• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

Only thing that remained, was the enormous laugh of the Team Rocket members who were already sailing away from the Island, with the skins of the dead Pokémon.

Verelious was killed during the night!

nin1000, Melonrabbit, Dusk Soldier and StanleyPalmtree were all brutally killed!

Team Rocket members roytheone, Fireblend, Sawneeks, Lone_Prodigy and Blargonaut have won the game!

Role PM's coming little later. You can talk in thread now.

IM8kXB2.gif
lvdiw7b.gif
IM8kXB2.gif

VfOtSIO.png

<3 you Burb :p

GG Team
cV4eINQ.gif
! ;D

L_P and Fireblend? called it.
Roy? im not surprised.

but Sawneeks?
dayam

dayaaaaaaaaaaaaam

that one i wouldnt have thought, like ever.

nice game people,

and sorry for my pretty abysmal performance in those first few days.

Ynnek did us a huge favour by killing Sketch and not Sawneeks. 3 fewer votes that night got us to lylo much faster.

Also I found it funny that Stanley was roleblocked and tracked the same night he forgot to send in his action.

excuse me while i just trip over my shoelaces and as such dodge a bullet.

Burbeting

Banned
Nin1000:

Ordinary role PM + this one later:

Burbeting said:
"YAAAS! SLAY QUEEEEEN!"
"GO GET THEM GAGAAAA <333"
"SLAY QUEEEEEEEN!!!"

Oh, those words... they are like magic to your ears. All of your fans cheering you on, as you are walking towards a new challenge, a new source of inspiration for your new song after NeoGAF decided to dislike your newest hot single "The Perfect Illusion..."

Indeed, it is time for you, Lady Gaga, to show the world your might as the next Pokémon Master!

You are Lady Gaga, a Pokémon Trainer!

You are aligned with Pokémon living in the Island (which means TOWN).

However, you are also aligned with The Pokémon Team of Lady Gaga!

During the night, you may throw a Pokéball at a player with the command POKÉBALL: (Player). If all conditions are met, the Pokémon will be caught, and will be given the alignment of The Pokémon Team of Lady Gaga, while still retaining also their pre-existing alignment. You will receive a PM confirmation if the recruitment was successful or not. However, note that you can only catch Pokémon that haven't been caught yet by other trainer(s). You cannot be caught in a Pokéball yourself.

Once the Pokémon is caught, they will be informed about being added to your Pokémon team, and they will be informed about your identity. However, the Pokémon who join your team won't know the identity of each other.

If you are killed during the game, your Pokémon team cannot grow any bigger. However, if you die, your Pokémon will be told about each others identities, and shall be granted an access to a secret Team Chat. Also, if you are killed during the first night while you are recruiting your first Pokémon, that recruited Pokémon will inherit your Pokémon Trainer status. Please note, that this inheritance will only happen, if you during the first night.

During this game, you will have a normal win condition, but also a Superior win condition:

Normal Win Condition:You will win as part of the town, if all of the forces that may disrupt the town have been defeated.

Superior Win Condition: However, you will be granted a superior victory over all other groups, if during the end of the game, your Pokémon team is the bigger when compared to other town factions. You can try to reach this special Superior Win Condition only, if the normal win condition is also fulfilled.

Game thread is here: www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277820

Melonrabbit:

Burbeting said:
Welcome to NeoGAF Island, full of wonderous Pokémon. What type of Pokémon might you be…?

Oh, I remember now!

You are Onix (#095), a Rock Type Pokémon!

You can Protect players during nights with the command HARDEN: (Player).
If someone tries to kill the player you are protecting, they shall be saved.

You cannot self-target, and you can't target any player two times in a row.

You can be caught by the Pokémon trainer into a Pokéball. If this happens, you will be informed with a PM.

You will win if all of the forces that may disrupt the town have been defeated.

StanleyPalmtree:

Burbeting said:
Welcome to NeoGAF Island, full of wonderous Pokémon. What type of Pokémon might you be…?

Oh, I remember now!

You are Pikachu (#025), an Electric Type Pokémon!

During night, you can try to search for a Pokémon trainer with the command PIKACHU-SEARCH: (Player).

If your target is a trainer, you will join their team. If not, nothing happens. Once you join a team, you may no longer use your power.

Please note, that you cannot be caught by any other means, than you finding a Pokémon trainer with your search. Also, if all Pokémon trainers end up dead, your power will be useless.

You will win if all of the forces that may disrupt the town have been defeated.

Dusk Soldier and Verelious were ordinaries. Dusk was in a team, Verelious was not.

Burbeting

Banned
Roytheone:

Burbeting said:
*In the Team Rocket secret hideout*

"Oh, won't you look at that! There is so much Pokémon on this weird island... of NeoGAF."
"Heh! That's true! We can catch them, kill them and sell their skins for some valuable cash!"

It was an evil plan of pure evil, and the Team Rocket members knew it. And it was so god damn awesome!

You are Jessie, a Human Team Rocket Member
You are aligned with Team Rocket, which means the SCUM.

Team Rocket members share a secret Team Rocket chat. Any of the Team Rocket members can submit a faction kill with the command KILL: (Player).

In addition to that, you have a 2-shot Strongman power. You use one shot by submitting a night command of STRONGMAN: (Player). This command is used as the faction kill that night. This kill will definitely kill it's target, and cannot be blocked by any means.

The other Team Rocket Members are:
Fireblend (James)
Sawneeks (Caterpie)
Lone_Prodigy (Tauros)
Blargonaut (Klang)

As you are a human, you cannot be caught by a Pokémon Trainer.

You will win once the Team Rocket members are the majority (50% or more) of the playerbase still in the game.

Team Rocket chat is here: http://outergafia.com/board/227/team-rockets-super-obvious-hideout

Fireblend:

Burbeting said:

"Oh, won't you look at that! There is so much Pokémon on this weird island... of NeoGAF."
"Heh! That's true! We can catch them, kill them and sell their skins for some valuable cash!"

It was an evil plan of pure evil, and the Team Rocket members knew it. And it was so god damn awesome!

You are James, a Human Team Rocket Member

Team Rocket members share a secret Team Rocket chat. Any of the Team Rocket members can submit a faction kill with the command KILL: (Player).

In addition to that, you have a 2-shot Ninja power. You use one shot by submitting a night command of NINJA: (Player). This command is used as the faction kill that night. This kill cannot be traced by anyone or anything.

roytheone (Jessie)
Sawneeks (Caterpie)
Lone_Prodigy (Tauros)
Blargonaut (Klang)

As you are a human, you cannot be caught by a Pokémon Trainer.

You will win once the Team Rocket members are the majority (50% or more) of the playerbase still in the game.

Team Rocket chat is here: http://outergafia.com/board/227/team-rockets-super-obvious-hideout

Sawneeks:

Burbeting said:

You are Caterpie (#010), a Bug Type Pokémon, who is also a member of Team Rocket!

You also have the power of a Roleblocker. By sending the command "BLOCK: (Player)" you can block them during that night phase, so that they cannot use their power.

roytheone (Jessie)
Fireblend (James)
Lone_Prodigy (Tauros)
Blargonaut (Klang)

As you are a Pokémon, you can be caught by a Pokémon Trainer to join their team.

If this happens, you will be informed with additional information. Please note, that if you are caught to a Pokémon team, you will lose your posting access in the Team Rocket Chat. You will be able to read the chat even if you are part of a Pokémon team though, and your posting access will be returned, if both Jessie and James are dead.

Lone_Prodigy:

Burbeting said:

You are Tauros (#128), a Normal Type Pokémon, who is also a member of Team Rocket!

You don't have any special powers. This means that you are basically a Goon.

roytheone (Jessie)
Fireblend (James)
Sawneeks (Caterpie)
Blargonaut (Klang)

As you are a Pokémon, you can be caught by a Pokémon Trainer to join their team.

If this happens, you will be informed with additional information. Please note, that if you are caught to a Pokémon team, you will lose your posting access in the Team Rocket Chat. You will be able to read the chat even if you are part of a Pokémon team though, and your posting access will be returned, if both Jessie and James are dead.

Burbeting

Banned
MVP:

Sawneeks

I was trying to decide on scum mvp and town mvp, only to realise that Sawneeks would take both spots, even though she was scum, lol. Excellent play, even when her posting access to scum chat was removed after being recruited to Pokémon team.

Burbeting

Banned
Commentary:

That was a... very clean sweep by scum. Only scum lynch was Blarg, and even he had the Vengeful role (first time in Gafia, I think?).

I feel that town deserved to lose this one. The lynches in D2, 3 and 4 were all very sub-optimal, and there wasn't any serious discussion about possible SK after el topo died, and no connection was thought on why Topo and Christina both died. Ynnek got the easy route this time :D.

Sawneeks

Banned
Melon was the Doc???????

shit

knew i should have listened to my gut on that one...

Ohhhh there's all the analysis from CM that I was missing. Right there in the private chat -.-

Speaking of the Chat/Trainers, I'm surprised no one pointed out that the Trainer PM states that the Superior Win is against 'other town factions' and not just 'other Trainers'. Just by the wording it would have been an easy guess to say all Trainers were Town. :x

Sawneeks was such an awesome player. MVP!

MVP:

Sawneeks

I was trying to decide on scum mvp and town mvp, only to realise that Sawneeks would take both spots, even though she was scum, lol. Excellent play, even when her posting access to scum chat was removed after being recruited to Pokémon team.

/)w(\

Ah, thank you! And to those who said kind words in the Spec thread as well, I really appreciate them. Thank you. c:

I think the game was pretty well balanced but scum hitting the trainers early (2 were dead by the end of D3) and general apathy among town really scuttled things.

Were trainers meant to operate as a pseudo-cop? I know we floated that idea in scum chat.

I wish someone caught me. :(

GG, everyone.

Sorry I was the worst doctor ever. It was my first time. I really didn't know who to protect last night :(

I knew I was right about Sawneeks and LP being rotten.

Ty4on

*clap clap clap*

Congratulations! Town was straight up outplayed by scum and Ynnek. Sawneeks is my MVP and did a really good job faking reads, but everybody played really well.

Ohhhh there's all the analysis from CM that I was missing. Right there in the private chat -.-
I would've maybe targeted you N2 if you hadn't fake claimed veteran. Wanted a Danganronpa reunion :p

Ty4on

GG, everyone.

Sorry I was the worst doctor ever. It was my first time. I really didn't know who to protect last night :(

Surviving to end game is pretty good for a doctor regardless. Two strongman kills also countered you pretty well and none of us had a clue that the neutral killer had to target captured Pokemons.

Surviving to end game is pretty good for a doctor regardless. Two strongman kills also countered you pretty well and none of us had a clue that the neutral killer had to target captured Pokemons.

Yeah. I just feel bad. I wanted to play a bit better.

*Splinter

I am now ready to answer possible questions about game balance. Game design doc will be up shortly.
I feel like the setup favoured scum a bit, but it's hard to say as I feel every town PR was wasted.

Celebrity - lynched
Tracker - incomplete claim leading to death. The timing of this also meant that Sawneek's didn't get any suspicion for surviving when she should have been a top candidate that night
Commuter - Didn't absorb any scum actions, got tied to a bulletproof claim before late game
Doctor - didn't save anyone, I don't know if this was bad picks or just bad luck though, haven't seen her targets
Also a double vote and whatever Stan was, but I don't really consider these PRs

Our main PRs for scumhunting were tracker and doctor, and I think it was overkill for scum to have counters to both (I know they have to choose but still).

Also a 5 man scum team is apparently standard for a 23 player game. But with a serial killer AND a scum double kill (vengeful) its maybe a bit much? At least for such a weak town. (Compare to DR, we had 4 scum and more town PRs to worry about (not that DR was perfect)).

On the other hand there were the trainers. I don't know. I definitely underestimated their utility until I was dead, but it was also hard to trust they were all town (especially when they had slight variations). If you wanted us to "guess" this from "all town factions" then I think you should have just made this more explicit... but then that's crazy OP. Ok I don't know the best way to handle trainers. Tbh I think it would make more sense if they were in fact different alignments.

This last bit is maybe personal preference rather than balance concern, but I really didn't like the "stronger win condition" stuff. It would make sense in the context of some kind of league, but we don't really do that here. I think this needed to be replaced with a tangible in-game benefit (for the currently largest team(s)) so that it's influence/value could be discussed.

I guess I haven't asked any questions, but these were my thoughts anyway.

Gorlak

Banned
GG, everyone.

You did fine, you managed to walk the thin line between being suspicious but not being lynched which is crucial for a PR. But one thing I wanted to tell you: even though scum didn't figure you out, don't jump on players who mention the doc right away. It was pretty obvious in my eyes especially since you did it twice afair. The one conversation with Blarg "how would you know what the doc is going to do??" was pretty telling.

I put you in my town reads because of that during D3. This leads to my next question directed at everyone:
When I'm 90% sure to have found the doctor or any other PR and want to help him, what do I do? In hindsight putting her (and Dusk whom I believed to be the vig) as my top town doesn't look like the best course of actions as it sheds light on them. Scum could focus on it ala why does he but them as top town? Does he know something we don't? So how to support town PR in this kind of situations (other than drawing the NK on yourself ;p)

Burbeting

Banned
The trainer alignments were made ambigious on purpose.

And yeah, the superior win condition didn't play put in the end. Part of it was because all trainers died early outside nin :D.

Ty4on

p.s. Ty if you are still around I wanted to ask why you picked me for the Mason Chat. Always been curious. :x

I was initially trying to capture someone who was town, unlikely to be hit by other trainers and likely to live to the end initially with CM, but I realized that town win was alpha omega regardless so I wanted to captured active players who could aid town.

I asked Splinter a lot about his top town read because I was suspecting he was a trainer and wanted to avoid his target.

I went back and forth and inevitably just realized I wanted to capture you the most and was over-thinking it. Danganronpa reunion was a plus :p

roytheone

For what? I don't understand this theory at all, can you please explain it to me?

We would have to come up with an explanation for it, and claiming trainer or caught Pokemon was impossible since that is easy to check. Especially after blargs flip outed there being non human scum, if Nin tried to catch me or fire I see no real way we could have talked ourselves out of that.

The most egregious error by the doctor was not protecting the tracker the night he claimed, even if scum used their strongman. But melon did fine as we suspected Verelios as the doc for the longest time (even after blocking melon one night).

Maybe the issue in this game is the same one that was in PiR, which was overestimating the importance of gossips. I suppose in a perfect world you'd have multiple confirmed teams working together to hunt scum, but after it backfired spectacularly in PiR (recency bias also didn't help), it didn't do anything for town.

That, and as Splinter said, the town PR's were wasted (celebrity lynched, tracker didn't track anything despite trainers, scum, and SK). Also I think the trainer mechanic hurt town more than it helped (was TR a trainer, are there scum Pokemon, alignment changes, superior win, etc.). We saw a similar situation in PiR with bidding and items. What's unknown is suspicious.

Maybe GAFia just likes their standard mafia games? :p

*Splinter

Don't read Heist
Yeah vanilla is not good for town :p

Town needs something to talk about, but with these mechanics (and the same happened in PiR) the discussion generated isn't at all helpful for scumhunting. It's all "what's going on?" which, if anything, is even easier for scum to blend in with than nothing.

Thinking back to past games for counterexamples:

WDiotL had several PRs that would interact with each other
Archer had missions and anyone could see what scum would like to do to influence them (I think?)
Danganronpa had the map and PRs seeing each other every night
Matrix/Mini Mafia has extra info about the setup

My memory is failing me, but basically I think town needs something to get started. Either more PRs that bounce off each other or a game mechanic that directly aids scumhunting

agreed,
i know my biggest problem with this game is how the trainers werea completely mystery, so far too much time was spent speculating what they could possibly be/do, which left far too little scum hunting.

iirc Day 3 in particular was almost completely consumed by mechanic speculation.

Sophia

The most egregious error by the doctor was not protecting the tracker the night he claimed, even if scum used their strongman. But melon did fine as we suspected Verelios as the doc for the longest time (even after blocking melon one night).

Maybe the issue in this game is the same one that was in PiR, which was overestimating the importance of gossips. I suppose in a perfect world you'd have multiple confirmed teams working together to hunt scum, but after it backfired spectacularly in PiR (recency bias also didn't help), it didn't do anything for town.

That, and as Splinter said, the town PR's were wasted (celebrity lynched, tracker didn't track anything despite trainers, scum, and SK). Also I think the trainer mechanic hurt town more than it helped (was TR a trainer, are there scum Pokemon, alignment changes, superior win, etc.). We saw a similar situation in PiR with bidding and items. What's unknown is suspicious.

Maybe GAFia just likes their standard mafia games? :p

If there's one thing I've learned from both this and The Price Is Right, is that town doesn't handle non-standard mechanics very well. In TPIR lots of people were confused by the bidding, and here people (myself included) were confused by the "Superior Win condition"

Maybe going forward, it'd be best if non-standard games find at least one or two people to present the mechanics to them in a way that town will receive them.

roytheone

If there's one thing I've learned from both this and The Price Is Right, is that town doesn't handle non-standard mechanics very well. In TPIR lots of people were confused by the bidding, and here people (myself included) were confused by the "Superior Win condition"

Maybe going forward, it'd be best if non-standard games find at least one or two people to present the mechanics to them in a way that town will receive them.

Man, wouldn't it be great to have a game with a non standard mechanic that is open knowledge! Man, if only someone makes such a game!

Ynnek7

Just so you all know, I really didn't want to lynch any of you.... You were much more important to me as candy!

Thanks so much for running the game Burbeting!

Congrats to the scum team, I really couldn't get a good read on any of you. The secret code talk was brilliant.

I was considering going after Sawneeks on my last night, but I had a good feeling that no one would be protecting Sketch and already knew that she wasn't a normal type, so the two candies were too tempting to skip.

There were a few points where I had considered coming forward as a Vigilante and apologizing for hitting town, but figured keeping quiet on my involvement was the safer play.

Had a lot of fun :)

Sophia

Man, wouldn't it be great to have a game with a non standard mechanic that is open knowledge! Man, if only someone makes such a game!

Hey hey hey. Sorry I realized the mistake in TPIR too late. ;_;

In regards to this game tho, I really LOVED the communication between mafia here. Blarg and Sawneeks especially just did so awesome with the cypher and his gambit to make town lynch him for the win.

agreed,
i know my biggest problem with this game is how the trainers werea completely mystery, so far too much time was spent speculating what they could possibly be/do, which left far too little scum hunting.

iirc Day 3 in particular was almost completely consumed by mechanic speculation.

It just too bad they died so quickly. That, combined with how easy town made it for the serial killer, put town in a bad spot too quickly.

Would have been interesting to see how scum handled multiple members missing from the scum chat

---

I didn't really get the point of redacting Barrylocke's info N1 though. I doubt anyone was going to blanket assume that all trainers were town based on his full role PM.

---

Also, I am losing my edge. Roy and Sawneeks both fell for my pokemon readlist trap, and I didn't follow up or pursue it or anything.

Although I guess I wasn't actually suspicious of Fireblend at the time so I didn't want to tunnel. But if one of the three had flipped scum later in the game, I doubt I would have remembered their connection.

nin1000

Banned
Just so you all know, I really didn't want to lynch any of you.... You were much more important to me as candy!

Congrats to the scum team, I really couldn't get a good read on any of you. The secret code talk was brilliant.

I was considering going after Sawneeks on my last night, but I had a good feeling that no one would be protecting Sketch and already knew that she wasn't a normal type, so the two candies were too tempting to skip.

There were a few points where I had considered coming forward as a Vigilante and apologizing for hitting town, but figured keeping quiet on my involvement was the safer play.

Well Played Mate. Well Played

roytheone

Yeah, that would have ended badly for you. We were super afraid a vig would kill blarg, wasting his power. Coming out as the vig would have made you our #1 enemy.

Hey hey hey. Sorry I realized the mistake in TPIR too late. ;_;

In regards to this game tho, I really LOVED the communication between mafia here. Blarg and Sawneeks especially just did so awesome with the cypher and his gambit to make town lynch him for the win.

I wasn't referencing PiR actually, but Witcher going to have a non standard, but open mechanic.

Oh and Thanks Barry for letting me be One of the coolest chars in the world

tumblr_myvzp1BX781tnr7xxo2_500.gif

No problem bb. I gutread you as townish in Day 1 and I figured you'd probably be a low priority target for both trainers and scum. I was happy to see you awaken and be a town freedom fighter in the last couple days, even if it didn't play out so well. I'm glad to see you at least stayed fab until the very end in my stead.

tumblr_inline_mtpoqyNg051sny9qq.gif

Top Bottom