• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalizer

Wait why are people saying 6 now? This is the most confusing shit ever besides the fact that OSes draining more than windows at maximum is sad

Thuway is throwing the number out there, and Bruce corroborated it.

At this point, I'd interpret all this like so: 5GB is the absolute lowest that Sony will allocate to game devs. The maximum is more nebulous since it depends on OS optimizations, what features Sony is looking to bring to the future, how much they want to leave alone for purely future-proofing purposes, etc.

ekim

Virtual memory is not a bad thing though. It allows multiple programs to share the memory without need to dedicate contiguous memory blocks to single programs. So yes, it may seem like there is more memory available to all the programs that their physically is, but this is because a chunk is all virtual for all program to use.

It's actually a smart design.

I know some virtual memory implementations and those are rather slow and only ease development. But i don't know the PS4 implementation.

So, if I got this right, it's 2GB for the OS and 6GB for the games, however a portion of those 6GB is managed by the OS?

It's 5.0 GB for launch of GDDR5. 5.0 GB DDR3 for the Xbox One. Both companies will reduce the OS footprint after launch. But for now, for launch window games, 5.0 is how much their guaranteed to get.

S¡mon

Banned
It's 4.5 for launch of GDDR5. 5 GB DDR3 for the Xbox One. Both companies will reduce the OS footprint after launch. But for now, for launch window games, 4.5 is how much their guaranteed to get.
Article says 5 GB (for PS4). 0.5GB/5GB is managed by the OS. For what, we don't know. It could be a secret accessoire, it could be for the PS4 Eye (think voice + body recognizition and processing).

chris0701

I know some virtual memory implementations and those are rather slow and only ease development. But i don't know the PS4 implementation.

200MB/s bandwidth is good, at least for web browsing ,because your network speed never meet that.

But for data intensive access, I don't think it would be good use.

He was wrong about that, PS4 RAM amount and PS4's dimensions. What he says should be taken with a grain of salt, because he has been wrong.

Unfortunately all of us have been wrong at some point. The industry shifts so quickly that something you think is "breaking news" might be weeks or even months old. The thing about Thuway is he shares a ton of what he hears with gaf which is great for you guys but also crappy for him because he puts himself out there way more often. Lots of other posters hear a bunch of stuff but were not going to post anything because if its wrong we look disingenuous or untrustworthy. It just isn't worth it most of the time.

miso_Jeff

Banned
They probably won't: the public don't need to know about this. Jimmy Fallon says their is 8GB of GDDR5.

To be honest, we don't need to know about this.

my thoughts exactly. Did your decision on purchasing the PS4 over the x1 really hinge on those 2gb of ram? the only people this should matter to is the devs... Unless it was such a big difference in ram say the difference between PS4/X1 vs Wii U then I would be concerned. Most people choose X1 over PS4, and vice versa, because you prefer that platforms games.

S¡mon;73239196 said:
Article says 5 GB (for PS4). 0.5GB/5GB is managed by the OS. For what, we don't know. It could be a secret accessoire, it could be for the PS4 Eye (think voice + body recognizition and processing).

Ah you're correct. I went back and edited. 512 MB is managed by the OS, but is available to games.

Do we have any clue if Sony is using any SSD memory for the PS4? If they are using the HDD then yes the swapping of pages will be really slow.

Of course developers could just rely on the virtual memory for game structures that are not affected by latency issues.

ekim

200MB/s bandwidth is good, at least for web browsing ,because your network speed never meet that.

But for data intensive access, I don't think it would be good use.

Well we used some sort of LRU (last recently used) cache with virtual memory adressing and depending on the data you mostly read from disk. If the PS4 VM is also only some sort of ramdisk you can't really rely on the behavior as a dev. But as I said - I have no idea how it's working their.

Do we have any clue if Sony is using any SSD memory for the PS4? If they are using the HDD then yes the swapping of pages will be really slow.

There was a rumor there would be 16GB of flash memory for caching, but so far that's a "tails from my ass" rumor. I would be surprised if they don't toss at least a small amount in however.

He was wrong about that, PS4 RAM amount and PS4's dimensions. What he says should be taken with a grain of salt, because he has been wrong.

No, what you say should be taken with a grain of salt. He's scooped this board on a full range of issues and a lot of them have panned out. He and other insiders come here and post sensitive info that is often subject to change. The only way an insider can be right 100% of the time is if they wait until things are finalized to tell us, and by then everyone already knows whatever it is.

We want them to come here and give us the scoop early and take the risk that things may turn out differently. That's what makes it a "scoop."

Mole40

Banned
This thread....
iLUwxpZCnpWjL.gif

There was a rumor there would be 16GB of flash memory for caching, but so far that's a "tails from my ass" rumor. I would be surprised if they don't toss at least a small amount in however.

Interesting that the rumor specifically mentioned caching. This ties in with the virtual memory we hear about now.

artist

Banned
Negative Xbox One Rumor = 100% true = no source needed

Negative PS4 Rumor = never true = even with source the sites are "dumb"

Positive Xbox One Rumor = something is still wrong = more sources are needed, site posting are MS fanboys

Positive PS4 Rumor = 100% true. best thing EVA! = no source needed

Hmmmm.....seeing a pattern.
You forgot to sign the post with #PersecutionComplex

No, what you say should be taken with a grain of salt. He's scooped this board on a full range of issues and a lot of them have panned out. He and other insiders come here and post sensitive info that is often subject to change. The only way an insider can be right 100% of the time is if they wait until things are finalized to tell us, and by then everyone already knows whatever it is.

We want them to come here and give us the scoop early and take the risk that things may turn out differently. That's what makes it a "scoop."

this is getting good let me watch from the sidelines

Majanew

Banned

Lol. This is why him saying it's 6GB means nothing. Thuway is not CBOAT.

Zukuu

Banned
Bummer.

What does sony plan to do with all that OS ram? It doesn't make any sense. I bet that crap SHARE feature, that is forced upon us is part of the reason.

Without adding more FUD, I think even 4.5GB of high speed RAM dedicated to gaming is more than enough. I personally don't know of any high end PC graphics cards that use that much memory, and this is a closed boxed designed for running heavily optimized games at up to 1080p resolution.

Simply put, people are blowing things way out of proportion. Both the Xbone and the PS4 are far more powerful and better designed than the PS3 and Xbox 360. Last gen Sony had 512MB of RAM that was split, yet we still got games like Uncharted and last of us. The same is true for the 360, except that it used unified memory and 10MB of edRAM. Of the the aforementioned memory, much less than 512MB was available for games only. Even at 4.5GB of RAM, we're still looking at we'll over 8 times the memory dedicated to gaming. Imagine what Naughty Dig can do with that?

As far as allocating so much RAM to the OS, I'm sure Sony is just playing it safe. Many people have said the lack of RAM have held the PS3's OS back. It couldn't do cross chat and sucked at multitasking. This will no longer be the case, as Sony is giving themselves more breathing room to grow.

People didn't even care if devs were happy with the rumored 5 GB. They just wanted PS4 to have a bigger number than Xbox One. It's why you are seeing so many people happy with 6GB.

Pretty much all it is. There was a time when it was believed that just 512MB or 1GB was dedicated to the PS4 OS, and now we're looking at a 3GB reservation on par with XB1 if this information holds true. When I see a 6GB mention, all I see are the same basic optimizations that are made to a game console over the life of the system to free up more memory for game devs to use, just like was done on the PS3 and the Xbox 360 before it, and will surely also be done on the Xbox One, unless MS somehow feels further optimization is impossible. Based on this info, if that's what Sony is currently communicating to devs, it looks safe to say that we're indeed looking at 5GB available for PS4 titles, and 6GB or 5.5GB is something that may or may not occur with further optimizations to the PS4's OS reservation.

Either way, no matter how we look at it, concerns that the Xbox 1's ram reservation would somehow significantly hinder or hold back PS4 titles have been largely oversold if this information is accurate.

Yoday

Guys get real, this is just some bullshit cg video that has no bearing on what the actual game will look or run like! This kind of crap has gone on in video games since day 0.

Capcom will have got virtually nowhere with development on this game, it will be a long time till it sees the light of day.
It is clearly not CG. There are rough DoF effects everywhere, and clear aliasing. Telling even the best in engine footage from CG is pretty easy if you know what to look for.

kitch9

Banned
Negative Xbox One Rumor = 100% true = no source needed

Negative PS4 Rumor = never true = even with source the sites are "dumb"

Positive Xbox One Rumor = something is still wrong = more sources are needed, site posting are MS fanboys

Positive PS4 Rumor = 100% true. best thing EVA! = no source needed

Hmmmm.....seeing a pattern.

No, your precious ain't the exciting boy on the block anymore. MS have ignored what made their last console great and made massive compromises so they can shoehorn in shite the market doesn't want and couldn't care less about.

Sony made the same mistakes and learnt from them.

Fact is if the PS4 only had 2GB of gddr5 for games it would still be the best gaming machine by a long chalk when comparing the rest of the specs of the two competing machines. Devs have 5gb now according to the rumours and Sony and MS will slowly release more as things are locked down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom