• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

apparent terror attack happening where i just left, hands shaking

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In these cases there is always at least one witness who can swear he or she heard Allah Akbar. Might be the shock, might be hearing what you're expecting to hear, but this was confirmed to be true very few times. Even the ISIS linked terrorist don't seem to do it.

artsi

You are hearing what you want to hear.

I said I might be wrong, don't assume that I want them to be islamic terrorists because I hear one thing.
Doesn't matter to me who the lunatic is, people are dead and it's sick.

apparent terror attack happening in Turku Finland near the bus station where i just left

my hands are trembling, this is too much... never thought anyone would strike here

knife men running around according to witnesses, shots heard.

fuck fuck fuck so many friends live here, and i work in the hospital where the victims go.. oh man this hits WAY too close, i dont wanna panic but im trembling.

i survived a near death ICU experience 2 years ago, i cant deal with shit like this when it hits the same continent, right next to me is just surreal

help me out gaf :/ i hope im overreacting and the news is bogus but i doubt it

Hang in there! This is a shock because you were unwillingly put in a very dangerous situation, but you are safe now. Try to calm down, ,things will be okay.

kAmui-

Also, I think it's pretty fucking grotesque that there's a Finland 100-banner there in the press conference. This is the 100th year of Finnish independence so they(we) are celebrating it by putting those everywhere, but I don't think this sould be the place.

apparent terror attack happening in Turku Finland near the bus station where i just left

my hands are trembling, this is too much... never thought anyone would strike here

knife men running around according to witnesses, shots heard.

fuck fuck fuck so many friends live here, and i work in the hospital where the victims go.. oh man this hits WAY too close, i dont wanna panic but im trembling.

i survived a near death ICU experience 2 years ago, i cant deal with shit like this when it hits the same continent, right next to me is just surreal

help me out gaf :/ i hope im overreacting and the news is bogus but i doubt it

Hey OP, glad to see you're safe but sadly it's not bogus (I know I'm late here)

You're not overreacting, when there's perceived danger, follow your gut reaction.

Chittagong

Gold Member
There is a video from the scene where you can hear a man shouting, I'm not saying with 100% certainty but to me it sounds much like allahu akbar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=001LRtu7ND8

No gore in this or anything, just people running on the street.

I am Finnish, that's pretty clearly "...pois! Varo! Varokaa!" ("...away! Watch out! Watch out!")

Doesn't mean the attacker didn't yell something else, but this video didn't seem to capture it.

Tacitus_

16.02 alert about the attack, 16.05 perp caught and after that police took some precautions, but no suspicion of further danger

Pretty fast action.

Nabbis

Also, I think it's pretty fucking grotesque that there's a Finland 100-banner there in the press conference. This is the 100th year of Finnish independence so they(we) are celebrating it by putting those everywhere, but I don't think this sould be the place.

Yeah, at the best it's kinda corny and at worst would put forth even more of that nationalistic frenzy the country seems to have these days.

GCX

Also, I think it's pretty fucking grotesque that there's a Finland 100-banner there in the press conference. This is the 100th year of Finnish independence so they(we) are celebrating it by putting those everywhere, but I don't think this would be the place.
It was probably the only background banner available with the time had to put a press conference together at a train station.

Tacitus_

Yeah, at the best it's kinda corny and at worst would put forth even more of that nationalistic frenzy the country seems to have these days.

They said something about being in the police academy (or whatever the correct translation is). The whole thing was set up haphazardly - the banner being there, the mics weren't properly wired and the cameras weren't set up before they started the transmission. I think they were more concerned about time than looking proper.

astroturfing, you fucking get to your house, your parents house, you lock the doors, close the windows, and stay safe. Get in touch with friends and loved ones and let them know you're okay and make sure they are too.

Stay safe brother. GAF is with you.

IMO it's terrorism whether it was Islamic or not.
It's not terrorism if it was just some random loon with brains gone haywire. Let's wait for more info

Definately chilling considering it's a knife attack. At that point the attacker is not even attempting to remove himself from the situation.

Airola

16.02 alert about the attack, 16.05 perp caught and after that police took some precautions, but no suspicion of further danger

Pretty fast action.

Yeah!
And shot in the leg too. Managed to stop someone with one single shot to the leg. American police could learn a lot from the Finnish police.

kAmui-

Pretty fast action.

If this really is the case that's pretty amazing. Caught in 3 minutes and didn't even shoot to kill (or didn't kill at the minimum).Good job by the police.

Edit: Just read that it was an error and the perp was caught 16.20.

Tacitus_

If this really is the case that's pretty amazing. Caught in 3 minutes and didn't even shoot to kill (or didn't kill at the minimum).Good job by the police.

It's really rare for our police to kill someone. They go for a disabling shot if they can. In the press conference they even said that it took a single shot unless I misheard it somehow.

It's not terrorism if it was just some random loon with brains gone haywire. Let's wait for more info

Definately chilling considering it's a knife attack. At that point the attacker is not even attempting to remove himself from the situation.

I'm starting to hate that distinction. If you drive over people in the middle of the street because you are mentally ill/hear voices/whatever, to me you are still a terrorist. That happened just one or two weeks ago in Helsinki.

Now if you believe God is telling you to kill others, to me that's a double dose of being mentally ill.

Tovarisc

Yeah!
And shot in the leg too. Managed to stop someone with one single shot to the leg. American police could learn a lot from the Finnish police.

In Finland police training is higher level education and you need meet quite strict requirements to even qualify for basic courses. Quality and amount of training they get is nuts, in good way.

Aprehended by shot to a leg, pretty professional and cool headed action from the finnish police.

Knowing our police force even this use of firearm will be thoroughly investigated and looked if there were other less severe options in situation.

Inotti

I left Turku central like just before this happened and saw police cars on my way home. Then I had no idea what had happened. I called my mom later and she and my 8 year old nephew where there the whole time. They were in movie theatre and apparently movie theatre locked doors to keep everyone safe. I'm just so relieved that nothing happened to them or to me. I feel so disgusted and anxious and scared at the same time. My mom has alot moving problems and she can only walk really slowly and needs crutches. I had a terrible thought that she wouldn't even be able to run away from possible attacker... ;_;

Budi

Wow, I'm a Finn and just got to know about this from this thread. Still need to check with few people I know from Turku.

I'm starting to hate that distinction. If you drive over people in the middle of the street because you are mentally ill/hear voices/whatever, to me you are still a terrorist. That happened just one or two weeks ago in Helsinki.

Now if you believe God is telling you to kill others, to me that's a double dose of being mentally ill.
If a crazy person kills people for no apparent reason that to me is not terrorism.

If a crazy person kills immigrants because of his political views (or a situation like with Breivik) that is terrorism.

If a crazy person kills people because he believes his god wants him to strike at western society and values that is terrorism.

I have no idea who the attacker is or why he did it. Little early to say it's terrorism. Terrorism to me has some larger goal to push via fear other than just plain killing people.

No, terrorism has aims, plans, motives. There is a philosophy behind it, political or ideological struggle or action.

A domestic assault, or a mental breakdown, mental illness, hooliganism etc none of these are terrorism.

It's an ideological difference.

Astro, don't spend time alone if you still feel shaken by this. Spending time with family / friends / loved ones is the quickest way to calm yourself.

Happy you're safe and sound.

i feel like posting again...

attack happened at about 16:00, i was where it happened at 15:10..

it happened literally mere meters from where i last lived a couple years ago, right next to my old apartment. to think, if i hadnt moved i would have looked at a terror attack happening right outside my window, in Turku where nothing ever happens.. i would have heard all the screams and everything. sickening thought. and i wouldnt have been able to do anything, just watch in horror.. ugh :/

crazily enough the perpetrator is being treated at the hospital i work at, and if he needs more than a day or two of treatment, its about a 50/50 chance that i will be face to face with him at some point next week (my job is to transport patients to CTs, MRIs etc, i go to the trauma ward all the time where he is likely being treated). unreal to think about it. what will i say to him? i cannot believe that im suddenly in a situation where i seriously have to think about how to interact with a goddamn terrorist who perpetrated an attack i missed by minutes! un-fucking-real.

also some of the victims are in the ICU that i am a bit too intimate with, as i was treated there for severe sepsis over 11 days and it was extremely traumatic which left me suffering from some post-traumatic stress (which can often make people more sensitive to shocking stuff, like terror attacks). it's beyond awful to think about the victims lying in the ICU right now knowing exactly how terrifying it is :( i am glad knowing the staff are SUPER professional though and are doing their absolute best. i mean they saved my life too, i wouldnt be here posting if it wasnt for them.

so yeah i'm very likely to see some of the victims and possibly the terrorist next week, and lots of my co-workers who were in the ER when the victims came in probably have some stories to tell... next week is going to be something else :O i dont know how prepared i am on monday morning. all i know is that if and when i interact with the victims i will try my best to make their hospital stay bareable. i'm pretty good with patients most of the time, so i'm confident i can do a little bit of good even though i don't take part in actually treating them.

i know this is a selfish post/thread, focusing just on myself basically, but i needed to vent and pour my feelings out... thanks GAF. been a shocking experience, but im alright now. my panic subsided fairly fast and now im mostly just sad and angry which i guess is normal.

Trouble

Banned
astroturfing, you don't need to talk to him, or even acknowledge his existence if you don't want to. He has lost the right to be granted the normal respect that you would give to anyone else.

astroturfing, you don't need to talk to him, or even acknowledge his existence if you don't want to. He has lost the right to be granted the normal respect that you would give to anyone else.

i guess. im worried how i'll react myself, i might just puke in my mouth if im in the same room with him, or if i actually have to help him get a glass of water or something.. i might have to storm out in a rage to gather my thoughts.

me and my gf walk around the city center all the time, he might have got us... god fucking damnit.

im still not sure if i know any of the victims, its a fairly small city.. there might still be some shocking news to come for me.

Astro, don't spend time alone if you still feel shaken by this. Spending time with family / friends / loved ones is the quickest way to calm yourself.

Happy you're safe and sound.

yea i literally went to a wedding straight from the attack zone. (well i did take a shower in between heh).

craziest contrast i've ever experienced or likely ever will. it was pretty hard to act normal but i tried my best..

Chittagong

Gold Member
Sorry to hear what you have gone through and what's ahead. If it's of any comfort, he was shot in the cock, so there's that. I'd like to think it wasn't a mistake.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
What's wrong with it? I get the pic of him lying in the ambulance. There's some blood in the pic so I didn't want to post it here.

Laiskotteleva matu can be roughly translated as "lazy country invader". The derogatory term MATU is used by racists usually when talking about immigrants.

zon

Laiskotteleva matu can be roughly translated as "lazy country invader". The derogatory term MATU is used by racists usually when talking about immigrants.

I see, I don't speak finnish so I had no idea what the words meant. I changed the name and link.

Top Bottom