• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please stop with your Apple trolling, or at least don't troll using blatant lies. It's a retina display. Retina is determined by distance held from the screen not pure PPI. Get over yourself please. Rewatch the iPhone 4 press event. Steve Jobs makes sure to explicitly state that the PPI for 4 is retina AT the distance iPhones are traditionally held from. Not that the iPhone 4 PPI is retina no matter the distance for every device out there. Retina is determined by PPI *AT THE DISTANCE* it is traditionally used from where pixels are no longer visible. iPads are held slightly farther away thus 260 PPI is retina at about 13 inches from the face.

And the Retina Macbooks will have a PPI closer to 180-200 due to the fact they are held even farther away than iPads.

Don't bother responding, he's heard this plenty of times but it doesn't matter to him.

Wiktor

Please stop with your Apple trolling, or at least don't troll using blatant lies. It's a retina display. Retina is determined by distance held from the screen not pure PPI. Get over yourself please. Rewatch the iPhone 4 press event. Steve Jobs makes sure to explicitly state that the PPI for 4 is retina AT the distance iPhones are traditionally held from. Not that the iPhone 4 PPI is retina no matter the distance for every device out there. Retina is determined by PPI *AT THE DISTANCE* it is traditionally used from where pixels are no longer visible. iPads are held slightly farther away thus 260 PPI is retina at about 13 inches from the face.

And the Retina Macbooks will have a PPI closer to 180-200 due to the fact they are held even farther away than iPads.

Aren't phones typicaly held at the same lenght as tablets are?

This only applies to iPhone, not Android devices, but:

- Install any app you want

- Interact with the file system

- Customize the home screen with new functionality

- Physical, universally-available buttons for things like launching apps and taking voice notes

- Until very recently, aggregate notifications (nearly a decade before iOS)

Android was originally made to compete with Windows Mobile, the most capable platform at the time, and so matches most (all?) of its advantages.

As an aside, I remember running Android on my HTC WinMob device before the iPhone was announced. It felt very much like Blackberry would be if RIM was a good company.

Yeah, thanks for completely doing as expected and confirming that point. You could be forgiven in 2007 for your cluelessness. But today, in 2012? When Apple (a company that entered the business less than 5 yrs ago) just came off selling 40 million phones last quarter with none of that crap? When Android tablets from dozens of manufactures with some of those 'features' (sideloading, physical buttons, etc) have sold 12 million COMBINED in their entire history- and when iPads sold 15 million LAST QUARTER. In your alternate universe, people care about that stuff. In this one, the market reaction has been clear. Just accept the fact that you have no idea what most people want, and you're in no position to advise a company like Apple about what they should do, because they clearly 'get' what people are looking for much more than you do. Look at where Windows 8 is going. You better hole yourself in your basement if this freaks you out so much.

I really wonder what a new Apple TV would bring. I imagine they would have a separate event for it if it was a huge update with its own app store.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I really wonder what a new Apple TV would bring. I imagine they would have a separate event for it if it was a huge update with its own app store.

No way, man! Bring back the "One more thing..." and knock the shit out of everyone with not just one major announcement...but two...and have the synergy between the two devices be so great that you basically market the AppleTV as a must have accessory for the iPad.

If you think the iPad is great, here is how much greater it is when you have the new AppleTV in your house.

AppleTV is so cheap that if Apple can make the case that they should be bought in tandem like a Smart Cover or something, magically Apple is hardcore in AppleTV business and it's no longer "just a hobby".

DO IT!

Oh, how the fuck do people keep insisting iPads are overpriced, especially the upcoming one if it has the rumoured features and Retina at the same price-point, when shit like this is coming out at these pricepoints:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/29/2831679/toshiba-excite-10-le-price-availability

I mean, seriously? The iPad will be a fucking steal compared to everything else in the same pricepoint, taking everything into account. I think that display is going to kind of fuck up everyone else. Either they'll have to do something similar to compete, without have the economies of scale that Apple has and thus severely affect their bottom line, or they'll stay at the same resolutions and the different between an iPad and everything else will become night and day.

This only applies to iPhone, not Android devices, but:

- Install any app you want

- Interact with the file system

- Customize the home screen with new functionality

- Physical, universally-available buttons for things like launching apps and taking voice notes

- Until very recently, aggregate notifications (nearly a decade before iOS)

Awesome. So you want your phone to be your pc? Crap software/malware/viruses, software crashes, etc.

There is a button for launching apps and taking voice notes. It's called the touch-screen.

I refuse to believe that the market ever really wanted this:

ppc_e350.jpg

12 buttons, constant crashes, etc

The marketplace has clearly shown that a curated ecosystem creates a more pleasant user experience for the vast majority of people out there. Most people have no interest in replicating the pc experience on their phone or tablet.

I've mentioned numerous times how great iOS devices are for my clients with autism. No home button is so much less intuitive, especially to this population.

I'm actually preparing a presentation on people with autism this semester. What apps have you really found effective or interesting for working with people with autism?

No way, man! Bring back the "One more thing..." and knock the shit out of everyone with not just one major announcement...but two...and have the synergy between the two devices be so great that you basically market the AppleTV as a must have accessory for the iPad.

If you think the iPad is great, here is how much greater it is when you have the new AppleTV in your house.

AppleTV is so cheap that if Apple can make the case that they should be bought in tandem like a Smart Cover or something, magically Apple is hardcore in AppleTV business and it's no longer "just a hobby".

DO IT!

It pretty much already is that accessory for iDevices though. Hell, it's only $30 more than a leather smart cover. I'm probably missing some big improvement that would significantly upgrade the experience of using an iPad with it.

Edit:

If anything adding something as big as an app store to it would make it less of an accessory to the iPad which would mean it'd make even less sense to show it off at this event.

Utako

Banned
Yeah, thanks for completely doing as expected and confirming that point. You could be forgiven in 2007 for your cluelessness. But today, in 2012? When Apple (a company that entered the business less than 5 yrs ago) just came off selling 40 million phones last quarter with none of that crap? When Android tablets from dozens of manufactures with some of those 'features' (sideloading, physical buttons, etc) have sold 12 million COMBINED in their entire history- and when iPads sold 15 million LAST QUARTER. In your alternate universe, people care about that stuff. In this one, the market reaction has been clear. Just accept the fact that you have no idea what most people want, and you're in no position to advise a company like Apple about what they should do, because they clearly 'get' what people are looking for much more than you do. Look at where Windows 8 is going. You better hole yourself in your basement if this freaks you out so much.

Your vapid animosity does more to prove my point than discredit it.

Good traits and bad traits are not mutually exclusive. It is a bad thing that iOS lacks some features it should have. For example, uploading files to a webapp, without which applications like Gmail probably would not exist today. But I think that is what Apple is getting at. ;)

By your logic, because PC sales were, far and away, beyond that of Macs before the iPhone and iPad changed everything, Steve Jobs and the NextStep team that came to Apple had no idea what users really wanted. I don't think that's true.

Anyone of reasonable experience has observed that a market leader is not infallible on virtue of being the leader. In fact, a market leader often becomes more fallible the longer they hold such a position (RIM RIM RIM).

blackflag

Where's usually the easiest place to line up to get one and how early based on past experiences? Apple store, Best Buy, or somewhere else?

I didn't stand in line for iPad 2 and couldn't even get 1 like 2 months after release. Ended up getting an iPad 1 for 50 dollars off.

I'm determined to get an iPad 3 day 1.

numble

Where's usually the easiest place to line up to get one and how early based on past experiences? Apple store, Best Buy, or somewhere else?

I didn't stand in line for iPad 2 and couldn't even get 1 like 2 months after release. Ended up getting an iPad 1 for 50 dollars off.

Apple Store. Best Buy will have limited stock.

Aeana

Huh, really? I've never participated in the launch of an Apple product; that worries me. I don't have the luxury of being able to skip stuff to line up for something. :/

blackflag

Huh, really? I've never participated in the launch of an Apple product; that worries me. I don't have the luxury of being able to skip stuff to line up for something. :/

yeah I have never stood in line like that for anything but I think I will this time unless they bring back preorders. I don't think you actually have to stand in line overnight or anything.....I hope.

I'm definitely ordering online, no way am I going to wait in line for an Apple product in New York again. If only there weren't so many damn resellers.

Seth C

Depending on when this thing launches (give me a two week delay, please) I may be in Los Angeles for the launch. I'd much rather be at home in Lexington.

numble

bestbuy is better chance, shorter line. Apple store in DE had over a 1000 people on line. I also took a half day from work to pick it up =(

I stood in line at Best Buy for iPad 1&2. Always turned out to be easier at Apple Store (there were 4 Apple Stores in NYC though). First time their shipment didn't get there yet and they handed out 20 or so IOUs. The second time it sold out in 20 minutes.

The actual procedure varies by country, unfortunately. Sometimes Apple will let you online preorder before the launch date (iPad 1), sometimes you gotta line up (iPhone 4 in Canada), sometimes after day one you need to make a special reservation (iPad 2 in Canada) or order online day one. Every time they seem to have the problem cracked they go back to square one...

Your vapid animosity does more to prove my point than discredit it.

Good traits and bad traits are not mutually exclusive. It is a bad thing that iOS lacks some features it should have. For example, uploading files to a webapp, without which applications like Gmail probably would not exist today. But I think that is what Apple is getting at. ;)

By your logic, because PC sales were, far and away, beyond that of Macs before the iPhone and iPad changed everything, Steve Jobs and the NextStep team that came to Apple had no idea what users really wanted. I don't think that's true.

Anyone of reasonable experience has observed that a market leader is not infallible on virtue of being the leader. In fact, a market leader often becomes more fallible the longer they hold such a position (RIM RIM RIM).

Vapid animosity? I call them how I see them, especially when you have the hubris to suggest that an insanely successful company is 'doing it wrong' because it isn't making the device YOU want it to make, even when noone else shares your wants.

Your PC analogy is completely irrelevant. People were never falling over themselves with excitement to buy PCs. It was the 'default' choice so to speak. If you haven't noticed, the majority of non-techies (ie. most of the earths population) actually hate their PCs, and hate computers in generally. This has been my experience dealing with hundreds of average people. Also, your NEXT comparison is ridiculous. You're comparing people that came in that were pushing to change things and move things forward (SJ and NExt), as an analogy what you want to happen, which is move BACKWARDS and start implementing outdated paradigms that failed on mobile devices. Yeah, I can just see the revolution now. Apple will be blown out of the water by a company introducing a phone with such revolutionary features like filesystems, side-loading, a ton of physical buttons, etc. You're not pushing for anything new. You want the old, that's already failed.

Your RIM analogy is also useless. Whats the point of randomly comparing tech companies? Anyone who has followed Apple and RIM for awhile realizes how fundamentally different both companies are, and just because Apple is on top now it doesn't make a comparison to RIM appropriate. RIM sat on its ass for 10+ years basically releasing the same phone. They got cofortable in their position. They also got their success from the enterprise market, which they then leveraged to enter the consumer market. Apple is going the opposite way, starting from a much larger market and using that leverage to make massive inroads into the enterprise. Corporations are switching to iPhones from BB everyday. Apparently, they also don't care about the things you mentioned. RIM became passive. There's nothing in Apple's history that suggests that they would let something like this happen anytime soon, and they've consistently shown themselves to be pro-active rather than re-active and continually looking at the big picture. Yeah SJ is gone, but I think the DNA will remain there for a long time to come. Besides mindless analogies, I have no idea what point you're trying to make. The market has proven you wrong. Nothing more needs to be said.

Aeana

The actual procedure varies by country, unfortunately. Sometimes Apple will let you online preorder before the launch date (iPad 1), sometimes you gotta line up (iPhone 4 in Canada), sometimes after day one you need to make a special reservation (iPad 2 in Canada) or order online day one. Every time they seem to have the problem cracked they go back to square one...

That's too bad. Unless I can order online or buy one in a shop without lining up, I guess I will have to wait. I just can't skip my responsibilities for a gadget launch. :/

i'll be on line at best buy again, i'll drive by the apple store this year and show you what happens when you have only one apple store in the entire state.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Best Buy did it shockingly well last year for me, and I'm hoping to use my $100 gift card from Christmas towards the purchase.

They had print-outs for all the available units they got in the store and walked up the line of people to confirm which one you wanted and gave you the reservation slip. No jostling for position or dying to know if you'd get what you were after.

Check-out took a bit longer than I'd like, but whatever. Fairly painless process.

Apple Store waiting is more fun because the crowds are usually cooler and Apple tends to give out freebies while you wait in line like food and drinks and stuff...

Aeana

I did.not realize that the iPad 2 launched on a Sunday. In that case, perhaps I can try. Apparently, we have six Apple stores within an hour from here.

edit: oh it was Friday? Poo.

Best Buy did it shockingly well last year for me, and I'm hoping to use my $100 gift card from Christmas towards the purchase.

They had print-outs for all the available units they got in the store and walked up the line of people to confirm which one you wanted and gave you the reservation slip. No jostling for position or dying to know if you'd get what you were after.

Check-out took a bit longer than I'd like, but whatever. Fairly painless process.

Apple Store waiting is more fun because the crowds are usually cooler and Apple tends to give out freebies while you wait in line like food and drinks and stuff...

yeah bestbuy was not as fun as iphone launch, but it was done pretty well. I hit the wrong best buy last year, they only had 20 ipads to sell while the other store had hundreds.

Zeth

I guess I'm in the minority here, or I'm just more of a barista than everyone else. I freakin' love lining up at my Apple store (King of Prussia, PA). For the iPad launches (wifi,3G,2) I got there pretty early in the morning with the day off and got pretty close the the front of the line of 1k+ people. It's always super fun, and I've met awesome people along the way. To top it off we usually get donuts/cookies and coffee/water/orange juice from the surprisingly cool/friendly employees who chat with us in line.

Looking forward to doing it again in a couple weeks. For now I'm guessing the Friday of the week following the announcement, but I know it's not definite. There's still a chance I'll order online if they are made available, though.

That's too bad. Unless I can order online or buy one in a shop without lining up, I guess I will have to wait. I just can't skip my responsibilities for a gadget launch. :/

I hear you. In the same boat, basically. Even if I wasn't the brutal winter here is going to make it rough going for anyone willing to lineup on a small, active sidewalk.

Best case: They'll let us do early preorders again. (Not likely, but possible)

Reasonably-hopeful case: They'll let us do reserves (basically every night at 9pm they update Apple Store stock for the next day. You slam the site, reserve a device using your Apple ID, and then come in at a pre-arranged date the day after. If you don't pick up within 24h it gets added to the stock again.)

Worst case: Lineups for months, best option is to preorder at midnight launch day and wait a few weeks for the courier delivery.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i'm going to pick an out of town apple store in a retail park, on the basis that its pretty quiet in the morning and doesn't have much passing trade. Plus the city already has another apple store in the city centre so most people will probably go there.

I guess I'm in the minority here, or I'm just more of a barista than everyone else. I freakin' love lining up at my Apple store (King of Prussia, PA). For the iPad launches (wifi,3G,2) I got there pretty early in the morning with the day off and got pretty close the the front of the line of 1k+ people. It's always super fun, and I've met awesome people along the way. To top it off we usually get donuts/cookies and coffee/water/orange juice from the surprisingly cool/friendly employees who chat with us in line.

Looking forward to doing it again in a couple weeks. For now I'm guessing the Friday of the week following the announcement, but I know it's not definite. There's still a chance I'll order online if they are made available, though.

If it was more like that here in NY, I would consider it. Instead it's a thousand resellers trying to sneakily get as many tickets as possible all the while messing up the line.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Saw a rumour that Apple are holding back shipments of Apple TV to stores. Let's hope that they are getting ready to release the next version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom