• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Ensoul

I loved the first games but as with most games I may wait a few weeks or a month for the inevitable price drop. Regardless I am looking forward to giving this a try soon.

2-3 hours, depending on how much you explore. Upgrades aren't nearly as big of a deal as the main campaign though so you can probably speed through it if need be.

Alright, I'll probably just speed through them then. And by speed through I mean I won't load every five seconds because I get spotted by someone.

Impulsor

imo no, there is small recap during opening cinematics. Some say you should play DLC's of first, but that is up to you. In general consider playing first game, it's quite good.

I will. I'm getting the definitive edition for free with the game.

Just wanted to know, since it seems 2 is better than 2, at least gameplay wise.

Sorry for a kinda technical question in a the official thread, but how do you guys with decent rigs run this game at acceptable framerates on PC? Do you just lock it to 45 or something?

I don't think even I've ever been this disappointed by a video game of all things in my life. It plays great, AI is fun, but it literally makes me sick to play

Stoze

Just had an amusing moment with the AI.

Far Rached up to a window, which a guard saw partway. Put him in Alert but not Combat status. So he goes looking for me. Bad news for him is that there was a closed dumpster full of bloodflies nearby. He looks for me in there, unleashes the flies, and gets killed, and so do the other half of the guards in the area.

So yeah, the AI is a lot more interesting this time around.

I do wonder if this counts as me killing them or toward high chaos though.

You can check if you killed people immediately by pausing and going to stats. Shows them for the current mission, total, and global (presumably all playthroughs).

Soooo.... I'm playing on Pro, and IQ is great?

If this is spotty, I really don't know what good looks like.

Performance, well, coming from a solid 60fps game is always a little strange, but it's perfectly fine and nowhere near the type of performance of, say, Mankind Divided.

Performance, well, coming from a solid 60fps game is always a little strange, but it's perfectly fine and nowhere near the type of performance of, say, Mankind Divided.

Maybe non-Pro is where performance struggles? I don't have a Pro so I'm kinda holding off until hearing about how it does on Unprofessional PS4s.

Did I miss something at some point?

I was trapped in a room, escaped through an open window, and now I'm being rescued by some people at the docks? At least in the first game Corvo was freed from jail by them. How did I know to go to the docks to find rescue?

Tovarisc

I was trapped in a room, escaped through an open window, and now I'm being rescued by some people at the docks? At least in the first game Corvo was freed from jail by them. How did I know to go to the docks to find rescue?

Captain of the guard told you about the ship and its captain before she passed away from that stab wound.

Corpekata

Banned

The dying redhead aide tells you about it / has a note near her about it.

Gumbie

I'm confused...is the pro version 60fps?

He is saying that coming from playing at 60fps it is strange to play the pro version at 30 fps, but that it is fine.
Yup, this. I'd just played Rocket League, BF1 and TLOU, so obviously 30fps is not going to feel as smooth.

But having played some more D2 now, it's a non-issue on Pro. As good as 30fps gets, pretty much.

Impulsor

Yup, this. I'd just played Rocket League, BF1 and TLOU, so obviously 30fps is not going to feel as smooth.

But having played some more D2 now, it's a non-issue on Pro. As good as 30fps gets, pretty much.

How is the input lag? People on gamefaqs are reporting it has a similar input lag to original Rise of the Tomb raider

How is the input lag? People on gamefaqs are reporting it has a similar input lag to original Rise of the Tomb raider
The game feels slightly floaty, but I'm not sure if that's due to the mechanics or due to input lag.

It's responsive enough, so far. Not an issue.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does this game have a full talent tree for just stealth/no kills? I hated in the first game that only like 1/4 of the upgrades were viable for a stealth/no kill play through.

thenexus6

Oh shit I didn't know that
Vincent D'Onofrio
was voicing a character in this!

First impressions, not very far at all though..

- Graphics are muddy and not great overall
- Art direction and soundtrack and ambience are great like the first game
- Controls feel a little floaty so far

This is on PS4

Oh shit I didn't know that
Vincent D'Onofrio
was voicing a character in this!

First impressions, not very far at all though..

- Graphics are muddy and not great overall
- Art direction and soundtrack and ambience are great like the first game
- Controls feel a little floaty so far

This is on PS4

Are you playing on a Pro or regular PS4? If the latter, I'd really appreciate your impressions of the performance.

As someone having just literally now finished playing the first games two DLC's...(they're decent), I personally recommend just reading a recap / quick rundown of the story. There's barely anything significant (imo). The story isn't exactly enthralling. It's all about the mechanics and aesthetic.

Bottom line is, don't feel like you're missing out. Waiting for my copy of Dishonored 2 to arrive, but Tyranny beckons me in 50 minutes.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How long are the two Daud DLC packs for the first game by the way?

3 areas per DLC, I think. They're pretty detailed, so it depends how much of a completion it's you are. A couple of hours each, maybe?

is it a must to play the first one?

I'd say so, but...

imo no, there is small recap during opening cinematics. Some say you should play DLC's of first, but that is up to you. In general consider playing first game, it's quite good.

Yeah, they'd be idiots not to recap it, but isn't it a direct continuation (minus the 15 years) of the two threads started in 1?

No not really. You'll find out more about the villain and what they tried to do before but it was like 15 years ago, so you're not going to be lost on what's going on right now.

Sure, I was going off the fact the poster said "fully".

As someone having just literally now finished playing the first games two DLC's...(they're decent), I personally recommend just reading a recap / quick rundown of the story. There's barely anything significant (imo). The story isn't exactly enthralling. It's all about the mechanics and aesthetic.

Bottom line is, don't feel like you're missing out. Waiting for my copy of Dishonored 2 to arrive, but Tyranny beckons me in 50 minutes.

Welp. Seems I'm alone on this one. :D

I thought the DLC story was really good. DLC was better than the main game on all fronts imo.

That's what I get for not paying enough attention to what's going on in-game. Thx

Honestly, I don't blame you. I was amazed how rushed the whole introduction felt. No time to set up the setting of Dunwall many years after the plague, or the political climate that would cause the Empress to have multiple public enemies. Instead, we got some flimsy characterization via rapid dialogue that had the characters stepping on each other's lines, and a revelation that raises too many questions, even for players of the first game. Even the first meeting with the Outsider is visually free of useful information. I get that they probably wanted to get to the action quickly, but I missed the more measured opening of the first game. The bath from boat to Emily to Empress to dungeon told you a lot about the setting in a way that this game doesn't. I've only played the first mission so far but I hope the narrative picks up down the line.

On the plus side, the level design for the first mission is much better than the first game. All the little side paths and nooks that make level exploration such a joy have me pretty excited for the future missions.

Karak

Its actually VERY noticeable. Is it as bad as Tomb Raider? It feels just a tiny bit better but it was noticable enough to send many of us diving into IRC to discuss refresh rates.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm having a hard-time figuring out any trustworthy impressions from this thread. A lot seem like whiny nitpicking, most are just too vague.

Is this potential GOTY material or not?That's all I really care about. If it is better than Dishonored, then the immediate and resounding answer should be "FUCK YES".

I don't give a shit about 2 FPS frame drops. Give me a 1-10 on the game please. For Fucksake.

PS... love you! :)

Impulsor

Its actually VERY noticeable. Is it as bad as Tomb Raider? It feels just a tiny bit better but it was noticable enough to send many of us diving into IRC to discuss refresh rates.

Wow, that's not good to hear :(

I may wait for a patch if so.

I'm having a hard-time figuring out any trustworthy impressions from this thread. A lot seem like whiny nitpicking, most are just too vague.

Is this potential GOTY material or not?That's all I really care about. If it is better than Dishonored, then the immediate and resounding answer should be "FUCK YES".

I don't give a shit about 2 FPS frame drops. Give me a 1-10 on the game please. For Fucksake.

PS... love you! :)

Played about five hours, pure stealth with Emily. Environments are more open, AI is way better and really ups the difficulty, haven't been able to try any new powers. In terms of mission structure and story, seems to be taking a little longer to get going, there isn't a assassination in every chapter but there's side missions to supplement that. Lasf mission, going for the pacifist route, really, really involved, more branches than anything in the first game, if the game has more missions like it, then it could very well be better than the original.

Hearing the PC port is janky makes me happy I decided to wait on impressions. I've got plenty to get through until this goes on sale eventually.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How long are the two Daud DLC packs for the first game by the way?

Just finished the first DLC last week and took close to 3 hours. It could have lasted longer, but I rushed the last mission and didn't spend nearly as much time exploring as the first two. If you critical path it and play in High Chaos, you could easily trim that time down to a fraction. Oh and I thought it was quite good(but clearly the first half of a 2-part story that mostly sets up Brigmore Witches). The actual level layout is great and the game pausing during blink to properly aim your warp without consequence is a great improvement over vanilla.

Going to start Brigmore Witches after my PS4 Pro transfer.

Top Bottom