• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have u ever asked a question at a q&a or AMA or anything like that

Ryaaan14

Banned
I don't think I've ever asked anyone important anything before but I'm rly curious if any of u have a good story about somethin u asked

Maybe it was good, maybe it was rly stupid. Would be extra cool if u linked it too

Ryaaan14

Banned
If anyone wants to ask me something right now I'm standing by with answers

YxbxdJ.gif

I've been to BBC Question Time. I never got picked to ask a question, but I did take part in the debate. It was a pretty cool experience.

Glass Rebel

I have and it was kind of a shitty experience.

Last year I was at the Locarno Film Festival and we watched "Where Is Rocky II?" by Pierre Bismuth, one of the authors of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It's this experimental movie that uses unscripted, documentary-like footage edited in such a way to make it appear as if it's actually a scripted film (he calls it "fake fiction"). After the screening Bismuth himself came on stage and was ready to answer questions but the equipment was kinda shitty and I think he was in a bit of a crabby mood as well. I asked him how difficult it was to plan the filming of the telephone conversations between the US and the UK, if the phone conversations actually took place or if they just faked them. I don't know what it was exactly, maybe the language barrier, maybe the microphone, maybe he saw the question as rude but he got very defensive and loud and basically didn't answer my question at all.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I have and it was kind of a shitty experience.

Last year I was at the Locarno Film Festival and we watched "Where Is Rocky II?" by Pierre Bismuth, one of the authors of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It's this experimental movie that uses unscripted, documentary-like footage edited in such a way to make it appear as if it's actually a scripted film (he calls it "fake fiction"). After the screening Bismuth himself came on stage and was ready to answer questions but the equipment was kinda shitty and I think he was in a bit of a crabby mood as well. I asked him how difficult it was to plan the filming of the telephone conversations between the US and the UK, if the phone conversations actually took place or if they just faked them. I don't know what it was exactly, maybe the language barrier, maybe the microphone, maybe he saw the question as rude but he got very defensive and loud and basically didn't answer my question at all.

Any video?

"Yes. Because we loved each other."

They divorced like a year later.

That is rough lmao

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
AMA as in Reddit? If so, I didn't really ask anything, I just made a self deprecating comment in Bill Murray's AMA and he replied back. Like 2 years later Reddit sent me a PM asking if I wanted a free copy of this thing
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0692582266/?tag=neogaf0e-20

since they used my comment in it. They sent me two copies which are amazing for lifting up my monitors. Thanks, Bill!

Plenty of times. It just builds your confidence. Nearly every film screening I've gone to where there's a Q&A, I've asked a question on the mic. Charlie Brooker, David Cronenberg, Todd Solondz, Julia Ducournau, Jeff Nichols, Edgar Wright, Ben Wheatley, Naji Abu Nowar, David Robert Mitchell, and more indie filmmakers. The only of my fave directors I haven't asked a question are Christopher Nolan, Yorgos Lanthimos, and Lav Diaz, one day maybe! It's also cool when the filmmakers praise your question and knowledge :D

I think there's just one time where I've been filmed asking a question, and it was from EGX (UK gaming convention).

Einchy

I'm pretty sure that if I tried to ask a question during a panel, I'd be one of those guys that just rumbles on and no one really knows what I asked, so they just say something and then end it with "I hope that answers your question".1

Sadly we never found out if Halo 5 would have multiplayer.

Ryaaan14

Banned
AMA as in Reddit? If so, I didn't really ask anything, I just made a self deprecating comment in Bill Murray's AMA and he replied back. Like 2 years later Reddit sent me a PM asking if I wanted a free copy of this thing
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0692582266/?tag=neogaf0e-20

since they used my comment in it. They sent me two copies which are amazing for lifting up my monitors. Thanks, Bill!

What did u say? Cmon u can't do us like that

Einchy

What did u say? Cmon u can't do us like that

FgWjbha.png

Usually I find IAMAs once they're over, but this was the first time I saw a recent one, but by the time I made that comment there were already, like, 2k replies to it. I dunno how he even found that comment.

Ryaaan14

Banned
FgWjbha.png

Usually I find IAMAs once they're over, but this was the first time I saw a recent one, but by the time I made that comment there were already, like, 2k replies to it. I dunno how he even found that comment.

Fuck. That sux. At least he spoke to u tho

Xero

Asked some questions to some of the head guys at privateer press the makers of warmachine during lock n load this year.

EYEL1NER

Nick 13 announced via the Tiger Army newsletter that he was going to do an AMA via Twitter a few years back. I hopped on before it started and waited eagerly. I read some answers to questions he was being asked once it started, commented on a few things, and then asked my question. It was pretty simple, I was just wondering what his dream project through all of history would be, since he was working on his second solo country album at the time (I had been imagining what him and Patsy Cline could have done together). He didn't answer though :(

liquidtmd

Banned
I was at an Evening with Tony Robinson of Blackadder / Time Team fame years back.

It was in Newcastle and wasn't very full, but it made it a great casual atmosphere - quite intimate. When a Q&A was opened to the audience, the bulk was centered about Blackadder / TT and Maid Marion. Spirits were fun. I got a question and asked 'What was it like working with James Cameron' when he collaborated with him on a Titanic documentary.

His demeanour changed somewhat from being carefree and candid to very...he responded basically he was a 'driven, non nonsense kinda guy' but his tone and words struck me that actually working with him was a pain in the ass. He quickly got away from Cameron himself and talked a little about the doc which overall he seemed to like.

Then he ended the q and a, did a little more of the show then the night ended lol

Metalmarc

Yeah i have asked and had a few answers online from celebs from twitter and reddit amas, wouldnt have the guts to do it live in person at a Q&A though, i like the semi anonymity online, and so if they celeb chooses to read & answer they can or not it's up to them, whereas in real life if u ask in front of a audience whose focus is on you and they dont wanna answer its more embarrassing i feel.

SugarDave

Went to see Limmy (Scottish comedian) recently and wanted to ask him why his old video of him killing prostitutes in GTA IV had been made private, the Q&A ended just as I finally worked up the courage to do so and raised my hand.

Fortunately, I asked him at the book signing afterwards and he seemed tickled that I remembered the video.

Grug

I thanked Terry Funk for his words and for what he has put his body through.

It's still real to me damnit.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Went to see Limmy (Scottish comedian) recently and wanted to ask him why his old video of him killing prostitutes in GTA IV had been made private, the Q&A ended just as I finally worked up the courage to do so and raised my hand.

Fortunately, I asked him at the book signing afterwards and he seemed tickled that I remembered the video.

I only discovered Limmy about a year ago. Genuine moments of dark comic genius. Jacqueline McCafferty is some dark amazing shit. Also Dee Dee gambling on a bus ride to Yoker. I always wanted to do the same thing in Edinburgh to Davidson Mains.

Harmen

I did for some lesser known artists of which I am a fan, I never got answered :(

Makes me a bit salty because many AMA's tend to be littered with questions that have been asked in interviews a million times before, which are like three seconds of googling away.

I've been to the Game Developers Conference a few times. After talks they always have a Q&A if there's time. It was pretty awesome to be able to ask someone who's worked on a game you really enjoy about a certain aspect of it.

It can be a little much in that situation though. If it's a very popular talk, there will be a lot of people you'll be standing up in front of while asking your question.

Servbot24

Banned
Sure, plenty of times. For example at an art conference I asked Guerilla Games about their design pipeline. They told me some details about it. It's not something to be nervous about or anything like that.

sn00zer

I asked Gabe Newell why he thought people found value in digital cosmetics....he was not a fan of the question. This was way back though when hats were taking off.

I was MySpace friends with members of Horse the Band and talked to them in person before their shows and I used to ask them questions all the time.

Got incite into their inspirations, favorite songs they've released and from other artists etc.

I asked Stan Lee a question in a Q&A on Mashable. I asked him why he continues to do what he does, despite his age and success. He said he does it because he loves doing it. Predictable response, but it was cool to see in print.

Oozer3993

Pop star JoJo answered a question of mine on Twitter. I asked her if the video for her song "The Other Chick" would ever be released. She said no and that the song had never been her choice for a single.

In high school, Avi Arad came and gave a talk at my school (this was around the time of Spiderman 2) and a friend of mine asked him who would win in a fight, Superman or Wolverine. He gave a legitimate, well thought out answer. Then a teacher came over and said, "no more questions like that."

I asked Batman movie executive producer Michael Ulsan if he thought Batman is mentally ill at a comic book con panel once. Got an interesting response. But I should have asked him why there is such a lust to make Batman kill in Hollywood. He's in a much better position to answer that one.

Top Bottom