Hotto Motto meal?

I've never been there, dead serious.

What is your favorite place in Japan?

I don't think I have any place like that to be frank. I did think Kagoshima was really nice when I went there two month ago. Would never live in Kyoto.

What is your favorite Japanese food & drink?

I like Hakkaisan nihonshu, but my drink of choice has pretty much always been beer. When it comes to food... I dunno. I'm a pretty simple guy so if you take me to a cheap izakaya with decent Karaage there's a good chance I'll like you.

What is your favorite season to be in Japan?

Maybe Fall, since it's the less terrible season with Spring. Fuck Winter and Summer.

Where are you from, and which languages do you speak? (conversational and above)

France, I'm fluent in French (duh), English and Japanese!

What should we call you if we ever met you IRL?

Julien is good :)

Personal recommendation: If you like cheap izakayas, I recommend you Medaka in Shinjuku Kabukicho:
http://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1304/A130401/13150823/
It's REALLY cheap and has a certain charm IMO, I often go there with my friends.

And no, Yakuza won't jump at your throat if you enter Kabukicho ;)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Personal recommendation: If you like cheap izakayas, I recommend you Medaka in Shinjuku Kabukicho:
It's REALLY cheap and has a certain charm IMO, I often go there with my friends.

I actually really dislike izakayas. Well, I like the eating and smoking and the atmosphere and sitting beside random drunk salarymen but my clothes smell too awful after. I need a hazmat suit or less expensive clothes for a izakaya outfit.

Ayumi

lol, just remembered that I introduced myself as MikeHattsu to Desmond when I was getting kinda drunk at the JapanGAF meeting. It was hilarious because he believed me, but I'm one of those people who instantly have to admit that they were joking. :v

lol, just remembered that I introduced myself as MikeHattsu to Desmond when I was getting kinda drunk at the JapanGAF meeting. It was hilarious because he believed me, but I'm one of those people who instantly have to admit that they were joking. :v

H-Hey... >_>

Aizo

Banned
Hi there folks. Some people might know me from Gundam or Mecha GAF, I'm a French guy who has been living in Japan for two years now, and I have no plans to leave anytime soon!
I've been expecting you!

What a coincidence! I'm actually going there this Saturday for my going away party thing.

Gaf, been in japan when i was young(ish). 17 y/o, with family for business..
After so many years i want to go again on my own..
Best season and cost of "staying" there for say 13-14 days?
I plan on visiting various location and i love more rural/particularly place rather than metropolitan cities, so for me Tokyo is just a base and i'd move via train.
Accomodation target is a decent room (not a HUGE ROOM) but certainly not your smallish/capsule room..
Thanks in advance

Top Bottom