• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Socreges

Banned
On my honeymoon in Honolulu and my amazing wife sends me this:

Great Waikiki Beer Festival

Any way to find more information? Like, if the breweries bring interesting beers or just their staples? And whether or not we have to pay for beer or if it's included in the ticket cost?

Mitch

Banned
For real. After having open heart surgery I was ready to give up drinking if necessary but the doctors said it’s not an issue. My heart is healthy other than a busted valve. I’m on Warfarin (blood thinner) for a few months (had my valve repaired, if they had to replace it with something mechanical or from an animal I’d have to have to be on them forever) so no crazy bottle share binges but otherwise reasonable drinking is just fine.
That's good to know! I'm just getting fat, so that's my main reason for trying not to drink as much during the week. Being somewhat broke helps a little, but damn it, it's Cleveland Beer Week!

I'm a drunk of sorts, like I need a little bit on certain days just to be able to sleep.
Stress is my trigger. Sometimes I just get home and crack open something.

I was trying to cut back on drinking during the week prior to my unexpected surgery, so this is just helping. Beer also tasted absolutely terrible for about a week after I got home from the hospital. I understood people who don’t like hops, everything was just bitter and tatsted like “burning.”

Socreges

Banned
Glad to hear you're alright, distant.....and still able to enjoy what I imagine is your favourite hobby.

Friend of mine brought me about 10 beers from London breweries last week. Gonna have to report back here once I've had a chance to sample them.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Glad to hear you're alright, distant.....and still able to enjoy what I imagine is your favourite hobby.

Friend of mine brought me about 10 beers from London breweries last week. Gonna have to report back here once I've had a chance to sample them.

Hope for beer by Kernel, Brew by Numbers, Fourpure in particular.

Fullers London Porter basically defines the style.

Pray there's nothing by Greene King

Mitch

Banned
I bought one bomber of BrewDoo and it wasn't as good as last year's release. My tastebuds could've been shocked from drinking earlier that day, though.

Haven't had a chance to grab Harvest Ale, but I've had a few other local wet/fresh hops and they have been damn good. Fat Head's Hop Stalker has been stellar this year. Probably going to get more of that this weekend.

Also hitting up a big celebration of the hop IPA fest tomorrow. Should be fun.

This is actually the first time I'm seeing this thread, and I hope it survives the GAF drama.

Can we talk about homebrew here or are we sticking to actual licensed beer? Cause I have a citrus what ale fermenting that I'm pretty stoked about.

Don’t plan on nuking my account, but definitely taking a step back to see what goes down. Some of the juniors coming out of the woodwork and defending questionable behavior make me sad.

Anyone set up a beer community discord by any chance?

I also post at Beer Advocate and TalkBeer, so Discord doesn’t do much for me.

SeattleBeerPenguin on Untappd if we’re not already friends.

Lotto

Well this is a total bummer. Maybe it's time to just switch to some dedicated beer forum instead. This was always one of my favorite threads on GAF, catch me on Untappd too: Iwazaru

Well this is a total bummer. Maybe it's time to just switch to some dedicated beer forum instead. This was always one of my favorite threads on GAF, catch me on Untappd too: Iwazaru

The only real bummer about BA and TalkBeer is that there aren't a lot of general forums, mostly broken up by region.

Mitch

Banned
I'll create a BeerGAF discord with some security in place since I don't plan on coming back. PM me if you'd like the link. I'll have it set up in the next 5 hours or so.

I mostly post on TB, much better than those try-hards at BA.

Although I have found the most active beer groups these days are on Facebook, broken up by region of course.

reddit is the worst though, I can't read the beer subreddit for more than 5 minutes without getting frustrated by some stupid comments

I mostly post on TB, much better than those try-hards at BA.

Although I have found the most active beer groups these days are on Facebook, broken up by region of course.

reddit is the worst though, I can't read the beer subreddit for more than 5 minutes without getting frustrated by some stupid comments

That's how I feel about Facebook beer groups.

I think pretty much everyone has moved on from GAF, btw.

jason10mm

Gold Member
A new microbrew just opened up in my town. Has some really great beers (i.e. not overrun with IPAs :p. Does really small runs though, like 5 gallon batches, makes it hard to get in before the new stuff is out. He just did a chocolate framboise, basically a raspberry stout with some chocolate pushed with nitro. Really nice.

Another microbrewery here did a scotch ale aged in bourbon barrels. Sooo good.

Top Bottom