• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Giacchino posts Clip from Spider-Man Homecoming OST -> Classic Theme

MisterHero

I'll wait for the original score, but for now I'd rather give Spidey one big hug

As for Giacchino's work, liked Star Trek, loved Speed Racer

It is iconic, but that doesn't fix the fact that it was originally composed for a cheap 60s cartoon. The Danny Elfman theme is a superior piece of music, and I of wish it could come back in the future.

It is iconic, but that doesn't fix the fact that it was originally composed for a cheap 60s cartoon. The Danny Elfman theme is a superior piece of music, and I of wish it could come back in the future.

It's not meant to be superior. It's a quick nod. And Danny's music should stay in that series. New series, new composer, new theme :p

Gonna queue up the R1 score now and listen again.

Oh if only more people would do this sometimes.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Finally listened to the clip in the OP. That was a lot of fun.

Giacchino is an insanely talented composer, and he generally manages to produce some damn quality scores in short amounts of time. I've enjoyed his work in pretty much everything I've seen that he's scored. I haven't seen everything he's worked on, but the fairly long sample size I've absorbed, he's in pretty high esteem as far as my faith in him delivering a solid, emotional score goes.

Rogue One's theme was awesome IMO

Although it's very similar to his Yorkstown theme it's good regardless. Very emotional, although I know there are some people who don't like Giacchino's seeming inability to do heroic marches these days, he's does emotional themes well, even if his piano chords make it obvious he's composed it.

jb1234

Although it's very similar to his Yorkstown theme it's good regardless. Very emotional, although I know there are some people who don't like that Giacchino's inability to do heroic marches these days, he's does emotional themes well, even if his piano chords make it obvious he's composed it.

I still haven't quite gotten over how similar it is to the Yorktown theme, honestly. I keep hearing a different score in my head every time I hear it. That said, it works very well for the two most emotional parts of the movie (
Dad dying and Jyn dying.

I still haven't quite gotten over how similar it is to the Yorktown theme, honestly. I keep hearing a different score in my head every time I hear it. That said, it works very well for the two most emotional parts of the movie (
Dad dying and Jyn dying.

Honestly most composers have several similar sounding themes if you go through their entire work. There are only a few composers I can think of who managed to keep it fresh as much as they could (Goldsmith, Williams, Mancini, Bernstein, North, & Schifrin, among others, all come to mind, based off what I've listened to), and even then they've "repeated" themselves from time to time, so I can't really fault Giacchino for that, especially given his time schedule.

While I liked the score, I'll gladly admit a lot of the film was scored way too "epic" so to say. The finale scene was perfectly done though, he really brought the emotions during that moment, and it fit the scene well.

Track list. Will spoil for the super hyper sensitive:

1. Spider-Man Television Theme

2. The World is Changing

3. Academic Decommitment

4. High Tech Heist

5. On a Ned-To-Know Basis

6. Drag Racing / An Old Van Rundown

7. Webbed Surveillance

8. No Vault of His Own

9. Monumental Meltdown

10. The Baby Monitor Protocol

11. A Boatload of Trouble Part 1

12. A Boatload of Trouble Part 2

13. Ferry Dust Up

14. Stark Raving Mad

15. Pop Vulture

16. Bussed a Move

17. Lift Off

18. Fly-By-Night Operation

19. Vulture Clash

20. A Stark Contrast

21. No Frills Proto COOL!

22. Spider-Man: Homecoming Suite

11 and 12 sound epic.

eizarus

Banned
Nice update to the old school theme. Feels a bit meh for a movie, but maybe it will go really well with the movie. I loved Giacchino's work on Dr Strange, so I'll stay optimistic.
Crazy how that 37 seconds sounded better than anything from the DCU so far.
Fanboyism creeping in, I see.

Top Bottom