• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U High-Capacity GamePad battery pack now available in U.S.

Damn that's a lot of money but I'm highly considering it. It seems like every time I turn around I'm running out of battery with this thing. I'm not willing to forgo rumble and decent screen brightness (at least for games where I need to look at the gamepad, and it's not just mirroring what's on the TV) just to eke out a little extra time.

Vylash

Hope Nintendo eventually sells it at retail (doubtful) so the price can go down. It's a nice convenience but over $30 for going from 3-5 hours to 5-8 hours isn't worth it. I'll eventually get it but probably in 2015.

It's on Amazon UK, so if they have it there it should show up on Amazon here eventually

Honestly, the charge cradle almost negates the battery life problem altogether for me. I put my gamepad in its cradle every second that I'm not using it, and rarely am I playing my Wii U for >3 hours in a single sitting. So really, I've never even ran out of battery in the entire time that I've owned the system. Still, I'm compelled to buy this battery just for the fuck of it.

Jomjom

Banned
Wow this is almost as bad as Sony with Vita memory cards. This battery should have been free for us early Wii U adopters. The battery life on the gamepad out of the box is pitiful and unacceptable.

Persona7

Banned
Up to 8 hours? How much is it without it? D:

I would say the average is like 2 hours and 45 minutes and this is with a brand new wii u my friend just bought. When it first launched I can't remember what the settings my other friend used but I think everything was turned down and it was maybe 3:25 minutes on average.

Honestly, the charge cradle almost negates the battery life problem altogether for me. I put my gamepad in its cradle every second that I'm not using it, and rarely am I playing my Wii U for >3 hours in a single sitting. So really, I've never even ran out of battery in the entire time that I've owned the system.

Yeah, me too. I wish it was longer just in principle, but in real life it's never been an issue for me. Same thing with my 3DS XL; it lives on the charging cradle whenever I'm not playing it, so it's always ready to go.

BooJoh

I noticed they have the Wii Remote battery packs and cradle too. Going to set me back about $100 to get two Remote Batteries with 1 cradle and a Gamepad battery, so I'll wait for after Christmas and hopefully an Amazon release.

Wow, like the XL CPP, this got stealth released...except this time it didn't take as long!

Hrm...$37 total, definitely cheaper than importing, but it's not a priority right now despite the fact that I really want it and think the current battery is lame.

Maybe if other retailers were selling it at a better price, then I'll bite.

If the price goes down I may get one, but I get 4+ hours now and since I can plug it in while I'm playing it's really not a problem for me.

I did pick up a Nyko battery pack for $9 alsi but I rarely use it since it isn't as comfortable with it and I hardly ever needed it anyway. Was just easier to plug in the charge cable and keep gaming. Still glad this is out, but feel like the price should be lower since the original battery insufficient without plugging it in.

This battery should be $19.99 tops, not $40 after tax + shipping. If it was a better battery, like 10-12 hours it might be worth the price.

trixx

$32 dollars is insane i'd expect to see the pro contoller on sale for that much. At the same time i was planning on ordering the wii remote and nunchuck for $20. $7 for shipping is rough though

Moosehole

That is a ridiculous price especially when this product only exists to right a previous wrong.

If it drops in price I'll pick one up, otherwise I will stay connected to the wall.

tronic307

$32 dollars is insane i'd expect to see the pro contoller on sale for that much. At the same time i was planning on ordering the wii remote and nunchuck for $20. $7 for shipping is rough though
I paid $50, but I didn't feel like waiting for the NA version.

Het_Nkik

Definitely getting one next paycheck. I'm tired of that red light and having to swap in my GamePad charger for my 3DS charger.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Will buy. I hate the goddamn Gamepad currently due to the battery draining so fast. I've put a lot of time into Wii U games over the last week, but almost all of them involved me using a Pro Controller or Wiimote with the gamepad firmly stuck in its charge cradle next to the console.

This should help to entice me to use the thing a bit more.

Edit: Oh its the official 2550mAH version. Didn't Nyko have a version that was 4000mAH before it was pulled? I'm a bit weary about the 8 hours proposed time since that was what many said the Nyko version offered. Still it is an upgrade I suppose.

MechDX

What exactly is wrong with the Nyko? Just now picked one up from Sears! Literally in my lap as I type this!

tenchir

What exactly is wrong with the Nyko? Just now picked one up from Sears! Literally in my lap as I type this!

From the previous thread about the battery, the connector seems to be of poor quality. Quite a few people had trouble charging the battery because the connectors weren't making proper contacts so the wire had to be "twisted" to get it to work.

The Nyko I have is working perfectly, but I do recall that other people had to twist the cable to get theirs to charge.

NeOak

Will buy. I hate the goddamn Gamepad currently due to the battery draining so fast. I've put a lot of time into Wii U games over the last week, but almost all of them involved me using a Pro Controller or Wiimote with the gamepad firmly stuck in its charge cradle next to the console.

This should help to entice me to use the thing a bit more.

Edit: Oh its the official 2550mAH version. Didn't Nyko have a version that was 4000mAH before it was pulled? I'm a bit weary about the 8 hours proposed time since that was what many said the Nyko version offered. Still it is an upgrade I suppose.

This one actually works and gives 8hrs.

Cheap cells, so YMMV on it.

Sorry for your loss man, but if you're very and I mean VERY lucky, you might get that Nyko piece of shit to work. I can say this as a former owner of that Power Pak and it is simply made poorly with it's wire connection (the most important part). At least I got a full refund.

Deku Tree

I have my charger hiding behind my couch. Very easy to plug in at any moment. Not sure I need this. $32 seems steep for what you are getting.

tronic307

Sorry for your loss man, but if you're very and I mean VERY lucky, you might get that Nyko piece of shit to work. I can say this as a former owner of that Power Pak and it is simply made poorly with it's wire connection (the most important part). At least I got a full refund.
The replacement that Nyko sent did work, but the first batch was garbage. The Nintendo extended battery is lighter and just works, period.

I have my charger hiding behind my couch. Very easy to plug in at any moment. Not sure I need this. $32 seems steep for what you are getting.
It is kind of steep for Li-ion; it would be nice if it was Li-poly.

entremet

Why is this not the battery that comes with the Wii U in the first place?

Oh, Nintendo, so much mistakes with the Wii U project.

chifanpoe

Has Nyko fixed the connector of their own battery for this?Isn't the nyko the one with more capacity ?

I have one of the Nyko ones off of amazon. I twisted the connector 3 times then plugged it. Have not any any issues sense, lasts around 9 hours on a charge.

Gameboy415

FINALLY!
I just ordered one along with a pair of rechargeable battery packs for Wiimotes (one with the charger) and a refurbished blue Wii Motion Plus remote/nunchuk combo.

DoubleTap

I've been waiting for Nintendo US to get this but I can't get on board with that price.
I'll just leave the pad on the cradle plugged into the WiiU via USB. I've been happy just using it as a second screen and using a WiiU pro controller.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Bought the day this was posted, still no movement on the order. :(
I was just checking the product page for this earlier today and it says it's on backorder, with an expected shipping date of the second week of January.

SuperPac

I ordered one as soon as I saw Nintendo's post about the Pack being on sale on Facebook (and before I made this thread). I got a shipping confirmation on Christmas Eve but it hasn't shown up yet. :(

Edit: according to the tracking number it won't arrive until early next week. Ah well.

SuperPac

Received mine today (ordered immediately when they announced it's availability via Facebook). Installation was fairly painless. The instructions reference an "included screwdriver" that is not included. It's a crosshead style, size 0 in case others wanna make sure they've got one handy.

Adds some weight to the GamePad - but I'll take it being a little heavier to be able to play longer on a charge.

Top Bottom