• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

jimmy johns, best sandwich chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungHav

Banned
I went to Milwaukee a few weeks ago. After nearly a dozen drinks throughout the day, at around 1am I stumbled into a Jimmy Johns. My fucking Lord I am so pissed they don't have this in New York. That was the best sandwich I've had in years. I had to leave the next day and couldn't get a hold of Jimmy John's before I left. I should have bought 5 sandwiches.

andymcc

Banned
I went to Milwaukee a few weeks ago. After nearly a dozen drinks throughout the day, at around 1am I stumbled into a Jimmy Johns. My fucking Lord I am so pissed they don't have this in New York. That was the best sandwich I've had in years. I had to leave the next day and couldn't get a hold of Jimmy John's before I left. I should have bought 5 sandwiches.

coincidentally, the only time i've ever eaten jimmy john's was while i was drunk. it was serviceable, better than subway iirc.

vaelic

Banned
I prefer

logo.png

BobDylan

Well I have worked at Jersey Mike's and Jimmy John's. Jersey mikes by a mile. You get more of everything with Jersey Mikes and all the ingredients are much more fresh. being able to customize the sandwich to exactly what I like was amazing, best part about the job.

Log4Girlz

Wegmans has great subs in a pinch. Subway is fast food but at least a good tasting and healthy ish alternative (depending on what you get, you can go to Subway and eat like shit).

Deli sub will always rain king. Sometimes on my way to therapy I stop at this great deli and get a sandwich. I would today but I just bought some cold cuts yesterday anyway.

There are no wegmans in south florida :( Tried their sammiches when I went to Virgina for 2 weeks. Good stuff.

When I went to school in Wisconsin, JJ's were all over. Anyway, I am way more of a fan of Cousins subs.

Also, as far as Subway goes, avoid as much as possible unless the people I am with are going, I will just eat there to not be a problem.

WX3

I love JJ's but once decided to try Quiznoes or whatever it is called. I had some prime rib pepperjack cheese juice covered thing that was marvelous! I went back to the place a week later and the doors were shut and I have never had that place since, so yes, JJ's I guess remains the best.

b3b0p

When I went to school in Wisconsin, JJ's were all over. Anyway, I am way more of a fan of Cousins subs.

Also, as far as Subway goes, avoid as much as possible unless the people I am with are going, I will just eat there to not be a problem.

THis right here! I used to live in Wisconsin. Cousins is awesome. Their bread is so chewy and not super thick, but nice and chewy. I hate mayo, but these are freaking awesome with some messy may or a little drizzle of olive oil. Turkey, Lettuce, Tomato, some mayo or olive oil and wow.

Espresso

Banned
JJ's signature sub is the bomb dig. When I was a freshman I'd get one or two delivered just about every week. Subway doesn't hold a candle to them.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
My boss gave me a $20 giftcard to Milio's last week for my 4-year anniversary present at work. I've never eaten there before. I can safely say the answer to best sandwich chain is definitely not Milio's.

abusori

Schlotsky's has always been my favorite sandwich place. The one here closed down, but every time I travel I make sure to drop by one.

It's the shit when you're drunk, kinda-like iHop or Waffle House good.

I think that it may be the best, but to me it while tasting better it does get old quick.

KevinRo

I refuse to pay for another sub at jj. why? my roomate use to work there and those subs were shit. i mean they were alright but they're nothing compared to potbelly or anything worth buying. look, they have 1 type of bread and cheese and crap. have you seen their menu?

When I lived in Austin I was a huge fan of Jimmy Johns. Really hits the spot when you have the munchies and don't want to move from your game of Rock Man X3. Word.

I refuse to pay for another sub at jj. why? my roomate use to work there and those subs were shit. i mean they were alright but they're nothing compared to potbelly or anything worth buying. look, they have 1 type of bread and cheese and crap. have you seen their menu?

Actually have two types of bread. Also who needs more than one cheese when provolone is the superior sub cheese?

Tapiozona

Banned
Not sure what all the hype is about with Jimmy Johns. They're rather plain sandwiches. Nothing to make them stand out from any other generic sandwich shop.

My personal preference is for a local shop called Cheba Hut. They're mainly located around college campuses and I think only in AZ, CO, CA, OR. Everything is stoner themed and their logo is "Where the only thing more baked than our sandwiches are our employees" (or something similar to that).

Sandwiches come in 3 sizes, Nugs, Pinners and Blunts. It's a bit over the top at first but god damn is their food good. Especially the Afghani. I highly recommend them to anyone who lives remotely close to one.

cheba-hut-logo.png

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
For a national chain, Jimmy John's is pretty good. Italian Nightclub add hot peppers is where it's at. JJ>Pita Pit>>Quizno's>Subway as far as what I have around here chain wise. Of course, I do have some nice local sub shops that are better than all of these.

I've only had JJ a few times but I really liked them. They have really good mayonnaise and bread.

Only had Potbelly once when I visited Chicago. Sandwich was unremarkable.

Jersey Mikes makes their sandwiches waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too dry. It's like eating a desert.

Subway and Firehouse are great.

Belfast

There's a reason for this dude. It's because they're trying to offer quality *and* speed at the same time. I know that's not ideal for everyone, but it makes things faster and easier to manage (from the store's point of view) if things are kept simple. Plus, they slice meats and cheeses every day. The meat takes long enough, therefore one cheese. But it's fucking provolone man, that's some pretty mild, inoffensive cheese that just about anyone can eat.

Also, two types of bread dude (plus the Unwich). It's great bread most of the time, and since it's one of the chain's "signatures," they aren't going to change that.

Food's great, but Jimmy John himself is a giant (but successful) douche, no doubt.

Belfast

Not sure what all the hype is about with Jimmy Johns. They're rather plain sandwiches. Nothing to make them stand out from any other generic sandwich shop.

My personal preference is for a local shop called Cheba Hut. They're mainly located around college campuses and I think only in AZ, CO, CA, OR. Everything is stoner themed and their logo is "Where the only thing more baked than our sandwiches are our employees" (or something similar to that).

Sandwiches come in 3 sizes, Nugs, Pinners and Blunts. It's a bit over the top at first but god damn is their food good. Especially the Afghani. I highly recommend them to anyone who lives remotely close to one.

cheba-hut-logo.png

I'll second this one. Even as someone who works at JJs, if I do need a toasted/hot sub fix, this is where I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom