• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlantic Hurricane season 2017 |OT|

Vestal

Gold Member
Governor of PR has issued an executive order enforcing a curfew starting tonight at 6pm extending till Saturday at 6am.

Vestal

Gold Member
Any Gaffers in Ponce or have any information of it?? Entire wifes family is from there and we have not seen any news or had any communication with anyone there for over 18hrs now.

Any Gaffers in Ponce or have any information of it?? Entire wifes family is from there and we have not seen any news or had any communication with anyone there for over 18hrs now.

I know it must be stressing. I haven't heard from anyone either. However, I believe reporters have swept the main parts of the island and Catano was the most affected destroying over 80 percent of the area. I haven't seen any reports come from Ponce which hopefully means it is okay.

Mindlog

If it's anything like Isabella trying to make a phone call is impossible, but texts are more likely to be received.

I had a good time in Ponce and La Guancha. Hope to go back soon.

Vestal

Gold Member
I know it must be stressing. I haven't heard from anyone either. However, I believe reporters have swept the main parts of the island and Catano was the most affected destroying over 80 percent of the area. I haven't seen any reports come from Ponce which hopefully means it is okay.

Saw a picture of Las Delicias were the water was almost to the top of Houses. Sorry for potato quality.

V4dnK08.jpg

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Sister's friend flew to Puerto Rico 3 days ago because his father died and now he says Maria destroyed his house. He sent her a picture and circled where the house used to be, there's nothing there anymore. Poor guy.

gdt

For anyone still wondering if South Florida would get hit, the NWS in Miami has said 100% it won't be.

Got a link or the most recent path?

I’m super interested in Miami but I also want to see how this goes over the Dominican Republic, I have a ton of family there and I was born there actually.

Vestal

Gold Member
Any word on Comerio? My mom is telling me her home town was destroyed.

I also have a uncle who lives in Camino Real in Guaynabo

A lot of parts of Guaynabo were flooded. Here is a pic taken earlier today of one area of Guaynabo. Primerahora.com and Endi.com has a lot of images of the damage.

td81OYQ.jpg

Below is a picture from behind my dads building in a parking lot.. That van was parked about 100 feet were it lays now..

YXPfu0E.jpg

Miggytronz

Still no word on my family in Sabana Grande. I saw my mom this afternoon and all she could do was hug me and cry for 30min. Her sisters are all there. My cousins. Their kids. My dads side of his family. It’s so hard to watch this unfold on what I see as the most beautiful place I’ve called home.

Maria has restrengthened to a cat 3 with winds of 115 MPH (110 in the prior update).

BULLETIN
Hurricane Maria Intermediate Advisory Number 20A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL152017
200 AM AST Thu Sep 21 2017

...MARIA REGAINS MAJOR HURRICANE STATUS NEAR THE EASTERN DOMINICAN
REPUBLIC...
...TORRENTIAL RAINS CONTINUE OVER PUERTO RICO...

SUMMARY OF 200 AM AST...0600 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...19.4N 68.2W
ABOUT 55 MI...90 KM N OF PUNTA CANA DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
ABOUT 235 MI...380 KM SE OF GRAND TURK ISLAND
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115 MPH...185 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 310 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...959 MB...28.32 INCHES

teiresias

So models are trending to agree on little to no east coast impact? Is there still questionable variability depending on Jose in this track though?

GodofWine

So models are trending to agree on little to no east coast impact? Is there still questionable variability depending on Jose in this track though?

Its looking more and more like Maria is going to be pushed away, but the models are also juggling two storms at once and who knows. But their is a dip in the Jet coming, and it should push the storms away.

Can't believe we only JUST entered the peak of the season.

Vestal

Gold Member
Its looking more and more like Maria is going to be pushed away, but the models are also juggling two storms at once and who knows. But their is a dip in the Jet coming, and it should push the storms away.

Can't believe we only JUST entered the peak of the season.

East Atlantic should be winding down soon and we need to get ready for the GOM portion of the season..

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
I know pretty much every model has Maria moving up the coast and possibly making landfall in the Carolinas, but as a Floridian I'm not keeping an eye off of this thing until I see that turn to the NNW or N and it's still moving NW right now. Obviously I don't want it to hit the mainland US at all, but I'm just concerned that this thing isn't turning yet.

teiresias

I know pretty much every model has Maria moving up the coast and possibly making landfall in the Carolinas, but as a Floridian I'm not keeping an eye off of this thing until I see that turn to the NNW or N and it's still moving NW right now. Obviously I don't want it to hit the mainland US at all, but I'm just concerned that this thing isn't turning yet.

Ummm, pretty much no model is showing landfall in the Carolinas (or anywhere for that matter). Of course, subject to change depending on Jose and the resulting pressure system, but any landfall is more likely to be well north of the Carolinas at this point.

11am NHC update did jog it a bit west at the end of the forecast though:

144253_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Ummm, pretty much no model is showing landfall in the Carolinas (or anywhere for that matter). Of course, subject to change depending on Jose and the resulting pressure system, but any landfall is more likely to be well north of the Carolinas at this point.

Sorry, I worded that poorly. Every model has it moving up the coast, but there are a few models (maybe 4 or 5 out of however many there are, and of course there are a lot of them) in the Euro ensemble that have it impacting the Carolinas (well, I guess more North Carolina into Virginia) and quite a few of them have it coming close:

Z0vZoCd.png

Kusagari

Yeah, people shouldn't just assume the Carolina's or NE are out of the woods when it comes to Maria at this point. It would take a massive forecasting error for Maria to be a threat to Florida though.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Yeah, people shouldn't just assume the Carolina's or NE are out of the woods when it comes to Maria at this point. It would take a massive forecasting error for Maria to be a threat to Florida though.

I know it's an irrational fear, but I'll feel better once I see that turn.

Agkel

There are pictures of Comerio in PR Informa on facebook.

21686137_1703921006325956_7670191306196767511_n.jpg

21752319_1703921299659260_6649956804226818607_n.jpg

Fuck!

I was afraid of this. My wife's family is from Comerio and this is the first update I've seen online. I'm shaking right now... I honestly don't think I'll show my wife yet.

I'm from the North part of the island and every update I've gotten, is destruction everywhere. 10 confirmed deaths so far.

Sorry, I worded that poorly. Every model has it moving up the coast, but there are a few models (maybe 4 or 5 out of however many there are, and of course there are a lot of them) in the Euro ensemble that have it impacting the Carolinas (well, I guess more North Carolina into Virginia) and quite a few of them have it coming close:

I wouldn't go too heavily on Spaghetti models because they're showing you everything. What I've been trying to do is just note how much variance there are in the runs by GFS/Euro. Euro has been fairly consistent in the last three storms.

How can delta resume flights on Saturday to PR if they have no power
Its possible, I flew out of a JFK in NY during that massive east coast blackout. They did everything by hand it was impressive. Probably have generators for the tower and stuff like that.

Griss

Had a fun day on the beach this morning in borderline tropical storm force winds. Was able to really lean over into them. Some great waves, too.

This thing is really sticking around, first squalls we got were yesterday at around 2pm. What a slow moving storm. Where I am will take no damage or flooding at all from this one - for all intents and purposes it has simply missed us - but the problem is all the time people spent preparing for this one has delayed the Irma cleanup which is still ongoing. So many people still without roofs and water from that one.

Top Bottom