• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD speed test thread (HDD/SSHD/SSD/STD)

Why are so many people speaking of this FireCuda HDD? Are there any reviews?

Because it's a hybrid drive. Gives you the speed advantages of an SSD without the costs. I've got a hybrid in my PS3 and i'll never go back. Not only are the load times vastly improved but it's eliminated the texture pop-in that was synonymous with UE3 games. The Uncharted games which took ages to load on a standard drive now take seconds on the hybrid. It really should be a standard for all consoles going forward.
Ah, I thought it was super fast or something.

It is =)

Reviews may be slow to appear because the Firecuda only just started hitting the marketplace, and the Pro is so close to its street date. Definitely sounds like something for DF and the rest to handle though.

Anyone Got a New Full scale report for this - new data ?

sort of settled on a MX300 tb but wondering how it compares to the 850 evo on a game like FFXV / other games ?

TBH the performance at that point isn't benching to be super huge. If you're using a standard PS4 and not a Pro you won't see much of the gain with the Evo over the MX300.

OTOH, the EVO still wins by pure numbers, but for the $70 difference I'm seeing at 1TB sizes... eeeeeeeeeeeh.

Maybesew

Somewhat old thread bump, but I am looking for a SSD for my PS4 pro. anyone have suggestions for the best 500 gb and the best 1tb drives?

Somewhat old thread bump, but I am looking for a SSD for my PS4 pro. anyone have suggestions for the best 500 gb and the best 1tb drives?

Most are pretty much the same performance wise, as it won't take the full advantage of the speed, even though they are still faster than a normal or hybrid drive. No real point in spending too much on a higher end SSD unless you can afford it. I have been using the Sandisk Ultra and other lower cost ones with great success.

I would argue find the cheapest name brand one you can and go for it.

Maybesew

I went with an external passport SSD for $99

it seems to have shaved a few seconds off the madden load times which have been pretty unbearable

Top Bottom