• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Oh really?

So what part sold you guys on Kid Icarus?

I think for me it was the crazy number of weapons & gambling system that made me go "Hey..what's all this now?".

Randomly generated content. Gambling. Difficulty. Online multiplayer. Collecting crap(but this falls under randomly generated content), Weapon Fusion, Sakurai.

And the menus look like Smash Bros Brawls menus. Sakurai loves his bolded shape edges, doesn't he

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Why am I attracted to this game?
The absolute crazyness present in every part of the game. Come on, this game starts in ancient-Greek-like place, and then...SPACE KRAKKEN!!!
And blasting gameplay, from what I'm seeing. So much content.
It's something unique, something "magic", from a certain point of view.ù

And...yes, I consider partly a sort of brand new IP for Nintendo, since it's SO different gameplay wise from the original, which hasn't been either a "cult-hit" like Donkey Kong, for example, and which is so old. :p

This game looks to have great replayability, as well as polish. It also looks like it doesn't take itself too seriously and is a lot of fun.

That's why I'm interested. Multiplayer modes, etc. are icing on the cake to me

Teknoman

Oh really?

I think for me it was the crazy number of weapons & gambling system that made me go "Hey..what's all this now?".

Its like a portable Sin and Punishment with Nintendo flavor and an awesome soundtrack mixed in, plus a dash of online multiplayer.

Forkball

I printed out the OP and framed it.

Also I have no idea what type of game this is. Is it kind of like Sin and Punishment?

ajim

nzC54.gif

hahaha awesome

I knew I was going to buy this from the reveal, the game being the kind of longshot reboot that you rarely see (from Nintendo, anyway) outside of pre-E3 wishlists. I was sold based on that, Sakurai and what little we knew about the games systems. Everything we've heard in the past several months has increased my hype exponentially. The multiplayer looks awesome, there's tons of content/replay-ability and the difficulty slider is very welcome. It even has loot, which I'm a sucker for. At this point it's my most anticipated game.

The most recurring worry and criticism is that the ground sections can be difficult to control, but the EDGE review made it seem like there's a learning curve, not that it's unplayable, so I'm not too worried about that.

I'd love for this to be a success and for the franchise to take its place with alongside Nintendo's most beloved IPs. Already dreaming of a Wii U version.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Also I have no idea what type of game this is. Is it kind of like Sin and Punishment?

A little bit. The best comparison is probably Virtual On, but there's touches of S&P, Smash and Power Stone in there too - the action/shooting stuff is supplemented with loot, an open-ended difficulty slider, the online multiplayer and other random stuff like collectible idols and AR cards and whatnot.

MarkusRJR

Oh really?

It was mainly the rail-shooter aspect of it all. I absolutely love the Star Fox/Sin & Punishment series, and this looks really similar. I'm a little wary of the land segments but they could be awesome.

My pre-order is all paid off... GIMME THE GAME ALREADY. D:

I know nothing about this game since I have not keep my eyes on it

it has changed so much I need to check the website to catch up because I only knew about the Eggplant from the original game. I beat this game once on the NES but I remember it was brutal

Tyeforce

I was gonna save this for when the real OT is made, but I'm impatient, so I'm posting it now, lol. Anyway, I made a bunch of avatars for anyone who might want one. They're not that amazing, but whatever, lol. Reply if you take one!

EDIT: Moved to page 5.

The way Nintendo is promoting this game I don't think it is going to fail. They have a bunch of commercials and are pushing it as the next big 3DS game, and remember it was the first game revealed with the 3DS.

Nice work; will stick those in the OT once it's done.

I'm not actually allowed to post the OT until a week before the game's due out, but by this point I think I'll just throw it up as soon as it's done.

Sorry guys. :(

Have there been any reviews yet or is it still too early? Anything from Nintendo Power?

Regardless of what score this gets, I'm getting it no matter what! Can't wait!

Another question. I think this has been asked before.

For the controls, I know the circle pad is compatible, but if I don't have it, does it control like Metroid Prime Hunters where you move the camera with the stylus?

Busaiku

Another question. I think this has been asked before.

For the controls, I know the circle pad is compatible, but if I don't have it, does it control like Metroid Prime Hunters where you move the camera with the stylus?

The camera is only controllable with the stylus.
The only use for the Circle Pad is for lefties (to use with their right thumb).

The game does not support dual analog in any way.

This game has certainly had a rollercoaster-type hype circuit. Peaks and valleys galore. I may pick it up if I finish Revelaitons by that time, which isn't a total certainty since I have virtually no time to spare for games at the moment. Damn my education and the need to pay bills!

Tyeforce

I'm really liking the Palms and the Orbitars.
Seems like they've got the most flexibility among the weapons.

Also, which short is this from?
The Palutena or Medusa one?
I agree with you, I think I'll be using Palms and/or Orbitars as my weapons of choice!

And that Pit is from the Palutena short.

The camera is only controllable with the stylus.
The only use for the Circle Pad is for lefties (to use with their right thumb).

The game does not support dual analog in any way.

Thanks. Was planning on getting the pad but I guess I can hold off on it...

...until the 3DS Lite! :D

About avatars: Can I call one and put it on my profile later? I want the first Medusa one (3rd row second picture) but am on my iPad and won't be able to get on my computer for a day or two to update my avatar. (Stupid iPad not having a upload image option from the web browser...)

cant you copy the image url link and past it into the custom avatar address?

Woah, totally forgot about that.

Alright awsome. Now I have my first avatar ever on this board except for a generic WiiMote icon I had in like the first few months of registering...

Thanks ffdgh! :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I was gonna save this for when the real OT is made, but I'm impatient, so I'm posting it now, lol. Anyway, I made a bunch of avatars for anyone who might want one. They're not that amazing, but whatever, lol. Reply if you take one!

GAF_Boxart_JP1.png

Taking this. :D

Spike

Oh really?

The fact that it was a Kid Icarus game sold me from day one. I've waited for this for so, so long, and now I'm so, so happy.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It's weird, I can definitely identify the Nintendo Direct presentation as being the point that sold me, but I can't really pick out anything specific about it that did so. I think it was more like a slow burn of excitement that started building up over the last few months, and then when I finally saw Sakurai showing the game off, things just clicked in my head. Pre-ordered it the day after.

Pretty much the same over here. A gradual build up from "I'll buy it when it drops in price" to "day one" after the Nintendo direct presentation.

Top Bottom