• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Question: Are voicemails stored on the device or the server? I know it's a stupid question, I'm just curious. If I were to reset my phone fresh and not even restore from a backup, just relying on whatever is synced to iCloud, will the voicemails be still there? I'd assume the call log would disappear. I'm still not clear on exactly what is kept and what goes away. All I know is messages don't sync back down and would need to be restored from the backup.

Question: Are voicemails stored on the device or the server? I know it's a stupid question, I'm just curious. If I were to reset my phone fresh and not even restore from a backup, just relying on whatever is synced to iCloud, will the voicemails be still there? I'd assume the call log would disappear. I'm still not clear on exactly what is kept and what goes away. All I know is messages don't sync back down and would need to be restored from the backup.

I am like 98% sure its all server side.

Is it a good idea to upgrade an iPhone 5C to 9.3.3? I've heard about Apple updating iPhones for too long so that they start slowing down badly and I want to avoid that.

I'm on 8.4 right now, this version working nicely.

You know what I think I'm looking forward to the most with the iPhone 7?

Potentially being able to order an iPhone the night of pre-orders without things being a server sh**-show.

With the 6S, you were basically able to walk into an Apple Store the week of release and get one. I'd love for it to be no work to reserve one at this point and get it delivered to my work.

Ninja Dom

Is it a good idea to upgrade an iPhone 5C to 9.3.3? I've heard about Apple updating iPhones for too long so that they start slowing down badly and I want to avoid that.

I'm on 8.4 right now, this version working nicely.

If you're not concerned with any of the new features that iOS 9 brings over iOS 8 then stay as you are.

My iPad 4th gen runs a lot better with iOS 9 than with iOS 8, especially Safari as Apple have optimised it better.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Any way to turn those giant Emojis off that came with the recent Whatsapp Update?
It's the way all messaging apps are going now. If you send an emoji or two alone it makes them nice and big and detailed.

Messages will be doing it on iOS 10 and FaceBook Messenger has done it for a long time.

Ambitious

Not using Safari View Controller for login dialogs should be grounds for immediate rejection in the App Store.

Addendum: Forcing the user to enter login credentials manually by preventing (or not supporting) copy-paste should be grounds for a six month ban from the App Store, because fuck this shit. Pinnacle of stupidity.

mrkgoo

My wife just got a dialog box that requested her change her passcode within 60 minutes. Had a Later or Continue If you dismiss it, it popped up again with a timer counting down (I.e 47 minutes etc).

Some Google shows a few people getting this on iOS 9, but no one is able to say what it is. Some say it's related to exchange servers, von etc but many of the people who experience don't use them.

Has anyone else seen this?

Cleared safari history and web data and rebooted but it shows it once after that, but maybe not again after that. Manually changed passcode just in case.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Addendum: Forcing the user to enter login credentials manually by preventing (or not supporting) copy-paste should be grounds for a six month ban from the App Store, because fuck this shit. Pinnacle of stupidity.
Ditto. I have a password manager. It lets me copy my password. Don't fucking block me from being able to paste it there.

robox

what's the best way to go through pictures and delete/cleanup crappy ones? fighting against the storage limit and photos are the majority of it.

just purge onto a computer and deal with it there?

There are apps where you swipe through each photo, left to delete, right to keep. Like a famous dating app.

And others that present duplicates and bunches of photo and suggest which ones to keep.

Easiest would be to activate iCloud for photos and choose "optimise storage".

Eklesp

what's the best way to go through pictures and delete/cleanup crappy ones? fighting against the storage limit and photos are the majority of it.

just purge onto a computer and deal with it there?

I delete them from my phone either with the Select option, or just deleting while looking through the photos, it feels just as fast to me than doing it from a computer.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So there is this coconutbattery app that shows the lifepower of your battery.
And i just saw that the lifepower of my battery dropped a little less then 3% after two full chargings... Is this legit? Sounds way to much for me... From what Ive heard is that the app directly gets into the API...

Edit: OK, at thr last 0.9 percent it went up and is now 1.3 percent lesser. Hm...

ryan299

Anybody know why I don't get any battery usage details? It always says 'battery info will be available after using iphone for a few minutes.'

NeOak

Is updating a 4S to iOS9 still recommendable? Or should I try a manual upgrade to iOS8?

If iOS8 is the recommended option, any way to keep the data safe and can it be restored?

hirokazu

Is updating a 4S to iOS9 still recommendable? Or should I try a manual upgrade to iOS8?

If iOS8 is the recommended option, any way to keep the data safe and can it be restored?

I personally think it's okay, but it is slower so you probably don't want to update if you want to keep it as fast as possible.

NeOak

I personally think it's okay, but it is slower so you probably don't want to update if you want to keep it as fast as possible.

Apparently I won't be able to install 8.4.1 anymore since Apple doesn't sign the files except for the latest version.

And it is because the person that uses the iPhone needs a newer Skype version.

Top Bottom