• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Does rev have any speed increasing skills or specs? Otherwise travel is going to be a pain.

Facet of Elements from the Herald Elite specialization gives 3s of swiftness every 3 seconds, so it's basically perma-swiftness. Beyond that, there's some swiftness from the staff orbs and the aforementioned Impossible Odds, so unless you go Herald it looks like it's gonna be Traveler's Runes.

The top comment mentions the same patch note I quoted but it's not really the topic of discussion on that thread. That thread is just full of people whining about ascended insignias increasing in cost, but I'm talking about non-ascended stuff, which, as far as I can tell, has not changed, even though the patch said they would require less cloth.

Don't they require more leather, while needing less cloth? That would offset the price back again wouldn't it?

tumblr_mavkhbcyxq1rhy3cmo1_50011.gif

I... LIVE... AGAIN

Time for more stuff. all the stuff
So...you're creating a Revenant ;p
I think it was cloth numbers on anything below ascended.
:( I was going to say please god let this knock down the laughably preposterous amount of Silk you need to make Bolts of Damask. What really kills me is that lord knows how much I sold on the trading post to free up inventory space in the past...
Does rev have any speed increasing skills or specs? Otherwise travel is going to be a pain.
I gave it a test run last night and what I do while waiting to unlock Herald is use Impossible Odds. It gives you super speed and if you're just running around avoiding fights, even though it's not overly long it recharges quickly. Works pretty well. Once you get Herald, you can use one of Glint's skills to upkeep swiftness. Unless that's only for allies, I forget but I think you get it too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know I've fallen off the side of the Earth regarding GW2 (in my defense, there's exactly 0 computers that can run it in my house right now, I'm writing this from my Wii U), but I just read about the action camera, and it seems downright amazing for what Hawkian and I did regarding playing with a controller.
IT IS!
So much so that most of the hacks we had to implement should be superseded and indeed much improved by it. Hell, I would't be surprised if one no longer needed AutoHotkey at all and could play just with XPadder!
NO LONGER NEEDED!

Vena

Not quite roleplaying wise but lore-wise, could you imagine the Revenant as being your old GW1 character returning from the Mists? :p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Thinking of poking my head back into this, but I only put a dozen or so hours into it so far. Am I going to be missing too much if I go back in without buying Heart of Thorns, or is most of the content that would matter stuff I won't encounter for another few dozen levels anyway?

Not quite roleplaying wise but lore-wise, could you imagine the Revenant as being your old GW1 character returning from the Mists? :p

I kinda could because all my toons from both games start with Squalls haha So I had trouble locking down a name for my Rev leading up to release but almost instantly thought of one I was happy with when the screen was up. I always try to choose a word that fits the mood or a particular quality in a person that fits with the profession. My Mesmer is Squalls Deception, Guardian is Squalls Courage, Elementalist Squalls Wrath but with Revenant I was trying to decide whether to focus on the motivation of returning from beyond and how the name is usually referring to something coming back from the dead for revenge or if I wanted to focus on enlightenment and abilities gained from the beyond. I considered Squalls Wisdom but in the end, he is Squalls Vengeance

Anno

Thinking of poking my head back into this, but I only put a dozen or so hours into it so far. Am I going to be missing too much if I go back in without buying Heart of Thorns, or is most of the content that would matter stuff I won't encounter for another few dozen levels anyway?

The vast majority of HoT stuff is aimed at level 80, so there's no rush.

Hedge

Revenants channel the mists, they aren't from there as I understand it. You can't actually time-travel with the mists.

_woLf

Is anyone else not getting much audio in the pre-rendered cinematics? The major one in the Torn from the Sky mission only had quiet background music and some voice over. Seemed like it was missing other stuff...

Dunlop

Can i get an invite

dunlop.1654

Have 2 80's that I have not played in a billion years, starting over to decide if I want back into the game so if there is some guild limit feel free not to take me ; )

Ashodin

I just I'm floored

halloween skins

collections

story

DEs

everything

AHHH

OK I want to do an emblem vote

s0jSRd0.gif
BnXxViU.gif
7ujkwZ9.gif
N7RYUbc.gif
KGaXnsG.gif
72FqRWF.gif

I've always not liked our emblem as much (the only thing about the guild I wish was cooler) so I want people to vote on which one you think we should change it to. You can vote for the old one if you like. I've picked six here based on what I think the guild represents now. I particularly like the second one from the left because you can still see "N G" in the tribal-ish design.

78/415 online wow

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pretty sweet that the whole UI fades on the character select screen if you just wait now, for screenshots

s0jSRd0.gif
BnXxViU.gif
7ujkwZ9.gif
N7RYUbc.gif
KGaXnsG.gif
72FqRWF.gif

I've always not liked our emblem as much (the only thing about the guild I wish was cooler) so I want people to vote on which one you think we should change it to. You can vote for the old one if you like. I've picked six here based on what I think the guild represents now. I particularly like the second one from the left because you can still see "N G" in the tribal-ish design.

78/415 online wow
I always liked our 'Red Panda' emblem. We took one of the original choices, rotated it upside-down, and got that. We're likely the only guild to use the emblem that way. The only thing I would change if possible are the colors to match the website logo's colors.

deoee

I played this at release for 1 month and was one of the first max lvl chars on my server.
But the endgame especially the dungeons with the "aggro" system did not appeal to me.

I guess I will give the main game a try again :)
Any tips for someone who hasn't played in... erm was it 3/4 years? :D

Vena

Revenants channel the mists, they aren't from there as I understand it. You can't actually time-travel with the mists.

Not time travel. A revenant is a spirit from the past come back to life (or a ghost of sort). I was thinking more along the lines of the wanderlust spirit of the "mysterious hero of the past" for humans being, effectively, a spring-board for the Revenant being the/your old hero as head cannon. (This would be especially in line with the way the old hero's lore is presented at the Hall. The hero effectively just disappears after all of their accomplishments. This is especially true with the Cantha lore after the extra content since you are extremely intertwined with the rise of the Ministry that eventually leads to the closure of the empire.)

Of course this depends on how the Revenant story is actually presented. If its just a "hero touched by the mists" then obviously it doesn't really work (unless you go at it from a possession point of view). But you could definitely build the lore for these (if human) to be the old legendary heroes as they would have, by default, been attuned/interacted with all of the spirits you channel. (I don't think they'd do it, but they do give Sylvari a lot of extra lore extensions from the other races, would be a neat way to tie back to Humans.)

Technically from a complete lore stand-point, the original Tyrian heroes (and those from Cantha) from Prophecies interacted with greatly and/or killed every single one of the spirits and were exceptionally attuned to Glint's favor.

Vena

If they did let us play our old heroes from GW1 in an expansion they must not be allowed to jump or dodge.

Well not really playing as them (as they are must weaker than modern day, magic infused heroes...except for the Ascension part). But playing as their repurposed ghosts, basically.

The Revenant of an old hero would be like a more "free" and "conscious" version of the Ascalonian Ghosts. (And again, the heroes from Prophecies are tied directly to Rurik and his sword... which make Ghost people apparently.)

Syril

I played this at release for 1 month and was one of the first max lvl chars on my server.
But the endgame especially the dungeons with the "aggro" system did not appeal to me.

Read up on the current trait system because they totally changed how you get traits and utility skills.

Forget aggro systems. Just watch what's going on, and trust your teammates know what they're doing. See what damage you can mitigate with blocks or stuns, what you need to dodge as a last resort (or if you have endurance to spare). Watch bosses, and see if they have any tells, and any aggro triggers (some bosses will instantly refocus on people reviving, for example). And what people considered the 'endgame' was, when the game launched, is no longer the case. There's now a lot more to do, with more variety, when you hit max level. Especially with this xpac, since all its content is level 80.

And enjoy yourself! The game's come a long way over the last 3 years, with big changes to the combat, balance and difficulty curves of a lot of things. Better tutorials too, to explain things many people overlook. It's worth checking it out again.

Ashodin

I always liked our 'Red Panda' emblem. We took one of the original choices, rotated it upside-down, and got that. We're likely the only guild to use the emblem that way. The only thing I would change if possible are the colors to match the website logo's colors.

now I can't unsee

Wanderer5

Ugh it seems like most of the hero points in VB at least need a group to finish them.

Well anyway so moved forward with the story, and just finished the first quest that you do in Auric Basin. The last third of that quest was pretty damn fun.

Some responses of this quest and the last one that are course spoilers!

Nooooo Eir, yet I not really that much surprise. I had a feeling way back in Point of No Return, that she could be a goner lol. Still through that was touching scene with Braham mourning. Then there was Faolain too which course screws up everything but pays the price lol. Didn't expect her to get the chopping block so fast, through.... I like that the nightmare court wants nothing with Mordremoth. Make sense considering their wanting freedom.

Next up, there was Caithe and a wanderer! Then there was creepy monster Foalain.XD

Wallach

s0jSRd0.gif
BnXxViU.gif
7ujkwZ9.gif
N7RYUbc.gif
KGaXnsG.gif
72FqRWF.gif

78/415 online wow

Agreed about our current emblem. The last one here is the one I like the most.

Soulflarz

Banned

s0jSRd0.gif
BnXxViU.gif
7ujkwZ9.gif
N7RYUbc.gif
KGaXnsG.gif
72FqRWF.gif

78/415 online wow

2nd or last

Alex

Man, what did they do to leveling. Like most of the content is gone, those big outdoor dungeons and stuff are just... poof, just a glorified hole in the wall now. Flows better now but... weird.

Like a lot of the changes though. I like this vanity system but it's pretty strict on the currency. Doesn't seem like you can use it while leveling, that's a bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom