• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you don't wish to accept the new Steam Subscriber Agreement...

Choc

Banned
Also guys, remember steamworks?

So you don't agree to the TOS, and so you can't buy RETAIL GAMES?

yep............

So because other DD services do it they makes it okay?

They didn't do it. Steam one upped them by not allowing you to download and install games you already purchased while under the old terms while still not offering a refund.

This is a new low in DD.

Detox

Does this apply to the EU, if not what law do you cite? I would love someone from the EU to challenge support in a similar way and see what they do (I accepted already).

Enco

Losing access to my account would be horrendous.

However, there's no way I can own all my games physically. At least no practical way. There's no space and moving would suck ass.

If shit hits the fan I expect piracy rates to soar. Who's gonna re buy all their games?

I'm pretty sure the doctrine of equitable unconscionability comes into play here. You agreed to a contract for services and paid money and then the other side unilaterally changed the terms of the contract with no remedy on your end.
I'm new to this term, but those represent my feelings on the matter pretty well, and towards a lot more than just Steam.

We've been moving from a model of physical property towards digital services, but I'm not seeing any consumer protections or rights as far as these services go. In the case of these services which provide media licenses, we should at least be able to keep those licenses, the rights granted by those licenses, or an equitable refund for revoking those licenses if we don't agree to a service's amended terms. Beyond that a service like this shouldn't be able to unilaterally change the terms while holding our digital rights hostage - original account holders should be kept to the original terms, or provided recompense for their payments. Otherwise it comes across as extortion.

I've said it for a while now, but we really do need a digital service/property based consumer bill of rights.

Nome

So because other DD services do it they makes it okay?
It's not about it being OK, it's about expectations. I have faith that Valve isn't going to try to screw its customers over in overt ways, and don't expect that my account will be disabled anytime soon.

Dead Man

I will not be concelling my games, but it will sure as hell make me think twice before purchasing.

Incidentally, if you have a game on disc that uses steamworks, and your account is cancelled, you won't be able to use that game again, right?

So I am curious how this works.

If I were to download a pirated copy of a game I owned on steam, with proof, that I purchased it and had a license that I am not able to use is illegal. Steam not providing a service while charging me is legal.

This system is really messed up.

I will not be concelling my games, but it will sure as hell make me think twice before purchasing.

Incidentally, if you have a game on disc that uses steamworks, and your account is cancelled, you won't be able to use that game again, right?

Correct, every game that your purchased elsewhere is now tied to steam, you are now at steams mercy.

Choc

Banned
So I am curious how this works.

If I were to download a pirated copy of a game I owned on steam, with proof, that I purchased it and had a license that I am not able to use is illegal. Steam not providing a service while charging me is legal.

This system is really messed up.

Correct, every game that your purchased elsewhere is now tied to steam, you are now at steams mercy.

the only comparison somewhat with this is emulation

if you own a PS1 for example, you can legally obtain a BIOS for it because you have the licence for that bios and have paid for it.

If you don't have the system its illegal to acquire the BIOS. This was upheld in a court of law when Sony tried to shutdown emulation in the States.

So in a way if you can prove you have paid for a licence, in theory you'd be fine but who knows.

its a crazy world where things you buy can be revoked. Do we really want this? really?

mantidor

actually owning the things you buy is so 20th century

Basically.

Lets be honest, we knew it all around, GoG is the way to go for me, even if their catalog isn't as extensive but hell, Good Old Games does really stand up to his name. They are freaking good, I could try to clean my GoG backlog and it would take me several years.

Also the reason I only buy things in Steam when they are dirty cheap, except really special things that can only be acquired trough them or are closely related to them (namely, Portal 2, no other game to be honest).

Sentenza

Yeah, snesLive stopped working and now I can't play super metroid .
Yeah, cause 30 years old games old enough to be considered abandonware and that you can store 200 at once in one single USB flash memory are exactly my main concern thinking of protecting my purchases.

Game Guru

In an alternate universe, maybe, but not in this one -- at least, not for the forseeable future. There's a reason publishers aren't lining up to release their newer titles on the service, and it starts with "DRM" and ends with "free". From a cursory glance at GoG's games list, it seems Ubi is the only large publisher brave enough to release current-gen titles on the service, but even so the most recent one -- Far Cry 2 -- is four years old.

The problem is that the companies who use DRM have to be dragged into DRM-Free, kicking and screaming, much like the music industry had been. Pretty much, just promote indies who refuse to use DRM.

Sentenza

The problem is that the companies who use DRM have to be dragged into DRM-Free, kicking and screaming, much like the music industry had been. Pretty much, just promote indies who refuse to use DRM.
On this, I can easily agree.
Also, american citizens (well, everyone, actually, but this is mostly about them) should really start some lobbying work with consumer right associations to revert these shitty laws they are allowing in the first place.

No wonder corporations are going to "corporate" when they have laws enforcing their abuses.

Sentenza

DIGITAL
FUTURE
It still is the future, no matter how hard you guys are going to overreact over this. It's actually the only possible sustainable future.
Potentially not even a despicable one, as long as you will put your shit together and keep your politicians in check.

Margalis

Banned
Anyone who posts in this thread after me is giving me permission to fuck their wife or girlfriend.

If that is something you do not desire do not post!

Choc

Banned
its not overreacting.

The fact you guys let your consumer rights get trampled so easily is disgusting.

The fact you let a company invalidate all your purchases is ridiculous.

If Valve allowed you to retain teh licences but killed the online portion of steam for your account, no issue

my way or the highway, IS NOT OK. Not unless they are willing to refund. If they aren't in Australia at least, they are breaking consumer laws.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm actually glad people are starting to wake up and smell the coffee on Steam as a whole. Just because Gabe is the head of Valve it doesn't mean they are god or untouchable. Whether intentional or a byproduct, Valve is destructive to PC gaming.

hym

Banned
Do people cherish their right to participate in class action lawsuits that much or is everyone here a lawyer in fear of losing the most profitable scam ever?

You don't lose anything by agreeing to these terms, actually you gain something because Valve will be less vulnerable to legal abuse.

Kurtofan

Do people cherish their right to participate in class action lawsuits that much or is everyone here a lawyer?

You don't lose anything by agreeing to these terms, actually you gain something because Valve will be less vulnerable to legal abuse.

gotta protect corporate interest.

I found a bypass for now if you have dconline.

Disconnect from the internet to start in Offline mode. Close DC Universe Online in windows, aweseome something will still run. Try to change to online mode. It will tell you it's not closed. Stop the awesome process. Retry, your are now logged into steam and can download your content, before being locked out again.

:p

It´s not overreacting to have the discussion and wanting Valve/Steam to change to something even better, but it´s overreacting when you say that you from now on wont use Steam and/or buy Steam games.

I'm actually glad people are starting to wake up and smell the coffee on Steam as a whole. Just because Gabe is the head of Valve it doesn't mean they are god or untouchable. Whether intentional or a byproduct, Valve is destructive to PC gaming.

So far, and it seems like it will continue, they have been the good guys.

*They have established a far more consumer friendly DRM system that essentially killed of stuff like Starforce and continues to make sure that stuff like Securom and limited activations is redundant (that a few console focused companies doesn´t see it is not their fault).

*They are probably the biggest contributor to making sure that PC is a viable gaming platform.

*They are the ones that actually evolves digital distribution by constantly adding new features. Does any competitor have anything similiar to their trading system?

They are not perfect, not by far, but destructive to PC gaming? No, just no.

Lancehead

its not overreacting.

The fact you guys let your consumer rights get trampled so easily is disgusting.

If Valve allowed you to retain teh licences but killed the online portion of steam for your account, no issue

my way or the highway, IS NOT OK. Not unless they are willing to refund. If they aren't in Australia at least, they are breaking consumer laws.

I'd like to know how much publishers have a say in such policies. For example, you can't expect Valve to refund for games that are sold by other publishers.

Choc

Banned
Do people cherish their right to participate in class action lawsuits that much or is everyone here a lawyer?

The class action terms of service is not the problem. The problem is that if you do not agree to the TOS in the future you lose access to all your purchased games.

The fact these new TOS exposed that, is irrelevant. Valve could add anything inpalatable to te TOS now and you lose your games.

Their way or the highway. There is nothing else like it, that i can think of anyway. If you don't like Xbox Live TOS and leave, you still have your games, same with PSN.

sakipon

Anyone who posts in this thread after me is giving me permission to fuck their wife or girlfriend.

Singles-GAF, Girl-GAF and Gay-GAF may safely continue posting. Lesbians beware...

It is. Once I've bought something from a store, the sales man can't really appear behind my door a week later and demand me to sign a new contract less I want my item taken away from me.

Oh well. DD-age still isn't mature enough for me to jump in.

It´s not overreacting to have the discussion and wanting Valve/Steam to change to something even better, but it´s overreacting when you say that you from now on wont use Steam and/or buy Steam games.

How is it over reacting? If a priest rapes a boy, am I over reacting by wanting him removed? As long as I keep my religion then by that logic I should just accept it.

As soon as they add a fee to access the service, everyone will freak out because it has an immediate effect on them. Some people don't realize they are getting rubbed unless they catch you doing it.

Congratulations you have leveled up your STD count. Grats! Is that a Steam achievement?

sazzy

I don't understand people who say 'I trust valve they wouldn't do this to me'.

Newsflash: valve is a private company. It's not your mom or dad or your sibling or your significant other OR your friend. It's a company, which wants to make profits. Like every other company, they care more about profits and saving their asses from legal troubles which is what this new agreement is about.

I really don't understand how people can get emotionally attached to a company.

It's perplexing, sad and hilarious all at the same time.

This is why I only use GOG. Even if they were to go moustache-twirling evil in the future, it doesn't affect me as I have my drm-free installers of every game I purchased backed up.

Stuff like this is why I didn't use steam to begin with, they can just change their mind on something whenever they want and you're sodded.

Choc

Banned

Newsflash: valve is a private company. It's not your mom or dad or your sibling or your significant other OR your friend. It's a company, which wants to make profits. Like every other company, they care more about profits and saving their asses from legal troubles which is what this new agreement is about.

Stockholm Syndrome

Card Boy

Banned

+ 1

Valve fanboyism is worse than console fanboyism. At least with consolites they are fanboys because they are poor edit: because they can't afford other consoles.

Maybe it isn´t harder then Valve earning our trust over a very long timespan?

And them being a private company actually speaks in their favour. If they become public, and shareholders get their say, then I would get really worried.

Nelo Ice

Banned

But Valve or Gabe Newell can do no wrong!

Top Bottom