• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter | OT | Complete Global Success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this a couple of days ago. I haven't seen a Resident Evil movie since 2, so I'm not fussed about the continuity fuckery. I enjoyed xXx 3 more. This didn't cross into so-bad-it's-good territory like that film did.

Iain Glen was the best thing about the Final Chapter.

I really can't wait for Paul WS Anderson to fuck up Monster Hunter.

Also, I found this.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Editing of this movie makes it hard to watch. Every action scene has probably three cuts per second.

T.O.P

Banned
Editing of this movie makes it hard to watch. Every action scene has probably three cuts per second.

As bad as the action scenes in Apocalypse? Even in the commentary you can hear Sienna saying that they overdid it with the quick cuts and close ups

Magwik

Banned
As bad as the action scenes in Apocalypse? Even in the commentary you can hear Sienna saying that they overdid it with the quick cuts and close ups

irg55aK.gif

But it is worse than this

zeemumu

This was pretty bad, even by Resident Evil film standards.

I kept asking myself either "Why?" or "How?" every 5 minutes, like how

did Wesker bleed out from a foot amputation despite his powers giving him enough regeneration to the point where he easily regenerated after being shot point blank in the mouth with a shotgun and then riddled with bullets everywhere else in Afterlife?
and why
did they give Wesker such a crappy death? He got decapitated, exploded, and melted all at the same time in the games.
and why
did they help Alice escape from the Red Queen in the Arctic facility if the plan was to kill her anyway?
and why
didn't the laser room use the inescapable net pattern of the laser grid?
and how
did Isaacs managed to reboot and make it a mile above ground to catch that serum before it hit the ground? Even Wesker's super speed isn't that crazy.
and how
did Claire make it a mile above ground with the magic memory box before the facility exploded?
and why
didn't Alice kill Isaac's after she chopped off his hand?
and why
didn't Wesker just shut the door and then wait for them to get to the door before he released the dogs? They'd have nowhere to run because they didn't have the equipment to break through a 10 foot-thick security door.
and why
can Isaac's premonition software predict the odds of everything but his own deranged clone stabbing him or Alice putting a grenade in his pocket?
and why
was it so important that Alice be willing to kill herself with the virus? We already know that she'd risk her own life to save others. She does it all the time. What was the point of lying to her?
and why
didn't they just give her the childhood memories right off the bat? We've seen in the other film that they can implant fake memories in clones. Hell, they already gave a fake Alice fake memories when she was a housewife that one time. There's no reason for the memory loss thing.
and how
did a single kid zombie manage to kill/infect an entire cable car full of people before it reached the other end of wherever the hell they were going? That cable car ride didn't look that long.

And even though they do this in every one of the sequels, I really don't approve of
invalidating the ending cliffhanger of the last film by saying "oh, that injection that Wesker gave you? Nah, that didn't give you back your powers." Also that entire cliffhanger was a trick for no reason. Also every video game character in the film except for Claire is dead. No, you don't get to see what happened.

This movie was ridiculous.

Did they seriously
retcon the second movie or did I miss something. The little girl is supposed to be the one Alice is cloned from? How would the dad not know when he's talking to Alice in 2. Surely he'd know if he was so high up the umbrella chain.

Also was Isaacs always so high up in Umbrella or was this a sudden change? Coz in 3 it seemed like he was just a scientist.

I dont even know anymore. We liked it but yeah, silly.

The little girl from the 2nd movie is a different little girl who disappeared from the plot just like the deaf one from the last movie. The one from the 2nd movie was supposed to essentially be Sherry from the game, but they gave her the last name of a character from a different game as a nod to the fans I guess. Doesn't make much sense. Bottom line is they're both probably dead and had no relevance or importance whatsoever.

The one that the showed in the flashbacks in this movie was the founder's daughter. She took over the company after Wesker and Isaacs killed her dad, then super-aged into an old woman before being put into cryostasis. Alice is a clone of her if she hadn't super-aged, while the Red Queen is what she looked like as a kid.

And yeah, there were apparently 3 Isaacs. There's the one in the 3rd who was just a scientist and got killed by Alice, there's the religious one whose hand got cut off in this one, and then there's the real one who's been asleep this entire and is actually one of the co-owners and also has superpowers because that's a thing that they give you when you get promoted at Umbrella, apparently.

This movie was ridiculous.

Did they seriously
retcon the second movie or did I miss something. The little girl is supposed to be the one Alice is cloned from? How would the dad not know when he's talking to Alice in 2. Surely he'd know if he was so high up the umbrella chain.

Also was Isaacs always so high up in Umbrella or was this a sudden change? Coz in 3 it seemed like he was just a scientist.

I dont even know anymore. We liked it but yeah, silly.

the isaacs from thr previous films were just clones. the og isaacs who was in cryosleep. that one owned half the company

irg55aK.gif

But it is worse than this

It actually is. I felt like most of the time, the camera was focused on something that was not what we actually needed to see. We never got establishing shots of any of the monsters that attacked, they were just these giant blurs with teeth. The film was so dark most of the time, you couldn't tell what was happening with all the cuts. Just a technical disaster.

Movie was goofy fun, though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What am I suppose to see here?

They're using a bazillion cuts to show a guy jumping over a fence.

Taken 3 might be one of the only movies I ever stopped watching because of the editing. The story sucked too, but I was legitimately getting a headache from how the movie was shot. I just turned it off and let the rental expire, right around the spot where they gif takes place in the film.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.

Worse. Way worse. Super difficult to focus on the action.

Vazduh

Jesus what a piece of shit and I enjoy these dumb movies.
How the hell did this get out of the initial draft pages.

fuck this movie.

Haven't watched this yet (I will as soon as I get the chance), but I found funny how Paul W.S. Anderson is bragging in all the interviews about having an additional year to really work on the script and polish it...

Ayy.

Jackpot

Banned
Total garbage.

What really rankles is how it flat out contradicts the events of half the films. Not retcons, contradicts.

Pilgrimzero

Worse. Way worse. Super difficult to focus on the action.

One scene had Alice shooting a monster. She would shoot, cut to the monster, shoot, cut to the monster, etc etc very very rapidly. I thought they were trying to show the monster was dodging the bullets or something with all the rapid gun/monster cuts

One scene had Alice shooting a monster. She would shoot, cut to the monster, shoot, cut to the monster, etc etc very very rapidly. I thought they were trying to show the monster was dodging the bullets or something with all the rapid gun/monster cuts

I counted because of certain reviews making fun of that one scene.
It was like 10 and I even lost count because it just went faster and faster to almost being like a single frame and cut.

T.O.P

Banned
I counted because of certain reviews making fun of that one scene.
It was like 10 and I even lost count because it just went faster and faster to almost being like a single frame and cut.

I have no clue why they would do something like this after how bad Apocalypse looked, Extinction, Afterlife and Retribution just looked so fuckin better than that

I have no clue why they would do something like this after how bad Apocalypse looked, Extinction, Afterlife and Retribution just looked so fuckin better than that

The movie looks terrible compared to literally every other in the series.
After the beginning of the movie and daytime scenes its immediately like a different movie visually.
(daytime had jumpcuts as well but at least you feel oriented)

kc44135

So, how's this movie y'all? Any good? The previous RE movies always fell into two camps for me: "So bad it's good" (first two RE movies), and "just plain bad" (everything else). Which camp does this movie belong too?

So, how's this movie y'all? Any good? The previous RE movies always fell into two camps for me: "So bad it's good" (first two RE movies), and "just plain bad" (everything else). Which camp does this movie belong too?

The only redeeming factor I got was that this is over now.
Even the worst of the earlier movies had a reason or two to be seen.

Ooccoo

This movie is oscar worthy. From the great Milla Jovovich performance to the delightful story and superb after effects, this is the ultimate culmination of Paul Anderson's craft. People who dislike it are not real RE fans and probably enjoyed Xander Cage ALTHOUGH his character is abysmal and nowhere near as fleshed out as Milla. You can tell a lot of love for the franchise went into this movie and that it will be remembered highly in the next few decades.

T.O.P

Banned
Rewatched them all again (before the marathon with my pals)

1>4>5/3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2

I really can't fuckin stand Apocalypse, meanwhile Retribution is growing on me hard

Stll sad to see Berry kinda wasted tho, should've saved the character and just use him in TFC

But still, such a fun flick all around, easily the more videogamey as well

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This was bad, even for a Resident Evil movie. The action is essentially unwatchable because the camera cuts every 1/3 of a second. Even for simple things like Alice starting a car, they use 6 cuts. Sometimes movies do this to cover up poor fight choreography, this does it for...style, I think? Even during the down moments it's just a constant flurry of CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT.

Nothing in the story makes sense.
Retcons, clones, more retcons, more clones, retcons of things that have only been setup in this movie, more clones. And I don't know what the point of giving Alice a time limit was. The movie sets that up like it'll be a big race against time to get to Racoon City, and then immediately slows down to have Alice fight some Zombie Deep standoff battle that actually doesn't matter cause all these no name survivors that get 2 minutes of characterization die anyway. And Alice gets knocked unconscious and wakes up in some weird situation 3 times in the first act of the movie. Oh, race against time. Alice gets knocked out, loses time, fights, lather, rinse, repeat.

And then the big fight at the end is a complete rehash of the fight in the third movie. It's almost exactly the same. Dr Issacs vs Alice in the laser field from the first movie. Except the fight here is less interesting, harder to watch, with a less satisfying ending.

This actually ended up being worse than xXx: The Return of Xander Cage. That movie was boring and stupid most of the time, but at least there were a few set pieces I could sorta follow, mainly with Donnie Yen. With The Final Chapter, I couldn't follow anything happening onscreen and the story retcons itself so much that I didn't care about any of the characters.

Cypher

The reason Resident Evil: The Final Chapter has such chaotic editing is because it was done by Doobie White:

Helping Jovovich sell the intensity of the moment is hyper editing by Doobie White, who worked on “Crank” and “Gamer,” bringing his love for half-second shots to “The Final Chapter.” The cutting here is atrocious, rendering every scene a blur of angles and movement, making it impossible to pick out any overall sense of achievement. And God help you if you’re stuck with the picture’s 3D presentation, which makes the big screen blur a painful sit. Of course, Anderson has every reason to prevent a clear view of the lackluster events in the fifth sequel, but with all the monsters, snarling undead, betrayals, malicious artificial intelligence, armored vehicles, clones, and bombs, it’s amazing that editing would be the deadliest weapon of the effort. Prepare for a headache.

http://www.blu-ray.com/Resident-Evil-The-Final-Chapter/230764/#Review

Shame they went with this hyper-frenetic style for the last installment. All 5 previous movies were at least shot in a sane sense so you can see and grasp what's going on!

Vazduh

The reason Resident Evil: The Final Chapter has such chaotic editing is because it was done by Doobie White:

Sad thing is that Anderson picked Doobie White because they worked together on some car commercials.

In between directing films, Anderson usually does high-profile commercials, like for Volkswagen, DirecTV etc. So, basically, whatever techniques he used in his RE movies, he tried them in commercials first. Apparently, Anderson liked Doobie's work enough to replace his usual editor, Niven Howie. Too bad because despite Afterlife and Retribution being sub-par movies (I'm being kind here), the action was always edited very well and quite easy to follow.

I'm watching The Final Chapter on Friday probably, but I'm not looking forward to those fast cuts already, especially if my local theater opts for the 3D projection :/

judhudson

This movie blew hard chunks, and the sad thing is, I actually enjoyed all the previous ones. I was so let down in the movie, it's just....messy. Bad camerawork / cuts / and conclusion to the story. :/

Grizzlyjin

Please take Advil or something similar with you.

This is solid advice. I averted my eyes a couple times and even went to the concession stand to take a break cause it was just exhausting to watch. I regret not walking out and going into another movie. But I've basically seen everything I plan on seeing, so I stayed.

I'm really curious how Paul Anderson feels about his spin on the franchise in light of RE7, which being a numbered sequel sets the tone for the series. Would've loved the more horror approach that was rumored back when Romero was drafting a script, though I don't think he would've been the right choice. Maybe it's time for a reboot of the live action film series from a producer like James Wan and a young up and coming horror director.

I'm really curious how Paul Anderson feels about his spin on the franchise in light of RE7, which being a numbered sequel sets the tone for the series. Would've loved the more horror approach that was rumored back when Romero was drafting a script, though I don't think he would've been the right choice. Maybe it's time for a reboot of the live action film series from a producer like James Wan and a young up and coming horror director.

TV series is the reboot.(unless development falls through)

SilentRob

Saw it yesterday. I enjoyed it.

I mean, come on, please at least explain why you enjoyed it. I am legitimately curious.

I'd rather have Paul tbh :p

Honestly, James Wan is in such a completely different league than Anderson, it's not even funny^^ There are more creative ideas in that Jason Stathan/The Rock fight at the beginning of FF 7 than in all other RE movies combined, but ESPECIALLY Final Chapter. What is pretty funny though: James Wan is the producer of a new Mortal Kombat movie, apparently.

Lima

The editing lol. The very first fight scene in Washington. I couldn't breathe. That was worse than Taken 3 because that was only 2D. 3D actually made it even harder to see anything during the action scenes here. Also where are the cool pop out effects they used so heavily during Afterlife (will never forget Wesker throwing his glasses at me) and Retribution?

Also why is this looking like such a grey-brown slog. Yeah we get it the world has gone to shit, post apocalyptic and all but damn this looked like some sad shit.

GulAtiCa

I mean, come on, please at least explain why you enjoyed it. I am legitimately curious.

lol. Kinda just was like the other movies. Full of action, zombies and best of all Alice! It kinda reminded me of the 3rd movie actually, which I enjoyed. I really enjoyed the return to the hive. I liked the ending too.

My only real complaint was all the quick edits. Really got annoying. I saw it in 3D and didn't have any issues, but still was annoying.

T.O.P

Banned
Honestly, James Wan is in such a completely different league than Anderson, it's not even funny^^ What IS funny though: James Wan is the producer of a new Mortal Kombat movie, apparently.

Just a personal preference, i haven't found a single Wan's movie entertaining since the first Saw, he makes technically great movies, but they feel shallow as fuck

And this is not me saying that he's worse than Anderson ofc but if i'm talking pure entertainment, i'd rather watch Afterlife for the 20th time than attempt to re-watch Conjuring and Insidious a second time

SilentRob

lol. Kinda just was like the other movies. Full of action, zombies and best of all Alice! It kinda reminded me of the 3rd movie actually, which I enjoyed. I really enjoyed the return to the hive. I liked the ending too.

My only real complaint was all the quick edits. Really got annoying. I saw it in 3D and didn't have any issues, but still was annoying.

Thanks man, I'm not trying to be a dick, I just really like to know what people enjoy about this movie specifically^^

Now, you say that the quick edits got really annoying, but at the same time you liked that it was full of action. Wasn't it problematic for you that the action only consisted of annoying quick edits? Because for me those two points were connected - I couldn't enjoy the action, because I couldn't see any of it.

Just a personal preference, i haven't found a single Wan's movie entertaining since the first Saw, he makes technically great movies, but they feel shallow as fuck

And this is not me saying that he's worse than Anderson ofc but if i'm talking pure entertainment, i'd rather watch Afterlife for the 20th time than attempt to re-watch Conjuring and Insidious a second time

Ah, Gotcha. I think the only movie that's really comparable here is Fast & Furious 7 and that was mainly what I was talking about. I do think Anderson & team could learn a lot about timing and presentation of Jump Scares and general atmosphere from movies like Saw 1 and The Conjuring though.

SRG01

The movie was probably the most intense of all the RE movies, but what was the deal with the cutting? I read on AV club that they changed directors or something, while WS Anderson was the producer??

SilentRob

The movie was probably the most intense of all the RE movies, but what was the deal with the cutting? I read on AV club that they changed directors or something, while WS Anderson was the producer??

Anderson directed this, which is maybe the most baffling thing about this incredible drop in quality. And they didn't really start out THAT high to be honest ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom