• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop using mental illnesses as adjectives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realeza

Banned
Good lord, you all know the ones who do this all the time. Even here you read posts of people saying "I have OCD lol I want my CD's to be scratchless!" or "I'm bipolar! I can't make up my mind lmao". No, you don't. Do you wash your hands compulsively until they bleed? Do you have major depressive episodes that make you have suicidal thoughts?

Recently you read about the dangers of normalizing hate speech, but this is also an issue that few seem to be aware of. To be honest, I was probably doing the same at some point until teachers showed me the frequency and dangers of this phenomenon.

In cases like this, be the killjoy of the party and educate these people.

Thoughts on this, GAF?

Glix

That seems fair. I'm guilty of the OCD one myself.

I will be more sensitive about it going forward.

It kinda sucks when people do this in regards to OCD, but I think it comes from ignorance instead of any sort of malice. This doesn't excuse it per se, but a lot of people don't seem to understand what OCD actually is. It is fucking crippling and makes life as if it's being played in hard mode.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I really don't like hearing people use the term retarded to describe any "dumb" or "stupid" thing. Its so incredible insulting to so many different groups of people.

Also I'm on the spectrum myself and it gets really annoying when anyone who has an awkward side or an uncomfortable moment and uses a term for someone on the spectrum to describe it.

Realeza

Banned
It kinda sucks when people do this in regards to OCD, but I think it comes from ignorance instead of any sort of malice. This doesn't excuse it per se, but a lot of people don't seem to understand what OCD actually is. It is fucking crippling and makes life as if it's being played in hard mode.

That's why awareness of the actual illness needs to be spread. It takes a minute to read a section of the DSM-V and see what the people with these mental conditions have to go through.

Glix

I feel so oppressed by this!

Why can't I say whatever I want to say! Stop judging me! Your OP was so aggressive.

Maybe you should all move back to Crazystan if you don't like it!

That's it, I'm joining a white supremacist group!

I really don't like hearing people use the term retarded to describe any "dumb" or "stupid" thing. Its so incredible insulting to so many different groups of people.

Also I'm on the spectrum myself and it gets really annoying when anyone who has an awkward side or an uncomfortable moment and uses a term for someone on the spectrum to describe it.

This.

Arcia

Banned
This is something I became aware of and started to notice more recently. I do try to stop myself from using those kinds of terms incorrectly, its harder to get other people to stop too. You can try to point out how that language is ignorant and offensive, but some people really hate it when you tell them how to talk lol.

I do my best to be a good person, respect the actual seriousness of mental illness, and not use those terms as lazy descriptors. Doesn't hurt to try to challenge yourself to use a diverse vocabulary and speak more eloquently either!

Sijil

Don't know why but someone using the term OCD or depression lightly or anecdotally never bothered me.

Used to wash my hands 5 to 6 times in a row, flick the light switch on and off repeatedly, take one step back every two steps forwards, avoided the color brown, numerology among a laundry list of OCD ticks. Even had chronic depression a while.

Glix

Genuine question. I was talking to someone about a family friend who is not Downs, but based on his IQ tests was classified as "retarded"

Is there a different word I should be using, or is that word okay in its original context.

Thanks.

Nydius

I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately change will be slow, even with education. As a child of the 80's, I grew up where phrases like "That's retarded!' and mocking hand gestures (usually coupled with a mocking tone of the old McDonald's commercial featuring a Downs Syndrome employee) was considered acceptable. There are far too many people in my age group who still use these phrases even though they should know better by now.

That's why awareness of the actual illness needs to be spread. It takes a minute to read the DSM-V and see what the people with these mental conditions have to go through.

Let's be honest, not a lot of people even know what the DSM is. Even if they did, it would probably take them more than a minute to find a quality referenced version of the DSM-V online and then search for the proper diagnosis. It's a large book. Just sayin'.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Logically, I agree with you. Practically, once something had taken up a new meaning in language it's nearly impossible to stop. Language is a relentless force.

Glix

Logically, I agree with you. Practically, once something had taken up a new meaning in language it's nearly impossible to stop. Language is a relentless force.

Sure. We can't stop everyone from doing it. But I can stop myself from doing it.

I think it's intended as harmless. It's pretty much a way of making themselves feel better about some aspect of their behaviour that bothers them.

It's pretty weird when people use specific conditions like that. You don't hear people use physical afflictions that way like "man, I'm all irritated like scabies"

Glix

I disagree. People should be free to exaggerate to get their point across.

People are free to do whatever they like.

But then they shouldn't get their fragile panties in a bunch when they are judged for it. Especially once its explained to them why its hurtful and offensive.

You can't have it both ways.

I can watch a basketball game and be like "oh man, those guys got raped". And thats okay.

But its also okay if everyone in the room thinks I'm an asshole for it.

You can't do something knowing that it hurts people and then when they knock you for it, claim that you are oppressed. Its disgusting.

I think it's intended as harmless. It's pretty much a way of making themselves feel better about some aspect of their behaviour that bothers them.

I would say 95%+ of the time its INTENDED as harmless. But that is certainly a pretty nonsensical reason to keep doing it if some people are upset and hurt by it, no?

I used to be really bad about saying I'm OC until Gaf woke me on the issue. I've cut it out of use now.

This kind of reminds me of people who used to always say "gay!" in response to anything negative. That one used to burn me.

Gutek

People are free to do whatever they like.

But then they shouldn't get their fragile panties in a bunch when they are judged for it. Especially once its explained to them why its hurtful and offensive.

You can't have it both ways.

I can watch a basketball game and be like "oh man, those guys got raped". And thats okay.

You can't do something knowing that it hurts people and then when they knock you for it, claim that you are oppressed. Its disgusting.

I would say 95%+ of the time its INTENDED as harmless. But that is certainly a pretty nonsensical reason to keep doing it if some people are upset and hurt by it, no?

Who did that?

wamberz1

Agreed, especially on the OCD.

"I'm really organized, it's my OCD haha"

No it fucking isn't and saying that is insulting to people who actually have it.
Yup... people also love to throw around "I feel so ADD." *eye roll*
Oh GOD don't even get me started on this

kvothe

Yeah, the use of actual conditions like OCD or bipolar disorder is annoying and stupid.

But there's been a movement against the use of the word "crazy" lately and I struggle to really believe casual use of the word "crazy" actually affects people's perception of real mental illness.

I honestly feel like some say things like "I'm so OCD!" as an indirect compliment of themselves for being "detail oriented". As if having OCD is a good thing. These people clearly don't understand.

But there's been a movement against the use of the word "crazy" lately and I struggle to really believe casual use of the word "crazy" actually affects people's perception of real mental illness.
I'm still very unsure on where people have landed on using the word "crazy" so I've been playing it safe and cutting it out for now.

The_Kid

I mean it's aggravating but there isn't much that can be done about it.

Last week a coworker asked why my hands looked like they survived a stabbing, and I told him (for probably the second or third time) I had OCD. "Oh I thought you meant you were just anal about organizing your things!"

I mean it's aggravating but there isn't much that can be done about it.

Last week a coworker asked why my hands looked like they survived a stabbing, and I told him (for probably the second or third time) I had OCD. "Oh I thought you meant you were just anal about organizing your things!"
Wowwwwww. Not even sure how one could respond to that.

Glix

Who did that?

Thats the logical conclusion, right?

You said people should be FREE to exaggerate.

Free means no repercussions.

So the logical assumption is that if they are being criticized for it, that would not be okay with you or them They would then be "oppressed" because they weren't "free" to exaggerate.

wamberz1

This is kind of related, but the one I absolutely loath is when (I see this often in groups of guy friends) someone refers to themselves or a close friend as a "midget" simply because they are shorter than average.

Like "oh bob couldnt reach the high cabinet" "thats cause hes such a midget" "hahaha"

Mossybrew

Agree with this. I'm not interested in policing my language based on a theoretical person who might be offended by it, but I'm certainly welcome to an actual person calling me out on something.

I am actually curious why "fucking" hasn't been cracked down on yet, either. Not everything needs to contain a reference to sex. I know rape is far worse, and it's good that we've made strides on that front, but I imagine there's probably a not-insignificant number of people for whom any reference to "fucking" could conjure up unpleasant memories.

I honestly feel like some say things like "I'm so OCD!" as an indirect compliment of themselves for being "detail oriented". As if having OCD is a good thing. These people clearly don't understand.

I'm still very unsure on where people have landed on using the word "crazy" so I've been playing it safe and cutting it out for now.

I'm not sure it's a compliment as much as it is a way to try to compartmentalise and justify something about themselves that bothers them that they don't know how to address.

bluethree

Yup... people also love to throw around "I feel so ADD." *eye roll*

Even better when ADD is used to describe stupid people (ADD doesn't affect the areas of the brain associated with intelligence FFS)

Or when you see a review/post about some dumb action movie or game and it's described as being "made for the ADD crowd"

Yeah, the use of actual conditions like OCD or bipolar disorder is annoying and stupid.

Crazy is probably both far too widespread and far too vague.

It's kind of different from people using named disorders that they've heard of to describe things, usually because of misconceptions of what those things actually entail.

Yeah, this pisses me off too as someone who was suicidal, and continues to dealt with depression. I've been guilty of using OCD in the past, but I've caught myself from doing it for the past few years

I am actually curious why "fucking" hasn't been cracked down on yet, either. Not everything needs to contain a reference to sex. I know rape is far worse, and it's good that we've made strides on that front, but I imagine there's probably a not-insignificant number of people for whom any reference to "fucking" could conjure up unpleasant memories.

It's too ubiquitous - literally fucking everywhere. It's also good for emphasis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom