• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Fire in High Rise Apartment in London

The building owner needs to lose everything, but it still wouldn't be enough

If they knew their smoke/fire systems weren't up to snuff and that is what let the blaze get out of control, that's dozens of negligent homicide charges. They're going away for a long time.

Person on Twitter saying the fire started at 11.30pm wtf. Kids were screaming save us from the top floor and people were busy recording on their smartphones. 😢

There is nothing to be done. No one without special gear and training can get in and out of that building alive.

cirrhosis

This shit is unreal. It's a scene I never thought I'd see live again, takes me back to watching it live all over again on that Tuesday morning. All I can say is I hope people made it out. Man.

Beefy

This is incredibly sad.

We have no idea what caused this and it is too early to be saying something like that. Building could have been well maintained and in code. It could be something that multiple inspectors didn't catch. It could be intentional. We have no idea what caused this yet and it is way to early to make this claim.

Been on the news that it wasn't:

Faulty electrical wiring
Fire alarms not working
Rubbish build up outside

And many other things

This is incredibly sad.

We have no idea what caused this and it is too early to be saying something like that. Building could have been well maintained and in code. It could be something that multiple inspectors didn't catch. It could be intentional. We have no idea what caused this yet and it is way to early to make this claim.
Someone posted earlier this building has had a shit reputation already

This is incredibly sad.

It clearly wasn't from what's been posted. The owner didn't care it seems and it was a known fire risk

If they knew their smoke/fire systems weren't up to snuff and that is what let the blaze get out of control, that's dozens of negligent homicide charges. They're going away for a long time.

There is nothing to be done. No one without special gear and training can get in and out of that building alive.

I know nothing can be done. But you don't need to record people in distress.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The person filming is a cunt

They could save him with a ladder. Why is nothing being done?

I think someone in the stream comments said they did tell the firefighters. Then again, they issued an alert saying people are to self-evacuate, so I don't know if anything will be done.

Also its apparently on the 7th floor so not sure if they could just grab a ladder for this.

Breakage

Saw this on the news. The pictures were utterly terrifying. If you're on the top floor I don't see how you'd survive. Apparently it's a council block that was built in 60s. It was recently refurbished and some decorative outer cladding was added to "smarten" it up - and it looks as if this cladding has fuelled the fire. People were commenting on how rapidly the fire spread in the space of 15 minutes.

Mimosa97

I think someone in the stream comments said they did tell the firefighters. Then again, they issued an alert saying people are to self-evacuate, so I don't know if anything will be done.

It's 2017 and they can't figure out how to evacuate someone who's stuck on one of the lowest floors of the building ? Wtf is going on ?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It's 2017 and they can't figure out how to evacuate someone who's stuck on one of the lowest floors of the building ? Wtf is going on ?

7th floor apparently, and I don't know if people can get that close to the building. If any firefighters are around they surely hear him.

Whether or not he should be just filming this is another issue.

riotous

Banned

I don't think the person filming is on the ground; they appear to be on top of the building next door.

edit: they are zooming many floors up; they are behind a multi-story building, so the guy waving is probably at least 10 stories up.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
DCQLrnhXUAIwE64.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/GuardianAus/status/874837074666455041

Beefy

Also its apparently on the 7th floor so not sure if they could just grab a ladder for this.

Many of the people that have escaped have said the emergency exits are on fire, so he can't get out himself. It's sick filming some one that could die any min.

But they are still there spraying water at the fire.

And there could be a lack of people injured because people evacuated; i let's all hope for the best at least, everyone is doom and gloom in here.

They gonna have to put the fire out mate otherwise it's going to spread to other buildings. Doesn't mean they can rescue people.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That's a huge fire. How the hell does a building go up like that?

Arson on floors throughout the building would have been my guess before I heard more details.

GHG

But they are still there spraying water at the fire.

And there could be a lack of people injured because people evacuated; i let's all hope for the best at least, everyone is doom and gloom in here.

Exactly. At this point it's a bullshit conspiracy theory.

Anticol

Banned
As always poor people are the one affected and no one cares, the owner of the building will get blamed, as he should, but the emergency response should share the blame as well, from those tweets they didnt even try to help.

riotous

Banned
They gonna have to put the fire out mate otherwise it's going to spread to other buildings. Doesn't mean they can rescue people.

They are still there, which means they didn't give up. That random Twitter user also completely made up the 11pm thing; so how do they know if/when/why the rescue workers apparently "Gave up"?

There's all these theories being thrown around of massive casualties and it's based on pretty much nothing.

Miles X

As always poor people are the one affected and no one cares, the owner of the building will get blamed, as he should, but the emergency response should share the blame as well, from those tweets they didnt even try to help.

Christ, are you for real? Yeah I'm sure that went through the firefighters heads "Oh they're not on triple figure salaries, lets not bother trying to do our jobs and save them!"

Holy shit.

Ashhong

TThe hell you guys want this periscoper to do? It's a tragedy and he's just trying to share. No worse than the news from what I saw. Why so angry at him

Jenov

There's guy on that live periscope stream, yelling out the window for help. Jesus, it doesnt look like they can reach him, and the building does not look stable. Prayers man.

Showaddy

Those tweets are a load of horseshit. Why would you actually believe that crap?

You know nothing of what those emergency services have done, attempted, assessed or been instructed to do. Fuck off with this, I hate how emergency services are sometimes targeted by the those who know nothing.

They are still there, which means they didn't give up. That random Twitter user also completely made up the 11pm thing; so how do they know if/when/why the rescue workers apparently "Gave up"?

There's all these theories being thrown around of massive casualties and it's based on pretty much nothing.

True. But there's quite a few saying the fire started earlier.

Will have to wait and see on that. Just hoping they can get as many survivor out but I doubt it.

Top Bottom