• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone PR: the 60 Minute Family Plan Revelation

Would have still been a nice feature. I was more excited for ability to play my games without the disc.

Now I'm going to have to double dip.

I'm already getting two copies of Destiny. One for my PS4 (gotta have that exclusive content) and another for my One (which will be my primary console). Now I'm going to have to buy the digital version on Xbox One, so I can keep my game disc in pristine condition.

That's $180.

Then you know stores are going to have exclusive bonuses and collector's editions. Gotta get those too.

Wow. That was pretty much the worst case scenario. The one thing that could have been good about Xbone's DRM was just another way to shove pay walls in your face.

Darknight

I still can't believe anyone thought 1 purchase = 10 people play for free

Blindly following a company does that to you. They exist among us. I find it hilarious that apparently people got banned over this debate? Like what? Why would you do that when there were no hard facts and even MS PR peoples knew nothing concrete so why make assumptions about how "great" it was/would be. It was shady from day 1 unless you were a die hard Xbox dude.

Revven

rkRuNIh.jpg

Don't believe his gies. CBOAT > aegies

nampad

Every day something bad comes out about Microsoft's plans. This is such a huge marketing blunder it's kinda crazy. I wouldn't be surprised to see a book about this in a year or two discussing how to destroy your brand in less than a month.

You have to admit Microsoft did a really good job in delivering an entertainment device. Reading the news on gaf about the latest outrage is just a bliss.
Kinda sad that they have ended it.

freddy

Banned
Sorry, but I'll only believe Arthur Gies when I can see more than the soles of his boots sticking out Microsofts' backside.

Ilive1up

i so would have loved to see microsoft stick to their guns and watch people's reactions after buying a console.

oh, man. that would have been awesome.

fuck microsft still.

Guevara

Something doesn't make sense here, though. Now that the Xbox One supposedly has no more DRM, what's the point in removing such a feature? It's just a one hour demo, not the full game.

It feels like they're scrapping everything different about the console. The going plan seems to be "just like the 360".

vctor182

This is incredible to even consider, could you imagine if they actually had launched with these policies...

Microsoft seems so distant from the company I knew in the past.

Some part of me would like to see this happen just to see the mass revolt. Ingenious idea but omission of this information would have devastated any possibility of wide acceptance.

I should show this to the countless people I know who were trying to convince me that the DRM removal meant the world missing out in this 'ideal' digital gaming future.

B...but! but!! it was all for our own good!! We just didn't knew we wanted to share demos between our friends/family instead of full games!

Something doesn't make sense here, though. Now that the Xbox One supposedly has no more DRM, what's the point in removing such a feature? It's just a one hour demo, not the full game.
I guess because going forward with it and explaining what the family plan was this whole time would have made them the focus of unbelievable derision.

Vodh

To make it sound like the DRM was for a good cause.

They should keep this feature in. 'Allowing' your customers 60 minute trials hardly seems worth getting in a twist about. Don't think you need a 24 hour checkin to prevent the massive abuse that could result from these demos.

People who expected that MS went through so much trouble to lock you out of your used ugames to suddenly allow you to share your games across 10 consoles were dellusional.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
God I almost wish this all happened and came to light at the systems launch. Can you fucking imagine the meltdowns. CAN YOU IMAGINE the bad press? (apart from the press that eat all the shit gladly like famished shitfiends).

Oh well, you can thank us all later Microsoft when you realise we steered you away from a fucking cliff. And no, the cliff wasn't "the future", unless your future was breaking your back, head, and dicks on the jagged rocks of consumer outrage below.

Tamanon

Banned

Because they were hoping that 60 minute fact wouldn't get out once they killed the DRM.

And now they can reintroduce it down the line as an actual feature.

Sean*O

I am just amazed, considering the contempt and indifference MS showed to their customers, that anyone expected them to do anything positive. What people were expecting was the complete opposite of what MS was doing.

They were feeding their user base a steady diet of spent lunch (think about it) and people thought it was because they had a nice steak dinner coming up next.

syko de4d

Now you really know that behind MS Xbox are just alot of Suits. Even if they have now the same DRM as Sony, there is still a really big difference between them.

zewone

You know what's awesome is that a similar feature is already available on PS3 and is coming to PS4 without the need of a "family" member to own the game. lollllll

JABEE

I guess because going forward with it and explaining what the family plan was this whole time would have made them the focus of unbelievable derision.

Exactly. I think they said that something will still come up to let you buy a game after your friend leaves, but them having to explain that they were being purposefully deceptive with their policy statement before would damage the positive impact of their policy reversal.

Jack_AG

Banned
Meanwhile on PS4 Sony wants every game to have a digital version and 1hr trial. I don't think it will be there day 1 but I will be using it.

AS much I love my 360, everything with the Xbox One has been a cluster fuck so far.

I hope they get it all sorted out and things work out for Microsoft and the Xbox team.

Diffense

I NEVER believed for a moment that unlimited sharing of full games with 10 people was ever going to be 'a thing'. Why would they go through so much trouble to implement DRM and then introduce a gaping exploit that allows groups of people to buy new games for $6? lol

McLovin

I would like to hear what the x1 apologists have to say about this. Still feel like gaf, the internet, and anyone with common sense ruined what could have been a truly next gen console?

Top Bottom