• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2017 (Jun 05 - Jun 11)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
To be fair, 3DS only had Monster Hunter 3G and Inazuma Eleven GO by a third party at the end of 2011.

(Not counting irrelevant games)

I think the first layton on 3DS sold more than any switch third party game will sell this year?
Plus MH3G clearly sold and moved many hw units thanks to the MH4 confirmation
And this is partially true for the entire lineup looking at how the entire Japanese landscape was gearing get up officially to support it

KtSlime

They were busy swimming in money lake that DQX make for them.

Development of DQXI start around early 2015 using same old DQX team (now X is in the hands of new recruit)
3DS was a afterthough tho.

An afterthought is a thought that comes later which has little importance, what they did was a course correction. After realizing it would be a bad idea to let the series shrink by 80% they decided to remake the game for 3DS.

casiopao

it was probably planned in 2013, they wanted to use the DQ brand to sell it on the ps4 while making it more appealing to the west so that the sales in the west will make up for it

The problem with that view is, DQ had almost zero brand power outside JP.

goldage

Banned
Double dippers will be the exception, not the rule. PS4 sales will mainly make up for those who won't buy 3DS version, and there is still another version coming later.
i never suggested double dippers will have any impact at all

so if ps4 makes up for 3ds lost sales then why would dqxi debut any lower than dqix combined?

yes no doubt some people would be waiting for the switch version but i dont think its a huge number, 3ds covers the portability/casual crowd, ps4 covers the graphics/home console crowd, there isn't much incentive to wait for the switch version other than to double dip

if switch does have an impact on the sales then it'll be to the total sales rather than fw numbers

ds was at 27m when launched, ps4+3ds is currently at 27m

I think the first layton on 3DS sold more than any switch third party game will sell this year?
And this is partially true for the entire lineup looking at how the entire Japanese landscape was gearing get up officially to support it

MHXX will outsell it. i think fire emblem warriors has a fair chance as well.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
DQ is a 4m franchise. That it approached 4,5m with DS doesn't make it the norm. If it makes these numbers again only with 3DS/PS4 it will exceed 5m in total. That simply isn't happening. There is a roof at everything and a reason SE abandoned original plans for PS4 only and added a Switch version even later.

goldage

Banned
DQ is a 4m franchise. That it approached 4,5m with DS doesn't make it the norm. If it makes these numbers again only with 3DS/PS4 it will exceed 5m in total. That simply isn't happening. There is a roof at everything and a reason SE abandoned original plans for PS4 only and added a Switch version even later.
we are talking about fw numbers, even if dqxi declines it is likely to to be more frontloaded due to being released on two platforms meaning a better fw number had it not been

how much switch affects its overall sale is unknown at the moment, especially when a release date hasn't even been announced, the number of people holding off for it wont be huge at the moment, maybe when a rrelease date gets announced it'll have an impact

Vinnk

then you are in for a surprise. DQXI on 3DS will do 2-3 millions in its first week

If it did 2 million FW, it would be one of the biggest game launches in the history of gaming in Japan. If it did 3 million it would be the biggest ever.

And the previous milestones were in a world before mobile.

But yeah someone is indeed in for a surprise.

Mato

Combined, both versions of Zelda BOTW have sold 625 308 units. To reach 1 million units before the end of the year, they need to sell at least 374692 units during the next 29 weeks, and that’s about 12 920 units per week.

Any idea where the ww total stands?

ggx2ac

If it did 2 million FW, it would be one of the biggest game launches in the history of gaming in Japan. If it did 3 million it would be the biggest ever.

My god, if it also launched on Switch at the same time it could do 4 million FW.

/jk

Oregano

KT is full on board with Switch, it's the first "big" Japanese company that did so quick shift to it after initial sales.

I hope this is sarcasm.

I don't think it's accurate to say KT is full on board when their only upcoming release of note(Dynasty Warriors) is skipping the platform and the other sub-brands will follow that lead. Nevermind their other big brands.

Where is your god now, DQ fans?

muwahahahahaha

Huh, what's this referring to?

i still think DQ has it in japan. even the remakes usually do a million.

I don't think it's accurate to say KT is full on board when their only upcoming release of note(Dynasty Warriors) is skipping the platform and the other sub-brands will follow that lead. Nevermind their other big brands.

Huh, what's this referring to?

well we can assume that the next fatal frame will be on switch unless nintendo doesnt want it due to poor sales (but if that was the case FF on WiiU shouldnt have been made in the first place)

Reposting from the other thread (thanks to Kresnik258 and KtSlime for the correction!).

Given how a few pages earlier it was posted a PS4 vs Switch comparison with titles divided per publisher, I decided to use it as a different way to represent one of the main criterias I used for inter-generational support comparisons, i.e.

"Releases by Japanese publishers / developers from the launch to the console's first Holiday (in case of an Holiday release, the subsequent one)"

The original post - http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232713155&postcount=682
The most recent update - http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239275878&postcount=769

Nintendo 3DS

Total - 63 third party games released

PlayStation Vita

Total - 65

Wii U

Total - 16

PlayStation 4

Total - 20

Nintendo Switch

Total* - 21 as of June 14th, 2017

* = Fire Emblem Warriors not included due to its peculiar status

Honestly, I think this kind of comparisons can highlight also how much the industry changed in the past few years, between several companies not existing anymore and the rise of digital-only titles (as a reminder, 3DS did not have the eShop at launch, and it released back in March 2011).

Ignore me - poor reading.

L~A

Next major update for Yo-kai Watch 3 is out this Summer. Ver. 4.0 will add more version exclusive Yo-kai and T-Busters Mode Yo-kai. Release date coming soon, but my guess is sometime in August.

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201706150072/

Unless I missed it, nothing on whether this is the last major update or not.

ßig;240769169 said:
Champion Jockey Special and Winning Post 8 2017 (Switch version) are both coming out on September 14.

Ah, so both on the same day huh. Weird choice, but then again, it's KT.

Zelda DLC has a download card, we'll see it at Famitsu.

Actual DL card, or just special Nintendo eShop funds card?

Any idea where the ww total stands?

July 27th with Q1 financial results! :)

hiska-kun

Your original comment was talking about how Switch sales will perform compared to 3DS within the end of the year, so Layton and other third party games released the first half of 2011 have nothing to do.

MH3G and IEGO were the 2 only third party relevant games. You might have a point with the MH4 announcement, though.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Your original comment was talking about how Switch sales will perform compared to 3DS within the end of the year, so Layton and other third party games released the first half of 2011 have nothing to do.

The share of third party support at 3DS sales at its first year is as relevant as for Switch.

MH3G release and MH4 announcement played a part but everything else had minimal impact. Switch will have better first year software sales for both first and third parties than 3DS either way.

DQ11 seems to be over performing on PS4 or the 3DS SKU is under performing notably. Perhaps pre-order ratio is less significant for DQ. 3 million should be achievable, 4 million seems very unlikely.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
ARM's now has two sku's high on Amazon Japan regular at number two and the one with Splatoon code at number 4. Will be interesting to see how it does In the end.

No, but we'LL get WW sales numbers in the Nintendo Q1FY earnings release, which releases I believe July 26th (or 29th?). Edit: July 27th apparently.

Anyone noticed how Nintendo's biggest Switch games are each launching in the same week of earnings releases? Mario Kart, Splatoon​ 2 and Odyssey so far, makes me wonder what late January could hold.

Passose

Banned
Pokemon for Switch is 2018 or 2019. They will have hit bottom by then.
but Why don't they go first?I think Mario Kart 8D and Mario Odyssey will draw a large amount of the young audience, a proper Layon or Yokai Watch game withh proper marketing would help them before 2019

Vinnk

I thought this was interesting. So I kind of broke down what KT does. Yeah, a mainline Dynasty Warriors looks unlikely. I also think these titles would be unlikely/impossible:

Dead or Alive (Likely won't come to Switch)
Nioh (If they make another one, it probably will be PS4 console exclusive)

These are the series likely or already on the Switch

Winning Post (Has Switch version)
Nobunaga's Ambition (Has Switch version)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Has Switch version)
Fatal Frame series (Would likely be Switch if they make another one)
Nights of Azure (Coming to Switch)

To break it up by Divisions:

Tecmo This is probably the division that would be most adverse to making Switch games. They try to push the tech and have an outlook toward the West.

Koei They port their sim games to everything. Even the Wii U. Switch will continue to get them. They will probably continue to not sell that well, but that doesn't seem to matter.

Omega Force. Switch will get FE, One Piece and maybe another Zelda but not main series or Toukiden (they could put one on the Switch, the engine works on the PS3, but they probably won't bother).

Ruby Party Stuff is almost exclusively mobile or handheld (3DS and Vita). The last console title they released was for the PS2. They are not going to move to the PS4 exclusively. They will put something out on the Switch or Switch/PS4 or they will go full mobile (that might be the likely one).

GUST I suppose it depends how Nights of Azure does. But I still don't see them surviving in a PS4 only ecosystem when the Vita is no longer viable. At this time they don't produce the type of titles that wouldn't be possible on the Switch, it matters more if they feel it is worth it.

Random:

Ninja Gaiden I kind of doubt any console will get new one for a while, but would likely skip the switch. Then again the DS got a Ninja Gaiden spinoff game so who knows anymore.

Deception I don't see a new installment this generation. But the engine they used supported both the Vita and PS3, so it would be possible.

Any games I am missing?

Bruno MB

There are lots of titles to chose from for the prediction league of July.

What I will do is to exclude Dragon Quest XI since this game deserves its own prediction league including its effect on the hardware.

3DS Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
3DS Ever Oasis
3DS Hey! Pikmin
3DS New Nintendo 2DS XL (Black and Turquoise)
3DS The Snack World: TreJarers
3DS Dragon Quest XI: Sugi Sarishi Toki o Motomete

NSW Splatoon 2

PS4 Gundam Versus
PS4 Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
PS4 Dragon Quest XI: Sugi Sarishi Toki o Motomete

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
but Why don't they go first?I think Mario Kart 8D and Mario Odyssey will draw a large amount of the young audience, a proper Layon or Yokai Watch game with proper marketing would help them before 2019

Every Level 5 new IP has failure written on it and from the old only Yo-Kai Watch still has power left. Layton and Inazuma Eleven revivals will be shadows of the past.

If somehow they manage to maintain or increase Yo-Kai Watch sales it will keep them relevant for some longer. This won't happen on dying 3DS and as a franchise it's far nowadays from forcing its young audience to move from 3DS to expensive Switch.

Oregano

Poor pre-order.

That's only really true for the 3DS SKU though right?

well we can assume that the next fatal frame will be on switch unless nintendo doesnt want it due to poor sales (but if that was the case FF on WiiU shouldnt have been made in the first place)

It depends when those deals were made. FF5 probably went into production before the extent of Wii U's struggled were known.

Laplasakos

DQ11 seems to be over performing on PS4 or the 3DS SKU is under performing notably. Perhaps pre-order ratio is less significant for DQ. 3 million should be achievable, 4 million seems very unlikely.

Seeing COMG and chains like Amazon, i think that the PS4 version is performing better than what most people believed initially and the 3DS is performing worse. Still, the 3DS version will sell more.

I also think that the game will open lower than DQIX. Every big franchise in on decline, MHP3-MH4, FF13-FF15, YW2-YW3 and DQ will not be the exception.

Bruno MB

PREDICTION LEAGUE JULY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jun 26 to Jul 30):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) -
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) -
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) -
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) -
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) -
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) -
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: June 21 2017 09:00 am (EST)

Attention:
  • Remember for some games it's not only the 1st week.
  • Multiplatform entries are the combined available sales of each platform described.

Rules:
  • Do not edit your post after the deadline. If you do, you'll be disqualified.
  • The official monthly hardware sales will be the sum of weekly numbers for all versions of the system available from Famitsu.
  • The official monthly software sales will be the latest total or the sum of the weekly numbers if the title is release before the period available from the Famitsu Top 30.
  • The official monthly sales for multi-platform releases will be the combined available sales of each platform shown in the title entry.
  • The official monthly sales for games with multiple versions will be the combined available sales of each version shown in the title entry.
  • Any game missing in the Famitsu top 30 will be taken out of the predictions.

Chauzu

I won't do any predictions but I am very much looking forward to what people predict for that special last game on the list.

Bruno MB

Nintendo 3DS's last hurra.

Will any of this last batch of titles not underperform or outright bomb?

07/13
New Nintendo 2DS XL (Black and Turquoise)
Ever Oasis
Hey! Pikmin
The Snack World: TreJarer

07/20
Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle to Daifugou no Inbou

07/31
Dragon Quest XI: Sugi Sarishi Toki o Motomete

Dragon Quest XI won't bomb but if it struggles to get to 2.5 million lifetime it will be very sad.

Orgen

PREDICTION LEAGUE JULY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jun 26 to Jul 30):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 351.000
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) - 243.000
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) - 104.000
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 98.000
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) - 117.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) - 143.000
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) - 796.000

Top Bottom