• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Why these three?

1) reddit.com/r/GoNets:

Nets hit another level in their despair this year, and have been pretty consistent about it. This has made their sub pretty funny, as they crossed some threshold that takes things from depressing to morbid yet funny

Some highlights:
A.​
F0R8xQm.png

8KiRl30.png

iSHQcIQ.png

B. When they started discussing 90s movies
Fuck Billy King, and fuck this team. If this post gets 420 upvotes, this will become a subreddit dedicated to discussing pre-2000's movies.

C.​

2) reddit.com/r/AtlantaHawks

The Main Guide to that sub

Talks about the 10 game losing streak that led to their subreddit becoming cicada themed, the jokes about the Hawks needing to acquire Rudy Gay (leading to a moment of horror in January when the Millsap trade rumors came around, which at some point mentioned Rudy Gay), Dwight's shoulders.

Basically, it takes the Hawks nature of being such a treadmill team, which will lose twice to the Nets before two of the most ridiculous comebacks against the Cavs (and the strangest games of the season, tbh), that comeback against the Rockets, the empty arena cheering for whatever visiting team has popular players, etc.

Similar to the Nets, at some point the inconsistency and strangeness of the team stopped leading to despair so much as "eh, of course that would be how it happens with this team". In general, they just shitpost alot. The team's official twitter is up there too, although nowhere close to the greatness that are the Kings and Blazers' twitter accounts.

3) reddit.com/r/MkeBucks
For one, the fans and franchise in general seems to have this sort of vibe.

Examples:
The first Bandwagon cam

or the Bucks fans chanting "Soundcloud rapper" to Damian Lillard at the free throw line

or the general popularity of "Bucks in Six"

Bucks subreddit is similar to Hawks one, just tons of shitposting. Here's the guide.

Slogans like "Deer Noises", "Brogdon" (followed by "Brogdon" and "Brogdon", etc.), "Fuck Mike Dunleavy" (2015 series with the Bulls where Dunleavy played dirty against the Bulls, leading to a young Giannis eventually tackling him in game six and getting ejected), etc.

Plus jokes such as the suicide bus, from the Bucks period of freefall is January-February, or the time the mods challenged the other members to make a game thread hit 2000 comments (mostly rap lyrics, iirc) if they wanted the Josh Powell drawing of teammate Miles Plumlee to become a flair (most game threads don't come close)

In general, another shitposting, but probably more supportive of their team, subreddit.

Some pictures/samples:

https://streamable.com/s3bkv

1) reddit.com/r/GoNets:

Nets hit another level in their despair this year, and have been pretty consistent about it. This has made their sub pretty funny, as they crossed some threshold that takes things from depressing to morbid yet funny

Some highlights:
A.​

C.​

2) reddit.com/r/AtlantaHawks

The Main Guide to that sub

Talks about the 10 game losing streak that led to their subreddit becoming cicada themed, the jokes about the Hawks needing to acquire Rudy Gay (leading to a moment of horror in January when the Millsap trade rumors came around, which at some point mentioned Rudy Gay), Dwight's shoulders.

Basically, it takes the Hawks nature of being such a treadmill team, which will lose twice to the Nets before two of the most ridiculous comebacks against the Cavs (and the strangest games of the season, tbh), that comeback against the Rockets, the empty arena cheering for whatever visiting team has popular players, etc.

Similar to the Nets, at some point the inconsistency and strangeness of the team stopped leading to despair so much as "eh, of course that would be how it happens with this team". In general, they just shitpost alot. The team's official twitter is up there too, although nowhere close to the greatness that are the Kings and Blazers' twitter accounts.

3) reddit.com/r/MkeBucks
For one, the fans and franchise in general seems to have this sort of vibe.

Examples:
The first Bandwagon cam

or the Bucks fans chanting "Soundcloud rapper" to Damian Lillard at the free throw line

or the general popularity of "Bucks in Six"

Bucks subreddit is similar to Hawks one, just tons of shitposting. Here's the guide.

Slogans like "Deer Noises", "Brogdon" (followed by "Brogdon" and "Brogdon", etc.), "Fuck Mike Dunleavy" (2015 series with the Bulls where Dunleavy played dirty against the Bulls, leading to a young Giannis eventually tackling him in game six and getting ejected), etc.

Plus jokes such as the suicide bus, from the Bucks period of freefall is January-February, or the time the mods challenged the other members to make a game thread hit 2000 comments (mostly rap lyrics, iirc) if they wanted the Josh Powell drawing of teammate Miles Plumlee to become a flair (most game threads don't come close)

In general, another shitposting, but probably more supportive of their team, subreddit.

Some pictures/samples:

https://streamable.com/s3bkv

Lmao I should really venture into other subreddits.

James Harden becomes the 1st player to have at least 2,000 points, 900 assists, and 600 rebounds in a single season, finishing with 4,358 points.

All alone in the 2000 / 900 / 600 club.

These stats are just as meaningless as Russ averaging a triple double. To wit, Westbrook is in the 2,500 / 800 / 800 club, something which has ALSO never been done. While researching this, I learned that Wilt Chamberlain is the sole member of the 4,000 / 2,000 club (points and rebounds in 61-62 which is more impressive than either Russ or Harden). These don't inherently mean anything; people will knock you for using averages per game, but single season totals are somehow more indicative of performance even though it's the exact same number?

Meier

About time r.e. Hennigan. What a colossal failure that has turned out to be. The Saric thing in particular is killing me especially given how meh Elfrid Payton has turned out.

Tall4Life

The Celtics are gonna upset the world by beating the Warriors in 4 and then we'll draft Fultz and then win the next three consecutive championships and LeBran is gonna get down on his knees and and say to Isaiah "I knew you were always better than me"

The Celtics are gonna upset the world by beating the Warriors in 4 and then we'll draft Fultz and then win the next three consecutive championships and LeBran is gonna get down on his knees and and say to Isaiah "I knew you were always better than me"

This seems like the most likely scenario.

Phil probably shouldn't have said it publicly but I agree with what he was saying for the most part.

The Melo thing? I think he was smart to say it publicly, just like when they said they are going to run the triangle more. They basically need to alienate Melo to the point that he agrees to waive his no-trade. It's the only way to get him out of NY.

The Melo thing? I think he was smart to say it publicly, just like when they said they are going to run the triangle more. They basically need to alienate Melo to the point that he agrees to waive his no-trade. It's the only way to get him out of NY.

That's fair, I just don't think it was as awful as people were making it out to be.

Melo seemed to have no idea Phil felt this way, he could've told him first.

edit: nevermind, it looks like Phil talked to him about this multiple times before

SaintR

Damn, looks like Porzingis skipped his exit meeting with Phil. Very odd of him to do this, kind of out of character from what he's been so far which from all accounts is a well rounded dude who respects his higher ups. For him to take a look at all this and say fuck this ✌🏻 I'm out to Latvia says a lot.

Ian Begley first to report it

https://twitter.com/ianbegley/status/853039574855016448

Top Bottom