• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Business Insider - Here's how to make KFC's 'original' fried chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSweeley

Link: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-...-chicken-food-recipe-kitchen-cook-book-2017-5

May 16, 2017

Colonel Sanders' nephew casually revealed to a reporter a recipe that had been passed down in a family scrapbook.

Could this be KFC's closely guarded secret recipe of 11 herbs and spices? The nephew, Joe Ledington, said it is. He claims his job as a kid was to mix this same recipe in large batches.

Here are the ingredients you'll need:

Chicken parts of your choice
Celery salt
Dried Mustard
White pepper
Garlic salt
Paprika
Ground ginger
Basil
Salt
Thyme
Oregano
Black pepper
Here are the instructions:

Prepare oil in a cast-iron pot to fry. In a bowl, mix 2 cups of flour, 1/3 tbsp of salt, 1 tbsp of black pepper, 1/2 tbsp of thyme, 1/2 tbsp of basil, 1/3 tbsp of oregano, 1 tbsp celery salt, 1 tbsp of dried mustard, 4 tbsp of paprika, 1 tbsp of garlic salt, 1 tbsp of ground ginger, and 1 tbsp of white pepper.

In a separate bowl, add milk and an egg and beat. Mix your chicken into the bowl, and then coat the chicken in the flour & spice mix.

Finally, fry the chicken in the pot for 10 to 15 minutes. Let it cool and then serve.

May 19, 2017 CBS article: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/05...the-secret-ingredients-of-kfcs-fried-chicken/

Why would you do that when you can just buy their chicken and why would you buy their chicken when there's Popeye's?

The quality of the chicken itself is EVERYTHING. Having KFC overseas taught me this. Popeye's would be decent if it was cooked properly and not so damn dry.

akira28

didn't we have this thread ...before? I feel deja vu about this anyway.

the nephew gave away a recepie but the company said they would neither confirm nor deny, etc, etc.

anyway, I make a chook sort of like this in a cast iron pan and it tastes like my grandma's except its a little burnt.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;237433533 said:
His nephew is really careless, it seems like he has disclosed this recipe over and over again in the past few years.

Nice to know I wasn't the only one thinking that I had seen this before

rashbeep

Banned

the nephew gave away a recepie but the company said they would neither confirm nor deny, etc, etc.

anyway, I make a chook sort of like this in a cast iron pan and it tastes like my grandma's except its a little burnt.

i remember this too

Makonero

this is the berenstain universe, this is old news in the (superior) berenstein universe

We don't have Raising Cane's in Chicago where I live now (although I guess they added a couple to the nearby suburbs) so I'm always fiending for it like a madman whenever I get the chance to go to one out of town.

The last time I was there, I bought 64oz of Cane's Sauce and poured it into squeeze bottles I bought on Amazon. It's lasted me for months.

It's good on everything but, man... I miss that chicken.

Soriku

There's a grocery store around my area called Giant and their prepared fried chicken is better than KFC's tbh. Their mac and cheese too. Like significantly so.

Ryaaan14

Banned
When I was in HS I had a buddy named Chris and one day KFC came up and he was like "Haha KFC what does that stand for Colonel Fucks Kids??" And I'm like breh that doesn't even fit the abbreviation and he's like whatever, then "Colonel Fucks Children".

I'm not rly sure why I never forgot that

vlcsnap-855287.png

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The quality of the chicken itself is EVERYTHING. Having KFC overseas taught me this. Popeye's would be decent if it was cooked properly and not so damn dry.

Seriously. I don't know what happened, but I'm shocked that people still praise Popeyes when the quality has fallen so far. From the flour cookies they call biscuits to it's lower quality chicken.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Why would you do that when you can just buy their chicken and why would you buy their chicken when there's Popeye's?

Realtalk. On Monday I was stuck at Atlanta with a long layover and there was a Popeye's. So I grabbed a spicy fried chicken sandwich. It was the second best "meal" I've had in an airport in 30 years of flying. The previous contender was at Rick Bayliss' Chicago spot, Tortas Frontera.

I've had Popeye's before and didn't think much about it, but that spicy fried chicken sandwich was a game changer for me. Absolutely flattened Chik Fil A's equivalent. And I LIKE Chik Fil A's sandwiches.

However, there's a local fried chicken mini chain called Ezell's and you stick their tenders on a good roll with some pickles and lettuce and a dash of mayo and it beats both hands down.

phanphare

Banned
Realtalk. On Monday I was stuck at Atlanta with a long layover and there was a Popeye's. So I grabbed a spicy fried chicken sandwich. It was the second best "meal" I've had in an airport in 30 years of flying. The previous contender was at Rick Bayliss' Chicago spot, Tortas Frontera.

I've had Popeye's before and didn't think much about it, but that spicy fried chicken sandwich was a game changer for me. Absolutely flattened Chik Fil A's equivalent. And I LIKE Chik Fil A's sandwiches.

However, there's a local fried chicken mini chain called Ezell's and you stick their tenders on a good roll with some pickles and lettuce and a dash of mayo and it beats both hands down.

next time get stuck in the Charlotte airport and get blessed by some Bojangles. then go lounge in a rocking chair, log on to the free wifi, and post on NeoGAF about how much better it was than Popeyes.

KFC original recipe is cooked in a pressure fryer though, so I don't think this will taste the same at all.

KFC used older, tougher chicken than any decent chicken joint (or home cook) uses today, which means you had to cook it longer to get it tender, which in turn makes it more dry...unless you cooked it under pressure.

The Colonel just came up with a way to use cheap chicken and have it taste acceptable.

I can make way better fried chicken than KFC in a pan. And I can make it taste just like classic KFC (I've been eating there since the 70s) if I want to, but I usually make Nashville hot chicken.

PiFace

Banned
KFC used older, tougher chicken than any decent chicken joint (or home cook) uses today, which means you had to cook it longer to get it tender, which in turn makes it more dry...unless you cooked it under pressure.

The Colonel just came up with a way to use cheap chicken and have it taste acceptable.

I can make way better fried chicken than KFC in a pan.
And I can make it taste just like classic KFC (I've been eating there since the 70s) if I want to, but I usually make Nashville hot chicken.
Sure.

Deepwater

you can make better chicken than most fast food places just by brining in buttermilk the night before and using some damn spices.

you can make better chicken than most fast food places just by brining in buttermilk the night before and using some damn spices.

Absolutely. And dredge the chicken in flour with spices and baking soda twice, with another dip in buttermilk in between the two dredgings!

And why would you buy Popeye's if there's a Raising Cane's nearby?

Because Raisin Canes sadly doesn't have any spicy options. I think that's the biggest issue I have with it, because the quality of the chicken (and the special sauce) is EXCELLENT, but you pretty much need the sauce to eat it because the chicken has 0 kick to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom