• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn sorry to hear about that, glad you are okay though.

I have the Panasonic GX1 paired with the 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens and am loving it.. the entire setup is extremely lightweight / portable and the picture quality it's capable of producing is stunning, right up there with DSLRs. Highly recommend going the micro four thirds route.

Depends on what he really wants though. I guess he wants small size yet with DSLR-like controls. That pretty much rules out lower-end m43 models like the E-PM1 or the GF3/5. Then again, how badly does he want a (E)viewfinder? The models with integrated EVFs are bigger and not as "pocketable".

Had he still had his Canon gear, NEX and the mirrorless Canon could be the better option for his lenses.

To top it all, Photokina is just around the corner. Lots of new models will be announced. Olympus will (at last) update its Pen line with, hopefully, some of the same features as the OM-D (sensor and AF in particular). Sony also has the NEX5R and the NEX6 which look like interesting propositions.

Maybe he can try to see which lenses he wants and see which mirrorless system more closely matches his needs.

Depends on what he really wants though. I guess he wants small size yet with DSLR-like controls. That pretty much rules out lower-end m43 models like the E-PM1 or the GF3/5. Then again, how badly does he want a (E)viewfinder? The models with integrated EVFs are bigger and not as "pocketable".

Had he still had his Canon gear, NEX and the mirrorless Canon could be the better option for his lenses.

To top it all, Photokina is just around the corner. Lots of new models will be announced. Olympus will (at last) update its Pen line with, hopefully, some of the same features as the OM-D (sensor and AF in particular). Sony also has the NEX5R and the NEX6 which look like interesting propositions.

Maybe he can try to see which lenses he wants and see which mirrorless system more closely matches his needs.

They only left 1 lens. I am basically lens agnostic at the point.

Canon has mirrorless cameras? I can wait a bit if needed.

Edit: Oh shit, the EOS M.

VNZ

The new 24-70 costs an arm and a leg. Too much for me for one lens. Looks like I will buy the 100mm Macro L first, and then decide on a standard zoom lens.

Anyone have the 17-40mm? I know that the 16-35mm is better, but it costs almost twice as much. The 17-40mm looks like great value.
I've been on the verge to buy the 17-40 several times, but I've always decided not to when seeing how it's really quite soft even stopped down to optimal aperture. I didn't give a crap about such issues some time ago, but right now I'm in sort of a "sharpness hore" phase. Quite a bad place to be in since basically only 85mm optics and longer is up to par in that regard... :) Anyhow, I'll wait until Canon refreshes their wide angle line-up; both the 16-35/2.8L II and the 17-40mm/4L are candidates for updates in the near future.

That said, the new Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC seems absolutely decent. Also, if one could find a nice deal for the old EF 24-70 f/2.8L it's still a really fine performer (for its flexibilty).

Wait until Photokina. It's barely a month away.

And yes, the EOS-M, but Canon is only going at it half-heartily and is lagging the competition. It could have still made sense to you if you had your lenses, but otherwise, don't bother at this point.

Wait until Photokina. It's barely a month away.

And yes, the EOS-M, but Canon is only going at it half-heartily and is lagging the competition. It could have still made sense to you if you had your lenses, but otherwise, don't bother at this point.

Verge review wasn't that glowing. So Panasonic and Sony are the big two at this point? I would prefer a degree of manual controls because I think taking them all away is a bit silly.

Mobius 1

I need some advice. I will be in Europe for two weeks next month doing the tourist thing, and would like to take the opportunity to photograph a bit.

I have a T2 body, and for glass I currently own a 18.55mm, a 55-250mm, and a 50mm 1.8.

The kit lens is alright, but not great. The 55-250... not good, especially in anything but direct sunlight. The 50mm is great, but it's too cropped on the T2i's sensor, and might be a pain in smaller spaces.

What does GAF recommend as a general use, walk around glass that I could rent for the trip?

Sony is the bigger fish compared to other APS-C mirrorless systems. The combination of price, sensor tech, interface and lenses. It's also a favorite with legacy lens users. Sony did a bang up job making the bodies small, but native lenses tend to be disproportiately big.

Fuji with the X-Pro1 (APS-C) is the king in IQ, but is pricey (around low-end Full Frame range) and falls way short in key areas (AF).

Samsung (APS-C) lags behind in sensor tech and ergonomics, but if want small size with a few key and native primes, it can be a better option than Sony.

Micro43 is actually Panasonic and Olympus together, making compatible yet different bodies and lenses for the same system. There are 3rd parties too (accessories and extra lenses). It's the most complete mirrorless system, it will still pale compared to what you are used to (Canon DSLR), but it's still the best in that market. The system (body+lens) is the smallest around. Micro43 used to lag in IQ but now it's practically on par with APS-C so it's an added bonus.

Apart from Photokina, I think what matters is if you need an EVF and what kind of lenses you want. Answer those questions and it will be easy to figure out where to go from there.

Sony is the bigger fish compared to other APS-C mirrorless systems. The combination of price, sensor tech, interface and lenses. It's also a favorite with legacy lens users. Sony did a bang up job making the bodies small, but native lenses tend to be disproportiately big.

Fuji with the X-Pro1 (APS-C) is the king in IQ, but is pricey (around low-end Full Frame range) and falls way short in key areas (AF).

Samsung (APS-C) lags behind in sensor tech and ergonomics, but if want small size with a few key and native primes, it can be a better option than Sony.

Micro43 is actually Panasonic and Olympus together, making compatible yet different bodies and lenses for the same system. There are 3rd parties too (accessories and extra lenses). It's the most complete mirrorless system, it will still pale compared to what you are used to (Canon DSLR), but it's still the best in that market. The system (body+lens) is the smallest around. Micro43 used to lag in IQ but now it's practically on par with APS-C so it's an added bonus.

Apart from Photokina, I think what matters is if you need an EVF and what kind of lenses you want. Answer those questions and it will be easy to figure out where to go from there.

I want something I can stick in my messenger bag and not add a lot of weight. Yet I want it to be close in IQ. Is the difference between the APS-C and 4:3 that divergent? From what you say no. I would be willing to sacrifice a small amount of IQ for dramatically increased portability.

I want something I can stick in my messenger bag and not add a lot of weight. Yet I want it to be close in IQ. Is the difference between the APS-C and 4:3 that divergent? From what you say no. I would be willing to sacrifice a small amount of IQ for dramatically increased portability.

It used to be divergent, not so much anymore. It also depends on the camera as even the same hardware manufacturer will not use the same sensor with different camera bodies.

If you're like me, I'm not crazy about EVFs (but I do like optical viewfinders). So I prefer the smaller mirrorless models without the EVF built-in (while still having a detachable EVF, just in case), but still with most manual controls at my fingertips. Stick a small yet bright pancake prime and you have a fairly portable camera. I have a similar set-up as the guy with the GX1, except my body is the ageing E-P3 (similar mid range model). Same lens though (20mm f1.7), but I also like the 14mm f2.5 (even smaller and faster AF) and the 45mm f1.8 (not really pancake, but still smallish). This kind of setup is what mirrorless should be all about, IMO.

There's a lot of enthusiasm (in this thread too) for the OM-D, a higher end model with built-in EVF, better sensor, AF, IBIS and weather-proofing. Photokina will also mark the unveiling of the long awaited Panasonic GH3, a camera with similar specs.

It used to be divergent, not so much anymore. It also depends on the camera as even the same hardware manufacturer will not use the same sensor with different camera bodies.

If you're like me, I'm not crazy about EVFs (but I do like optical viewfinders). So I prefer the smaller mirrorless models without the EVF built-in (while still having a detachable EVF, just in case), but still with most manual controls at my fingertips. Stick a small yet bright pancake prime and you have a fairly portable camera. I have a similar set-up as the guy with the GX1, except my body is the ageing E-P3 (similar mid range model). Same lens though (20mm f1.7), but I also like the 14mm f2.5 (even smaller and faster AF) and the 45mm f1.8 (not really pancake, but still smallish). This kind of setup is what mirrorless should be all about, IMO.

There's a lot of enthusiasm (in this thread too) for the OM-D, a higher end model with built-in EVF, better sensor, AF, IBIS and weather-proofing. Photokina will also mark the unveiling of the long awaited Panasonic GH3, a camera with similar specs.

How expensive is the GH3 going to be?

How expensive is the GH3 going to be?

Probably around a grand.

The GH line is a bit special since it is intended for video enthusiasts (as well as photographers) and features an oversized sensor that allows you to take photos/videos at different aspect ratios without cropping. It's a range of camera with a fully articulated LCD screen and looks like a DSLR, but much smaller. The ageing GH2 is currently heavily discounted so it's also an option. Not sure if this is right for you though.

You can still read about the old GH2:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCGH2

Panasonic also has a cheaper line of "DSLR minis" that is roughly half the price (discountinued G3/the newer G5) without the oversized sensor.

http://forums.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg3

Still, I recommend you wait for Photokina!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Verge review wasn't that glowing. So Panasonic and Sony are the big two at this point? I would prefer a degree of manual controls because I think taking them all away is a bit silly.

Panasonic gh2/3 or g3. I have the g3 and am very happy with it. Small and compact but with good manual controls and a built in viewfinder and articulating LCD.

I've been on the verge to buy the 17-40 several times, but I've always decided not to when seeing how it's really quite soft even stopped down to optimal aperture. I didn't give a crap about such issues some time ago, but right now I'm in sort of a "sharpness hore" phase. Quite a bad place to be in since basically only 85mm optics and longer is up to par in that regard... :) Anyhow, I'll wait until Canon refreshes their wide angle line-up; both the 16-35/2.8L II and the 17-40mm/4L are candidates for updates in the near future.

That said, the new Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC seems absolutely decent. Also, if one could find a nice deal for the old EF 24-70 f/2.8L it's still a really fine performer (for its flexibilty).

I'm glad I'm not as far as you are regarding sharpness. Not yet at least. Basically you are looking for the perfect lens, which probably doesn't exist (at least no zoom lens) or is expensive as hell, especially in the wide angle range.

I just bought the 100mm f/2.8L Macro. Had no concerns buying this one, every review says it's superb.

So let me ask this. I did not realize they made "dslr" sized versions of mirrorless cameras. Does sigma make lenses for the mount of panasonic mounts? I see they make 4:3 lenses.

I was kind of thinking of going the 4:3's route for ultimate portability. But the lack of analog controls is what holds me back a little. How "hard to handle" is something like Sony's NEX line? Would I risk losing a shot from the complicated touch controls?

I guess the camera I have kind of fallen in love with is the Sony Nex-5n

edit: In other words, I guess it is between a Lumix and NEX for me.

Having a very hard time chosing between GX1 and NEX-5N. GX1 has better lens line-up and focus speed, but has a problem that causes the camera to shake and make the picture go out of focus.

NEX-5N has arguably better IQ and video performance, but has a worse lens selection. :/

antti-la

I need some advice. I will be in Europe for two weeks next month doing the tourist thing, and would like to take the opportunity to photograph a bit.

I have a T2 body, and for glass I currently own a 18.55mm, a 55-250mm, and a 50mm 1.8.

The kit lens is alright, but not great. The 55-250... not good, especially in anything but direct sunlight. The 50mm is great, but it's too cropped on the T2i's sensor, and might be a pain in smaller spaces.

What does GAF recommend as a general use, walk around glass that I could rent for the trip?

Well just last page I had pretty similar feelings about the nifty fifty and did go for Sigma 30mm f/1.4. You should check it out.

Having a very hard time chosing between GX1 and NEX-5N. GX1 has better lens line-up and focus speed, but has a problem that causes the camera to shake and make the picture go out of focus.

NEX-5N has arguably better IQ and video performance, but has a worse lens selection. :/

What about the NEX-7? Too big for you? It has an APS-C sensor.

Edit: Actually all the NEX hav an APS-C sensor, somehow I thought it's only the NEX-7, my bad.

Hammer24

Banned
Another small update regarding the 100-400mm L:
Autofocus works with the Kenko Extender 1,4x MC4 DGX! I was very surprised. Tried it out at a foto shop, quality wise it seems even better than the 1,4x III from Canon(!). I used "AF point expansion" on my 7D (FW 2.0), worked like a charm. Considering the price of the Kenko, I immediately pulled the trigger.
Protip: If you´re in the market for the Kenko extender, do not buy the MC7 or Pro300 - these are leagues worse than the MC4!

So let me ask this. I did not realize they made "dslr" sized versions of mirrorless cameras. Does sigma make lenses for the mount of panasonic mounts? I see they make 4:3 lenses.

I was kind of thinking of going the 4:3's route for ultimate portability. But the lack of analog controls is what holds me back a little. How "hard to handle" is something like Sony's NEX line? Would I risk losing a shot from the complicated touch controls?

I guess the camera I have kind of fallen in love with is the Sony Nex-5n

edit: In other words, I guess it is between a Lumix and NEX for me.

No, they're not "DSLR sized", but rather designed like DSLR's in a smaller form factor. They're similar to the smaller mirrorless cameras, but you have that extra lump on top to accomodate the EVF. You can see a comparison here:

yBF6u.jpg

c4XRB.jpg

Sigma has not made versions of the same lenses it makes for DSLRs (even 43) to mirrorless. However, they have released new primes for NEX and m43 (Panasonic). The difference, though, is crop factor (1,5X on Sony, 2X on m43) and if you're using Olympus m43 bodies, IBIS. Why Sigma anyway?

The NEX controls were horrible when the cameras first came out but were refined with various firmware updates. The important thing to keep in mind is that the NEX cameras have a lot of operations with touchscreen and menu-driven interface and not many real buttons like traditional DSLR's. You can see what I mean here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_PV6oPsPIg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BPcTQ_lJeM&feature=related

Ultimately, it's something you should try in a store. Some people like it. Others don't.

As far as the NEX5N is concerned, Photokina will reveal the successor the NEX5R and by then, you'll see if it's worth the wait/extra cost or if you can settle for the older, discounted NEX5N.

VNZ

I'm glad I'm not as far as you are regarding sharpness. Not yet at least. Basically you are looking for the perfect lens, which probably doesn't exist (at least no zoom lens) or is expensive as hell, especially in the wide angle range.

I just bought the 100mm f/2.8L Macro. Had no concerns buying this one, every review says it's superb.
Yeah, I should probably just get the 17-40, since there really isn't any absolutely great WA zoom available from Canon right now anyway, and large aperture doesn't matter too much for me when it comes to wide angle photography (it's usually out in the sun and/or with a tripod). The L wide angle primes are rather great, of course, but so expensive, big and heavy that I can't see myself going for them anytime soon. Sooo, the 17-40 it is. This very lunch. :)

Chairhome

Advice requested:
Going on a cruise next month, thinking of renting another lens. I have a 60D with a 50mm 1.8 and the kit lens 18-135mm 3.5-5.6. Probably going to shoot a few landscapes, but probably just all around shots on the ship (Disney cruise! I'm excited) and some video clips of my family. Last time I went on a cruise I rented a 28mm 1.8 and it was fine, but just wanting to try something out.

I have a tendency to want to try a wide lens, but if a more all-around one is recommended, let me know. Here are the pages with the lenses that I'm looking at renting. Trying to keep it under $100 for a week.

wide
standard

Thanks in advance... if anyone wants to help :-D

Hammer24

Banned
Advice requested:
Going on a cruise next month, thinking of renting another lens. I have a 60D with a 50mm 1.8 and the kit lens 18-135mm 3.5-5.6. Probably going to shoot a few landscapes, but probably just all around shots on the ship (Disney cruise! I'm excited) and some video clips of my family. Last time I went on a cruise I rented a 28mm 1.8 and it was fine, but just wanting to try something out.

I have a tendency to want to try a wide lens, but if a more all-around one is recommended, let me know. Here are the pages with the lenses that I'm looking at renting. Trying to keep it under $100 for a week.

wide
standard

For what you describe you want to shoot, you´re more or less good to go.
So why not try something fun and different, and rent a tilt/shift? It´d be in your price range, and with a little trial-and-error, gives very interesting results especially on the ship. If you do, try to shoot from the uppernmost decks down to the lower pool areas, or the port.

Chairhome

For what you describe you want to shoot, you´re more or less good to go.
So why not try something fun and different, and rent a tilt/shift? It´d be in your price range, and with a little trial-and-error, gives very interesting results especially on the ship. If you do, try to shoot from the uppernmost decks down to the lower pool areas, or the port.

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought about that. I'll look into it!

fat pat

Advice requested:

wide
standard

why not try the 10-22? it fits in your price range...and also i want you to test it out so i can decide if i want to buy it.

It could just use the A-mount right?

No, that would be like the Pentax K-01, a camera without a mirror box kept as large as a (Pentax) DSLR to suit the legacy lenses. Pointless.

The point of mirrorless cameras (unless you're Pentax with the K-01) is to remove the clunky mirror box, shrink the body significantly and redesign new lenses around it.

Zyzyxxz

No, that would be like the Pentax K-01, a camera without a mirror box kept as large as a (Pentax) DSLR to suit the legacy lenses. Pointless.

The point of mirrorless cameras (unless you're Pentax with the K-01) is to remove the clunky mirror box, shrink the body significantly and redesign new lenses around it.

Yeah I didn't think of that.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
People are speculating that Sony may just take the Pelicle mirror out of their SLT cameras now that Phase Detect can be done on sensor which would make the whole mirrorless and SLR sector converge with those bodies into a possible FF mirrorless. With that said to actually make use of the empty space would require a shortened mount to sensor distance which, as stated, means a new mount that isn't the E-Mount.

Being someone who shoots purely manual focus I'd love for Sony to do something stupid like this :lol

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Well, I just pulled the trigger on a Fuji X-10, and can't wait to play with it on my work trip next week!

If anyone has been paying attention; I've been back and forth and back and forth and back again on what to do with my camera setup. I can't seem to decide if I want to fully ditch an SLR and go with a compact system, if the OM-D is small enough, or if I want to bother with something else.

But I saw a great deal on an X-10 last night and it made my decision - $350 shipped, complete, and like-new in box. I'm sick of not having any camera at all on my trips, and figured at the very least, this is a HUGE upgrade over bringing nothing (since I leave the D90 and lenses at home). I hear it's a bit quirky, and the small sensor is kinda disappointing. But it seems like night/dusk photography really shines with this kit; and considering I'm off browsing weird cities in the early to late evening, it should be perfect.

And worst case scenerio, I should be able to sell it for what I spent in a month if I realize it's not for me.

Mobius 1

Nobody? :(

tino

Banned

I would rent the 17-55. Or a good all-in-one lens, like 24-105 or 28-300 (in that case you give up the wide end, but you can make up with panorama software.). Leave the two kit lenses home.

My experience with going on a trip with family is that there is almost no time to change lens and no time to compose photos. Its like taking pictures with one hand tied behind your back.'

Also check out keh, they have good return policy.

Well, I never thought I'd find an L Lens in the wild. Unfortunately, it's beat to ****. I weep for it. Sorry for the crap pics. So sad. The divots in the glass are killer. The focus ring (I think that's the one) is locked as the switch is broken. I tried screwing it into my T3 to test it, but it doesn't lock into place. Arghhh! I ended up throwing it up on eBay and made quadruple my money in minutes, but, it would've been amazing to find a god condition working one for the $25 I paid.

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Well, I never thought I'd find an L Lens in the wild. Unfortunately, it's beat to ****. I weep for it. Sorry for the crap pics. So sad. The divots in the glass are killer. The focus ring (I think that's the one) is locked as the switch is broken. I tried screwing it into my T3 to test it, but it doesn't lock into place. Arghhh! I ended up throwing it up on eBay and made quadruple my money in minutes, but, it would've been amazing to find a god condition working one for the $25 I paid.

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

The condition its in is unfortunate but it truly is a great lens. It rivals the 70-200/4 L in regards to IQ where the 70-200/4 is better mechanically (faster AF). That 80-200/4 'L' is lovingly called the 'Magic Drainpipe'.

dmshaposv

Hey dudes,

I'm looking to get a gift for my sister - a very nice "advanced" point-shoot, fixed lens camera which should have IQ somewhat comprable to a DSLR. Also she loves the bokeh, so a fast lens is a must.

I'm trying to decide between the Fujifilm X10 or the new Sony RX100. Which one should I go for? I personally love the fuji but sony has a faster lens (f1.8) and twice as larger sensor (1' vs. 2/3)

fujifilm_x10_pricing-550x399.jpg

SonyRX100_slant_right_450.jpg

A friend of mine had to make the same decision (also including the Canon G1X) and took the X10, mostly because of the viewfinder and the more attractive price tag.
I would have opted for the Sony because it is much more pocket friendly and the X10 viewfinder is not terribly good for people wearing glasses (like me).
Pictures come out fine on both cameras, but I would prefer the Fuji colours a little bit more.

So it is quite a dead race in my view and the result depends on personal taste. It is more important to try out both cameras in a store to find the one that has the better handling for your individual likings.

EDIT: The Sony lens might be faster at the low end but on the tele end it is quite slow. But overall it is damn good for this class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom