• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model pics leaked

Coal

Well, I'd assume they want to get this model to $99 at some point in the future, and a top loader is cheaper than a slot-loading drive.

Isn't the Wii 99 dollars now or something though? Even with the PS3 being completely different hardware-wise I doubt that the slot-loading drives are the expensive parts here.

Durante

Isn't the Wii 99 dollars now or something though? Even with the PS3 being completely different hardware-wise I doubt that the slot-loading drives are the expensive parts here.
At such low retail prices what "the expensive parts" are doesn't matter much anymore. You need to get everything as cheap as possible. (The Wii isn't a good comparison, its internal components are dirt cheap already)

Coal

At such low retail prices what "the expensive parts" are doesn't matter much anymore. You need to get everything as cheap as possible. (The Wii isn't a good comparison, it's internal components are dirt cheap already)

True, my main question is just that I'm wondering how MUCH more expensive it is to use a slot-loading drive as opposed to a piece of plastic that slides back.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
newps3.jpg

Not so bad looking now, huh? :)

Is this one of those Neogaf > Internet > Neogaf moments, lol.

Has the slide top been confirmed by anything, or is that speculation? Because I just don't see why they would do that OR top loading, it's pretty perfect as is if you ask me. Doesn't really make sense to change it.

Price. A drive like this would cost less then the current slot loading one. How much less? I have no clue, but to huge corporations even a $1.50 less per unit is seen as a "win" so the amount they are saving would likely sound stupid to us no matter what. Remember the slim revision removed a couple tiny LED's including the miniscule HDD one....

All this aside I want to see real size comparisons between this and the current slim. If this one has an external PSU, and is much smaller width wise, count me in. Also would depend on how quiet the disc drive is, and its design (I never liked the PS2 slims little arm that held the disc in place). The current Slims (with the all matte finish, not the first releases) have really loud drives.

*edit*
cpTzF.jpg

If this is accurate then I am definitely in.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Good lord this thing is hideous. It looks like an early devkit cobbled together from leftover PS2s.

Based on MYE's comparison pic it's roughly the same dimensions as the original PS2, slightly deeper but not as tall. And obviously curvier.

A 16gb ps3 would ultimately be bad for the consumers since so many ps3 titles require large mandatory installs

No it wouldn't. I have a 160gb ps3 and I'm probably using less than 16gb of it. Point is, not every game has some gigantic install and not everyone needs all that space. If Sony prices this model competitively, then it's a good option to have. And flash storage is faster than HDD and more reliable.

Plus it will still have a HDD slot so it's not like you'd be shit out of luck if you end up needing more space.

So is everyone thinking Sony plans to release this at a new low price around the Wii U launch to undercut Nintendo?

That would be the smart thing to do. But they could be dumb and price the 16gb at $199 and keep the other models the same price.

AOC83

Banned
So is everyone thinking Sony plans to release this at a new low price around the Wii U launch to undercut Nintendo?

In combination with more family friendly software like Wonderbook, LBP Karting and Sony Smash Brothers that´d be a smart move.

spwolf

If this was a fully backwards compatible machine I would consider it. Still have my original PS3.

well, i would say that 99.999999% point towards it not being backwards compatible.

They are taking the costs out, not adding them.

p.s. so nobody knows Slim's official PSU wattage? This says 190W and Slims was 250W, I think, and 20% less means significant differences in CPU/GPU/BD/Cooling, etc, etc. So less heat, less noise, longer life and cheaper.

boyshine

newps3.jpg

Not so bad looking now, huh? :)

I hope that’s something you cooked up in photoshop, because the „shine-arc” is embarrassing if official. That can’t carry over to the ruffle-lids. I also dread the consequences from kids or other stupid people „forgetting” to close the lid after taking a disc out.

davidmt

Definitely looks better. I'm happy to see that it looks like it has a matte finish-the original pics looked like that crappy shiny plastic that was used on the first PS3 and the current model of the 360.

If you just look at that shiny plastic the wrong way it scratches. Really wish manufacturers would stop using it (sure it looks great first time out of the box).

Definitely looks better. I'm happy to see that it looks like it has a matte finish-the original pics looked like that crappy shiny plastic that was used on the first PS3 and the current model of the 360.

If you just look at that shiny plastic the wrong way it scratches. Really wish manufacturers would stop using it (sure it looks great first time out of the box).

Except for the ridges, it's glossy like the original ps3.

Mario007

In combination with more family friendly software like Wonderbook, LBP Karting and Sony Smash Brothers that´d be a smart move.

They'll have to pull a one hell of a marketing campaign though to get games like LBP Karting and PSASBR not to bomb as it seems pretty gloomy, judging by even the internet interest in those games.

Maybe having them as packaged deals/bundles for Christmas would be smart. After all Sony did that with LBP2 and R&C last year and that bundle (costing 200 dollars) sold out.

boyshine

The problem with Sony and their kids games is that they always fuck it up by making it PEGI 7 rated. The complete lack of kids games on PS3 with the PEGI 3 rating is one of the reasons why Wii is still the only option for families with small kids.

AOC83

Banned
They'll have to pull a one hell of a marketing campaign though to get games like LBP Karting and PSASBR not to bomb as it seems pretty gloomy, judging by even the internet interest in those games.

That´s true, the Sony Franchises are not nearly as big as Nintendos and need heavy advertising, but it could work if they do it right.

16GB Slim for 149 $/€ + family/casual friendly games + huge marketing campaign + a little luck and they could fuck Nintendo over really bad this christmas.

Mario007

That´s true, the Sony Franchises are not nearly as big as Nintendos and need heavy advertising, but it could work if they do it right.

16GB Slim for 149 $/€ + family/casual friendly games + huge marketing campain + a little luck and they could fuck Nintendo over really bad this christmas.

I've argued in the other thread that even a16GB Slim+Move+Wonderbook could sell well for around 225 (after all that's how much Kinect is selling for) if there is a big marketing 'be like Harry Potter/help your kids read and have fun' marketing push.

Other than that I'd say you're right the 16GB model has to be below 200 and a bundle with a kiddie game for Christmas is the way to go. We'll have to see though, because even LBP karting or PSASBR or Sly aren't exactly kiddie friendly (well the 3-10 year old category that Nintendo has). However, Sony's London studio which does most of the casual games (SingStar, Home, EyePet etc) usually announces games at Gamescon and releases in the same year.

Globox_82

Banned
lol at people defending fat one. It's ugly as sin. Especially due to those "spiderman" letter on the top.

But like I said before, who cares if it serves you well.

WillyFive

lol at people defending fat one. It's ugly as sin. Especially due to those "spiderman" letter on the top.

The Spiderman font and the huge size dates it, but the design and materials used make it look a lot better than the other two. Especially if it's in a different color.

AOC83

Banned
I've argued in the other thread that even a16GB Slim+Move+Wonderbook could sell well for around 225 (after all that's how much Kinect is selling for) if there is a big marketing 'be like Harry Potter/help your kids read and have fun' marketing push.

Other than that I'd say you're right the 16GB model has to be below 200 and a bundle with a kiddie game for Christmas is the way to go. We'll have to see though, because even LBP karting or PSASBR or Sly aren't exactly kiddie friendly (well the 3-10 year old category that Nintendo has). However, Sony's London studio which does most of the casual games (SingStar, Home, EyePet etc) usually announces games at Gamescon and releases in the same year.

I´d argue that even the 250gb model should definitely stay below 200 if Sony wants to truly attract the mass market. It will also be interesting to see how Ms and Nintendo are going to react, i expect a rather large price drop for the 360 and Nintendo starting with 250 max.

DieH@rd

Banned
I hope that’s something you cooked up in photoshop, because the „shine-arc” is embarrassing if official. That can’t carry over to the ruffle-lids. I also dread the consequences from kids or other stupid people „forgetting” to close the lid after taking a disc out.

Its photoshop, but not mine. Who knows how will top loader work or look.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
If Sony had opted for an external PSU I think it could have about 1.5x as large as a PS2 slim which is a bit larger than the OG Wii.
Hope they never go the external PSU route, it's fucking awful to have PSU's dragging on cords, especially like in the original 360s

If Sony had opted for an external PSU I think it could have about 1.5x as large as a PS2 slim which is a bit larger than the OG Wii.

you make it sound like the PSU is still internal for this, do we know that to be true?

Hope they never go the external PSU route, it's fucking awful to have PSU's dragging on cords, especially like in the original 360s

Yeah but it saves a lot of space and reduces the internal temperature. Besides the external PSU for PS2 (or anything I can think of) was never as atrocious as the 360 one, there was no excuse for that monster. Also considering they shortened the power cable with the last Slim revision and extension cord is not much better

Mario007

I´d argue that even the 250gb model should definitely stay below 200 if Sony wants to truly attract the mass market. It will also be interesting to see how Ms and Nintendo are going to react, i expect a rather large price drop for the 360 and Nintendo starting with 250 max.

I think the 250GB model could drop down to 199 and it should do fine. It would be cheaper than comparable competition (i.e. Xbox360 with 250GB) and it is a basic 50 euro price cut, which would make the price lower by 100 in the past 2 years. Also as I've said during Christmas last year when Sony position the ps3 at 200 it sold like hotcakes.

Now the 16GB HAS to be between 150-180, though. If they decided to put 16GB at 200, 250GB at 250 and 500GB at 300GB then really they wouldn't generate any sort of momentum at all.

you make it sound like the PSU is still internal for this, do we know that to be true?

We know because it has a two pin fig 8 port on the back which is an AC input. Not only that but the FCC sticker has got 50/60hz listed as input which is AC. The PSU is internal and probably quite big given that it is rated for 190W peak power.

Tobor

But like I said before, who cares if it serves you well.

I know it's just personal taste, but I don't get it either. The original PS3 is butt ugly. I vastly prefer the slim.

I'll withhold final judgement on this new one until we get real pics, but a top loader in 2012 is a huge fail.

We know because it has a two pin fig 8 port on the back which is an AC input. Not only that but the FCC sticker has got 50/60hz listed as input which is AC. The PSU is internal and probably quite big given that it is rated for 190W peak power.

hmmm, but do you think that size comparison is accurate? I don't really care if the PSU is internal, I just want it smaller with less heat.

Top Bottom