• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2017

Fuser

One of those shoots where you suddenly find yourself in quite a dangerous situation and common sense kicks in. This was obviously late at night, I hadn't told anybody I was out and I was in danger of being cut off from the incoming tide.
I had checked the tide times before going out and knew I had several hours, but when you are out alone in the pitch black the waves coming in start playing tricks with your mind! It's really quite unsettling.

This shot was actually back on the beach in a safe area, as I was walking back to the car I turned back to get one last look at the stars and noticed the rocks were being slightly lit by the town. Stuck down the tripod and grabbed a few shots and job done.
Horrible time with light pollution and exposure so changed to a b&w which I'm quite pleased with. Could have done with exposing the water and rocks a little more but it's done now!

SBH

100abluemoment1.4cpxa4.jpg
100 - A Blue Moment

Fighting the dying light, an arch that fell, finally using ISO 3200 and lighting with my phone at the same time came this. Yesterday it also rained a little all the time and candles don't like that so much. It's the 100 year anniversary of Finland, so I did this.

Tugatrix

First real post of the new year. Got a bunch of film from the last few months developed.

Scans are a little dusty, but oh well. I love my film guy, and he always offers me great feedback. I'll get my own scanner some day.

8808481-R1-E012 by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

8808481-R1-E010 by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

8808481-R1-E020 by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

8808481-R2-E026 by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

A bunch more on my Flickr!

what film did you used?

I have 3 rolls developing in the shop, one ilford hp5, a agfa vista plus and a Minolta VX(expired for ages but was still on my old point and shot canon)

what film did you used?

I have 3 rolls developing in the shop, one ilford hp5, a agfa vista plus and a Minolta VX(expired for ages but was still on my old point and shot canon)

This was all just cheapo Fuji Superia. I've never branched away from that because I'm usually just shooting film for fun.

Weather was so nice today, I had to spend a few minutes driving down my favorite switchbacks and backroads doing fun stuff haha. It's even better since there aren't a lot of people on those roads on a Monday afternoon.

Editing this was also quite interesting since I rarely do HDR photos.

As you can imagine the front of the foreground was super dark against the background and vice versa. I tried to use 5 exposures with a stop in between and it seemed to make it worse for some reason in Lightroom, so for this I just ended up using the two extremes and one middle ground then did an adjustment brush on the entire car just to bring it out some more.

A couple of snaps I took on my walk to school.
YXE by Jayvee Sadia, on Flickr

Daigaku by Jayvee Sadia, on Flickr
The second pic isn't in focus either due to shutter shake from the too low shutter speed or you took this while walking or you took it before the lens could focus or something else happened. It has potential, but it's just not in focus. I couldn't see the exif data of the first pic cause it's marked private on Flickr.
bringing my gear to my new house every time, finally paid off, other than just taking pictures of the house.

Red Tail Hawk in Flight by Billy York, on Flickr

My Catch by Billy York, on Flickr
Nice. Nothing like lugging heavy shit constantly only for it to pay off with a great shot. I have no birds in my area...only flying rats.

I guess I should avoid f/22.0 even in broad daylight w/o using a higher ISO.
Rookie mistake on my part :/

I really ought to get that Understanding Exposure book.

22 is fine if you can keep the camera steady enough or have a high enough shutter speed, that's pretty much a pointing at the sun aperture or macro work setting.
This one here is at F18, it's just a balancing act.
DSC_5594 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
This is at F22:
DSC_5587 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Your shutter speed is too low if the EXIF data on Flickr is correct. It was shot at 1/40 and IMO, it's quite slow for wide open shots. The aperture nor ISO was the problem IMO, it's the shutter speed.

As for the book, I'm kinda interested in it myself. I've never read the book at all but is still useful for experienced photogs? Coz if it is, I'll definitely pick up a copy. But if it's just teaching the basics, then I think I've got it all down so I'd rather spend that $15 on a roll of film or something lol.

Your shutter speed is too low if the EXIF data on Flickr is correct. It was shot at 1/40 and IMO, it's quite slow for wide open shots. The aperture nor ISO was the problem IMO, it's the shutter speed.

As for the book, I'm kinda interested in it myself. I've never read the book at all but is still useful for experienced photogs? Coz if it is, I'll definitely pick up a copy. But if it's just teaching the basics, then I think I've got it all down so I'd rather spend that $15 on a roll of film or something lol.
Nothing helps you learn more than fucking shit up in my opinion. I've only been taking pictures since May of 2015 and wow at the progress made.

Nothing helps you learn more than fucking shit up in my opinion. I've only been taking pictures since May of 2015 and wow at the progress made.

Absolutely... hands on learning is still one of the best ways to learn. More so when you're forced to learn manual controls, it just becomes a different kind of ballgame.

I'm scared to look at my older pictures lol. I looked at some that I did back in October 2015 and my god, I don't know why I thought they were great haha.

8808501_8808501-R1-E009 by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr
Dat grain. But I really liked how this one came out all things considered. A little light leak issue, but it works for this, I think.

Yeah that grain is such a bummer imo. It's such a beautiful shot but the grain completely ruins the peaceful feeling of the picture.

Do you have the raw/TIFF/whatever of that shot? I kinda wanna try and clean it up so I can use it as a wallpaper or something lolol.

Yeah that grain is such a bummer imo. It's such a beautiful shot but the grain completely ruins the peaceful feeling of the picture.

Do you have the raw/TIFF/whatever of that shot? I kinda wanna try and clean it up so I can use it as a wallpaper or something lolol.

Thanks!

It was shot on film... so sadly no. The grain is built in. Superia 400 is pretty grainy. Just the jpeg of the scan.

Some more film developed. Accidently pulled ISO 400 film to 200. Most of the shots came out usable.

8808501_8808501-R1-E021 by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

8808501_8808501-R1-E018 by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

8808501_8808501-R1-E022 by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

8808501_8808501-R1-E009 by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr
Dat grain. But I really liked how this one came out all things considered. A little light leak issue, but it works for this, I think.

Great photos! Where did you take these?

Great photos! Where did you take these?

Thanks. Geez. I'm not actually sure where most of these came from. The 3rd one is Antelope Island outside of Salt Lake City, that one I'm sure of, but I bring my camera everywhere I go for work and try to snap photos along the way and that roll of film was in my camera for like 3 months. Random areas in Illinois, Michigan, or Wisconsin, I'd guess.

All I really remember is the horse being very startled by the shutter on the camera. I don't remember taking the tree photo at all.

JP_

Banned

More from instagram taken on 5S. Gotta say though, taking photos of the protests while it was darker outside really made me want to own a real camera. Just doubt I'd use it much. Always having the camera on me by default (and quick editing tools that don't require transferring files anywhere) is the only reason I got back into photography.

sarcastor

took a photo of my friend and then added a photo of the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco that I found online

32661433675_0d7dbfafd9_b.jpg

also two model friends in Chinatown, SF

32282324550_79e1b68711_b.jpg

SBH

More from instagram taken on 5S. Gotta say though, taking photos of the protests while it was darker outside really made me want to own a real camera. Just doubt I'd use it much. Always having the camera on me by default (and quick editing tools that don't require transferring files anywhere) is the only reason I got back into photography.

I liked your first and last shot. Especially the last one made me think and feel. Followed you.

Today I played around more with an overhead projector, it was really fun.
Loopy The Loop

Groof

Does anyone here work with product photography? I'm going to do a small shoot for some phone cases and I'm looking for some tips/inspiration, if anyone has any to share.

Another pic I took yesterday, this one only with the light of the overhead projector:

Vortex of Color
That one is actually pretty cool.

DSC_1576 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_1471 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_1490 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_1512 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_1577 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_1451 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_1445 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_1591 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_1619 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

SBH

How are you metering for that and how low is your shutter speed for this? Tripod?
I don't. I just think in my head what would be good, try and adjust. In the first shoot I had too slow shutter speed for my shaky hands and that one of them was blurry, but I liked it over the others that weren't.
I learned from that and used a tripod yesterday.
NIKON D7000
18.0-70.0 mm f/3.5-4.5
50mm f/5.6 1/15s ISO500

Fëanorian;229713416 said:
Into Downtown by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr
vinyl set up by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr

Not really feeling photography much lately, but it is winter time.

Really like these, nice processing.
-----

I got my first ever medium format scans back today. One roll of Kodak Portra 400 to test my new Bronica ETRS with. Used a light metering app on my phone because I wasn't sure what meter to buy but it worked accurately every time so I was very happy with it.

Portra 400 by Ben Grady, on Flickr

Really like these, nice processing.
-----

I got my first ever medium format scans back today. One roll of Kodak Portra 400 to test my new Bronica ETRS with. Used a light metering app on my phone because I wasn't sure what meter to buy but it worked accurately every time so I was very happy with it.

I actually like these but it looks like the lens or camera is back focusing, it's quite clear in the second pic where his hair on the left side is in focus and in the third pic her left ear is in focus.

I actually like these but it looks like the lens or camera is back focusing, it's quite clear in the second pic where his hair on the left side is in focus and in the third pic her left ear is in focus.

That would be my fault; I have yet to buy a viewfinder for my Bronica so I just have to estimate the focus on the bare mirror viewfinder surface. They were all just casual shots to test it so hopefully the next batch will come out sharper.

That would be my fault; I have yet to buy a viewfinder for my Bronica so I just have to estimate the focus on the bare mirror viewfinder surface. They were all just casual shots to test it so hopefully the next batch will come out sharper.
Ok this makes a lot more sense. I'm not used to the viewfinder being sold separately.

Been extremely busy as of late. Grad school, teaching responsibilities, conferences in Anchorage, and everything else pushed photography to the side. I ended up getting stuck in our hub town due to inclement weather on the way back to the village, and it allowed for some great photography opportunities.

-Just an idea of the kind of plane I fly into my village in.

-I love the sunrises I see.

-This picture captures the essence of bush Alaska travel. You want calm wind, high ceilings, and a clear day. However, my village had the opposite conditions 100 miles away.

-Just another view of a beautiful sunrise.

This gives you an idea of a bush Alaska airport terminal. Each airline uses a separate building, and it reminds me of a DMV building.

-Tried tracking this plane while landing, and came out with this great shot.

-I did make it back!

-Been cold, but the village looks beautiful covered in snow.

Been extremely busy as of late. Grad school, teaching responsibilities, conferences in Anchorage, and everything else pushed photography to the side. I ended up getting stuck in our hub town due to inclement weather on the way back to the village, and it allowed for some great photography opportunities.

-Just an idea of the kind of plane I fly into my village in.

-I love the sunrises I see.

-This picture captures the essence of bush Alaska travel. You want calm wind, high ceilings, and a clear day. However, my village had the opposite conditions 100 miles away.

-Just another view of a beautiful sunrise.

This gives you an idea of a bush Alaska airport terminal. Each airline uses a separate building, and it reminds me of a DMV building.

-Tried tracking this plane while landing, and came out with this great shot.

-I did make it back!

-Been cold, but the village looks beautiful covered in snow.
Great shots.

Some great shots by everyone here. Thanks for sharing. I had no idea that this thread existed until today, but I'll be subscribing from now on. Cheers to all

\.

Nice shots. What are you taking at grad school?

Pachimari

I really want to take photos like these of individuals but it's considered rude here if you don't ask first. Also it's illegal to publish these. :(

Dabbling in landscape and trying out stacked exposures for the first time with this shot of a local sculpture, the Mermaid of the North.

Merged 1 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr
Where is this shot?

Also, what is considered the better place to publish your photos, Flickr or 500px?

I really want to take photos like these of individuals but it's considered rude here if you don't ask first. Also it's illegal to publish these. :(

Where is this shot?

Also, what is considered the better place to publish your photos, Flickr or 500px?
Sounds like you're in Europe. I heard the street photography laws are pretty tight around there. I'm on 500px and Flickr, but since A)500px seems to be douche filled with a bunch of super duper post processing nuts and B) the free version is limited to about 20 pics a week I don't use it too often. I pretty much just prefer Flickr.

Top Bottom