• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

20. Halloween (John Carpenter, 1978)

halloween-poster-artwork-donald-pleasence-jamie-lee-curtis-pj-soles.jpg

Halloween is a bit of an oddity in that the until the last fifteen or twenty minutes of the film, the pacing remains constant, metered out by the repetition of Carpenter’s excellent soundtrack. It’s all very methodic, almost leasurly, as creeping wide shots slowly bring us to the inexorable fate of Laurie Strode walking across the moonlit street to the house opposite her: a 100 step walk stretched out to dreadful infinity. And for those fifteen minutes that follow, the film is unrelenting madness. But that madness cuts off almost as soon as it begins, ending at its peak terror and denying the audience of any catharsis, or even breathing room, they likely yearn for.

It’s a structure that probably shouldn’t work—I would even forgive most people of considering the film boring their first time around—but it is essential to creating the feeling of an orderinary Halloween night that has been intruded upon by unspeakable evil.

Even the small stakes of the film, localized mostly to two houses on a practically anonymous suburban street, and a victim count far smaller than the typical slasher, serve to heighten the horror. This is a thing that could happen on your peaceful little street, in your safe little neighborhood, and even though neighbors are all around you, you’re really just as isolated as if you were in the desolate settings most horror films place their victims in. at
At least that’s what this film wants you to think, brilliantly including the scene of Laurie’s neighbor’s responding to here desperate screams for help by closing their blinds and turning off the porch light—that illusory beacon of hope that cuts through the blackness of the night that cloaks the monster.

And while Halloween isn’t as terrifying as Black Christmas, the twisted holiday slasher it Carpenter was apparently inspired by, its use of framing and lighting to keep the Shape hidden like a wraith in the most uncomfortable portions of the screen, only to emerge out of the darkness like the shark from Jaws, is a master stroke of visual horror and perhaps the finest of many fine collaborations between Carpenter and his long time cinematographer Dean Cundey. And the void-like ending, which transforms one brief night of horror into a never ending ending one (literally as well, given how undying this franchise is) will leave you with plenty of time to ruminate on the many striking images it conjures until the sun rises once again.

11. The Babysitter

This was a surprise. I didn't expect too much out of it and early on I was ready to nope out if they played up the hot babysitter stuff too much. The movie doesn't take its self too seriously. The
football guy
was a bit too anime for my tastes, but maybe psychopaths are just that way.

4 hours past my bed time out of 5.

12. #Horror

There is a real issue with little girls and 'like' culture. Bullying is incredibly intense for these kids. With all of this as a set up, #Horror fails to execute on any of the subjects it wants to speak about. There is a decent horror movie that someone took and decided to splice in a ton of computer graphics and 3 minutes on the end of the movie to ruin all it had to say. A much better cut of this movie would exist if it just happened back in 2005.

2 lost Instagram followers out of 5.

13. Nightmare before Christmass

I went to sleep during the middle of this movie. I didn't know it was a musical, and the graphics don't hold up to my memories of Kingdom Hearts 2. My son wasn't too much a fan of it either.

2 ungrateful creations out of 5.

14. Cube

I like small movies with big ideas. Trap rooms, hidden messages, and puzzles give this movie a great vibe with out things becoming too hopeless. I kind of wish it had explored a bit more despair in this movie. I guess I am spoiled by JP VNs that have plenty of time to touch on this kind of thing.

4 Escape Rooms out of 5.

15. Cube 2: Hyper Cube

If the first movie didn't satisfy your minimalist desires for a horror movie, then this one is right up your alley. All the rooms look the same, and this time it's
quantum realities
that are at play. It doesn't live up to the fun of the first movie, but it goes way more sci-fi. The ending feels a bit rushed as characters are just suddenly
ending up dead. If all of reality was folding in on it's self then all of the characters should have ended up in the same room at the end.
I had to read a wiki to see info on the alternate ending that explained a bit more. I like the concepts of the movie more than the execution.

3 Tessaracts out of 5.

Penguin

Movie 1 - Dracula (1931) [NEW]
Movie 2 - Dracula 2000 [NEW]
Movie 3 - Dracula (1979) [NEW]
Movie 4- The Creature from The Black Lagoon [NEW]
Movie 5 - Dracula's Daughter [New]
Movie 6 - Son of Dracula [New]
Movie 7 - El Bar [New]
Movie 8 - Dark Prince: The True Story of Dracula [New]
Movie 9 - John Carpenter's Vampires [New]
Movie 10 - Blacula [New]
Movie 11 - Dollman vs Demonic Toys [New]
Movie 12 - Frankenstein 1931 [New]
Movie 13 - Bride of Frankenstein [New]
Movie 14 - Corpse Bride [New]
Movie 15 - Little Evil [New]
Movie 16 - Alienate [New]
Movie 17 - Mary Shelley's Frankenstein [New]
Movie 18 - Cult of Chucky [New]
Movie 19 - The Babysitter [New]
Movie 20 - Freddy vs Jason [Rewatch]
Movie 21 - The Mummy (1932) [New]
Movie 22 - The Invisible Man [New]
Movie 23 - The Body Snatcher [New]
Movie 24 - The Mummy (2017) [New]
Movie 25 - Happy Death Day [New]
Movie 26 - The Wolf Man [New]
Movie 27 - Uncaged [New]
Movie 28 - The Batman vs Dracula [Rewatch]

Movie 29 - Scream Blacula Scream

not nearly as good as the first one. I think there was just a lot of moving pieces without a main plot/thread to tie everything together. Blacula is still a lot of fun though.

17. Raw
Holy shit is this film intense. It’s a French film that I had never heard of and pretty much went into blind and let me tell you, I might have bit off more than I could chew ;) It’s about a young girl heading off to veterinary school and she just so happens to be vegetarian. During hazing week, she is coerced into eating meat and things spiral out of control afterwards. Her older sister who attends the school already isn’t the best influence, either.
The movie will make you writhe in your seat more than once, but at the same time you won’t want to stop watching.
Eli Roth has some competition with this one lol

Ithil

I'm a little behind thanks to the hurricane here knocking out my power for a day and a half, but I'm back on watching random selections now.

31) Beetlejuice (1988)

p1wsA9k.jpg

They're dead. It's a little late to be neurotic.

One of those cult classics you would think I'd have seen, but somehow it just slipped through the cracks. It's really more comedy than horror, but I'm gonna count it.

I found this simply great. Full of energy and wit and boasting some superbly unhinged design work. Burton is young and clearly just bursting with ideas here and it shows. I loved all the incredibly creative looks for the puppets, makeup and sets, particularly the glimpses of the afterlife. The enthusiasm on display is palpable.

The cast was all a homerun, hammy as I'd expect from a Burton film. Michael Keaton obviously is the star, absolutely chewing the scenery in every appearance, but everyone else did well too. It's amusing to see Alec Baldwin look so youthful yet still have that raspy voice; I guess I thought that happened as he got older. Speaking of which, it's also funny to see Winona Ryder looking so young. I mean she permanently looked in her early twenties for several decades, but here she actually looks and sounds like a kid. Her "look" in the film is like the stereotypical Burton film look nowadays that people make fun of, yet it predates all of those and actually a lot of her material is making fun of that sort of dreary goth persona, like her incredibly lame suicide note.

I wish I'd watched this film sooner, I bet I'd have loved it as a kid.

society.jpeg

#21 - Society (FTV)

Sometimes being a horror fan who loves to look up random facts about horror films in their spare time, you tend to get spoiled on some movies. And while I won't say that what happens in the last 20 minutes of the film is spoiling the entire film, I'd wished I didn't know about it beforehand. But watching the "shunting" within the context of the entire film brought upon a feeling more than just gross. It was gross, infuriating, yet very impressive and awe-inspiring at how they pulled that scene off. Apparently the actor who gets "shunted" displayed such powerful emotion during that scene that Brian Yuzna had to edit some parts out to cut down on the torture he displayed.

Overall, the movie is good. Reminded me a lot of Rosemary's Baby in regards to paranoia driving fears that may or may not actually exist, with the payoff being much worse than originally feared. The acting was passable (although Devin DeVaquez was horrible, and WTF at her mother?), a good story, and absolutely amazing effects (CGI could never duplicate what's on display here). Definitely worth a watch, and try going in blind.

8 Beverly Hills spoiled brats feeding off of "low-class shits" out of 10.

Divius

VysxUJv.png

#17 - New Nightmare (1994)

Wes is back and we’re going META, baby! As the previous movies ‘only’ wove in and out of dreams and real life, this one adds the movie within a movie dimension as well. This allows for more world bending creative narrative and mindfuckery as one would expect from Wes Craven. Tonally New Nightmare is vastly different from the rest of the series and it took some adjustment on my part to get really into it as we dive into the insanity of Heather who is just trying to leave the Elm Street series behind her (just like me!). Freddy is more evil than ever and his new look is fantastic (albeit a bit cartoony), he’s not doing too much weird stuff in this but just being plain Freddy slashing up things. A worthy finale to a generally solid horror franchise. 6/10

sp3ctr3

#01 Serial Mom
#02 [REC]2
#03. Bloodsucking Bastards
#04. Train to Busan
#05 It Follows
#06 Hush
#07 Lights Out
#08 Cabin in the Woods (Re-watch)
#09 Krampus: The Christmas Devil (2013)
#10 The Conjuring 2
#11 Jason Lives: Friday 13th part VI (Re-watch)
#12 The Babysitter (2017)
#13 Sinister II
#14 Tales of Halloween (Re-watch)

#15 Monster House (Re-watch)
Monster_House_poster.jpg

Introduced my 9 year old daughter to horror today as we watched Monster House together. I don't know why but I really love this movie. It's a great story with a nice twist at the end. Has some great ideas and the animation style is something I've not seen before.

Kid lives across the street to this old grumpy guy. One day when the kid and his friend try to reclaim a basketball from the old guys lawn the old guy has a heart attack and the house "wakes up".

Divius

wOeHeMK.png

#BONUS - A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

I don’t want to talk about it. Luckily this director never directed another movie again. 1/10

Ridley327

wOeHeMK.png

I don’t want to talk about it. Luckily this director never directed another movie again. 1/10

"He directed like 40 music videos, including 'Smells Like Teen Spirit;' what could possibly go wrong," wondered an increasingly nervous executive.

Ithil

You poor soul. I remember Rooney Mara saying that this was the biggest regret in her acting career.

She appears to be on xanax for the entirety of the runtime. In a manner of speaking this might be appropriate for a film revolving around sleeping, but it doesn't make for an engaging performance.

Steamlord

#6 - The Mummy's Shroud

Bad characters, bad acting, bad mummy, and lotsa brownface. Oh, and the deaths are hilarious. Like when a character gets his head slammed against a wall and you can see the blood on the wall before it happens. The mummy's death is fun at least, though it's not executed as well as it could have been. I already knew The Mummy was the worst of Hammer's "big three" series and this is probably the worst one so far. I don't know if it's worse than The Evil of Frankenstein, though.

Elandyll

Banned
Day 13
Dawn of the Dead (Zack Snyder)
As a fan of the original Romero version, I was always surprised at how good the remake was, and still is. While generally not a fan of Snyder, I have to say he shows here a lot of restraint in the 'visuals for the sake of visuals', to build on themes very reminiscent of Romero's. From consumerism unshackled from the restraints of polite society, to how quickly we can turn on each other even in the worst of circumstances (or because of), to how a peacefull and dull suburbia can become a battlefield of horrors when the shit hits the fan ... And the gore / direction is excellent all around.
9/10

Day 14
The Faculty
Not quite as 'hip' or 'cool' as the dvd jacket pretends anymore, The Faculty is still quite good, with standout performances by Josh Harnett, Robert Patrick and Famke Jansen.
Based on a simple but smartly executed Alien Invasion idea, the movie entertains more than it scares most of the time, with often great dialogues. It also features my favorite cover of The Wall, unfortunately not available anywhere afaik
7/10

Day 15
Resident Evil
The start of our RE marathon. The first movie is still by far the best imo, and still holds up pretty well. Mila Jovovitch is gorgeous, zombies are decently gross and the gore plenty enough (for a more action-y style film), just don't go in expecting a faithful adaptation of the games. It's more of an "inspiration", with some fan service here and there. Shout Out for the amazing main musical theme as well.
8/10

Day 16
Resident Evil Apocalypse
While it does feature Nemesis and Jill Valentine, the film has little to do with RE2 even though it went markedly for a more action videogame style than its predecessor. The script is mediocre, the dialogue even worse, and the action itself is just ok. It's the fun the actors are having while shooting zombies, Mila in particular, which mostly saves the film (as it will for most of the sequels).
5/10

Day 17
Resident Evil Extinction
Directed by Russel Mulcahy (Highlander), the film is probably my second favorite of the series because it really tries to have an identity of its own. It's a sort of mix Resident Evil meets Mad Max, and is visually quite interesting. The script and the dialogues sink it for the most part, but multiple scenes remain worth seeing (bird attack, clones in a ditch..)
6/10

Ithil

32) The Visit (2015)

AmatwQ4.jpg

You know what? I never liked you

I had no idea this was a found footage film going in. I'm not the biggest fan of this genre, I find they're either highly limited, or highly contrived with plenty of "Who is holding the camera and why?" moments. In this case it was the latter.

It's considerably better than Shyamalan's efforts since, well, Unbreakable, 15 years before this film came out, so I guess it is a comeback of sorts, but it's far from amazing. Being superior to Lady in the Water is not a Herculean task. There's not a lot of premises found footage can go for other than "this character is camera obsessed" or "they're making a documentary", this film going with the second choice. I can't say it particularly added anything to the film, other than a few decent scares in the first half of the film and some uneasiness throughout. I would say you could have shot the film conventionally and gotten more or less the same product.

Unfortunately I saw the main "twist" coming from only a short ways into the film. It's less nonsensical than other Shyamalan twists, thankfully, but it didn't come as any surprise. Post-twist the film quickly devolved into pretty standard found footage scares mostly cribbed from other films (
The "big" scary scene of the girl trapped in the bedroom with the grandma comes to mind, with unintentionally funny camerawork as it reminded me of those videos where a cat slowly approaches the camera when it isn't looking
).

I'm crapping on it a bit much, as it's better shot than most found footage films, the characters are fairly well realized and there's a neat fairytale motif going on.

It's adequate, but I'd only recommend it to aficionados of the found footage genre. As a Shyamalan comeback, I much preferred Split.

Regarding your first review which I also found excellent if you haven't seen the directors first move Krisha seek it out.

Will do. Thanks.

Edit: Due to some morbid curiosity I usually can't stop myself from watching bad horror remakes, but I've been able to stay away from the Nightmare one. I've seen a scene or two on YouTube though and it astounds me how bad it looks when Freddy is appearing though the wall. All of that money and they couldn't even match what the original 'strapped for cash' production did with a damn bed sheet.

Adventures in Babysitting Double Feature! (Oh, and Child's Play Marathon - Part 1)

PvsBna3.jpg

15) Better Watch Out (2016) (Oct 15)

Better Watch Out takes possibly the most cliche horror setup and makes one hell of a fun ride out of it. You know the premise. A babysitter must protect her client's kid from unknown intruders, blah blah blah. Don't let that fool you, this one is full of surprises (don't watch the trailer). A Christmas setting, great lead cast and slick direction top things off.

My only complaint is that they tend to shoot around the violence a little more than I'd like considering it's rated R. Perhaps they were aiming for a lower rating or just wanted to make it more general audience friendly, I don't know. That's not to say it's without violence, this is still really dark stuff and not recommended for kids.

Really, really enjoyed this one. Highly Recommended. Seriously though, don't watch the trailer.

Rating:
yLv1TRE.png

out of 5 Bub salutes. (2.5 is considered average on this scale)

8tNvtmm.jpg

Bonus 03) Child's Play (1988) (Oct 15) (rewatch)

My new Blu-ray set finally got delivered on Friday, so time to dig in! Most of these movies I haven't seen since the VHS days so I'm excited to revisit them.

Everyone has bad hair and it's painfully obvious what effects are being used when to make Chucky come alive, but other than that Child's Play still holds up. Great pacing with very little (if any) wasted time and the minimal use of Chucky makes him that much more scary. And man, that
burnt Chucky head
is such a great visual.

Highly recommended.

9eFIlaa.jpg

16) The Babysitter (2017) (Oct 16)

How the hell did I manage to get 2 babysitter movies that subvert expectations in one month?

The Babysitter
goes in a different direction than Better Watch Out, but it's just as refreshing. Taking place in a bizarro alternate reality where everything is vivid and everyone is an over-the-top cartoon character, I wouldn't have minded if they pulled it back a bit for a more grounded reality. They go a little too wacky with some of it, such as the bully character who never really works. Luckily the rest of it is so strong it makes up for the oddities caused by the hyper style. The cast is fantastic, most notably Samara Weaving who is just delightful as the babysitter and Robbie Amell who plays his cartoonish stereotype to perfection.

Highly recommended. Don't watch the trailer for this one either.

Rating:
yLv1TRE.png

out of 5 Bub salutes. (2.5 is considered average on this scale)

1rDdGe7.jpg

Bonus 04) Child's Play 2 (1990) (Oct 16) (rewatch)

Child's Play 2 is a pretty typical sequel. A dumb reason for bringing the killer back, more screen time and one liners for the killer and just a little cheesier overall. Definitely not as well made as the original, but the phenomenal final showdown with
Chucky in the doll factory
makes this one a recommended watch.

9CQqEKQ.jpg

Bonus 05) Child's Play 3 (1991) (Oct 16) (rewatch)

Child's Play 3
was pretty universally considered the black sheep of the series until Seed of Chucky came along, now it's just the forgotten one. The military school setting is interesting and aging Andy (who is now 16) was probably a good move. The main problems are with Chucky himself, and his new target, 8-year-old Tyler.

While the doll effects are the best yet (obviously) and the movie is still trying to play it straight, this is where Chucky really begins to get too jokey. With too much screen time and too many one liners, he loses anything that made him scary in the previous movies.

And then there's the new kid, Tyler. In the first movie, Andy had a kind of naive innocence about him that lets you forgive some of his actions. Tyler is 2 years older than Andy, but comes off much more oblivious and quite frankly, dumber. He's poorly written and I don't normally like to trash child actors, but this kid was terrible.

Overall, Child's Play 3 isn't as bad as some big franchise sequels, but there's really nothing essential here, other than finally getting to see
the "Lakeshore Strangler" successfully strangle someone
. Skip it unless you're doing a full series watch.

Halfway There Recap:
01) Gerald's Game (2017) (Oct 1) - 4 / 5
02) Hatchet for the Honeymoon (Il rosso segno della follia) (1970) (Oct 3) - 4 / 5
03) The Stepfather (1987) (Oct 3) - 3 / 5
04) Possession (1981) (Oct 4) - 4 / 5
05) Touch of Death (Quando Alice ruppe lo specchio) (1988) (Oct 5) - 2 / 5
06) A Cat in the Brain (Un gatto nel cervello) (1990) (Oct 5) - 3 / 5
07) The Funhouse (1981) (Oct 7) - 2.5 / 5
Bonus 01) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) (Oct 7) (rewatch)
08) Rosemary's Baby (1968) (Oct 08) - 5 / 5
09) The Backcoat's Daughter (February) (2015) (Oct 9) - 4 / 5
10) The Love Witch (2016) (Oct 10) - 1 / 5
11) The Wolf Man (1941) (Oct 11) - 3 / 5
12) The Greasy Strangler (2016) (Oct 12) - 3.5 / 5
13) What We Become (Sorgenfri) (2015) (Oct 13) - 3 / 5
Bonus 02) Friday the 13th (2009) (Oct 13) (rewatch)
14) Saturday the 14th (1981) (Oct 14) - 1 / 5
15) Better Watch Out (2016) (Oct 15) - 4 / 5
Bonus 03) Child's Play (1988) (Oct 15) (rewatch)
16) The Babysitter (2017) (Oct 16) - 4 / 5
Bonus 04) Child's Play 2 (1990) (Oct 16) (rewatch)
Bonus 05) Child's Play 3 (1991) (Oct 16) (rewatch)

wOeHeMK.png

You know whenever a new remake comes out and the cast & crew try to defend it by saying they're not destroying all traces of the original so it can never be seen again?

The Nightmare on Elm St. remake is so awful it almost does. I saw that piece of shit in the theaters opening weekend and they ruined Freddy so much it actually managed to make me never want to see any of them again. I'm still trying to recover. I haven't seen one since, even though I own the Blu-ray collection.

Ithil

You know whenever a new remake comes out and the cast & crew try to defend it by saying they're not destroying all traces of the original so it can never be seen again?

The Nightmare on Elm St. remake is so awful it almost does. I saw that piece of shit in the theaters opening weekend and they ruined Freddy so much it actually managed to make me never want to see any of them again. I'm still trying to recover. I haven't seen one since, even though I own the Blu-ray collection.

The thing I hated most about the remake, beyond how completely lifeless it was, were the characters. What characters? There were no characters. There were parts in a horror movie script that some actors read for.
Not a single one seemed like a human, they were the most "horror movie script characters" I've ever seen. All their dialogue, their acting, it screamed "screenplay".

It's hard to explain exactly what I mean but that's how I felt watching it. That and boredom, anyway.

MattyH

after watching the rather surpisingly okay The Fear 2: Halloween Night last night ive gone with something a bit more action based #17 End Of Days

The thing I hated most about the remake, beyond how completely lifeless it was, were the characters. What characters? There were no characters. There were parts in a horror movie script that some actors read for.
Not a single one seemed like a human, they were the most "horror movie script characters" I've ever seen. All their dialogue, their acting, it screamed "screenplay".

It's hard to explain exactly what I mean but that's how I felt watching it. That and boredom, anyway.

The characters were always one of the things that separated the Nightmare films from other slashers. The kids were always likeable which made you feel when Freddy killed them in increasingly elaborate ways.

kinggroin

Banned
VysxUJv.png

#17 - New Nightmare (1994)

Wes is back and we’re going META, baby! As the previous movies ‘only’ wove in and out of dreams and real life, this one adds the movie within a movie dimension as well. This allows for more world bending creative narrative and mindfuckery as one would expect from Wes Craven. Tonally New Nightmare is vastly different from the rest of the series and it took some adjustment on my part to get really into it as we dive into the insanity of Heather who is just trying to leave the Elm Street series behind her (just like me!). Freddy is more evil than ever and his new look is fantastic (albeit a bit cartoony), he’s not doing too much weird stuff in this but just being plain Freddy slashing up things. A worthy finale to a generally solid horror franchise. 6/10

Something interesting.

In the very first nightmare on elm Street the characters speak about earthquakes typically preceding strange things happening (Freddy's arrival)

In a New Nightmare, there's an earthquake which signifies exactly that. Pretty cool considering this is supposed to be life gives birth to art (or vice versa)

lordxar

That Nightmare remake had the shittiest Freddy face you could possibly devise. Robert Englund is Freddy but a decent makeup job would have went a long way. Instead it was some bland version like a knockoff but not...

Divius

Something interesting.

In the very first nightmare on elm Street the characters speak about earthquakes typically preceding strange things happening (Freddy's arrival)

In a New Nightmare, there's an earthquake which signifies exactly that. Pretty cool considering this is supposed to be life gives birth to art (or vice versa)
Good catch, that is interesting, I didn't connect those dots. Interesting to see Wes reintroduce that in such a major way in New Nightmare.

That Nightmare remake had the shittiest Freddy face you could possibly devise. Robert Englund is Freddy but a decent makeup job would have went a long way. Instead it was some bland version like a knockoff but not...
That was definitely part of why it was so shit. Freddy himself. He just looked fucking stupid. Especially his face, sure, but also the way he carried himself and was presented.

October 17
Film #20
The Babysitter

So many people watching this, it's like the curse of the mandatory movie was never lifted!

What a good fun film. Bold, bright and bloody, with some solid performances, particularly from Judah Lewis as Cole. I really loved the cartoon feel of the movie, the over-saturated colours and the exuberant in-your-face-ness of it all. Bits of it were daft... Actually most of it was daft really, but it didn't matter because it was so enjoyable.

Verdict:

Films I've watched so far

Ithil

Looks like I'm just gonna be echoing a lot of other people with this one:

33) The Babysitter (2017)

uzNhYsZ.png

I'm not gonna let you die with egg on your face.

Quite a kooky horror comedy, with a lot more of the latter than the former. It takes a very over the top approach that mostly works, I enjoyed the silly tone.

At times the script got a little too quirky for its own good, like it was making too much of an effort to be clever, and the climax was a tad drawn out. Bella Thorpe or whatever her name is also can't act. Not even a little bit. Thankfully not a main role. The lead kid on the other hand was solid, with none of that weird jittery movement or uncertain line delivery a lot of kid actors are prone to.

It's short, so it's a quick and fun diversion. Rather bizarrely I can safety say it's the best film I've ever seen McG direct.

kinggroin

Banned
I haven't seen the Nightmare remake but that shot of Freddy looks like Arseface from Preacher to me.

I imagine it's that they wanted Freddy to look like a legit burn victim. *Shrug* the film was crushed under the weight of the reality it tried to present.

sp3ctr3

#01 Serial Mom
#02 [REC]2
#03. Bloodsucking Bastards
#04. Train to Busan
#05 It Follows
#06 Hush
#07 Lights Out
#08 Cabin in the Woods (Re-watch)
#09 Krampus: The Christmas Devil (2013)
#10 The Conjuring 2
#11 Jason Lives: Friday 13th part VI (Re-watch)
#12 The Babysitter (2017)
#13 Sinister II
#14 Tales of Halloween (Re-watch)
#15 Monster House (Re-watch)

#16 Gerald's Game
GeraldsGame.jpg

Fantastic movie. I really loved it.

when the dog took a bite out of the dead body you knew shit just got real

Toa TAK

Banned
On the 17th day of Halloween, my Netflix subscription gave to meeee:

17. Gerald's Game

GOOD SHIT. I generally enjoy movies like these where the location is mostly contained to a single environment. The psychological torment and self-realization that this woman goes through is great, if a little cliché, and at face value it could've been done without the seemingly supernatural elements but those have a payoff as well. The standout scene is both triumphant and squeamish, just as it should be. Gerald's Game is a great addition to the Netflix library.

Ithil

So I was looking at this Just Watch site for ideas on what films to watch this week, and after setting it to display horror movies I noticed:

hcHGPlF.png

I'm afraid that might be a little too scary for me.

Ridley327

October 16

darkwatersmarianobaino1.jpg

One would think that if it doesn't make for high art, then a movie that can boast the concept of being what would happen if The Shadow over Innsmouth was crossed with a nunsploitation flick would make for an easy victory for quality sleaze, but as Dark Waters proves, you do need to put the effort in to make a surefire concept work. Though the film does boast some occasionally sharp visuals, the film as a whole struggles to get out of first gear from the start, leading to a story that feels very aimless and its protagonist quite lost in accomplishing anything of value. Even if the mystery wasn't easy to spot right from the beginning, the story itself is told so confusingly and so slowly that even the most original revelation in the world would have been irreparably damaged by how much the build-up is bungled, throwing in too many damn things into the pot for anything to stand out. It doesn't even deliver on the baser elements, as there's an almost perverse lack of gore throughout and little is made of the killer convent itself, making one wonder why they would even bother introducing a couple of them when they virtually disappear from the rest of the film. It's got the makings of a trashy good time, but the filmmakers attempt to play the material as seriously as possible, which simply doesn't mesh at all, leading to a very unsatisfying film that can't deliver the goods or do anything that breaks the mold. This is honestly a weird film to write up about as there's so little to remark upon, but here I am and struggling to even remember watching it in the first place.

Film for Oct 17: A security guard at a medical institute gets more than he bargains for when fresh dead bodies are added to the ones already in storage in the Danish shocker Nightwatch. Boasting one of the earliest starring roles for Game of Thrones favorite Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and one of the few films that had its eventual American remake directed by the original's director, the concept doesn't seem too exciting, but a lot of the reason why it kept getting recommended to me was because of how well director Ole Bornedal approached the material, so I'm definitely in for something with some swagger after last night's dud.

So I was looking at this Just Watch site for ideas on what films to watch this week, and after setting it to display horror movies I noticed:

hcHGPlF.png

I'm afraid that might be a little too scary for me.
Some might say The Emoji Movie is placed there by mistake.
I’d say that it’s definitely under the correct genre

Wanderer5

Well here I am, at this film that had a particular presence whenever I go over my list, and it has been long time coming. Ever since I caught bit of a John Carpenter bug back in the summer with The Fog (only having seen Halloween before regarding his films), I started thinking about this one again to save for this month, and thus:

9. The Thing (1982)

large_s5fH3GqFcHbi2F0NSBSh4KRNTc0.jpg

What an absolute chilling experience, and just seeing the paranoia and distrust as the Thing starts assimilating characters was excellent with the sense of dread of who is actually still themselves or is it the Thing. The Thing itself is so intriguing of how it works, and it is scary of how it could possibly cause the end of civilization if it reached there. And of course, by damn it is quite disturbing and gruesome. The fantastic effects just hold up so well, and I definitely felt kind of sick quite a few times heh. Also on a particular note, it probably has one of the more disturbing screams I ever heard, as heard during the
Bennings being assimilated scene, which was creepy as hell.

Cast was just great, especially Kurt Russell, who is just so freaking awesome, and John Carpenter just loves his widescreen shots that works so well as usual, especially when presenting the setting and how bleak and isolated this is. I still need to see more of his movies, but having already seen the awesome Halloween and Escape from New York in partiuclar, he just seems to be even more on top of his game here.

Still need to wrap my head around this some more later, but I am happy to finally see this, and I also glad that Carpenter is still alive to see how much more love this film this has now, cause yeesh at its release. One of the best horror films? Yes I think would probably go with that.

I'm seeing a extreme lack of "Martyrs" being watched by people
I’m watching Inside and Martyrs tomorrow

Well here I am, at this film that had a particular presence whenever I go over my list, and it has been long time coming. Ever since I caught bit of a John Carpenter bug back in the summer with The Fog (only having seen Halloween before regarding his films), I started thinking about this one again to save for this month, and thus:

9. The Thing (1982)

large_s5fH3GqFcHbi2F0NSBSh4KRNTc0.jpg
First time watching? The Thing is an all time favorite. So many images burned into my head. I remember flipping through the channels when I was a kid and coming upon the autopsy scene

That stuck with me for a long time

Something else that has kept me from the NOES remake is my brother. He's never really cared about movies and generally watches about anything. He told me he walked out of the theater for the only time in his life because the remake was so bad.

Good catch, that is interesting, I didn't connect those dots. Interesting to see Wes reintroduce that in such a major way in New Nightmare.

Something else interesting is that an actual earthquake happen in LA during the shooting of New Nightmare, so the shots of destruction are real.

If someone had a gun to your head and you could only choose one, would you choose Halloween or The Thing?

Halloween. That's mainly due to my history with it and the impact it had on me growing up. The Thing is more of an accomplishment in my eyes and is probably the better film but Halloween is just too special to me.

If someone had a gun to your head and you could only choose one, would you choose Halloween or The Thing?
The Thing

Halloween was great and surprisingly lean and efficient, but The Thing succeeds on so many levels. A unique alien creature that is scary both as a monster and in that paranoid Body Snatcher way. The cold bleak atmosphere of isolation. The excellent cast of tough grizzled survivors. How the movie isn’t afraid to not answer questions or pull the rug out to create an air of unease (ie the opening with dog, the massacre at the other site, etc.).

Ithil

34) Tucker & Dale vs Evil (2010)

mvCqIj1.png

Oh hidy ho officer, we've had a doozy of a day. There we were minding our own business, just doing chores around the house, when kids started killing themselves all over my property.

I must be in a horror comedy mood today. Here we have a thoroughly silly example that presents a question of "How far can we stretch one joke?". The answer, to my surprise, was "very".

The central joke revolves around two well meaning hillbillies continuously and unintentionally appearing to be vicious killers right out of The Hills Have Eyes. You might think this would be sufficient only for a five minute sketch in a comedy show, but I was impressed by how much material they managed to wring out of this. Well over half the runtime in fact, and constantly one upping itself in wacky misunderstandings with comical gore ensuing. Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine give great, earnest performances as the titular hillbillies, and really make the preposterous plot work.

It does lose a bit of steam in the final act as it moves from a subverted slasher film into more actual slasher film territory, but all in all it doesn't detract too much. This was a rollicking good time.

The Thing. As great as Halloween is, The Thing has better writing and performances and keeps the tension up the entire way through. The paranoia, the effects, the isolation, the feeling that even though I’ve seen it half a dozen times I always forget who exactly is the thing at any given point. It’s Carpenter’s best film and maybe the best horror film of all time.

Top Bottom