• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park's out. Is the fish minigame handled well? Should it be in the game?

I wasn't planning on playing the game, but saw it brought up elsewhere, and was reminded of pre-release articles about it.

Does playing it in context make it work as a joke and is it justified? Whether it does or not, how so? Do you think it should have been in the game?

Making a thread since the OT would mostly get responses from diehard fans is South Park, and this matter has implications beyond the game itself.what are your thoughts on racist imagery in video games?

P.S. On mobile and couldn't easily link to examples of the mini game, but it's easy to look up.

EDIT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1436889

That thread was about the game trailer which featured a Kanye fish/Mother fish minigame, and was mostly debating whether the Mother fish was racist since it looks like a blackface character
okvoidx.png

Marcel

You're going to not buy a game because of 1 stupid joke in a game full of stupid jokes? It's your money but it seems like you're trying too hard.

TannerDemoz

Don't know if this question warrants an entire thread - surely you could have just posted in the OT where people will know what you're on about?

EDIT: Just read the OP. Or surely you could have just posted in the other thread? Incoming shit storm either way.

I have the game but I haven't gotten to this part just yet. Played about 10 hours and experienced the first couple of major bosses.

What I can say is that I don't think it needs to be removed. If we go by that logic a lot of stuff should be taken out or changed like Cartman calling himself "The Coon" - It's all just South Park being edgy and shocking for some laughs.

For this instance I don't even see it being racist. Just looks like a black fish with lipstick. I don't necessarily think it was them trying to invoke blackface imagery.

Ok so it's a flappy bird clone mocking Kanye - I still don't know what the fuck OP is trying to say, are we supposed to be offended? Throw us a bone here...

My understanding is that people think it's a blackface thing.

Marcel

Spring-Loaded said:
this matter has implications beyond the game itself

Pretty sure it doesn't. I'm almost certain everyone forgot about this "controversy" until you wanted to manufacture a reaction to it again.

It’s pretty fantastic. Not as funny as Stick of truth but much better fighting mechanics and some great moments in the story and still very funny regardless. If you enjoyed Stick of truth.

arcticice

I wasn't planning on playing the game

If you were not planning on playing the game, then that means you have no interest in South Park. if you have no interest in SP, then you wouldn't know what that mini-game is or why is it in the game. if you don't know why is it in the game, why are you getting offended and why do you want others to get offended by it.

Freeman76

Come on be real mate, somebody as sensitive as your good self should not be watching or playing anything to do with south park.

If you were not planning on playing the game, then that means you have no interest in South Park. if you have no interest in SP, then you wouldn't know what that mini-game is or why is it in the game. if you don't know why is it in the game, why are you getting offended and why do you want others to get offended by it.

Exactly. It seems like you were looking for something to be offended by

Nilua

From what i've seen, it doesn't seem well-handled, but I don't think it's much more serious than an unfortunate joke that doesn't land. I get the annoyance, I just don't think
it matters so much.

But to the people defending it just because it's South Park... You know, that's not how it works. South Park is good because it tries its more edgy or weird jokes, but sometimes they fail and should bem criticized

Marcel

From what i've seen, it doesn't seem well-handled, but I don't think it's much more serious than an unfortunate joke that doesn't land. I get the annoyance, I just don't think
it matters so much.

But to the people defending it just because it's South Park... You know, that's not how it works. South Park is good because it tries its more edgy or weird jokes, but sometimes they fail and should bem criticized

I think the point is this fish mini-game is not a unique case and it seems like the OP just wanted to stir shit by making a thread instead of just bumping the OT with a question about the game which is what normal people do.

onken

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1436889

Look at this thread. A lot of people got offended

Ah ok I just watched the video in the OP. This never occurred to me, hrmm. Who knows with the South Park guys, could be subtly done to give themselves plausible deniability or not what they were going for at all. Either way, I'm sure have all kinds of other crazy shock tactic bs in the game, the universe is not for the faint of heart.

I do have interest in the game. I'm interested in hearing what people thought of this minigame in context. That's why I made the thread.

I just wasn't planning on playing the game. Does that make sense?

Village

Pretty sure it doesn't. I'm almost certain everyone forgot about this "controversy" until you wanted to manufacture a reaction to it again.

Fuck off with that, how are people manufacturing controversy to black face?

I think the point is this fish mini-game is not a unique case and it seems like the OP just wanted to stir shit by making a thread instead of just bumping the OT with a question about the game which is what normal people do.

What is your problem

What is OP trying to stir

Its obvious black face, there's nothing to " stir" is fucked up.

Mendrox

I do have interest in the game. I'm interested in hearing what people thought of this minigame in context. That's why I made the thread.

Wat?

It's a mini game with a fish looking like blackface and it's suppose to be Kanyes mum. It's a bit shitty, but I never expected them to not do something like this in any way. There are also many of these cases in this game. Play a black guy and you get rude comments most of the time. Or you choose to be neither girl or boy and Rednecks want to immediately fuck you up. Se(a)men is still funny.

What is your problem

And it's obviously South Park where:

- Ginger kids are hated
- Zombie Nazis were on the streets
- where two kids were forced to be gay
- where a small kid got killed in many horrible ways because he is poor
- Jews are insulted all the time

Blackface is horrible, but is it really such a big new thing for South Park?

Whole thing should be added here too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park_controversies#Criticism_and_protests

What clip from the show is the song from towards the end of the video where
they're taking selfies with Jesus and talking about religion?
I remember seeing it once and never being able to find that episode again.

Marcel

What is your problem

Series known for offensive jokes has a game with offensive jokes. I don't see anything actually surprising here. They've been doing this middle-of-the-road make fun of everybody limp wrist libertarian shit for years and it seems like some y'all have a selective memory about it.

sjay1994

Wat?

It's a mini game with a fish looking like blackface and it's suppose to be Kanyes mum. It's a bit shitty, but I never expected them to not do something like this in any way. There are also many of these cases in this game. Play a black guy and you get rude comments most of the time. Or you choose to be neither girl or boy and Rednecks want to immediately fuck you up. Se(a)men is still funny.

- Ginger kids are hated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park_controversies#Criticism_and_protests

Play as a black character and all the cops fucking hate you.

Some jokes land, some don't.

Thats the nature of SP. A lot of jokes landed as I am playing, this fish joke I laughed at from the sheer absurdity of the scenario. I can't deny I didn't go "huh, that fish looks like its in blackface", but asides from that its not overtly offensive. I just think they put it in because they promised to make fun of Kanye's game via a sidequest,

Village

- Ginger kids are hated

Who gives a shit if its new
Its fucked up and its worth talking about

Series known for offensive jokes has a game with offensive jokes. I don't see anything actually surprising here. They've been doing this middle-of-the-road make fun of everybody limp wrist libertarian shit for years and it seems like some y'all have a selective memory about it.

Who said I have selected memory

How about this is also worth talking about, and all you have been doing is trying to shut down conversation for no reason

I saw a dead fish with lipstick riding a unicorn....okay I concede that if they had made the fish the same colour as its gay son then maybe it wouldn't elicit blackface comparisons but I didn't see it that way. Being a white Scotsman it's not something I'm on the lookout for I'll grant you.

Keasar

Wat?

"It's Seaman!"

arcticice

Let me answer your question: If you understand the context of this mini-game, you will NOT be offended.

Marcel

How about this is also worth talking about, and all you have been doing is trying to shut down conversation for no reason

You know I don't actually have the power to shut down conversation, right? Complain as much as you want. I think your concern is in bad faith but I cannot stop it as you're contending.

fanboi

Banned

Well I see you point but they treat everyone equally in the sense that everything is OK to joke about.

If it is OK or not... well isn't South Parks jokes more to put light on issues? Like if you play harder difficulties you are more brown/black skinned charachter which is superb (in this medium) to show hardship for a black person in todays society

And if it is a blackface or not... not sure.

Top Bottom