• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoh

This can't be true.

proxy

Was that an early beta of Versus XIII for Kinect?

CGkj3.gif

Square prepping for the storm that's inevitably going to hit any day now.

Though I'm thinking they'll publicly announce FFVXIII's official cancelation on the same day they announce FFXV to minimize damage.

More like

41571_294598485637_8196_n.jpg

batman-vs-shark-o.gif

Osaka15

Banned
I wonder, are there people out there who derive sexual pleasure from spreading misinformation and fear mongering?

Yea, I think they do this for hit. The possibility of this actually happening is really low. The production cost already gone into this development and Nomura recently stating that he is prepared to show new information makes me believe this rumor is most likely false. Plus, Square Enix would not want to have another event on their hand lol!

It's kinda weird that Kotaku broke the news but it still hasn't been put up on their Japanese sister site, even though Brian is in Japan with the rest of its staff.

wrowa

It's very unlikely that they would cancel it at this point imo

The timing would actually fit. The current generation is almost at its end, if Versus XIII is still not in a state that it can be released at the end of next year at the latest, there are pretty much just two options left: Either cancel the game or transfer it to next-generation consoles.

Both options are tricky. If they downright cancel the development, they obviously have to say goodbye to quite a lot of money. On the other hand, a transfer to next-generation systems means that they would need to rework the game quite extensively yet again, which again would cost a lot of money and if it's in development hell right now, a change of plattforms could make things even worse.

If at the end of the day they still have to cancel it or if the final product is bad (and sells badly) they might have to face even higher losses than if they had just cancelled it now.

It's funny, I am a pretty big ff fan but really couldn't care less if the game got cancelled. I dunno why people put do much stock into this game saving the ff brand when all we have seen is vague bits and pieces of it.

Derrick01

Banned
Cancelling it would probably be the best move for them, just cut their losses and learn from their mistakes and move on to next generation. This has to be the biggest example of poor management of all time with the last guardian chasing it closely.

Hindle

Banned
I dont get the people who say its doubtful its been canceled. In 6 years we've heard next to nothing on the game.

It's funny, I am a pretty big ff fan but really couldn't care less if the game got cancelled. I dunno why people put do much stock into this game saving the ff brand when all we have seen is vague bits and pieces of it.

I feel the exact same way. I think it's best to just kill it and get to work on something else.

Nemesis_

Probably not cancelled, but moved to next gen and turned into FF15. Which I guess would mean Versus was cancelled.

I would be supportive of this move to be perfectly honest.

I would not however want another instalment in the rather boring FFXIII franchise they've tried to create.

Taruranto

Na, i don't believe it. They invested too much in term of moneys/hype/etc to cancel it like this.

Though it would be fucking hilarious if they did, i don't care for the XIII compilation garbage one bit, but the fanbase reaction would probably be gold. There were people already writing fanfiction, crying for the cs and calling this the best game ever.

I can't even predict how they would react.

This can't be true.

proxy

Is there something wrong with me that I spent 2 minutes entranced by her thigh jiggle?

Oh yeah, the topic. Uh, I wouldn't be surprised if what's been done on this project is being transitioned to a project with a different name for PS4/Xbox whatever, but I dunno if that counts exactly as being cancelled.

Takuan

This was probably one of the few remaining franchise releases I was looking forward to this gen. If it's been cancelled, I hope it's not entirely dead and that they're able to salvage assets and ideas for another title.

Holy shit if true, though. All that money, down the drain. Tens of millions spent with nothing to show for it.

tkscz

If this is true.... so? I'm sorry, but this game has been in development for years, with little info known about them AND an actual Final Fantasy XIII-2. I'm sorry, but at this point I forgot why I even wanted it.

J-Rod

I doubt this rumor is true because it would pretty hard to cancel it without saying so. Easy to do so with consumers, but I would think such a thing would be hard to keep from investors.

AAK

"decided to let Final Fantasy Versus XIII die quietly on the vine and fade away, instead of officially announcing its cancellation."

If true... Seriously? The company doesn't feel shame of themselves with this move? Pretty much saying "fuck you, fans."

I fucking hate silence.

Capcom pretty much did that with Devil May Cry PSP and Resident Evil PSP.

The Versus XIII OT is going to be glorious. Sadly it won't be out until 6 years after the game launches.

Yeah, there are strict guidelines out now to prevent all those epic OT's now:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468233

Cancelling it would probably be the best move for them, just cut their losses and learn from their mistakes and move on to next generation. This has to be the biggest example of poor management of all time with the last guardian chasing it closely.

TLG is worse IMO. I believe that since SE had so many projects released in between they transitioned staff in an and out between VxIII production and other games hence some output was made. The same can't be said about Team ICO.

If this is true.... so? I'm sorry, but this game has been in development for years, with little info known about them AND an actual Final Fantasy XIII-2. I'm sorry, but at this point I forgot why I even wanted it.

Final Fantasy action game? Although my hype for Versus died after I experienced some of the "stories" Square has made this gen. Final Fantasy games never had the best stories, but they always felt somewhat memorable. FF13 was the biggest abomination in that area. I am interested in the big map aspects, but I just don't trust them to make a well designed console game anymore. Long development usually results in a game that disappoints.

Shamdeo

It seems like there's a lot going against Versus XIII though, possibly with a launch window rubbing up against next-gen.

That, and inflated expectations that this game has been in development for the entirety of six or seven years since its initial announcement.

wrowa

Capcom pretty much did that with Devil May Cry PSP and Resident Evil PSP.

But they've never shown anything more substantial than a logo for both games. It's really not a comparable situation -- and I quite honestly can't see how SE could make a secret out of Versus' cancellation. To the fanbase it's pretty much SE Japan's flagship project, SE can't just hope that people will forget about it.

FtsH

It's raining outside, very dark. Only mid July but some of the leaves have already turned yellow. Looks like a perfect time to sell my PS3...umbrella is broken, well, that's fine...

Grisby

Be crazy if true. Still, not like they've shown a whole lot. Game Informers where is Versus 13 time line deal this month showed me how crazy all of the info regarding this game has been.

Shamdeo

I'm not convinced they've spent much on Versus to date.

With those Square Enix Visual Works trailers, staff on pre-production and on full production I have to wonder.

Though I'm sure any sort of marketing that hasn't been done dwarfs those aforementioned costs.

Sid

It's raining outside, very dark. Only mid July but some of the leaves have already turned yellow. Looks like a perfect time to sell my PS3...umbrella is broken, well, that's fine...

You bought your ps3 just for versus xiii?

MAiKU

Neo Member
Would the cancellation of this tamper KH3 development?

Not necessarily. Quite the opposite in fact. It was the KH team, or at least key employees of the KH team, that was supposedly working on this game.

If this game is cancelled, then that would only mean they could work on other games with Kingdom Hearts being one of Tetsuya's major series, if there is one already in development.

The opportunity cost of not producing KHIII for consoles this gen has to be absolutely massive, particularly so when one considers the franchise decline evidenced by KH3D's Japanese sales.

Of course, there's no guarantee that KHIII's development would have turned out to be any less of a trainwreck, had it been greenlit back in 2005 instead.

dramatis

Post 'er up and we'll finish it off!
Please post this. I would lol all over it. And then use it to mark off RPGs.
The chart's a mess, I was jumping from one company to another when putting in entries. I don't think I finished any company's releases except imageepoch. There's obvious gaps of time where games are no doubt missing (based off JP release date) and I have some criteria about how re-releases are logged in (more than one year later, significant additions, etc.). My mobile game tracking is a mess.

List so far has 107 entries. 23 are re-releases or remakes. Even then it's 84 games since Versus was announced. I also haven't updated it recently so some of the already announced, already released stuff might be missing.
Code:
Tales of Xillia 2                           | 11/1/2012 | PS3
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy               | 10/11/2012| 3DS
Final Fantasy III                           | 9/20/2012 | PSP   | Re
Devil Summoners: Soul Hackers 3DS           | 8/30/2012 | 3DS   | Re
Atelier Ayesha                              | 6/28/2012 | PS3
The Witch and a Hundred Soldiers            | 6/28/2012 | PS3
Persona 4 The Golden                        | 6/14/2012 | PSVita| Re
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSP           | 5/17/2012 | PSP   | Re
Conception                                  | 4/26/2012 | PSP
Gyakushuu no Fantasica                      | 4/23/2012 | iOS   | Re
Kingdom Hearts 3D                           | 3/29/2012 | 3DS
Infinite Souls                              | 3/22/2012 | PS3
Chaos Rings II                              | 3/15/2012 | iOS
Meikyuu Touro Legasista                     | 3/15/2012 | PS3
Shining Blade                               | 3/15/2012 | PSP
Girls RPG                                   | 3/8/2012  | 3DS
Denpa Ningen                                | 2/28/2012 | 3DS
Gyakushuu no Fantasica                      | 2/24/2012 | Android
Suikoden: Tsumugareshi                      | 2/9/2012  | PSP
Ragnarok Odyssey                            | 2/2/2012  | PSVita
Dragon Ark                                  | 1/27/2012 | Mobile
Beyond the Labyrinth                        | 1/19/2012 | 3DS
Heroes Fantasia                             | 1/19/2012 | PSP
Frontier Gate                               | 12/22/2011| PSP
Final Fantasy XIII-2                        | 12/15/2011| PS360
7th Dragon 2020                             | 11/28/2011| PSP
Ninokuni                                    | 11/17/2011| PS3
Final Fantasy Type-0                        | 10/27/2011| PSP
Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki              | 9/29/2011 | PSP   | Re
Dark Souls                                  | 9/22/2011 | PS360
Tales of Xillia                             | 9/8/2011  | PS3
Black Rock Shooter                          | 8/25/2011 | PSP
Unchained Blades                            | 7/14/2011 | PSP3DS
Atelier Meruru                              | 6/23/2011 | PS3
Chaos Rings Omega                           | 5/19/2011 | iOS
Final Promise Story                         | 4/28/2011 | PSP
Disgaea 4                                   | 2/24/2011 | PS3
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3     | 2/10/2011 | PSP
Valkyria Chronicles 3                       | 1/27/2011 | PSP
The Last Story                              | 1/27/2011 | Wii
Criminal Girls                              | 11/18/2010| PSP
Radiant Historia                            | 11/3/2010 | DS
Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki            | 9/30/2010 | PSP   | Re
Final Fantasy XIV                           | 9/21/2010 | PC
Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X      | 8/5/2010  | PSP   | Re
Fate/Extra                                  | 7/22/2010 | PSP
Fire Emblem: Shin Monshu                    | 7/15/2010 | DS
Last Ranker                                 | 7/15/2010 | PSP
Atelier Totori                              | 6/24/2010 | PS3
Xenoblade                                   | 6/10/2010 | Wii
Ys: The Oath in Felghana                    | 4/22/2010 | PSP   | Re
Chaos Rings                                 | 4/20/2010 | Mobile
Star Ocean: The Last Hope Int.              | 2/4/2010  | PS3   | Re
Ar tonelico 3                               | 1/28/2010 | PS3
Last Rebellion                              | 1/28/2010 | PS3
Resonance of Fate                           | 1/28/2010 | PS360
Atelier Lina                                | 12/22/2009| DS
Final Fantasy XIII                          | 12/17/2009| PS360
Luminous Arc 3                              | 12/10/2009| DS
Tales of Graces                             | 12/10/2009| Wii
Hexyz Force                                 | 11/12/2009| PSP
3D Dot Game Heroes                          | 11/5/2009 | PS3
Tales of Vesperia                           | 9/17/2009 | PS3   | Re
Ys Seven                                    | 9/17/2009 | PSP
Ys I & II Chronicles                        | 7/16/2009 | PSP   | Re
Atelier Rorona                              | 6/25/2009 | PS3
Arc Rise Fantasia                           | 6/4/2009  | Wii
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days                   | 3/26/2009 | PSP   | Re
Brandish: Dark Revenant                     | 3/19/2009 | PSP   | Re
7th Dragon                                  | 3/5/2009  | DS
Atelier Annie                               | 3/12/2009 | DS
Demon's Souls                               | 2/9/2009  | PS3
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2     | 1/29/2009 | PSP
Zwei!!                                      | 12/30/2008| PSP   | Re
Tales of Hearts                             | 12/18/2008| DS
Suikoden Tierkreis                          | 12/18/2008| DS
The Last Remnant                            | 11/20/2008| 360
Sands of Destruction                        | 9/25/2008 | DS
Zwei II                                     | 9/25/2008 | PC
Infinite Undiscovery                        | 9/2/2008  | 360
Sigma Harmonics                             | 8/21/2008 | DS
Tales of Vesperia                           | 8/7/2008  | 360
Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki The 3rd    | 7/24/2008 | PSP   | Re
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World   | 6/26/2008 | Wii
Mana-Khemia 2                               | 5/29/2008 | PS2
Luminous Arc 2                              | 5/15/2008 | DS
Disgaea 3                                   | 1/31/2008 | PS3
Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut            | 1/31/2008 | PS2   | Re
Vantage Master Portable                     | 12/20/2007| PSP   | Re
Tales of Innocence                          | 12/6/2007 | DS
Lost Odyssey                                | 12/6/2007 | 360
Ar Tonelico 2                               | 10/25/2007| PS2
Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki 2nd Chapter| 9/27/2007 | PSP   | Re
The World Ends With You                     | 7/27/2007 | DS
Mana-Khemia                                 | 6/21/2007 | PS2
Odin Sphere                                 | 5/17/2007 | PS2
Atelier Lise                                | 4/17/2007 | DS
Tales of Destiny 2                          | 2/15/2007 | PSP   | Re
Luminous Arc                                | 2/8/2007  | DS
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology       | 12/21/2006| PSP
Ys Origin                                   | 12/21/2006| PC
Blue Dragon                                 | 12/7/2006 | 360
Tales of Destiny                            | 11/30/2006| PS2   | Re
Tales of the Tempest                        | 10/26/2006| DS
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky         | 9/28/2006 | PSP   | Re
Tales of Phantasia                          | 9/7/2006  | PSP   | Re
Atelier Iris: Grand Fantasm                 | 6/29/2006 | PS2
Code tag is giving me grief.

Aeana

The chart's a mess, I was jumping from one company to another when putting in entries. I don't think I finished any company's releases except imageepoch. There's obvious gaps of time where games are no doubt missing (based off JP release date) and I have some criteria about how re-releases are logged in (more than one year later, significant additions, etc.). My mobile game tracking is a mess.

List so far has 107 entries. 23 are re-releases or remakes. Even then it's 84 games since Versus was announced. I also haven't updated it recently so some of the already announced, already released stuff might be missing.

I'll give it a look and add to it.
EDIT: I thought a couple were missing but I realized this is all going from JP release dates.

Shamdeo

I thought recent reports indicated that this was actually quite a small group of people?

I believe that was the team that was in pre-production prior to entering "full production" or so it was put. I don't imagine Visual Works is a particularly small team, though if anyone has any insight into what manpower/cost those trailers would have, I'd like to know.

dramatis

I believe that was the team that was in pre-production prior to entering "full production" or so it was put. I don't imagine Visual Works is a particularly small team, though if anyone has any insight into what manpower/cost those trailers would have, I'd like to know.
Visual Works has nothing better to do anyway. They probably get everything finished before Japan does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom