• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Kurita

I just hope notifications won't be buggy anymore.
Ever since iOS 8 I stopped receiving Twitter and Messenger's...

SuperPac

How has the beta been for daily driving?

Quite solid for me. It's broken a couple things. I can't reorder playlists in Overcast, can't get Info in Overcast, can't use Unread to open up a webview of an article (just black-screens). Occasionally the phone app will just immediately crash but I don't use it much and can still get at favorite contacts through the search screen.

It has quirks. But it's more solid than most other Beta 2s I've run on my phone.

My iPad Air is also on iOS9 beta2, and the only issue there is also with Unread.

How has the beta been for daily driving?

I've been on Beta 2 on my iPad Mini 2 for the past two weeks and it feels like a stable release. No major issues. Which I guess makes sense, iOS 9 is focused on refinements and stability rather than massive new features or radical redesign.

iOS 7 was my first time doing iOS betas, and the first couple beta releases of that were incredibly unstable. But I understood that before installing, and besides, iOS 7 was a major redesign. iOS 8 betas were a little better, but still a bit shaky. iOS 9 betas have been pretty good so far.

Is there a way I can disable the search gesture on my iPad? (the one where you swipe down from the middle of the screen)

It's one of my only UI complaints with owning an Apple product (iPad Mini Retina) because I constantly accidentally do a swipe instead of a straight press when trying to open an app.

It's a completely useless feature for me because I keep the stuff on my iPad organized in folders and I've never had a need to use it. I know you can turn off what you want the Search to search for in the settings, but I couldn't find a way to remove the gesture completely.

If there's no official way to turn it off in iOS 8 or 9, is it possible to do by Jailbreaking it?

pronk420

its weird that no one on the macrumors forum where they're going crazy seems to be seeing it

is beta.apple.com down for anyone else?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Awesome. By the time I get home I hope everyone will be done downloading and I'll be able to update everything in peace.

I want to see screenshots people!

RedShift

Is there a way I can disable the search gesture on my iPad? (the one where you swipe down from the middle of the screen)

It's one of my only UI complaints with owning an Apple product (iPad Mini Retina) because I constantly accidentally do a swipe instead of a straight press when trying to open an app.

It's a completely useless feature for me because I keep the stuff on my iPad organized in folders and I've never had a need to use it. I know you can turn off what you want the Search to search for in the settings, but I couldn't find a way to remove the gesture completely.

If there's no official way to turn it off in iOS 8 or 9, is it possible to do by Jailbreaking it?

If I remember right in iOS 9 they're changing it back to being a page to the left of the first one, so yes.

I do it all the time as well.

Also, public beta, shiiiiiit.

Kinsella

Banned
Installing 9.0 on my iPad Air 2 right now. Hoping split screen is great. Just having the ability to have a Twitch video running in a small moveable window while I browse will also be nice. Not sure if that's in the beta or not though.

SuperPac

Installing 9.0 on my iPad Air 2 right now. Hoping split screen is great. Just having the ability to have a Twitch video running in a small moveable window while I browse will also be nice. Not sure if that's in the beta or not though.

Doesn't work with Twitch in the developer beta at least.

Hmmm. I have a water damaged iPhone 5s. Everything works but the cellular. I might download and test. Better than the phone collecting dust.

Hmmm. I have a water damaged iPhone 5s. Everything works but the cellular. I might download and test. Better than the phone collecting dust.

It'll be totally fine. The only Apple beta I've installed that I later regretted has been Watch OS2, which totally broke 90% of the functionality of my watch.

HUELEN10

Jesus, I'm glad I installed the beta, because now I know how shitty San Fransico looks as a font. It is SO blurry, like it is out of focus!

HUELEN10

Here is iOS 8, it looks bold yet sharp and very easy to read.
YOzD0y3.jpg
Here is iOS 9. Not as sharp, out of focus. Look at the dot on the letter i.

Cupertino needs its eyes checked.

ramyeon

Weird, my phone is showing that I'm up to date on 8.4 even though I have the beta profile installed on my phone. Are their servers having issues? I notice that the public beta page is slow as hell.

Here is iOS 8, it looks bold yet sharp and very easy to read.

Here is iOS 9. Not as sharp, out of focus. Look at the dot on the letter i.

Cupertino needs its eyes checked.

what are you talking about
ios 9 font looks sharper.

even the i in iPad looks sharper on 9 than 8 from your own screenshot

pronk420

is there any way to play youtube videos picture in picture at the moment? seems like it only works with videos that play in apples own video player for now

ramyeon

Looks like you need to re enroll even if you were on the 8 public beta. Shame their site is so damn slow at the moment, must be getting hammered.

What are the odds my apps won't run on the public beta?

I've only had that problem with obscure apps that don't get updated often but it couldn't hurt to do a google search or search on reddit for the apps you use. Unless you're talking about apps you developed yourself that is.

RedSwirl

Any improvements to mail?

Can I mark all as read? Can I manually add file attachments?

Or should I just go ahead and switch to Outlook iOS?

Any improvements to mail?

Can I mark all as read? Can I manually add file attachments?

Or should I just go ahead and switch to Outlook iOS?

You can do both of those. Mail supports attachments from any other storage source that you have set up. Right now I can attach files from iCloud Drive, Dropbox and OS X Server.

Top Bottom