• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: Capcom Acknowledges Mixed Reaction To Dead Rising 4

Like, here's the thing with that line:

There's approachable

And there's looking at ubisoft and warner and hitting ctrl+p followed by ctrl+v

Capcom did the latter. People who want ubisoft bought ubisoft and didn't bother with dead rising. People who wanted warner kept playing batman, mordor, or mad max. Now the people who, God for fucking bid, wanted a dead rising game? They took one look at the game, noticed it wasn't dead rising, and stayed at home.

Considering how many times this exact scenario has played out over the years, I have to question the acumen of the people in charge of making this game on the high management level. I mean what the Fuck did they expect to happen? People would suddenly notice they were missing mad max the game with zombies and that dude from gta v in their lives and go out and buy 5 million copies of the game?
The worst part is, this is not the first time Capcom has tried this and it has never, ever fucking worked. They simply refuse to learn from their own mistakes.

Hellraider

I blame Keji Inafune for the mess that Capcom is today. Of course Capcom is still at fault by not turning around this sinking ship fast enough. I can only hope RE7 seems to be a good first step in the right direction. Next up please fix Devil May Cry.

Inafune's post Capcom career hate affecting people's perception of his work when he was making decisions at Capcom annoys me. For every bad decision that he was behind at the time, there were a couple of excellent ones. Won't go into details, but when all the other JP publishers were running around with their pants on fire having absolutely no idea what to do, Capcom had already set foot on the HD market with huge success alongside the Western publishers. Capcom at the time wasn't perfect, but the decline that we are witnessing today happened immediately after Inafune's departure.

Today's Capcom isn't where they are because of Inafune's mistakes 10 years ago. They are here because of the clusterfucks they manage to deliver pretty much daily for the past 7 years.

This is Capcom. They do this kind of thing all the time.

Capcom Acknowledges Mixed Reaction To Lost Planet 3
Capcom Acknowledges Mixed Reaction To DmC
Capcom Acknowledges Mixed Reaction To Street Fighter V
Capcom Acknowledges Mixed Reaction To Monster Hunter 5
Capcom Acknowledges Mixed Reaction To Dragon's Dogma 2
Capcom Acknowledges Mixed Reaction To Castlevania 5

danmaku

The worst part is, this is not the first time Capcom has tried this and it has never, ever fucking worked. They simply refuse to learn from their own mistakes.

It worked for Resident Evil, duh. The zombie games market is super crowded, though, so making another game that's just like every other zombie game out there without a big name on the cover wasn't exactly smart.

Murkas

No shit.

We all saw this coming from a mile away. We saw this with RE6 and DmC. People who scream loudly to change features that make a game series unique are outnumbered by the actual fans of the game. So the actual fans don't buy it because why the fuck would they, and the vocal minority will play it once and move on to the next game that holds their attention span.

If From Software mass audience'd Souls games we'd get the same thing.
If Capcom mass audience'd REmake 2 by making it a shootfest we'd get the same thing.

Can we name games that strayed from its roots, appealed to the mass audience and was successful? I can think of Fallout and Elder Scrolls maybe.

Also CV are all right as evidenced by DR2 and OTR. But the producer of DR4 in all those interviews, fucking hell.

Developers need to take note of IOI and what they did to Hitman Absolution, and then how they went back and gave us Hitman 2016.

This is Capcom. They do this kind of thing all the time.

Capcom Acknowledges Mixed Reaction To Monster Hunter 5

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Capcom Acknowledges Mixed Reaction To Dragon's Dogma 2

:(

Capcom Acknowledges Mixed Reaction To Castlevania 5

???

Mman235

Like I've said before, it's not even the changes themselves that put me off, it's the fact that everything was justified with "focus testing showed this". I might not like them but I could have respected the changes if they were part of an actual vision, but they clearly weren't. Everything I've seen makes it obvious it's a grotesque chimera of everyone's vision except the developers, with nothing to bind those thoughts together into something coherent (which the first Dead Rising games certainly had regardless of anything else).

Jawmuncher

No shit.

We all saw this coming from a mile away. We saw this with RE6 and DmC. People who scream loudly to change features that make a game series unique are outnumbered by the actual fans of the game. So the actual fans don't buy it because why the fuck would they, and the vocal minority will play it once and move on to the next game that holds their attention span.

If From Software mass audience'd Souls games we'd get the same thing.
If Capcom mass audience'd REmake 2 by making it a shootfest we'd get the same thing.

Can we name games that strayed from its roots, appealed to the mass audience and was successful? I can think of Fallout and Elder Scrolls maybe.

Also CV are all right as evidenced by DR2 and OTR. But the producer of DR4 in all those interviews, fucking hell.

Developers need to take note of IOI and what they did to Hitman Absolution, and then how they went back and gave us Hitman 2016.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

:(

???

Lots of people bought RE6 though

Like I've said before, it's not even the changes themselves that put me off, it's the fact that everything was justified with "focus testing showed this". I might not like them but I could have respected the changes if they were part of an actual vision, but they clearly weren't. Everything I've seen makes it obvious it's a grotesque chimera of everyone's vision except the developers, with nothing to bind those thoughts together into something coherent (which the first Dead Rising games certainly had regardless of anything else).

I mean, at least the devs and Capcom were upfront about it needing to sell more hence the focus testing, but when has this ever worked for a big videogame sequel?

fhqwhgads

Here's hoping this is the last time Capcom tries to homogenise one of their series in a desperate attempt to get more fans. They seriously can't be stupid enough to do this again after how many times they've messed it up, right?

Phoenix Wright Waifu Simulator game coming later this year, you can bet on it

ryan13ts

The game was garbage, plain and simple. By trying to appeal to the mass audience instead of the actual fans who buy these games, they ruined one of my favorite franchises to come out of last generation. Surprisingly, the timer wasn't the biggest deal, and honestly it wouldn't have mattered considering the length of the game, which is truly pathetic. It was the brain dead difficulty/overabundance of life+regen, lack of variety in gameplay/skills comparison to previous games, and a boring story that ruined the characterization of Frank West and gave us one of the worst endings ever that truly made this game abysmal.

Oh, and it was buggy as shit. Easily one of the gilitchest games I ever played

I hope Capcom paid attention to the initial backlash and realized that this "mixed reaction" (ie: Everyone thinks it sucked) is a results of watering down a franchise to appeal to people that didn't like the series for what it was initially anyways. If they ever make a DR5 after this fiasco, they better give to to a competent group and make it a true Dead Rising game.

EmiPrime

Oh, and it was buggy as shit. Easily one of the gilitchest games I ever played

The first time I played the game about 10 minutes in Vic just stopped in a doorway and wouldn't move, blocking progression (for those who haven't played it, the first chapter of the game is completely linear and heavily scripted). After a couple of minutes of jumping into her I finally managed to clip through and trigger a cut-scene.

JayBabay

Watching that Crowbcat youtube video tells me that approachability was not the only issue with Dead Rising 4. Seems like corners were cut in other places as well.

I've given up with this company now. Haven't bought a game of theirs new in almost half a decade now. RE6 was the final straw.

Their logo used to signify quality, now it just signifies mediocrity and disappointment to me.

OniBaka

Isn't it deemed a failure in both, sales and reception (despite many people buying it)?

I see.
Doubt it, I'm sure there are more people that enjoyed the game then people hating it, they just the vocal minority.

Also people saying original dead rising fans hate 4 because there's no timer is like saying devil may cry fans hated DmC because of the hair.

Just make Dead Rising 5 like the first two.

It's not like Capcom Vancouver doesn't know how; they made the second game. I continue to believe that Off The Record is the best Dead Rising yet.

DSmalls84

The timer didn't bother as much as the lack of interesting psycho fights. Overall I enjoyed the game but Still thought the others were better.

Alebrije

When previous games are better even on a graphical detail level, you know you spoiled a franchise.

This is a similar case like Fallout 4. Vs Las Vegas.

KodiakGT

There is a difference between accepting constructive criticism in a few areas and designing your entire game around the concept of "what people want". It is abundantly obvious that they had no vision for this game.

I'm pretty sure this is the only game I've ever intentionally boycotted in all my years of gaming.

Top Bottom