• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fliers telling LGBTQ students to kill themselves is fine according to Cleveland Uni

kmfdmpig

Can't do anything? The hell is wrong with you, USA?

Cleveland State University =/= USA.
17,261 students =/= 330,000,000 citizens

Many Universities handle this type of bullshit effectively. CSU choosing to throw their hands up like utter cowards is not the norm.

The University is well within its rights to sanction students for violating codes of conduct.
You have a constitutional right to curse out people, but if you curse out a professor you run the risk of being suspended or expelled from college.
That happens regularly and is the basis for plagiarism leading to failed grades, suspensions, expulsions, etc...
In this case the President of the University has wide discretion in how to handle the issue and instead is taking a mulligan as he's afraid that it's too hard to actually do something which he is empowered to do and has an obligation to do.

I’m going to have to generally disagree with you here. A good case on point here is Papish: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/410/667.html

If you want the TLDR, universities have typically been stomped when their codes of conduct are put up against the 1A

Edit: here’s a sexual harassment policy being struck down in an appellate court: https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=500746032283305681&hl=en&as_sdt=2&as_vis=1&oi=scholarr

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
How is this not the legal equivalent of yelling fire in a crowded building?

Because that wasn't actually ever a legal standard - but most folks who don't understand 1A protection (well, at least towards things they don't like) don't pay attention to that point.

Holmes' famous quote comes in the context of a series of early 1919 Supreme Court decisions in which he endorsed government censorship of wartime dissent — dissent that is now clearly protected by subsequent First Amendment authority.

Because that wasn't actually ever a legal standard - but most folks who don't understand 1A protection (well, at least towards things they don't like) don't pay attention to that point.

Unless these flyers actually lead and Incite violence (E.g. a riot), I think the president is in a tough spot.

kmfdmpig

I’m going to have to generally disagree with you here. A good case on point here is Papish: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/410/667.html

If you want the TLDR, universities have typically been stomped when their codes of conduct are put up against the 1A

Edit: here’s a sexual harassment policy being struck down in an appellate court: https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=500746032283305681&hl=en&as_sdt=2&as_vis=1&oi=scholarr

If CSU were private it would be different, but you're right that it is a public university, which makes it more difficult. Even so, it's a murky area legally. Oklahoma State expelled students over hate speech a few years ago.
http://schmidtlawservices.com/expelled-for-hate-speech-a-constitutional-question/

If CSU were private it would be different, but you're right that it is a public university, which makes it more difficult. Even so, it's a murky area legally. Oklahoma State expelled students over hate speech a few years ago.
http://schmidtlawservices.com/expelled-for-hate-speech-a-constitutional-question/

What’s really interesting is the Michelle Carter case, which the ACLU has come out against as an infringement on the 1A: https://www.boston.com/news/local-n...chelle-carter-conviction-imperils-free-speech

All eyes on those appeals because that decision could impact scenarios like this one.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Unless these flyers actually lead and Incite violence (E.g. a riot), I think the president is in a tough spot.

pretty much. They would be extremely hard pressed (re: borderline impossible) to win this fight in court as a state university.

Honestly, in this case it doesn't matter.

The University should act based on its code of conduct and make the cowards that put up these flyers come out of the shadows to defend their bullshit in court.

sjay1994

Cleveland State University =/= USA.
17,261 students =/= 330,000,000 citizens

Many Universities handle this type of bullshit effectively. CSU choosing to throw their hands up like utter cowards is not the norm.

Could have fooled me

With the footage from Charlottesville showing cops having to stand between Klansmen and the counter protestors as they yell "fuck you faggots"

It seems that "free speech" is prioritized so much in America, it doesn't matter what the fuck you have to say.

As long as no one punches each other, everything is free game.

That second statement...wow. Yeah dude I can feel your personal outrage so much. That’s why you barely mention it and then start immediately talking about free speech. Very obvious where this guy’s priorities are.

Dyle

Just to underscore how bad the president's responses are, look at the response when an nearly identical poster was put up in Houston back in May. It really isn't that hard to craft a compassionate message.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/05/flier-bus-stop-houston-encourages-lgbtq-people-commit-suicide/
The Montrose Management District is shocked and dismayed by recent discoveries of anti-LGBT materials posted around Montrose. The District is working closely with law enforcement officers to uncover those responsible for defacing public property and deliberately attempting to antagonize members of our community. We will use every available legal remedy to hold perpetrators responsible and discourage future acts.

The Montrose Management District condemns hate speech of any kind and is dedicated to protecting the diversity, vibrancy and sexual identity and orientation of individuals who live, work and visit our community without question or prejudice. We view our charter of enhancing and promoting the commercial interests of business owners as being intertwined with protecting the rights and liberties of our proudly diverse community.

Montrose is a unique and cherished part of the City of Houston. Our community's identity is based on individual freedoms and the opportunities for our citizens to pursue life on their own terms. The Montrose Management District stands with our friends and neighbors against any efforts to threaten or alienate a minority or group.

Also worth noting is that atm it does not appear to be known who posted it so the legal issues aren't relevant as there is no one to potentially press charges against, and because it was not an approved flier it was not supposed to be posted there anyway, so all the university president had to do was be compassionate
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/10/flyer_at_cleveland_state_unive.html

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Honestly, in this case it doesn't matter.

The University should act based on its code of conduct and make the cowards that put up these flyers come out of the shadows to defend their bullshit in court.

Sure, if you're willing to pay some extra taxes to cover the money the university will have to pay out in court plus lawyers fees every time they lose one of these cases.

Mind you - it very well could be someone outside the university, which then they might be able to go after for trespassing and whatever else they can come up with.

Could have fooled me

With the footage from Charlottesville showing cops having to stand between Klansmen and the counter protestors as they yell "fuck you faggots"

It seems that "free speech" is prioritized so much in America, it doesn't matter what the fuck you have to say.

As long as no one punches each other, everything is free game.

Yep; and as a marginalized minority, I'm pretty OK with this. Because once speech starts getting restricted, I get the feeling the group that has the president on their side will fare much better than the minority group who doesn't.

Reversed

This is really, really appalling and shows how puerile the appliance of american free speech can get. I'd have a long talk within the offices of my alma mater if I saw something similar within the campus.

Misha

Banned
It's not "I want you dead". It's "hey look at all these people who commit suicide like you, think about it, wink wink."

It absolutely doesn't say that. It says "follow". Its a command. The rest of the poster is telling them what they're supposed to follow.

Whether courts are dumb enough to not be allowed to recognized that is a different question but its not hinting anything, its stating it.

Imagine if I wrote a text to someone saying "I'm on a ✈". Clearly that says I'm on a plane. This isn't any more veiled

Someone made a graffiti on a wall telling gays and blacks to kill themselves in my Cal State. It was crazy because our college is one of our most diverse in the state. Anyways, our President handled it like a boss, wall was painted within hours and we got a very angry and inspiring letter from her about doing everything in her power to stop this behavior.

So I'm kinda shocked about this news, specially since they are fliers o_O

Lemme see this university just try this "freedom of speech/civil discourse" line if the flyer targeted black students instead and used racial slurs. It'd be equally disgusting and repulsive, but something tells me faculty would have enough sense to react differently.

Edit: Sorry if that sounds like I'm dragging other minorities into this in an uncalled manner. Absolutely not trying to blame one minority or measure one group's struggle to another. Just that sometimes, I think if someone acts in an out of line manner, hypothetically applying the scenario to another group acts as a reality check.

Sure, if you're willing to pay some extra taxes to cover the money the university will have to pay out in court plus lawyers fees every time they lose one of these cases.

Mind you - it very well could be someone outside the university, which then they might be able to go after for trespassing and whatever else they can come up with.

I fully expect it's somebody from outside the university, which would make it pretty easy to shut down. If it's not, well, let's all see who it is so we can further this "civil dialogue" face-to-face.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Wow, so people are just wearing "fascist" as some kind of twisted badge of honor, now?

People are wearing 'deplorable' as a badge of honor. The world has gone insane.

I’m curious as to how you think this satisfies the imminence portion of the Brandenburg test, because I’m not seeing it.
Since the flyers are advocating self-harm, especially to a demographic that the flyers claim are predisposed to commit self-harm, there is nothing to stop a member of the targeted group from committing the lawless action at the first opportunity.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I fully expect it's somebody from outside the university, which would make it pretty easy to shut down. If it's not, well, let's all see who it is so we can further this "civil dialogue" face-to-face.

Wouldn't be surprised. I'm starting to wonder if there isn't at least a group of folks whose goal is to do stuff like this to provoke both sides into jumping into their pre-established conclusions and cause chaos.

Gin-Shiio

Yep; and as a marginalized minority, I'm pretty OK with this. Because once speech starts getting restricted, I get the feeling the group that has the president on their side will fare much better than the minority group who doesn't.

Never change the law in a way that would solve problems, because minorities will always be the ones they enforce it on the hardest. It's true law enforcement does that; however, going by your argument, the US should not change a single law going forward. Do you really think that's the way to a better future?

I either want to see a clarification on the 1st amendment by the courts or a new amendment that specifically does NOT protect hate speech. I'm getting really tired of people threatening others with zero consequences.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Never change the law in a way that would solve problems, because minorities will always be the ones they enforce it on the hardest. It's true law enforcement does that; however, going by your argument, the US should not change a single law going forward. Do you really think that's the way to a better future?

When it comes to laws about expression, you have to be super careful about this because most civil rights movements were deeply unpopular at the start, and would have been quashed by any "moral" free speech laws. One only needs to go over to Europe to see how this ends up working in actual practice.

I'll refer to Popehat

https://www.popehat.com/2015/10/06/this-royal-throne-of-feels-this-sheltered-isle-this-england/

But the UK's just so openly and obviously awful about speech.

Case in point: Bahar Mustafa, a "welfare and diversity officer" for a student union at University of London, is being charged with a crime for mean tweeting.

Mustafa rose to attention when she suggested that men and white people shouldn't come to a protest event. This, combined with her use of the ironic hashtag #killallwhitemen on her personal Twitter account, made her a target of right-wing pearl-clutching and hand-wringing. But she didn't engage in that fatuity in America, where she might have just been the talking point of the week. She foolishly did it in England, where trespass unto feels, particularly online, subjects you to actual criminal charges. As a result, she's been charged with two crimes: "sending a threatening letter or communication or sending by public communication network an offensive, indecent, obscene or menacing message."

Seriously.

The hashtag "#killallwhitemen" is an in-joke, an example of somewhat belabored signalling and irony with a dash of trolling. It's meant in part to ridicule overblown rhetoric directed at people like Mustafa. It's not a true threat (no men are specified, no time or place is specified, no means are specified, and it's obviously not meant to be taken literally) nor a genuine exhortation to violence (ditto). In a sensible legal system it shouldn't generate anything more than an eye-roll. But in a feels-based legal system, it's actionable.

It is apparently your theory that the law is sexist, racist, and every other -ist, driven by privilege and wealth, and that free speech norms serve to protect rich white guys — yet somehow exceptions to free speech norm will be imposed in an egalitarian, progressive way. That is almost indescribably moronic. Go sit in the corner and think about what you have done.

Gin-Shiio

When it comes to laws about expression, you have to be super careful about this because most civil rights movements were deeply unpopular at the start, and would have been quashed by any "moral" free speech laws. One only needs to go over to Europe to see how this ends up working in actual practice.

I'll refer to Popehat

https://www.popehat.com/2015/10/06/this-royal-throne-of-feels-this-sheltered-isle-this-england/

I know you mean no harm, but please don't generalize Europe like that. Your example is England, so I will raise you Germany. Our government has made a conscious effort to stomp hate speech for a long time now, recently threatening Facebook and Twitter with charges should they fail to better control posts made on their platforms. Social media aside, hate speech can net you up to five years in prison over here. This is law by §130.

And here's the catch: §130 does explicitly not apply to hate speech against the majority of our country. Now, we don't think in race here first and foremost, so by majority that means Germans of course, but I do think law extensions like that can go a long way. Likewise, an American version of this law should absolutely require an extension in the same vein.

You know, if the LGBT and POC got together and made a similar flier telling racists and bigots to kill themselves, I wonder how fast it would be taken down?

Don't answer.

I already know.

This is just embarassing.

Old white man.

that's what I thought when I saw the email

holy crap. hate speech like this is allowed in cleveland uni? They need a protest.

low-G

You know, if the LGBT and POC got together and made a similar flier telling racists and bigots to kill themselves, I wonder how fast it would be taken down?

Don't answer.

I already know.

This is just embarassing.

One could make posters about how many Nazis were killed by Americans, and just make up stats (why not), and have lots of pictures of guns etc.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
What drives me insane is that there are parents out there of some of the kids that put this shit together who - if confronted with the fact that their little shit was a useless bigot fuck - would just "Thas mah boi!!" and waddle themselves back into the living room for some good ol fox news or whatever the fuck...

I cannot imagine the fucking shalacking i would give my kid in 12ish years if i found out she was involved with any kind of bullshit like this.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I know you mean no harm, but please don't generalize Europe like that. Your example is England, so I will raise you Germany. Our government has made a conscious effort to stomp hate speech for a long time now, recently threatening Facebook and Twitter with charges should they fail to better control posts made on their platforms. Social media aside, hate speech can net you up to five years in prison over here. This is law by §130.

And here's the catch: §130 does explicitly not apply to hate speech against the majority of our country. Now, we don't think in race here first and foremost, so by majority that means Germans of course, but I do think law extensions like that can go a long way. Likewise, an American version of this law should absolutely require an extension in the same vein.

My apologies, I was over-generalizing by using Europe in that scenario.

Germany brings up the problem of "how useful is this at combating hate" - at least if the recent elections are any indication. Which is kind of where this leads to - in the US, after 9/11, the public gave up privacy rights for "safety" from terrorism - and then the entire NSA / Wikileaks / Snowden thing was the result of it. No one can actually say if we were ever made safer from those changes. I fear that giving up speech rights for a nebulous concept of "reducing hate" when there doesn't seem to be much evidence that it does so. Or on a broader level - in my lifetime, the US has generally taken notoriously shallow and superficial solutions to make it look like there are less problems rather than dealing with the problems (see schools post Columbine, security post 9/11, etc). This appears to be a similar solution - we don't want it to "look" bad, rather than "why is it rising". On top of that, as someone who grew up as a minority in a locally conservative area (and has family who still lives there); the application of such exceptions would be almost certainly used against my family. I think a lot of these anti-speech arguments make sense if you live somewhere that the local government and population is fairly liberal, and so you believe it will get used against the bad people. It does not make as much sense to me if you are somewhere that you are the minority ideology wise.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/06/germany-failing-to-tackle-rise-in-hate-crime/

EDIT: This is why I think Trump can go fuck himself when it comes to the NFL players kneeling. Conservatives can't complain about private universities "stifling free speech" and then turn around and bitch about NFL players kneeling.

SoulUnison

Banned

How can you say it's not, though?

The title of the poster is basically straight-up saying "kill yourselves," and the image depicted has an undercurrent of "...or we'll do it for you."

Thought it was necessary to update what's been happening as best I can tell for those not in the area here and have become a little invested in this story.

I believe yesterday new signs from the LGBTQ+ Clubs on campus started appearing more.

i9kqBGW.jpg

(I'll try to grab pics of those here in a sec). There appeared to be some more rallies in the quad which led to students marching to President Berkman's office (he wasn't there of course)

Tonight, CSU put out a press release/open letter (you can read that here) which seems to indicate a much more sincere response from those in charge and some of the other higher ups. Looks like CSU is planning on creating more programs and an advistory committee to address this stuff in the future so another PR nightmare doesn't happen...which is good and really shouldn't have happened in the first place if Berkman would have shown some humanity.

Alucrid

Banned
Thought it was necessary to update what's been happening as best I can tell for those not in the area here and have become a little invested in this story.

I believe yesterday new signs from the LGBTQ+ Clubs on campus started appearing more. (I'll try to grab pics of those here in a sec). There appeared to be some more rallies in the quad which led to students marching to President Berkman's office (he wasn't there of course)

Tonight, CSU put out a press release/open letter (you can read that here) which seems to indicate a much more sincere response from those in charge and some of the other higher ups. Looks like CSU is planning on creating more programs and an advistory committee to address this stuff in the future so another PR nightmare doesn't happen...which is good and really shouldn't have happened in the first place if Berkman would have shown some humanity.

this response says "The flyers were immediately removed." doesn't seem like it was that hard "prevent these messages from being disseminated" mr president

Top Bottom