• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2017 [OT]- Kneelin' and dealin'

yyzjohn

Banned
Lots of empty seats to be expected, but at this point it shouldn't be an issue. 15 years of massive profit should be enough to tank 4-5 years

The good news is, it doesn't take that long to rebuild if you're fully committed to it and draft properly. With guys making impacts at 19-20 years old, you hit on a few good picks and you can turn your team around. Look at the Leafs, Shanahan was brought in 2014, they were a total fucking joke, and now just over 3 years later they've turned it around and look like a playoff team. Of course you have to get lucky with the lottery like we did, but still we drafted Nylander, Marner, Rielly, Kadri, Brown all with non first overall picks and they're all contributing.

Quick

Banned
First back-to-back games for the Leafs, I guess this McElhinney starts tonight against the Wings. TheScore app seems to assume this as well.

This is probably the first game all month that I'm able to watch from the beginning instead of catching it halfway or most of the way done.

On sadder news, I've never listened to the Tragically Hip on my own time, though you just kind of hear their music everywhere anyway. I respect the band's influence in Canada, and definitely respect Gord Downie. RIP.

Cake Boss

Banned
I took a picture of the pathetic tarp over the seats yesterday, I couldn't believe how sad and stupid it looks. Melnyk you are such a loser lol. Always embarrassing us.

x24UH_WQprapZFZENTO_qW2JB8X5ccPNCaQGqDPlSD2oWo6wg7WdqJ0A7jZWMioHduoAder_nkWT5GlyTTlZZ6F7wXlqVn-xBoPeWJSVNeH3nuf1IOoNf994EBhNvMCACWV0p6rwxJwqM4pJDtcuVqRgYjrksUmW8f0IcYe3J-ms_8cwujkkKOzn0FGZbEauQDw4QdBhVANn3030aQI6U91KNr_1r93-7uP0ZrMaGQ_RPAFOmhC3GgmWeE8tFxC6jcddTPWvMOUuAVeGIOFXJ3XdTAlKJpofDOLhkmn2u6FzPTXv_xvHT8n16iJH5y8Eh22dGKcxru_ga5JLD4b4ZT8GXNI2nTx-ULJrD4u00E9w2q2EohRkEEL-rtlHEIj7ijaejKJEmi_ZdIIjtlF1yB85NXEJ3VABkWyymSWyIScO-EOBcZ6UVjGkWdxOvbvG_xk_KTkIFKTLb6b5qixXw_zPeCjXjMkmHYFfJTOCQvuoLMLNMN0qtF6eYBkX3_D53y_EHDHIwx5VishcHFfRr6Xns0x55R8q9_374WzGtne_VeW_-34Nb6us-GfD42_hjyYEcywyQ933txz2eK9QKUA464iwkQvrz1NFsDwsddo=w1280-h960-no

There's an interesting piece up on The Athletic about the Canucks ticket sales. Talks about the cost of living, high ticket prices, poor team performance this all contributing to a poor fan experience.

I wonder how much of the same applies in Ottawa?

Foggy

How's the traffic to see a Canucks game?

I hear the traffic to see a Sens game is unbearable. Borderline uncivilized, in fact.

Quick

Banned
There's an interesting piece up on The Athletic about the Canucks ticket sales. Talks about the cost of living, high ticket prices, poor team performance this all contributing to a poor fan experience.

Poor fan experience and bad location maybe?

Cake Boss

Banned
Poor fan experience and bad location maybe?

Well, the bad location was always there and didn't have this problem before.

I think its just complacency in the market, also the city's biggest employer not being able to pay its employees is still a huge problem, and that doesn't get talked about much.

I got underpaid this morning. HURRAHHH!!

Ottawa's problems are more due to garbage old man marketing, and especially arena location.

Well, the bad location was always there and didn't have this problem before.

I think its just complacency in the market, also the city's biggest employer not being able to pay its employees is still a huge problem, and that doesn't get talked about much.

I got underpaid this morning. HURRAHHH!!

I think we always had the location problem, it was just masked by having some of the best teams in the NHL in the past.

Marvie_3

Banned
I took a picture of the pathetic tarp over the seats yesterday, I couldn't believe how sad and stupid it looks. Melnyk you are such a loser lol. Always embarrassing us.
Dont worry cake. I'm due to win the lottery soon. I'll buy the Sens and run them the right way with good canadian boys on the ice. 👍🏻

I joke about this being the Guy Boucher effect, but what's the real reason? Just the location of the arena?

Cake Boss

Banned
Also yesterday.

They asked us to cheer and make noise for Amazon to bring their NA shop to Ottawa.

Shit was so cringe worthy. URRRRGHHHHH This franchise is legit ECHL level of marketing and entertainment.

We are currently cheering for Amazon to set up shop in Ottawa during a TV timeout. I'm not making this up.

Silexx

I joke about this being the Guy Boucher effect, but what's the real reason? Just the location of the arena?

Cake Boss already touched on this, but I agree that the Pheonix pay system has had a much bigger impact than people are willing to admit. It's not just that some people are not getting paid, it's that there's a chilling effect across the public service where people across the board are wondering 'Am I next?' and it's causing civil servants to tighten up financially and cutting back on non-essential expenses.

Cake Boss

Banned
You can't teach size

He was going on about his localness, legit.

Also I noticed how they also do the out of town scoreboard, they showed all the scores for the games, except for one. The Leafs game. I checked the score quickly on my phone and the Leafs were winning. You can sense the the fickleness of the fanbase, that they don't want to hear about the leafs winning lol or the franchise is too insecure to show it, and I saw so many embarrassing custom jeseys of "Leafs suck" yesterday. urrrghhhhh

okay enough shitting on this franchise for one day.

How about them les habitants.

He was going on about his localness, legit.

Also I noticed how they also do the out of town scoreboard, they showed all the scores for the games, except for one. The Leafs game. I checked the score quickly on my phone and the Leafs were winning. You can sense the the fickleness of the fanbase, that they don't want to hear about the leafs winning lol or the franchise is too insecure to show it, and I saw so many embarrassing custom jeseys of "Leafs suck" yesterday. urrrghhhhh

okay enough shitting on this franchise for one day.

How about them les habitants.

Eugene needs to sell the team ASAP. The marketing department is stuck in the 80s

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think AV will get fired?

Ask me again in November. He just signed a huge contract back in January, I believe, and the fact is that our record is worse than the team actually has been. We could easily be 4-3 right now even with our stupid starts with even slightly better luck. Right now the only teams with a worse PDO are Arizona, Edmonton, and Montreal despite otherwise good statistical numbers. We seem to be in positive numbers in most other advanced stat categories (and we're leading the NHL in hits, so we're good on Grit™ too). EDIT: Actually, I realize now that I was looking at all situations rather than 5-on-5, where our Corsi is not so good and our PDO climbs up a couple spots to 24th.

So AV has a very long leash to work with, but the longer this goes on, the more likely Jeff Gorton is going to have his hand forced. We already have Lindy Ruff behind the bench.

Not surprised people living in Vancouver don't want to buy Canucks tickets. Gotta save every penny when that city is so stupid expensive.

Jinaar

Oilers tanking is somewhat of a good thing for me. Saves me 3 hrs a game night to do hobbies, catch up on shows and see people. Always a silver lining to be found if you want to find one.

Snaku

Banned
Only day the Panthers are going to be in town this season is this Saturday, and I've got a wedding to attend. Had already bought tickets before I received the invitation too. :(

Quick

Banned
Only day the Panthers are going to be in town this season is this Saturday, and I've got a wedding to attend. Had already bought tickets before I received the invitation too. :(

You know what to do.

Sell the tickets and attend the wedding like a good person, unless you hate the wedding party.

Top Bottom