• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One reversals haven't hurt us; "we're in an enviable position"

How can it be right that a $500 machine requires subscription payouts to do the things the $400 machine does for free? F2P games behind a paywall. YouTube behind a paywall. Netflix behind a paywall. Goddamn browser behind a paywall.

a good chunk of those are useless or locked for europeans anyway and then they shit on us with that tier 2 bullshit. yeah, enviable position.

I find it hard as a consumer and a gamer to relate to Microsoft's PR statements at any level. Don't get me wrong, I hate PR talk in general but their general messaging is false or misleading (due to misinformation between spokespersons), arrogant, obtuse and condescending.

It's nearly the same type of attitude that Sony displayed which kept me from purchasing a Playstation 3 for many years.

Haunted

a1Q49Bb.gif

Don't buy the XB1.

Hubris is never a good thing, and I'm seeing a LOT of hubris from them right now.

It's amazing that a company that had such a huge fiasco last gen (RROD) could have managed to manufacture yet another fiasco for themselves this gen. I know this is a tired old horse, but when MS can draw the ire of fans who were willing to buy multiple consoles due to hardware failure AFTER it had already been "fixed" by the repair center, and AFTER the 3-year 'extended warranty period' expired, then they've really stepped in the proverbial pile in a big way.

There was no "listening to their customers". Had they done that in the weeks after E3 and reversed policies BEFORE preorder numbers came back, maybe we could give them the benifit of the doubt and say "Ok they heard us, they changed their tune, awesome." But the changes didn't come until after sales data started coming back. Everyone knows what they were listening to, and it wasn't their customers (or lack thereof).

Let's just hope the change is permanent. We won't truly know if it is for years to come, but hopefully after 6 months or a year from now when the dust has settled on the launch of these consoles we can all just move on and stop rehasing it at least.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pre drm bullshit I would have guessed me and my dozen or so friends would have gone Xbox one only or at least Xbox first.

Now? None of us plan to ever buy one until this generation is dead and you can get an Xbox one bundle on Craigslist for 50$

Also I don't know a single person who would use any of their tv or split screen bullshit it's too half assed.

If it had a 3tb hdd to be my new DVr? That's the only way to make me care about it tv wise

and ironically it is Sony that is more likely to do something like that. With IPTV deals in the works, PlayTV in Europe and Torne/Nasne in Japan, Sony have supported DVR use cases on PS3 for years already.

In the UK you can get all of the free to air TV stations live over the internet (eg TVcatchup). so you could get the live TV features of Xbox one with a software only solution, you wouldn't need a HDMI passthrough

Tapiozona

Banned
Everyone feels for the plight you have expressed about a gaming forum on a gaming forum. If you are exhausted about defending something or doing something on the internet I would suggest you stop. There are a few more important things in life than defending a position to a bunch of faceless internet know-it-alls. .

I dont post on gaming side and I do not defend Xbox policies either. I simply would like the ability to read about the Xbox without the constant thread shitting.

You obviously didn't read my post at all. I am not defending any position or policy MS has taken and I dont really care about them. Responses like yours are my problem with gaming side. Regular Joes like myself who just want to read about the Xbox and get excited about it can't when every thread derails into stupid Xbox jokes, one liners, thread shitting, and people telling me I NEED to be outraged by oppressive MS.

That is exhausting.

SegaShack

There was no "listening to their customers". Had they done that in the weeks after E3 and reversed policies BEFORE preorder numbers came back, maybe we could give them the benifit of the doubt and say "Ok they heard us, they changed their tune, awesome." But the changes didn't come until after sales data started coming back. Everyone knows what they were listening to, and it wasn't their customers (or lack thereof).

To be fair E3 was June 11 and the used games and online check-ins were reversed on the 19th, only 8 days later. For a company as big as MS that is pretty crazy in my opinion. The Kinect requirement reversal came a lot later though. Strong sales data would be the indication that many were fine with the policies. Listening to customers is listening to money, for any company, and is not a bad thing at all.

I think the most concerning thing of all was them losing their previous userbase, it seemed that so many people were upset that they weren't going to continue buying Microsoft consoles. They spent years earning that fan base and need to ensure that they keep them happy.

I dont post on gaming side and I do not defend Xbox policies either. I simply would like the ability to read about the Xbox without the constant thread shitting.

You obviously didn't read my post at all. I am not defending any position or policy MS has taken and I dont really care about them. Responses like yours are my problem with gaming side. Regular Joes like myself who just want to read about the Xbox and get excited about it can't when every thread derails into stupid Xbox jokes, one liners, thread shitting, and people telling me I NEED to be outraged by oppressive MS.

That is exhausting.

My thoughts exactly. I want to read about news, a product, information about it, hands on demonstrations, reviews, etc. I find it annoying and exhausting to deal with the crap that has been going on recently. It's like a bunch of annoying kids getting in the way of reading actual information.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Every time MS talks about its digitally distribution model, you get the impression they'reclaiming a monopoly on digital distribution; but I actually don't know what Sony's PS4 policy is on digital distribution.

Are we going to be able to get PS4 games through download also?

Top Bottom