• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 announced for PS4/Xbox1

$39.99 MSRP for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One (physical and digital) and $29.99 MSRP for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (digital only).

DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round will offer over 300 open and unlockable costumes, and the brand new hairstyle and accessory options will give nearly endless possibilities to adorn the fighters for any occasion. Players can bring their run of rosters, costumes and accessories from DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Ultimate, as previously purchased DLC content will be transferable from last gen consoles to the PS4 and Xbox One.

Judging by the bolded, that means not all the DLCs will make it on there, because if they all did what would be the point of transferring the DLCs from Ultimate.

Westlo

ehh... probably wont bite knowing MKX and T7 is around the corner but it's good to have the option to.

Dead or Alive 6 is probably closer to release date to Tekken 7 than this is.... not like Tekken Team aren't working on Smash, Pokken Fighters and Summer Room or whateever...

Skilletor

Judging by the bolded, that means not all the DLCs will make it on there, because if they all did what would be the point of transferring the DLCs from Ultimate.

Wut?

All DLC you've bought will transfer over. All previous DLC will be available on PS4/XB1 to purchase.

Westlo

You talking about the costumes included on disc? Of course it won't all be included, they did say 300 costumes and that's nowhere near the full amount. They'll probably throw in all the low selling costumes as well as the starter packs for the dlc characters.

I'll be surprised if they included Tropical Sexy and left out say Nurses....

Griss

Looks like we found a HQ version of the trailer, still 30 fps though...
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_dead_or_alive_5_heading_to_ps4_xb1-15804_en.html

Okay, that's more like it. High quality screenshots too. If the game looks anything like those screens I'll be happy. Hopefully we'll be able to take photos of that quality too. The PS4 screenshot facility isn't really up to the job with its compression.

I'm no expert but I'm guessing 1080p with no AA from that video? I don't see any improved textures or whatnot either.

Haven't seen the screens posted yet

image_dead_or_alive_5_last_round-26186-2637_0001.jpg

image_dead_or_alive_5_last_round-26186-2637_0002.jpg

image_dead_or_alive_5_last_round-26186-2637_0003.jpg

So just as we expected 1080p/60fps, somewhat better aa. Hopefully they keep implementing new graphical techniques but so far so good!

Griss

Looking at that screenshot reminds me how bizarre it was that Phase 4 featured so heavily in the base game's story, yet wasn't actually in the game until almost two years later. Really, really strange. She should have been there instead of alpha from day one.

benzy

Currently the game looks better than the last gen bullshots.

ibqJesyXrVK64b.png

They look the same, just different lighting conditions. Both are bullshots, the new one has copious amounts of higher quality DOF than the in-game footage.

The environments still have terrible, terrible textures.

ibkKTCO3A4Wx0w.png

Khezu

Does the Tengu girl have a costume with the Tengu mask?

I think it was a mask anyway, with like the really long nose.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
even with no AA, 1080p should smooth off most edges. I'm guessing they didn't do much to the environments :/ I'm hoping they switch to a new engine for DOA6, this one is not so good at rendering assets.

Still buying day 1 because 40 bucks :D

Sulik2

The achilles heel of DOA5's visuals was the awful, awful aliasing. They better have AA for a next-gen port.

stn

So, by saying that purchased costumes will transfer, does that mean this game will not have all the previous DLC released? What a bummer. Will it at least have new characters? Aside from being featured on the current gen, what incentive is there for previous gen users to buy it?

Skilletor

So, by saying that purchased costumes will transfer, does that mean this game will not have all the previous DLC released? What a bummer. Will it at least have new characters? Aside from being featured on the current gen, what incentive is there for previous gen users to buy it?

All the characters will be there. 70+ outfits from DoA5U will be on disc (they say over 300).

We don't know what all they will be adding. DoA5U has added 4 characters over the past year. There could certainly be more because of this update.

Meh, not expecting much of a graphical update. I'd wager that the team working on this is super tiny - no time or manpower to re-do all the low-res environmental assets and texture work, and the new stages were probably unused leftovers from DOA5:U.

Digging the new Geometry Wars-esque sparks, though. Quadruple dipping for sparks.

Alongside the resolution bump, the next-gen remaster of the 2012 fighter also promises to deliver "breathtaking enhanced graphics" and brand new content over the original release

Better aa for a start plz.

louie

I'm really glad the game was so successful for TN. I just wish I didn't end up hating everything about it though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I wonder what the team size is for this port...for the 360 and PS3 versions its as simple as its just putting the content on the disk, but for the up port to next gen, i'm wondering how big a force they have on that. I'd expect a majority of the studio to be working on a different project entirely

The previously released DLC adds up to atleast twice the cost of a full priced disk. There's hundreds of costumes that they aren't just going to give away for free, because they know that people are going to continue to buy them. I'd say the DLC is probably how they managed to get most of their money for the project.

Pachinko

Well hopefully the 6 months they have means they'll add higher quality textures and 4XMSAA to the current gen ports.

Some people above commented that DOA5 ran at 720p 60 fps , that was the case during the best of times yes, as I recall the engine drops to 30 fps when you do your focus attack (where time slows down for a second and you punch your opponent into an on screen obstacle) and the resolution was also dynamic on both ps3/360. Similar to ninja gaiden 3, the resolution would drop down a few levels to maintain 60 fps, when this happened varied depending on the background and who was fighting but it was noticeable.

Simply running the game at 1080p with no more dynamic resolution or slowdown and adding antialiasing will help make it look better but the textures , ALL OF THE TEXTURES should really be a focus point. They must have uncompressed higher quality assets available right?

They have access to at least 10 times as much ram on either console so they should at least try and use it.

Squire

Banned
If it's just an up-res'd port, then I pass.

It seems like they're increasing the res while adding some effects, but I mean, yeah. It's a remaster of a two year old game. Not sure why people are projecting expectations on to this like it's DOA6.

I'm glad it's happening at all. DOA5 is one of the only reasons I still use my PS3. Now that they're porting this and Persona 5 is cross-gen (praise YHVH), the systems days are numbered for me for certain.

Timu

Well hopefully the 6 months they have means they'll add higher quality textures and 4XMSAA to the current gen ports.

Some people above commented that DOA5 ran at 720p 60 fps , that was the case during the best of times yes, as I recall the engine drops to 30 fps when you do your focus attack (where time slows down for a second and you punch your opponent into an on screen obstacle) and the resolution was also dynamic on both ps3/360. Similar to ninja gaiden 3, the resolution would drop down a few levels to maintain 60 fps, when this happened varied depending on the background and who was fighting but it was noticeable.

Simply running the game at 1080p with no more dynamic resolution or slowdown and adding antialiasing will help make it look better but the textures , ALL OF THE TEXTURES should really be a focus point. They must have uncompressed higher quality assets available right?

They have access to at least 10 times as much ram on either console so they should at least try and use it.
Yeah this is all true, and I hope they have uncompressed textures, that would be awesome to see the game in all it's glory of what it should had looked like.

Top Bottom