• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Monster Hunter World trailer shows off Wildspire Waste

kogasu

Oh I forgot to post in here but the trailer got me more hyped to play! I'm ready to see some more environments for sure. I can deal with the color saturation thing but I 'd rather it look more vibrant and lively.

The only Monster Hunter I've ever played is literally, that XX demo that's on Switch lol and I had a difficult time with the combat... I'm thinking that's just me being a huge beginner though lol.

Delio

Monster Hunter has always had QoL improvements with every iteration but given the huge leap in available RAM and CPU when going from 3DS to current gen consoles it presents an opportunity to make some drastic changes and improvements in many areas and that's exactly what they're doing.

As for 'glory days', all I'm going to say is every release of Monster Hunter is a glory day and I'll leave it at that.

I agree with every release is glory. It's such a fun series no matter what :)

This looks brilliant. How does online work in MH games though? Can you just seamlessly happen across other hunters whilst exploring the big environments or do you have to purposely join other people's world's?

Raide

This looks brilliant. How does online work in MH games though? Can you just seamlessly happen across other hunters whilst exploring the big environments or do you have to purposely join other people's world's?

For MH World you either go in solo and, if you need, call for help. Or you can just group up with hunters, pick the quest and all head in together. Also you can solo and have Palico (Pet Cats) to help in place of humans.

As much as this is now open world style, it's still MH and not an MMO.

For MH World you either go in solo and, if you need, call for help. Or you can just group up with hunters, pick the quest and all head in together. Also you can solo and have Palico (Pet Cats) to help in place of humans.

As much as this is now open world style, it's still MH and not an MMO.
When you say call for help if I'm having trouble in a mission ppl can join me mid hunt

Kyoufu

Sony doesn't have a problem with PS4/PC cross-play but I think Capcom has a problem with cross-play between two platforms running on different frame rates. The Switch version of MHXX could have ran at 60fps but it's locked at 30 which I imagine is because of 3DS cross-play.

Or maybe they just couldn't be bothered to do it. Maybe DLC content on PC won't be available day and date with the PS4 version posing compatibility issues? Who knows.

Khezu

It's a shame Sony won't play ball with MS when it comes to crossplay.

Having cross play with PC/PS4/Xbone and possible an eventual switch port would be super neat.

Isn't Minecraft trying to do something similar?

Sony doesn't have a problem with PS4/PC cross-play but I think Capcom has a problem with cross-play between two platforms running on different frame rates. The Switch version of MHXX could have ran at 60fps but it's locked at 30 which I imagine is because of 3DS cross-play.

Or maybe they just couldn't be bothered to do it. Maybe DLC content on PC won't be available day and date with the PS4 version posing compatibility issues? Who knows.

MHXX Switch is definitely not locked at 30fps

Defuser

I think some new interested people here have some misconception of Monster Hunter World when it comes to new areas.
Each new area we seen so far isn't connected to the other area eg. Wild spire isn't connected to ancient forest area in E3.

It's basically at it's core MH is a arena style hunting game. In the old games,the area is broken into several segments so each segment is a arena to fight in. In World the segments are gone and it's now one bigass area to fight in.

The only time you ever explore is when you do gathering quest, if not most of the time you just load in the area, find the monster and kill it. You won't encounter other players roaming around because it's not really that type of a game.

Sayad

DF test is also missing 4 players gameplay, so it's far from conclusive.

Crossplay between PS4 and PC should really fuckin happen. It's a co-op action game after all.
Wouldn't want this, PC would have a big enough community to hold its own for sure, and I have zero faith in Capcom's ability to prevent cheats. I'm picking up both versions(lots of friends on both platforms), but would like to have at least one cheat free version.

Raide

When you say call for help if I'm having trouble in a mission ppl can join me mid hunt

Yeah, World added a flare gun as part of you loadout. It's called the slinger and it's used for the grappling hook, throwing various rocks/items etc and also shooting into the sky to call for help.

Which one them does not include Xbox?
I don't see Capcom going out of their way to make PS4/PC only Xplay, do you?

And whether or not it's only to freeze out Xbox, it's a shitty, anti-consumer practice that leads to devs not implementing any Xplay in its stead.

cheesekao

I don't see Capcom going out of their way to make PS4/PC only Xplay, do you?
Going out of their way? Whether Capcom want xplay on pc/Xbox or pc/ps4 is up to them as both companies have no issue with that.

Your initial statement was that PS4/PC cross play won't happen due to Sony not allowing Xbox cross play and unless you can provide a solid reasoning as to why that is, you're just rambling.

Going out of their way? Whether Capcom want xplay on pc/Xbox or pc/ps4 is up to them as both companies have no issue with that.

Your initial statement was that PS4/PC cross play won't happen due to Sony not allowing Xbox cross play and unless you can provide a solid reasoning as to why that is, you're just rambling.
It's easier to have servers for everyone than segregating them, maybe? I can't imagine why else so many devs are complaining about Sony roadblocking Xplay.

Yes, Capcom would have to be interested in providing them in the first place. All I was saying was not to expect them to receive any help or encouragement from Sony in that area given they're recent behavior. Which has been to block efforts at establishing Xplay.

Sayad

It's easier to have servers for everyone than segregating them, maybe? I can't imagine why else so many devs are complaining about Sony roadblocking Xplay.
It's more work running your own/third party servers instead of just using live/PSN/steam for match making and what not, everyone is fine with the extra work because it provide a big selling point.

Capcom on the other hand doesn't seem to be competent enough to even do such a simple thing, most of SFV online problems comes from their sorry ass servers, to the point where they themselves are trying to push "going back to PSN/Steam instead of Capcom's own servers" with MvCI as a selling point.

Sayad

Didn't see this get any mention here, at around one minute in, the scene right before the Diablos coming out of the ground, there's a shot with some flying monsters, we hear a scream and the player character looks at the sky, it's hard to see with youtube shitty compression, but Gamersyde's version make it very clear that there's a stealthy/sea-through monster flying in that shot(player character is looking at it too):
vGlwaka.png

It's either a big monster with a stealth ability or the scream effect from one of the small flying monsters(which is weird for a small monster to have that kind of scream)!

Yes, Capcom would have to be interested in providing them in the first place. All I was saying was not to expect them to receive any help or encouragement from Sony in that area given they're recent behavior. Which has been to block efforts at establishing Xplay.

It's really important to understand that Sony has never attempted to block crossplay with PC. New PS4/PC crossplay games are popping every week, the last one in my mind being Tooth and Tail.

JonnyKong

I feel like this is the one franchise above all others I'd love to try get into cos it looks a shit load of fun, but I've never played one before and wouldn't know where to start.

This looks like it might be a nice diving in point? I have no idea. 🤔

I realise the game is quite complex so I'd ideally need a Monster Hunter that has some kind of decent tutorial for noobs.

Sayad

I feel like this is the one franchise above all others I'd love to try get into cos it looks a shit load of fun, but I've never played one before and wouldn't know where to start.

This looks like it might be a nice diving in point? I have no idea. 🤔

I realise the game is quite complex so I'd ideally need a Monster Hunter that has some kind of decent tutorial for noobs.
It's probably best to wait since this is supposed to be the one easiest to get into, beside it's changing a lot of obtuse stuff that used to turn people off in the older games. But if you really want to get ready before MHW comes out, MH4U on the 3DS is your best bet.

Usobuko

Banned
How grindy is Monster Hunter?

I kinda wanna jump into World but would wanna keep my expectations in check. As in how much of the same monster to kill to make an equipment out of it when you're at the high tier?

Raide

I kinda wanna jump into World but would wanna keep my expectations in check. As in how much of the same monster to kill to make an equipment out of it when you're at the high tier?

If you want to craft all gear and weapons in order to experience the game fully and get chance to show off to online players, then the game is grindy. Early in you will get enough materials with maybe a few hunts of the same monster. Just make sure you spend time in each hunt collect materials in the world via mining etc.

As you get further, expect to grind monster more as you need 1 more bit of a monster that has a lower drop rate. Part of the addictive nature of the MH Series.

Kuni

I just can't believe they've finally made the move off of 3DS, I really just wanted it on any other system (all of which are better than the Ninty handheld). And that it's a full mainline game. Dreams can come true :) So excited.

Defuser

It can be very grindy or you get to be the lucky bastard in terms of RNG. End game items requires rare parts which has extremely low drop rates.

I just can't believe they've finally made the move off of 3DS, I really just wanted it on any other system (all of which are better than the Ninty handheld). And that it's a full mainline game. Dreams can come true :) So excited.
It doesn't matter where MH ends up on, it could end up on the switch for I care but it long needed a massive overhaul in terms of texture assets and animations which they have been reusing since the PS2 days. At least now they overhaul it so they can reuse it for the next 10 years.

Sayad

As some said, you don't really need to grind much until end game if you want to collect armor sets. For some sort of hard numbers, it's about:

~1 to 3 kills for a piece assuming you know what you need what to break to get it
~10 to 15 per set(5 pieces)

There are rare drops though, so that 15 could get into 20s if the RNG gods detest you. Killing monsters is the game though, so you're killing monsters, to get armor to kill more monsters, if you end up liking it, the grind is just more fun gameplay.

Murkas

As others have mentioned, it can be grindy, especially for the higher tier stuff that requires rare drops. You can be lucky and get all the stuff you need in 2 or 3 hunts, or get screwed by RNG and rack up 10+ hunts.

But if you hunt with other players the grind can be a lot easier, a kill per 10-15 mins.

Kyoufu

Didn't see this get any mention here, at around one minute in, the scene right before the Diablos coming out of the ground, there's a shot with some flying monsters, we hear a scream and the player character looks at the sky, it's hard to see with youtube shitty compression, but Gamersyde's version make it very clear that there's a stealthy/sea-through monster flying in that shot(player character is looking at it too):
vGlwaka.png

It's either a big monster with a stealth ability or the scream effect from one of the small flying monsters(which is weird for a small monster to have that kind of scream)!

That's just a scream. Probably alerting its buddies or something. Ecology and stuff.

Kinsei

Banned
vGlwaka.png

It's a scream effect. The distortion doesn't appear until the scream starts and it follows that monster.

Top Bottom