• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pole dancing could be on track to becoming an Olympic sport

As someone that does aerial dance in hoop and tried pole dancing, it is not as easy as some people think, you need a lot of core strength and agility, glad it is being considered for the Olympics.

CREMSteve

Same woman.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-7054-1368025913-12.gif
Bloody amazing.

Anyone that thinks pole dancing is easy and not super athletic needs to try it once. Tons of strength, stamina, and flexibility is needed. It's more of a sport than cheerleading, and should be recognized as such. For all intents and purposes, it's a more strength oriented gymnastics routine.

Jezan

This is a terrible idea and pole dancing is not difficult to that level of athlete.
You need to try pole dancing to know that it actually requires a lot of strength.
Pole gymnastics is a sport in India. They probably mean this kind, because I heard they were trying to push this for Olympics.

indian-pole-gymnast-o.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRXzbPzGwZA
Pole dancing is exactly the same but with a different kind of pole, you can also do those moves.

Pole dancing has this stigma because the "dancing" part of it make pole think it's only about sexy stripping and stuff. But a pole dance needs two parts for the choreography, the floor (which can be dancing but doesn't need to be sexy or it could just be coordinated strength and balance moves) and the aerial part which is anything that involves spins, grabs, etc. on the pole. Besides there are different categories of pole dancing, one is the "sexy dance".

I practice it and the amount of times I had bruises that look like a zombie infection because you need to basically hang all your weight on the pole with a tiny fraction of your skin is just outrageous, will change the perception of anyone ditching it as a sport.
Besides I have seen many guys that want to try it and they are sometimes arrogant af because they go to the gym, first class and they are almost throwing up, while not being able to last even a second in a basic grab.

Example of not sexy but awesome:
This guy is greatTo let go the pole while spinning in mid-air is something not everyone wants to do because it requires a lot f concentration and strength, if you do it too soon or too late you can fuck up your wrists. He has many tricks like that.

I hope there is a minimum age. I don't really want to see 15 year olds doing this.
You are mixing two different things. It doesn't need to be sexy, in clubs it's the sexy version because well, they are doing it at nightclubs. IMO, slow sexy songs give you more time to breath between moves and time to "rest" in positions to catch your breath, it's easier to coordinate a sexy song to a choreography than anything that's faster.

Most outfits also are showing too much skin because it's easier to use that skin to "grab" the pole and not abuse the arms all the time for the strength needed. If you use jeans and long sleeves you requiere a lot more strength to grab a pole with the little friction clothes proved against the metal surface.

Example of really strong pole dancers:
Pole Dance Party
The issue is I have an understanding of competitive gymnastics and understand exactly the skill required to do it. Sure pole dancing looks impressive but its really not on a level I think deserves to be in the Olympics. I would take silks way ahead of pole dancing. I also understand that the Olympics starts with very young children.

P.S. What exactly is a professional pole dancer?
This is a submission video for a competition in Mexico:
Spider-man Pole dance
See you, don't need to be in a sexy attire and grinding on the pole all the time.

she is a friend of mine and she is fucking awesome <3

You need to try pole dancing to know that it actually requires a lot of strength.

Pole dancing is exactly the same but with a different kind of pole, you can also do those moves.

Pole dancing has this stigma because the "dancing" part of it make pole think it's only about sexy stripping and stuff. But a pole dance needs two parts for the choreography, the floor (which can be dancing but doesn't need to be sexy or it could just be coordinated strength and balance moves) and the aerial part which is anything that involves spins, grabs, etc. on the pole. Besides there are different categories of pole dancing, one is the "sexy dance".

I practice it and the amount of times I had bruises that look like a zombie infection because you need to basically hang all your weight on the pole with a tiny fraction of your skin is just outrageous, will change the perception of anyone ditching it as a sport.
Besides I have seen many guys that want to try it and they are sometimes arrogant af because they go to the gym, first class and they are almost throwing up, while not being able to last even a second in a basic grab.

It is like that for everything new that people try. I doubt that anyone semi-intelligent thinks that they can just walk into pole dancing.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This topic convinced me that men should never pole dance. Nothing about sexual attraction. It's just not very aesthetic. It looks very ugly when it's a man, but artful and beautiful when it's a woman.

Jezan

It is like that for everything new that people try. I doubt that anyone semi-intelligent thinks that they can just walk into pole dancing.
This is only my experience so maybe this sounds a little arrogant, but I am the only guy at my academy (Mexico) because people think this is a "thing for women" (not even a sport). My ex told me I was toooooo gay for him if I started doing pole. So my class has only women and me, these women tell their friends and family to try it, if they come, many guys are already dismissing it as "how hard can it be" or "if you (referring to their female friend/wife/gf) can do it I will do it easily" but at the same time I think many of them get discouraged when they try only one day and they can't do what all of us have been doing for years.

Going out of topic a little bit, is a really nice example of the machismo culture of Mexico.

Anyone on the fence should try it, it is hard at first but it's also fun, really fun.

I saw the gifset of this video on tumbler many years ago, and that was it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lmejPu2CPk

RM8

This topic convinced me that men should never pole dance. Nothing about sexual attraction. It's just not very aesthetic. It looks very ugly when it's a man, but artful and beautiful when it's a woman.
Welp, I was going to say it looks pretty cool with men too, lol.

magic-mike-xxl-trailer-male-pole-dancing_1423086976.jpg

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What? Look at the post above mine.

Staf

My ex was an pole dancer. Never met a person in greater shape. She was/is an amazing athlete. I approve.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

See, that just looks off to me. Again, it's not about "Hot girls pole dancing LAWL!". It's a beautiful and artful discipline. I just don't think the male form is appropriate for this, from an aesthetic point of view. Too rough and quite frankly ugly IMO. Nothing against the atheticism though. These guys are fit!

AlexBasch

"hur dur pole dancing is ez"

Jesus, can you guys be more goddamn ignorant about stuff sometimes?

And I'm surprised people see this as "lewd stuff only women do". Male performers have to train a lot to get the muscular strenght to do stuff like that, my girlfriend's best friend is an instructor at a gym and he can do pretty incredible stuff. It's not something so simple.

And like Jezan said, yeah, many people think he's gay for some reason, fucking machismo in Mexico, man. :/
P.D. Thanks for the videos Jezan, gonna share them with him, I'm sure he's gonna like that Spiderman one. :p

Curling exists as an Olympic sport already so who cares?

Then there Dressage, which is Olympic horse pransing..

I'll take pole dancing over either.

Imo anything that requires skill to master, has a huge skill gap between amateur and pro that is also entertaining to watch should have a place in the Olympics.

Need to spice the Olympics up somehow.
Esports would at least make the Olympics relevant to a younger audience. Maybe pole dancing would get it done views too.

Not

Banned

Just pretend the pole isn't your penis

Why not. They have trampoline and that thing where they push a broom in front of a puck with a handle, on ice in the Olympics.

Why isn't skateboarding and other half pipe sports in the Olympics?

How would you score a pole dance performance?
Sticking notes in a garter?

It's not really any different than most other gymnastic routines. The clothes and suggestive poses(which may or may not be suggestive depending on the clothes) are the only things that turn it from gymnastics, to something cruder.

MoeDabs

This mentality is part of the problem pole dancing faces today. Just because some strippers do it, does not make it sexual as a whole. Furthermore, if a person gets sexual ideas from watching children exhibit feats of strength, skill, and coordination then that says more about that person than it does the sport.

Professional pole dancing is a whole different class compared to what you would see at your local strip club. I'm sorry you cannot disassociate the two.

And most of the best pole dancers have worked in a strip club. You are just as bad as the people you chastised. You are pathetic and a piece of human shit.

Well, the Olympics have interpretive dancing with ribbons...

Pole dancing would fit right in.

And most of the best pole dancers have worked in a strip club. You are just as bad as the people you chastised. You are pathetic and a piece of human shit.
You realize ballet was just a 19th century method of putting prostitutes on display for the upper class, right? I suppose to you it still is?

All those kids in ballet class... All prostitutes to you?

Myriadis

Calling someone out in a harsh way based on an unsupported claim. What the fuck is wrong with you?

MoeDabs

Calling someone out in a harsh way based on an unsupported claim. What the fuck is wrong with you?

Only following his example what the fuck is wrong with you?
I work in the industry, I DJ for some of the best Pole dancers out there. What about yourself?

Myriadis

Only following his example what the fuck is wrong with you?
I work in the industry, I DJ for some of the best Pole dancers out there. What about yourself?

My example is my sister and her friends who pile dance purely for sport and nothing else. Pole dancing is used by strippers, but to reduce pole dancing to a purely sexual activity is incredibly shortsighted.
That stigma needs to go.

MoeDabs

My example is my sister and her friends who pile dance purely for sport and nothing else. Pole dancing is used by strippers, but to reduce pole dancing to a purely sexual activity is incredibly shortsighted.
That stigma needs to go.

Then they are some basic pole girls and at best culture vultures. Removing the sexuality from the pole routine is missing a huge point of the profession. You don’t have to like it. Just don’t be ignorant

Top Bottom