• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's June 10 WWDC keynote may happen at the same time as Microsoft's E3 presser

Ben Kuchera writing a new piece about this: "Why MS conference happening at the same time than Apple's is the best thing that could have happened to Microsoft and the worst nightmare for Apple (Really!)"

Yeah, it'll affect E3 in general too. I just think that it'll affect Microsoft most by sheer proximity - they won't be getting nearly as many top 'breaking news' headlines.

Yeah, in tech sites, but the MS E3 presser isn't about the tech. It's all about games. So again, this won't have any impact.

The same applies to Sony's presser. This is non news and I reiterate, not sure why people are getting so excited.

Unless Apple announce a console with exclusive Steam support, it's a non factor.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
What's up with the apple d*ck riding? Lol, yeah the Xbox Reveal kinda sucked, but as a gamer the MS e3 presentation is still more important than the event where apple will unveil stuff which has been the norm n Android devices for 2 years.

It would be different if this were an event were apple would announce new hardware. Mainstream doesn't go crazy for their software only events.

Jachaos

This doesn't just effect Microsoft. Sony's press conference is on the same day. News happens in daily cycles, so if Microsoft's mainstream coverage is going to be draped by Apple's conference overlapping with their own, so will Sony's considering it's only hours later.

It's not ideal for Sony and E3 in general I guess, but Microsoft basically declaring they want to take on new grounds and having to do so being the smaller one (as opposed to being the giant vs Sony and Nintendo) will be tough on them. The conferences being at the same time is tough too because people will have to make a choice of which to follow in real-time. Sony, people interested can watch it live without it overlapping with something else, plus many will be on tech-sites in the evening to catch a recap of WWDC and they'll see some PS4 news popping up. The same can be said for Microsoft (added traffic on tech websites) but it's the only upside vs a ton of attention taken away.

trmas

Banned
Apple beats everything... I am a HUGE Apple fanboy - my house is filled with Macs, iPads, iPhones, iTV, etc...

MS is crazy to think they can compete with Apple - they just have style

Hoo-doo

Banned
So you believe every site, gaming and otherwise will be entirely focused on the Apple event?

Really?

Of course not. But say for example the Verge isn't going to be liveblogging Microsoft's E3 event on the main page like they did yesterday. They'll focus on WWDC, like nearly every tech site.

So you believe every site, gaming and otherwise will be entirely focused on the Apple event?

Really?

It's not about what the media covers (they'll do both), it's what people read. And media will probably give prime time to Apple, possibily reducing Xbox exposure to the general population.

Jachaos

Yeah, it's not like they have done anything interesting lately. Suprised people still care/are excited about Apple.

They haven't, I'm disapointed with the output. But Jony Ive being in charge of iOS7 is extremely interesting to me, and ever since I've gotten a MacBook (black, in 2007, and then Air in 2011) there's no way I'm going back, so a refresh to the line-up is also of interest to me.

iPhone 5 has been underwhelming as far as changes go, the whole innovation with constant new announcements has been lacking as it seems it's been forever since I've watched an Apple Conference. But I'm sure this is going to be their biggest show they've put on in over a year.

JCreasy

Really?

Apple news will be bigger than Microsoft news.

Unequivocally.

Will they get some coverage? Of course. Will they get Tier 1 coverage? Absolutely not.

That's my point.

The buzz will be all about Apple in the morning. By the time we've all digested it, we'll be ready to dig into Sony coverage in the evening, undistracted.

It'll be a great day.

If all Microsoft does is show games like they keep saying they will, why would non-gaming sites give them much coverage?

They won't, like they haven't in years past.

Of course not. But say for example the Verge isn't going to be liveblogging Microsoft's E3 event on the main page like they did yesterday. They'll focus on WWDC, like nearly every tech site.

They'll undoubtedly be liveblogging both and both will feature prominently on their front page. Or does the Verge only have one reporter?

It's not about what the media covers (they'll do both), it's what people read. And media will probably give prime time to Apple, possibily reducing Xbox exposure to the general population.

People interested in Apple will be reading about Apple. Those interested in games will be reading about games. There's no competition. GT won't be covering the Apple conference, they'll be covering E3, just like virtually every other gaming site.

It's like people have lost all their ability to exercise critical thinking these past few days. The amount of BS being posted in staggering.

jbug617

Banned
Apple will get priority over all of E3 by tech sites like The Verge and Engadget. E3 is for the games I got to game sites for that and not tech sites.

derExperte

Apple beats everything... I am a HUGE Apple fanboy - my house is filled with Macs, iPads, iPhones, iTV, etc...

MS is crazy to think they can compete with Apple - they just have style

Ah, a new insane Apple-fanboy has emerged. Will watch this one closely, has potential.

Things they do are more interesting than everything MS is doing as a whole.

Apple still does things? Imo they've pretty much come to a stand still and are too afraid to risk anything anymore. I have no love for the One but at least it's something to talk about.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So? Gamers will be watching Microsofts (even just for the tragedy that occurs at this point). Apple conferences have gotten more boring over the years too, even the late Steve Jobs ones were a bit meh, especially when there are less and less surprises every time.

Hoo-doo

Banned
They won't, like they haven't in years past.

They'll undoubtedly be liveblogging both and both will feature prominently on their front page. Or does the Verge only have one reporter?

People interested in Apple will be reading about Apple. Those interested in games will be reading about games. There's no competition. GT won't be covering the Apple conference, they'll be covering E3, just like virtually every other gaming site.

It's like people have lost all their ability to exercise critical thinking these past few days. The amount of BS being posted in staggering.

You still seem to think that people either exclusively care about games, or they care about Apple.
Guess what, millions of people love and enjoy products from both companies and their attention will be split.
Apple is just the big dog here and will have the majority of the internet's attention, no matter what.

You calling out people for losing their ability to think critically is especially hilarious.

Apple news will be bigger than Microsoft news.

Unequivocally.

Will they get some coverage? Of course. Will they get Tier 1 coverage? Absolutely not.

That's my point.

The buzz will be all about Apple in the morning. By the time we've all digested it, we'll be ready to dig into Sony coverage in the evening, undistracted.

It'll be a great day.

No, because they are focused on two very, very different things.

Jesus Christ, it's like people are being wilfully dense about this. Apple's conference isn't competing with E3 or MS' presser. They won't be competing for headlines on most sites. Gaming sites won't be leading with Apple news, just as Tech sites won't be leading with games announcements from E3.

You still seem to think that people either exclusively care about games, or they care about Apple.
Guess what, millions of people love and enjoy products from both companies and their attention will be split.
Apple is just the big dog here and will have the majority of the internet's attention, no matter what.

You calling out people for losing their ability to think critically is especially hilarious.

Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ.

Those moving goalposts.

Jesus Christ, it's like people are being wilfully dense about this. Apple's conference isn't competing with E3 or MS' presser. They won't be competing for headlines on most sites. Gaming sites won't be leading with Apple news, just as Tech sites won't be leading with games announcements from E3.

I think that, if the Apple event weren't happening at the same time as the MS one, we'd absolutely see tech sites talking much more prominently about the Microsoft event. There's more of an overlap than you think, IMO.

JCreasy

Apple's not competing with MS.

MS is undoubtedly competing with Apple.

But we'll see won't we. Doesn't matter what I think. On June 10th, we'll see :)

I think that, if the Apple event weren't happening at the same time as the MS one, we'd absolutely see tech sites talking much more prominently about the Microsoft event. There's more of an overlap than you think, IMO.

Overlap sure, but the suggestion is that they won't be focused on the MS event at all and that the MS presser is now doomed for failure because it's happening at the same time.

Tech sites will undoubtedly focus more on the Apple announcements, but that's irrelevant. I don't go to tech sites for news about games and in my experience, tech sites don't usually focus on game announcements too much anyway unless they are for big name titles.

Which is essentially my point, it's ridiculous to say they'll have any significant impact on each other.

AmanoBuff

Gamers will be watching MS E3 conference, everybody else will have their eyes on Apple.

As for myself, I'll watch MS's conference live and then tune in to the repeat broadcast of Apple's conference, since they usually put it up even less than an hour after it is done.

And later on the day, the Sony conference....

Man, what a great day it is going to be :D

Overlap sure, but the suggestion is that they won't be focused on the MS event at all and that the MS presser is now doomed for failure because it's happening at the same time.

Tech sites will undoubtedly focus more on the Apple announcements, but that's irrelevant. I don't go to tech sites for news about games and in my experience, tech sites don't usually focus on game announcements too much anyway unless they are for big name titles.

Which is essentially my point, it's ridiculous to say they'll have any significant impact on each other.

The Xbox One's focus seems to me to be very much about being a consumer-facing device first and foremost and a games console second, though. Microsoft's aims seem to be very much focused on that at the moment. And that's absolutely putting them in direct competition with Apple.

AmanoBuff

it's not confirmed either way, but they usually do not. They do sometimes but rarely.

The issue here is that apple will get most of the front page attention from all the popular tech sites and whatnot.

They livestreamed the last couple of them though, so I'm guessing they might do the same this time.

SpaceHobo

Banned
Ugh I have an ipad and iPhone 5 , couldn't care less about an Apple keynote , unless they are showing a games console and 15 new games ?

Also this only affects XO ? If a new ipad gets announced the tech sites will have stopped talking about it in time for the Sony Keynote ?

Bullza2o

This will be tough for Microsoft. I expect the new iPhone or iPad or whatever they might announce will dominate the news headlines and push Xbone to the ground.

Top Bottom