• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Egypt Terror Attack: 184 dead

llien

For the context: followers of Sufism , which is considered to be heresy by IS and other jihadists, regularly gathered at the mosque .

oliander

What a travesty. That's been business as usual for Egypt since they overthrew the militant Islamist regime. They have very, very long memories when it comes to losing territory.

Blood Borne

I heard the body count is now 235. TWO HUNDRED AND THIRTY FIVE PEOPLE DEAD.

Seriously, how does one combat this whole terrorism thing or we just to accept it?

Couldn't even finish my food after I saw the news.

Breakage

I heard the body count is now 235. TWO HUNDRED AND THIRTY FIVE PEOPLE DEAD.

Seriously, how does one combat this whole terrorism thing or we just to accept it?

Couldn't even finish my food after I saw the news.
I think it's just a bunch of numbers for a lot of people these days.

What I find a bit weird/sad: I just saw a report about the safety at this year's Christmas fairs in Germany - lots of barricades everywhere, high police presence. Makes me question how true it is when people claim 'we mustn't live in fear of those terrorists'. We pretty much already do. Not that I can offer a better solution, mind you.

Breakage

What I find a bit weird/sad: I just saw a report about the safety at this year's Christmas fairs in Germany - lots of barricades everywhere, high police presence. Makes me question how true it is when people claim 'we mustn't live in fear of those terrorists'. We pretty much already do. Not that I can offer a better solution, mind you.
Yeah I agree. People are pretending that "nothing has changed". Those concrete bollards and armed police are a constant reminder that there are people out there who want to bring death and destruction at Christmas. Those things weren't there a decade ago. These guys don't care who they kill or whether they die in process; that's what makes it so chilling. I'll be surprised if 2017 passes without a major attack on European soil.

Blood Borne

Yeah I agree. People are pretending that "nothing has changed". Those concrete bollards and armed police are a constant reminder that there are people out there who want to bring death and destruction at Christmas. Those things weren't there a decade ago. These guys don't care who they kill or whether they die in process; that's what makes it so chilling. I'll be surprised if 2017 passes without a major attack on European soil.

So true. My cousin keeps going back and forth if he should have his honeymoon in Paris. He wouldn't have had such contemplation a decade ago.

Yet people keep living in denial.

mario_O

So does ISIS hate any Muslim group that’s not Sunni?

ISIS are Sunnies. A radical form called wahabism/salafism that comes from Saudi Arabia. They hate everything else. Although I believe all these terror attacks have nothing to do with religion but political goals from obscure forces.

Septy

do the tactics of ISIS differ from those, say of the IRA?

The IRA or ETA would typically call in a warning if a civilian target was attacked. The idea of Northern Irish terrorists wasnt to maximise civilian casualties, infact when large numbers of civilians were killed, such as at Omagh, it was counter-productive.

ISIS and similar groups aim to maximise casualties.

golfham

I was really startled by this. In Egypt, these terror attacks are usually targeted at Coptic Christians. I don’t recall any attacks on Muslims before this. The Sinai is becoming a hell hole

do the tactics of ISIS differ from those, say of the IRA?
Yes, obviously.

golfham

Scary...I actually wanted to visit Egypt while I was here in Europe....anyone know if it's safe in the tourist areas?
Egypt is very safe, but not the Sinai. Cairo and Alexandria are super safe though. The Sinai has been a major breeding ground for ISIS militants.

Breakage

So true. My cousin keeps going back and forth if he should have his honeymoon in Paris. He wouldn't have had such contemplation a decade ago.

Yet people keep living in denial.
Yeah, today here in London there was an incident that was initially thought to be a terror attack. Listening to eyewitness accounts on the radio, I heard that people were screaming, crying, running, stepping on people, jumping over counters - just absolute mayhem over what turned out to be nothing. And yet these people will be the first to say they are not afraid and nothing has changed. It's just self denial.

Dude Abides

Banned
Yeah, today here in London there was an incident that was initially thought to be a terror attack. Listening to eyewitness accounts on the radio, I heard that people were screaming, crying, running, stepping on people, jumping over counters - just absolute mayhem over what turned out to be nothing. And yet these people will be the first to say they are not afraid and nothing has changed. It's just self denial.

You actually have no idea what a bunch of people you’ve never met would say.

Tevious

Scary...I actually wanted to visit Egypt while I was here in Europe....anyone know if it's safe in the tourist areas?

I wouldn't recommend it. I went there a couple years back because it actually made my British Airlines flights cheaper by hundreds of dollars and I still kind of regretted it. Couldn't enjoy myself at all in Egypt. Everyone is trying to rip you off every damn step you take. The tourist locations are probably safe if you still decide to go, but getting to them may not be depending on your method of transportation.

Breakage

You actually have no idea what a bunch of people you’ve never met would say.
A lot of people running would be the first to declare that they aren't afraid; that terrorism hasn't changed anything. It's a common view encapsulated by that "Keep calm and carry on" bullshit.

Edit: death toll now stands at 305.

-Minsc-

I'll have to be honest, it's hard for me to really feel anything over it. There's just such a disconnect. All I can really do is acknowledge that it's not a good event.

Top Bottom