• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian's new RPG is being published by Take-Two's new label Private Division

_Aaron_

Take-Two has announced a new publishing label called Private Division focused on partnering with independent teams. One of these teams is Obsidian Entertainment, which means the big new RPG in development there, the game occupying most of the studio when we visited in August, is this Private Division game.

Another of the teams signed to the label is Patrice Desilets' Panache Digital with its ape evolution action game Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey. The other games are Project Wight from David Goldfarb's new Swedish studio The Outsiders, and an unannounced sci-fi shooter from Halo co-creator Marcus Lehto and new Seattle studio V1 Interactive. Private Division is also the publisher for Kerbal Space Program.

This is the Obsidian RPG project that is being led by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky. For those who aren't aware Cain and Boyarsky are two of key creators of the Fallout and founded Troika Games (Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura and Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines).

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ished-by-take-twos-new-label-private-division

Trailer from the new label: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OPoHP9PJeU

Chexr

Oh geez, this game is gonna be full of microtransactions now, isn't it?

If they aren't overbearing and detrimental to the game experience then who cares. You aren't being forced to buy them. There is so little announced about this game why would you even start to think about something like that?

_Aaron_

Oh geez, this game is gonna be full of microtransactions now, isn't it?

Doubt it.

Read Game Informer's write up: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...es-new-publishing-label-private-division.aspx

Take-Two aren't interfering with the creative vision of these developers. The developers retain all ownership of their IP. Take Two are just funding and publishing projects from small/mid-sized teams of experienced devs which they think have promise.

It's a different situation than Take Two's own AAA IP.

Ubername

Banned
Doubt it.

Read Game Informer's write up: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...es-new-publishing-label-private-division.aspx

Take-Two aren't interfering with the creative vision of these developers. The developers retain all ownership of their IP. Take Two are just funding and publishing projects from small/mid-sized teams of experienced devs which they think have promise.

It's a different situation than Take Two's own AAA IP.

But they're still funding it, right? So the devs probably aren't in any position to be making any decisions about the design of the game.

NoKisum

If they aren't overbearing and detrimental to the game experience then who cares. You aren't being forced to buy them. There is so little announced about this game why would you even start to think about something like that?

There was a story about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided stating that Square Enix was completely hands off on the game until I believe the last month (or few weeks?) when SE ordered the dev team to force in microtransactions at the last minute, making the game balance broken.

With Take-Two overseeing the game, and their recent statement saying that they want all their games to be riddled with microtransactions, it's difficult to not assume the game won't have any just because "Oh it's Obsidian, they're the good guys."

Obsidian could very easily be anti-MTs, but the guys upstairs giving them their paychecks could at any moment say otherwise.

Valdega

There was a story about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided stating that Square Enix was completely hands off on the game until I believe the last month (or few weeks?) when SE ordered the dev team to force in microtransactions at the last minute, making the game balance broken.

The microtransactions in DE:MD had nothing to do with the main story campaign and thus didn't affect balance at all. They were exclusively for the completely optional Breach mode that nobody cared about.

Even in cases where microtransactions can affect balance, it only really matters if it's a competitive game or a paywall blocking progression. Shadow of War has microtransactions but you can still easily get 100% completion without buying anything. Same with the Assassin's Creed games.

As with all things, it's a matter of implementation. Microtransactions are fine if they are genuinely optional and don't have any meaningful impact on the game experience. With publishers focusing on games-as-a-service and ditching single-player in favor of multiplayer, I can tolerate harmless microtransactions if they mean quality single-player games still get made.

Rick1o1

I'm not worried about microtransactions because I think they're smart enough to realize that this isn't the audience for it. Sports games or Star Wars games with a big casual audience yeah ok, but these games are for hardcore audiences. It would be a death sentence for these games to implement it.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Finally! TTWO has great management suits, so this could prove to be a fruitful endeavour. Also, Leonard Boyarsky and Tim Cain together =>Aaaaahhh.

MADGAME

Interested in learning more but expecting absurdly insulting grindwalls that encourage players to spend additional money to bypass.

drotahorror

The microtransactions in DE:MD had nothing to do with the main story campaign and thus didn't affect balance at all. They were exclusively for the completely optional Breach mode that nobody cared about.

Can't remember what they're called but if you preordered you got something that gave you a skill point. Those things that gave skill points were also able to be bought with real money if i recall.

Praxis.

Labadal

Private Division responded to a tweet about this. They said that they don't require any of these tgames to have any microtransactions.

_Aaron_

Didn't they kickstarter it? I don't know how much additional funding they need.

Obsidian used Kickstarter for Pillars of Eternity and Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.

This is completely different project being worked on by a different and larger team at Obsidian.

any footage of the game? i honestly can't stand trailers with devs talking abstract nonsense about how they make games just show the freaking game!

Top Bottom