• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New WWE 2k18 Features: Updated Graphics Engine, New Story, 8 Players on Screen

Hasney

I just had a random thought. If there's new models for this new engine, but the old models are compatible... Is there going to be 'premium' models and some are still using the old models? There's 120 guys on this new roster, they can't do them all in a year I bet....

yeah. we're a year away from tna being ten years old and yukes haven't even come close to those models

even their hyper realistic cena is bad. i'll never give yukes the benefit of the doubt. i'm astonished they're still the ones making these games

Not a personal attack on you here, just thoughts on comments like this I keep seeing. Yukes are the ones still making these games, as people still buy them. They make money, and no doubt they turn over enough profit for no one to really care about overall quality. Things are improving year upon year, although some things then take a step back. The major worry I have with 2K on board is just how much of their crazy microtransaction bullshit will eventualyl seep into the WWE Games.

With the mention that career mode ends up being fought online, I can imagine that this is the year that real life money for VC is finally added to the games. You should be more concerned about 2K than Yukes at this point. You'll have to grind (or pay with real money) to unlock moves and costumes at some point in time - just look at NBA 2K.

Hasney

Not really. It could cost $100,000 to level up your character, but I won't care if the core gameplay isn't utter shite as I won't be locked out of any enjoyment.

I don't understand that at all. You'll still have bought the game and then found content locked behind stupid microtransactions. In NBA 2K it's rather cosmetic, but appearance is half of building your character in WWE games... the other half creating a moveset (moves are locked away in NBA 2K in MyPlayer mode too).

Hasney

You can just flat out create people in NBA too, it's just your specified "myplayer" that has stuff locked out.

But what I mean is, if the game isn't fun to play like the last decade or so, you'll drop it before considering microtransactions.

Well I was discussing and using MyPlayer as an example from the start. They started to limit your career wrestler last year with huge in-game currency purchases you had to make for certain things. I understand that in some regards but it's all leading up to one thing - the interjection of real life money to buy VC.

Again you can say what you want about not enjoying it, but people clearly do as it sells well every year. I'm worried that they'll lap up the microtransactions too, leading to Career Mode being a horrible grind for VC.

Hasney

I'm not sure people do enjoy them when I look at the 2k forums and just people streaming it general (which is the best way to enjoy the games, New Legacy Inc represent.), but buy it due to no alternatives.

Basically, it's the WWE Raw of videogames, which is very appropriate.

I'm not sure people do enjoy them when I look at the 2k forums and just people streaming it general (which is the best way to enjoy the games, New Legacy Inc represent.), but buy it due to no alternatives.

Basically, it's the WWE Raw of videogames, which is very appropriate.
900x900px-LL-c98d698f_what-a-mark-2-o.gif

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Yeah but will the game actually be fun, and not a super boring simulator where your down on the ground for 50% of the match ? Last one i played was 16 and i cant beleieve a ladder match could be so boring

Not a personal attack on you here, just thoughts on comments like this I keep seeing. Yukes are the ones still making these games, as people still buy them. They make money, and no doubt they turn over enough profit for no one to really care about overall quality. Things are improving year upon year, although some things then take a step back. The major worry I have with 2K on board is just how much of their crazy microtransaction bullshit will eventualyl seep into the WWE Games.

With the mention that career mode ends up being fought online, I can imagine that this is the year that real life money for VC is finally added to the games. You should be more concerned about 2K than Yukes at this point. You'll have to grind (or pay with real money) to unlock moves and costumes at some point in time - just look at NBA 2K.
the only reason people buy these games is because there is no real alternative. if there was a legitimate competitor in this space yukes would either *have* to get better or be shown the door. that's never going to happen though so the only real alternative is Fire Pro which, while very cool, will never grab as many people as a polygonal licensed wrestling game

2K is gonna 2K but at this point it doesn't matter. I'm not going to be upset about them ruining an already shitty game with microtransactions

KRyPT

Neo Member
I'd much rather they stripped back on features and modes to instead focus on the core gameplay and overall presentation.

I almost bought the PC version of WWE 2K17 for $12.49...

:(

It's been a long time since I last bought a wrestling game. I know Fire Pro is coming next week and I'm going day one of Early Access for that but I wish we had a good, modern 3D wrestling game too.

I love that they're continuing the THQ tradition of selling features that were in previous games as something brand new.

I almost bought the PC version of WWE 2K17 for $12.49...

:(

It's been a long time since I last bought a wrestling game. I know Fire Pro is coming next week and I'm going day one of Early Access for that but I wish we had a good, modern 3D wrestling game too.

I love that they're continuing the THQ tradition of selling features that were in previous games as something brand new.
I think you can find plenty of entertainment for that price. I got my moneys worth at 20.

Hasney

If that's the only downgrade, personally I think it's acceptable to have a handheld version.

It won't be. Weird how they said "Will have all the features of the current versions" but already backpedal.

Well not weird, but more expected of Yukes/2k

It won't be. Weird how they said "Will have all the features of the current versions" but already backpedal.

Well not weird, but more expected of Yukes/2k

I expect the normal graphics downgrade and can accept 6 wrestlers instead of 8 for portable. With the difference in power it seems reasonable, but if they start missing major modes and stuff, then I'd have an issue. We also need to remember that they probably didn't get a full development cycle either.

Edit: I'm still waiting to see gameplay though.

The Ummah

Banned
Six players on the Switch will hopefully be online also.

I'm not an owner at the moment (trying to wait for deals around Black Friday), but that would get me to double dip with the PS4. I have to imagine other shortcuts were taken to keep the framerate up with six players on screen.

Still not there quite yet, need to see some gameplay footage. That is coming soon though, so hopefully they have made enough advances this year to warrant a purchase. I could sure go for a new wrestling game, and I'm waiting on the Fire Pro PS4 release at the moment.

Top Bottom