• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 25| Did you think me defeated?!"

Masterz1337

Neo Member
So, this is Halo Recruit in action.

Well, I guess I can forget my dream of 343 going back to the old design after I played Halo Wars 2...

I would say it's a cool introduction to the Halo's fauna, but even if I knew we should not expect a lot, I was a bit disappointed to see this take place in a UNSC ship simulator and you shot 2D sprites of Covenant units...

I mean, did 343 limite themselves regarding new Halo experiences, or was it because it was a small side project they didn't offer more? Like, be creative, why not offering the same shooting experience on a Halo ring, using the power of VR to bring us to new worlds?

One fan tried new things with the idea of VR Halo. It is far far from perfect, and I'm sure 343/Microsoft wanted a more simple yet controlled and mastered experience when bringing Halo to VR, but I don't feel like they were inspired for this one.

Again, I don't know if they are limiting themselves or they couldn't afford more with the goal of this VR experience.

Well, if they were investing lots of money to return to the old art style and develop high quality assets, I am pretty sure they wouldn't want to show them off in a hobby project like this. Plus if they are doing that I imagine they want to refine them until the last possible second before showing them to the public.

However someone should take a closer look at the drones shown in Recruit.... I wasn't able to tell if it's the reach asset reused or something else....

JlNX

So, this is Halo Recruit in action.

Well, I guess I can forget my dream of 343 going back to the old design after I played Halo Wars 2...

I would say it's a cool introduction to the Halo's fauna, but even if I knew we should not expect a lot, I was a bit disappointed to see this take place in a UNSC ship simulator and you shot 2D sprites of Covenant units...

I mean, did 343 limite themselves regarding new Halo experiences, or was it because it was a small side project they didn't offer more? Like, be creative, why not offering the same shooting experience on a Halo ring, using the power of VR to bring us to new worlds?

One fan tried new things with the idea of VR Halo. It is far far from perfect, and I'm sure 343/Microsoft wanted a more simple yet controlled and mastered experience when bringing Halo to VR, but I don't feel like they were inspired for this one.

Again, I don't know if they are limiting themselves or they couldn't afford more with the goal of this VR experience.

Do you really think they are going to have the Halo 3 design of Cortana in Halo 6? trying to gather anything from a small cheap little test experience probably made in Halo 5's engine isn't the best guess. This is also made by Endeavor who is made up of Bungie vets, ironically enough Tom Doyle a 3d artist on Halo and art lead at Bungie is a founder of the studio.

Juan

Do you really think they are going to have the Halo 3 design of Cortana in Halo 6?

Hmm, who's talking about Cortana? I'm only referencing the fauna as Covenant species since they do have modern 3D models using the old art direction ready to be used, but they prefer to use their own art direction as, as they said, an introduction to the Halo universe.

So, I'm just assuming by their words and visual demonstration on Halo Recruit the new art direction represents what is the Halo fauna now (since, if you introduce people to your world using VR and you are planning to go back to the old art direction within your next title, then that would be awkward to chose something you don't plan to use anymore further in your game).

Regarding Cortana, I'm actually pretty fine with what they did to her in term of art and visual (but not so about the narrative ofc).

Trying to gather anything from a small cheap little test experience probably made in Halo 5's engine isn't the best guess.

That's why I pointed this may more a controlled experience than a new branch for a new direction toward what's Halo now.

Still, I can only point the lack of ambition, or imagination, from my perspective ofc, to offer a 2D shooter within an AR world within a UNSC simulator using their new art direction. It wouldn't cost much to offer the same thing but on a Halo ring or anything else, which would be, imo, more representative of the Halo universe.

But that's just, you know, my opinion.

Also, from what I'm aware, Halo 5's engine isn't VR ready, so they are mostly using Unity (which is the go-to engine sponsored by Microsoft for any VR/AR/MR creation made on the Windows platform, and is easy to handle from what I've working on with it), so I wasn't suggesting we should take everything for granted (like, I didn't talk about dual wedding returning even if that's the basic mechanic of this VR experience).

Small budget, probably not a whole bunch of time to make it, and MS probably wanted it to be small for the launch of MR so they can easily demo it at stores (which is where I will be trying it out to see if I want a MR headset)

Sure, totally agree, better a small glimpse ordered by MS to showcase VR with a well-known branded name than nothing. That doesn't change my opinion regarding what they think is a good introduction to the Halo universe, but I will put that on the small budget and reusing assets.

I would say I'm quite disappointed it's not a MR experience I can use with Hololens (as I'm aware, I may have missed something about this) as I would have loved to get some Elites/Grunt in my room.

Toa Axis

Man. I really wish I interacted in this thread, given I'm a huge Halo fan. But now that everything is going up in flames, I suppose there's no better time.

We never die were just missing in action.

We're missing, but we shall be found
in a new Era.

Madness

25+ OT's not counting the bans,the weird HolaGAf's, the MCC and H5 OT's,we had a better run than LFG or where is Xur DestinyGAF. What's Frank doing?

Madness

We got the discord for now. Let's see where it goes. A few people already done from here. Keep stinkles kn loop.

'There'll Be Another Time'

Top Bottom