• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Soul Eater (Why does no one ever talk about it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't watched this show in probably like, 5 years now and after trying to watch the spin-off Soul Eater Not I couldn't get invested and it just made me want to re-watch the original, I'm about 15 episodes in now and I seriously forgot how much I love this anime. The things that stand out most to me immediately are the world, art-style and music.

The world is colorful yet grim and macabre while retaining some of the show's tonal sillyness through the designs of the characters and world around them, it oozes style from the sun and the moon to the design of the city, each of the characters and just how well everything seems to fit together.
dark_moon_from_soul_eater_by_maxua1-d34f72g.jpg

soul-eater-37-36_3884942.jpg

The show's character designs don't follow the typical sharp faced anime art style but leans more towards american cartoons for inspiration which helps set it apart stylistically from a sea of other anime out there.
wtdcikrl2elmoajha8xq.jpg

The OST is also great, and it makes the show just that much better, lyrics aren't anything great but instrumentally some tracks are pretty amazing.
Bang Bang Bang Bang Have a nice dream
Death The Kid Theme
So Scandalous
Blitz

Another thing I also enjoy is that it never takes itself too seriously, the humor is fairly consistent throughout the show although it can be fairly dumb and nonsensical at times, its not worse than anything in other popular anime.

A couple things that I dislike is how often it can fall into typical anime tropes and
probably everything about black star's character

I think its pretty great and fairly unique so why does it never get talked about or recommended on GAF? I know a lot of people feel that the ending was pretty bad (and it was) but I think the anime overall is pretty great and fairly accessible to newcomers aside from maybe the number of episodes, and IMO probably better than what some people consider to be great anime
Gurren Lagann isn't that great, same with fairy tale

After reading some of the manga that happens after the show ends, I wish it would get the FMA:Brotherhood treatment and get a solid reboot based completely off the manga really picks up later on, but the lackluster Soul Eater Not probably killed any chances of that happening.

If you have a lot of free time and are into shonen anime I'd say give it a watch, the first three episodes are character introductions so the real show begins at episode 4 if you get discouraged by the lack of anything actually happening.

But seriously what are your opinions gaf, is the show just considered bad in general? or is it the ending that put a lot of people off of it? Or is it just not popular?

It's been so long since I've seen this show, but I was thinking about rewatching it recently and searched for any threads and saw yours and agree with you how it's rarely talked about.

Hell, so much so that nobody replied to this thread when it was originally posted. LOL

I thought Soul Eater was almost as good as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and thoroughly enjoyed all the colorful characters and story.

I remember finding out about this show years ago when I was trying to satiate my FMB fix by looking for a similar show and came upon this.

It satisfied me just fine too.

It's a damn good show. The animation, the characters, the music, the art. All on point. But I think it was also one of the first shows to really sour me on how much anime-only endings can hurt a show. I still really enjoyed the show despite the ending, but I really wish we could get a Brotherhood-esque remake that faithfully adapts the source material.

MadeULook

I really enjoyed everything about Soul Eater. But once it went anime original it was a steady, downward slope to an ending that didn't have much of a bang.

I mean, the manga is also pretty meh towards the end but I still reccommed it over the anime.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
No one talks about it because Anime is fucking terrible.

:D shiiitttpooossssttt

The written test in soul Eater is still one of my favorite anime episodes. Wish they'd do a brotherhood and animate the remaining manga

Soul Eater is my favorite series and would love if it got a revival since I really wanted so see the Baba Yaga Castle manga arc animated. But yeah, the ends for bought the anime and manga aren't as strong as I wish they would've been but god do I love it anyway and really want a good Soul Eater game. Also, I would've traded Black Star for Kilik to be part of the main team.

Right now I'm enjoying the new manga from Ohkubo called Fire Force (Enen No Shouboutai) and hoping for an anime adaptation of it even though it isn't as good as Soul Eater. I was even thinking about making an Fire Force Manga OT but real life problems have kept me busy and I'm not one to engage in long discussions since I suck at writing.

tumblr_o6b96hyVPT1tlkj4so1_500.jpg

vypek

I dropped the show pretty early on and stuck with the manga until the end. Wasn't crazy about it but it was entertaining enough.

Maka and Soul were the least interesting to me of the 3 teams that are first introduced and that didn't feel like it ever changed too much.

Stopped reading Soul Eater not early though.

Great series with a god awful final episode.

Been meaning to check out the manga for the rest of the story, but I heard that goes off the rails too.

zulux21

it was a solid series, but it never managed to stand out on its own. Naruto and bleach were still pretty hot when it was coming out. Death note hadn't been out for super long, and rumors of a new FMA had already begun when it started airing. Bones moved right onto brotherhood after soul eater so it shouldn't be that surprising it was forgotten given what came after.

I still get to talk about it from time to time with people though, as sometimes I get random PMs about it lol.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
After a while, it just started making me just get irritated with the show.

Like, all these kids are supposed to be bad ass, and Franken Stein is like one step down from a Super Saiyan, but they can't deal with a witch who shoots pointers at you.

And I can't STAND how Death Jr. holds his guns. I don't know why it bothers me as much as it does, but it does.

LotusHD

Banned
I remember everyone saying the ending sucked, which admittedly it did, though I think it was an anime original type of deal.

Other than that though, it was a solid ass show, just not usually in the conversation of anime I like to recommend. I dunno why, it just... isn't.

Also fuck Excalibur.

HeatBoost

No one talks about it because it's biggest strength was it's crazy stylishness, which takes a pretty precipitous dip once it gets to the anime-original material

It's a shame, if they ever do a "full version" it probably won't look as good as the original because Takuya Igarashi is fucking talented. It's a shame that he seems tied at the hip to a writer that I'm less-than-enthusiastic about...

Mesoian

The ending they came up with was so bad.

But then, the manga ending wasn't great either, it just made us understand why we needed to actually care about the Kishin.

This show is so damn awesome lol I cosplayed Stein. So many awesome sequences.

Ha, I also cosplayed Stein.

Moaradin

Show was pretty dope before it went anime original. Even went and read the manga because of how much I wanted more.

It's a shame it never got the Brotherhood treatment. So much cool shit that never was adapted.

Kettch

The anime fight between the freed bandage guy and the Shinigami leader was so good. It was a pretty forgettable series overall, but worth it for that alone.

PixelatedBookake

I've watched about half of the anime when it was on Toonami, but fell off after that. I saw they had a cool looking black character with gauntlets or something and wanted to see what he was about, but never was interested enough to jump back in. Maybe some day...

The Manga seemed to end pretty abruptly in that they seemed to set up more but the final arc came quickly.

Always felt better suited to weekly releases as opposed to monthly.

Amazing first half. Not so great second. I can't remember the details because it has been so long, but I remember being absolutely in love with the insanely crazy, cool villain introduced midway throughish...kind of earlier. Stuffed into his own skin guy? But when he comes back later, he is a completely different character. He didn't have the "fear" persona any longer, and was a boring-whatever. Him being less than expected was what bummed me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom