• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let us calmly discuss the Monster Hunter 4chan rumor about PS4 and Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.J.

Banned
Soulsborne games have a lock-on system in place, MH games don't. Casual players or impatient players will be hitting air 90% of the time. Also, a good chunk of playtime is dedicated to preparation. Casual players do not like that. They want to jump straight in.

I suppose most people did mark blood vial farming a a negative for Bloodborne, so I guess you're right.

BigEmil

MH Frontier was below expectations for Capcom, Nintendo ones weren't. PS4 is cancerous to the series. Capcom won't make the mistake of putting it on PS4 again
Your posts never fail to disappoint lol
Cuningas de Häme;238288068 said:
Sony wants to block devs from making games for other platforms. They love moneyhatting exclusives.

But they also don't care about Japan anymore, like at all. They are a Western company in all but name.

I think that the rumour is false, to be honest. But if it's true and Capcom weazels their way out of the deal, I must applaud them. Almost how Finland yolo'ed out of their deal with Nazi-Germany.
What
I think they paid the localization for Tri only, and helped paying for others. They also paid for the servers of Tri, distributed the games in EU several times, paid a lot for marketing, tied the release of the New 3DS in the west with 4U, etc.

They did more for the franchise in the west than Sony ever did (without even counting the rumor of what happened for P3rd/P3rd HD).
Source for all of that?

i dont buy this story because i dont believe capcom has the capacity to make two vastly different MH games at once. they even cancelled deep down (probably) due to the lack of capacity how are they going to handle two MHs?
Well, i don't know which story did you learn about the re series.

But chapter 4 is where RE start to go down the hill.

RE5 ... 4 is the pinnacle

I try to wade through this thread in between obvious passionate biased comments and can only find a few level headed replies.

I can totally believe this rumour. While it's disappointing and I'd rather have the next mainline entry built from the ground up for the switch since I prefer MH on the go, I can see why Sony would want an exclusive deal on the game. Why not? The switch is selling very well and the PS4 is selling at a steady but uninspired pace this would inject life into it. I'd get it on PS4 and hope that the portable switch game won't end up half assed.

Kyoufu

When it doesn't even have a traditional gameplay but simplified combat and QTEs?

+MH doesn't sell well on consoles.

Capcom has never had a proper attempt at making MH a success on consoles. Whenever they do finally make that attempt, it'd have to be friendlier to players, new and old, to be a success.

Basic things like not being able to rejoin a hunt when you've disconnected is 2004 levels of shit that new players would not accept. Heck, as a series veteran I find it unacceptable myself.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why couldn't Sony pick up the slack?

Even if they did, would it be worth the lost sales in Japan? Why would they ditch Nintendo just as they hit upon what appears to be solid gold again? If the Switch was doing badly I could understand it, but it's been doing great so far and a lot of the heavy hitters are yet to come.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I've posted similar thoughts elsewhere, but I think there is definitely a PS4 Monster Hunter game coming, and if I had to bet I would say it will be more Western-focused.

On the other side, I would hope the XX Switch announcement would make it clear Capcom is all on on the Switch as far as Monster Hunter in Japan goes.

Now who knows what will be multi platform and what will be called what.

A.J.

Banned
Capcom has never had a proper attempt at making MH a success on consoles. Whenever they do finally make that attempt, it'd have to be friendlier to players, new and old, to be a success.

Basic things like not being able to rejoin a hunt when you've disconnected is 2004 levels of shit that new players would not accept. Heck, as a series veteran I find it unacceptable myself.
Wasn't Lost Planet 2 the attempt for western MH?

This rumour seems like hyperbole to me. I think that it's true, in part, but given Capcom's direction I expect the game to be on PS4/XB1 and PC. I also don't think "westernise" means anything until we actually see the game. It's a term Japanese game fans throw around when they sniff any hint of a developer streamilining mechanics for a current gen audience.

I've posted similar thoughts elsewhere, but I think there is definitely a PS4 Monster Hunter game coming, and if I had to bet I would say it will be more Western-focused.

On the other side, I would hope the XX Switch announcement would make it clear Capcom is all on on the Switch as far as Monster Hunter in Japan goes.

I dunno if a port of a 3ds game and a hd version of sf2 implies "all in on switch in Japan" at all. I do think they will be, eventually, but not based off current information and releases.

Hopefully Capcom will be prepared for a flop like SFV.

Abandoning the portability of a series and basically alienating a entire fanbase would be dumb.

In a perfect world PS4/switch/Pc/Xbox one

Since that's just not realistic I do hope some type of monster hunter exclusive or not is coming to PS4

And it would seem monster hunter is the Dq11 equivalent for ppl where if it's on PS4 it flops or whatever so if it does happen hope it sells to shut ppl up just like dq11

Oregano

I dunno if a port of a 3ds game and a hd version of sf2 implies "all in on switch in Japan" at all. I do think they will be, eventually, but not based off current information and releases.

MHXX isn't a big release on its own but it's clear signalling for the future of Switch and the Monster Hunter franchise.

oti

Banned
Yeah but one moneyhat is not gonna change that. In the current gen PS4 at this point has like the most support from japan by a mileage, switch is not gonna be near it for at least a year (as in ammount of games released from japan). The problem here is that stationry system overall have a harder standing in japan, this is a structure problem, not a software problem. That sounds like the stuff that Nintendo would utter during the Wiiu Era with one game can change everything which also was bullocks.

Seems like a super bad deal to me

I'm not saying it's a good deal. I think it's terrible for Capcom. But if you're Sony and you want the PS4 to do better numbers in Japan, you go for the big franchises. And MH is the biggest franchise. And of course you want THE next MH and you don't want it on another platform. Sony is willing to do such deals, as we've seen with Street Fighter. But MH is another ballpark.

What gets me about this is what kind of thunderstorm this, if true, must have caused at Nintendo. We're talking Japanese business culture here. It would be a catastrophe for Capcom.

What happens if Switch gets Monster Hunter 5 and PS4 gets a lite version? 🤔
Also why would Capcom want Bintendo to increase the ram of the Switch then?
Definitely not for the two ports they have announced.
I think MH5 will hit Switch.

EDarkness

It'll sell well to folks that don't own a Nintendo.

Didn't games come out on the PS2? That system was a monster back in the day...especially in Japan. It should have done well, I think.

Didn't they pimp the hell out of the Wii version, though?

This rumour seems like hyperbole to me. I think that it's true, in part, but given Capcom's direction I expect the game to be on PS4/XB1 and PC. I also don't think "westernise" means anything until we actually see the game. It's a term Japanese game fans throw around when they sniff any hint of a developer streamilining mechanics for a current gen audience.

This makes the most sense concerning a global push.

But you have to admit, seeing MH5 hit XB1 over Switch would be pretty funny lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Doesn't it seem the riskiest thing Capcom could do when they are so risk adverse these days? You'd need to spend a ton of money to make a big splash with MH over here and if it fails you're done.

Now that's the compelling part of the Sony rumor, that Sony paid big to make this game. Sounds good right? Well let's think about it a little. Why not announce it to high heaven like they did with SF V? Why would Sony even be interested in juicing up western appeal for this game if they are "desperate" for Japan...which they haven't really paid much attention to all generation. This plan has seemingly been in the works for awhile now but nothing from Capcom to prime the pump. Capcom loves doing this you see. It ported an old MH to Wii for Tri. It ported an old MH to 3DS for 4. They ported USFIV for Street Fighter V. They ported over a ton of Resident Evil for 7. They've done...absolutely nothing regarding MH for PS4.

Salaadin

I'm not directly opposed to a PS4 MH game but I haaate the changes listed in that rumor. Why even call it Monster Hunter at that point? And how will changing the series like that get Japan for Sony especially since the PS4 isn't portable? Some of the stuff there just doesn't make a lot of sense. Still, it doesn't feel impossible either.

Producer

I really dont know why this rumor has stuck for so long. I mean yeah they got the first bullet point right, but with the mh xx annouucement so close it wouldnt surprise me if anyone that was involved with capcom whether pr, marketing, dev etc leaked it to someone and it hit the web. Other than that a whole bunch of it sounds like the type of trolling that would get the mh fanbase rattled. Stuff like western focused, open world, streamlined combat etc. Last of all this was made by an anonymous poster. Not to say there havent been leaks like this on 4chan before, but i'd bet for every legit leak theres probably hundred of trolls. If the poster at least had a tripcode there'd be a bit more credibility.

selo

If the rumors are true, its pretty cool. PS4/PC players get a modified experience while Switch/3ds get the same game they were getting anyways, good stuff.

Orayn

I feel like some of the "MH needs to Westernize/modernize/evolve and go AAA!" talk comes from people who haven't played very much Monster Hunter and feel no particular attachment to the series beyond liking the general concept of hunting monsters with friends. Those people would perhaps be better served by a localization of Dragon's Dogma Online, or a new Witcher or Horizon with an added co-op mode.

Korigama

False because Sony is not desperate for Japan, they put their focus elsewhere.

Also, Sony once got a MH game announced by Capcom, it was called Deep Down and is now god knows where.
Wasn't Deep Down a Dragon's Dogma spiritual successor, not Monster Hunter?

As for the rumors, while not all of it may be accurate, Capcom's penchant for irrational business decisions leads me to not dismiss the possibility of this entirely. The PS4 MH5 described couldn't be more off-putting to me (open world, simplified Western-friendly combat with fewer weapon types, a QTE focus that seems less suggestive of MH4U than something like God of War, less gathering/prep, no timer and no missions), but the actual MH team would still be making real MH for Switch anyway, so while not doing any favors to the brand with the decision, it wouldn't be exactly the same as what happened with DmC where the game chasing after the West was all people had.
The combat in MH is trash so I'm excited to see if they really do change it up.
The focus on deliberate, methodical combat in MH is fine as is. If there's any legitimacy to this, though, I'm sure they'll give you what you want with something much looser, more mashy, and focused on instant gratification.

bunbun777

Seemed like every year of ps3 there were rumors and mostly just wishes of it coming. I feel the old fires getting a little stoked, maybe this e3?

DR2K

Banned
If only Sony was this adamant about getting an exclusive MH on their portable system instead of letting it die.

They literally just announced a portable MH game a couple of days ago. Are you ok?

I am talking about having two different Monster Hunter franchise where one is stripped of everything that makes Monster Hunter for PS4 and having a portable series.

Thats a good way of sabotaging one of your best selling series.

Nairume

Banned
Capcom has never had a proper attempt at making MH a success on consoles.
What about the two times they tried to make it work on the PS2 and the time they tried to then make it work on the Wii? Did the main series being on console for years while portables got spinoffs until 4 not count?

Draconian

I'm not directly opposed to a PS4 MH game but I haaate the changes listed in that rumor. Why even call it Monster Hunter at that point? And how will changing the series like that get Japan for Sony especially since the PS4 isn't portable? Some of the stuff there just doesn't make a lot of sense. Still, it doesn't feel impossible either.

So they can sell it in Japan. Well, according to this rumor anyway.

Rncewind

I'm not saying it's a good deal. I think it's terrible for Capcom. But if you're Sony and you want the PS4 to do better numbers in Japan, you go for the big franchises. And MH is the biggest franchise. And of course you want THE next MH and you don't want it on another platform. Sony is willing to do such deals, as we've seen with Street Fighter. But MH is another ballpark.

What gets me about this is what kind of thunderstorm this, if true, must have caused at Nintendo. We're talking Japanese business culture here. It would be a catastrophe for Capcom.

No i am saying its a bad deal for Sony. This, if true, is actually a good deal for capcom. They gonna make 2 lines of MH games now with the possiblity of catching a wider audience and get payed for it? awesome

TBH. if i would be sony(or Nintendo or Microsoft for that matter) i would basicly abandon japan as a factor in stationry gaming system because japan doesnt care. PS4 had what in the last month? Yakuza, Nier, Persona, FF all back to back and did basicly jackshit. And PS4 is only a succesor in a line of home consoles that severly underperformed in japan. Sinking further money into this is asinine

Also, even if i am not a expert on fighting games community, i am 100 % sure the SFV deal was not done with japan on mind

Kyoufu

I am talking about having two different Monster Hunter franchise where one is stripped of everything that makes Monster Hunter for PS4 and having a portable series.

Thats a good way of sabotaging one of your best selling series.

Nothing in that rumour suggests it's stripped of everything that makes MH what it is.

MH has been stuck in 2004 for years. Eventually it will need to evolve.

Jawmuncher

I feel like some of the "MH needs to Westernize/modernize/evolve and go AAA!" talk comes from people who haven't played very much Monster Hunter and feel no particular attachment to the series beyond liking the general concept of hunting monsters with friends. Those people would perhaps be better served by a localization of Dragon's Dogma Online, or a new Witcher or Horizon with an added co-op mode.

My position is just what capcom themselves have said in their reports. They're making a big deal about making the brand into something with worldwide appeal. Thus far it's the western market where that is failing. It definitely has it's fans in the west, but for whatever reason they want more. I can't think of any other ways they'd be able to get more fans on board without either changing the games currently drastically (not good) or trying to make another game within the series with those changes (At least not fully destroying what is there).

Highly doubtful on all this, specifically because it characterizes Capcom, Nintendo, & Sony as if they are individuals, when they are giant corporations. I highly doubt you would get a bunch of 'panic' if the formula has indeed changed as drastically as this rumor suggests, as the gameplay formula would largely be detached from the series Nintendo fans have enjoyed on their portables. As for Sony wanting the game to be closer to launch till announce - every Capcom game in last 2 years or so has been announced within 12 or < of its release, so this doesn't sound like its a move made by Sony, rather its a publishing choice being made by Capcom.

And if the game is headed to other platforms like PC & Xbox, then it puts all the 'speculative' part of this leak into even larger question, because why would this strain the relationship between Capcom & Sony, as well as bringing up the question as to why would Sony be paying for an Xbox game to be made, when its clear from the gameplay changes being made that this is supposedly being made for a larger, western-oriented audience. If this is missing Switch, I think its more a technical limitation from Capcom chasing the X1/PS4 specs more than anything. Its amazing that Sony would pay to specifically keep a game as big as MH off switch, when a MH game is being made for Switch regardless, when Sony did not do this with DQ11, another game in a similar situation to this supposed MH follow-up.

The characterization of this leak as Sony bullying Nintendo, Capcom being confused/desperate, & Nintendo being a 'victim', just screams of a Nintendo fan who is trying to rationalize the rumors that another main-entry MH game is coming & missing the Switch. Why would Sony want to save consoles in JP with MH, a game that has been viewed as a portable Nintendo title for the better part of a decade. Not just that, Sony isn't really hard pressed to save consoles in JP - it has the best selling console on the market WW, and it has cultivated a wide audience that is allowing JP devs to find success with their releases in foreign markets, which is something most recently observed with the release of Nier: Automata & Persona 5, among others.

oti

Banned
If only Sony was this adamant about getting an exclusive MH on their portable system instead of letting it die.

Rumour was that Iwata played his trump cards to get the franchise exclusively on 3DS. I'd say that worked out quite well for Capcom. Without Nintendo's marketing money, who knows where MH would be today.

NolbertoS

I don't tend to believe 4chan or reddit subs. Unless they have the GAF "Seal of Quality" on thread than its just a fanfic rumour. Unless Emily or Laura Kate Dale posted that runour outside of GAF, I may believe that MH5 is multi-console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom