• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar FC

I'm really just jealous the Arsenal strips look quite nice. So do Liverpool's. Man Utd's strips are always boring or meh looking.

I get one new pool shirt every year, but I'm so torn on whether get a home or away. I'm not as big on the home kit as everybody else and the aways are just 😍.

Cmon man, I didn't say you're thick, I just asked you if you were? lol. Bit harsh.

The only people deserving of such harshness in here are Arsenal fans, and Beefy isn't one of those
kind of joking about Arsenal fans

I'm really just jealous the Arsenal strips look quite nice. So do Liverpool's. Man Utd's strips are always boring or meh looking.

lol I was honestly asking because he seems to only think that Liverpool is the only team that does it but turning a blind eye to the other teams that are doing the same thing even as I type this reply. I mean did you see the paper from Span about Coutinho, Dybala and Dembele are ready to sign for Barca because they all agreed terms with them?

I get one new pool shirt every year, but I'm so torn on whether get a home or away. I'm not as big on the home kit as everybody else and the aways are just ��.

I usually get one kit myself but this year I might have to bite the bullet and get both.

...So I just took a look at this season's away kit for Reading and good lord.

2730l-1.jpg

Is there some secret deal with calippo going on?

Audioboxer

I get one new pool shirt every year, but I'm so torn on whether get a home or away. I'm not as big on the home kit as everybody else and the aways are just ��.

Post the away for me again so I'm not confused as to what it is. Home is what I really like, the retro inspired red kit. Obviously as a Man Utd fan I'm drawn to classy looking red strips, and I prefer both Liverpool's and Arsenal's over United's. Our sponsor logos are always trash as well. Chevrolet is an eye-sore.

lol I was honestly asking because he seems to only think that Liverpool is the only team that does it but turning a blind eye to the other teams that are doing the same thing even as I type this reply. I mean did you see the paper from Span about Coutinho, Dybala and Dembele are ready to sign for Barca because they all agreed terms with them?

I usually get one kit myself but this year I might have to bite the bullet and get both.

Yeah a lot of them do do it, but we need to remember in GAF football topics the bantz is supposed to just be reserved for the Arsenal fans. Or for the fraud managers which reside at Man Utd and City.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Championship and League Cup now on ESPN3 in the US instead of BeIn. Great quality stream so far for Fulham-Norwich.

Beefy

I can never get a shirt, I am too tall and not fat. It's either a shirt like a tent or a shirt that stops at my stomach

Lunar FC

Post the away for me again so I'm not confused as to what it is. Home is what I really like, the retro inspired red kit.

Championship and League Cup now on ESPN3 in the US instead of BeIn. Great quality stream so far for Fulham-Norwich.
I've always been interested in lower tier English leagues but could never watch because fuck paying for BeIn. This has be excited, tuning in rn.

Post the away for me again so I'm not confused as to what it is. Home is what I really like, the retro inspired red kit. Obviously as a Man Utd fan I'm drawn to classy looking red strips, and I prefer both Liverpool's and Arsenal's over United's. Our sponsor logos are always trash as well. Chevrolet is an eye-sore.

Yeah a lot of them do do it, but we need to remember in GAF football topics the bantz is supposed to just be reserved for the Arsenal fans. Or for the fraud managers which reside at Man Utd and City.

lol I guess so

RocknRola

But why?

His presentation was like two days ago, or yesterday.

I'ts becoming rather normal for these big players to have a regular press presentation and a fan presentation at their respective stadium.

It's a way of getting everyone hyped I guess. Also free footballs that they kick at the audience :p

Edit:

OOOOHHH!!! PSG is actually playing in about an hour against Amiens, at home! This is basically a large pre-match show!! Kinda cool actually!

Beefy

lol I was honestly asking because he seems to only think that Liverpool is the only team that does it but turning a blind eye to the other teams that are doing the same thing even as I type this reply. I mean did you see the paper from Span about Coutinho, Dybala and Dembele are ready to sign for Barca because they all agreed terms with them?.

Not every one does it, just the bigger teams that can get away with it. The reason I see Liverpool as worse is kind of obvious as it effects the club I support. If Barca did the same I would say the same about them.

Audioboxer

We literally just got in OT.

I knew this was a bad idea.

We're on borrowed time anyway, a little bit of breathing space to let the rest of the board know football has an OT, then we'll be booted to community before the Arsene/Pep/Mou GIFs get unleashed on opening week. Moderation is the key, as is "rival friendly" behaviour. No nonsense chaps. However, as soon as AFTV clips hit the topic, we're done.

Prediction time.

User: WadiumArcadium
League: Premier League

1. Chelsea
2. Manchester City
3. Liverpool
4. Tottenham
---
5. Manchester United
6. Arsenal
7. Everton
---
18. Swansea City
19. Brighton & Hove Albion
20. Huddersfield Town

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Cmon man, I didn't say you're thick, I just asked you if you were? lol. Bit harsh.

The only people deserving of such harshness in here are Arsenal fans, and Beefy isn't one of those
kind of joking about Arsenal fans

gEqVo7D.gif

PSG
Barcelona
Man City
United
Chelsea
Real Madrid
Juventus
and many other teams

All of them leak SHIT to the press the way Liverpool does. I don't get why you keep on insisting only Liverpool does this shit when every fucking team does it.
Specifically to what went down with VvD, I don't think it gets that bad all to often.

First, Liverpool tried to win public opinion in March / April by having the club mouthpiece reporters all come out with articles about the 3 or 4 names Liverpool will sign this summer. This part is pretty common, but is usually more a Barca tactic.

The celebrating over reaching an agreement from those same mouthpieces is the odd part. Other clubs tapped VvD up. Any decent club tapped other players up. What most clubs didn't do was publicly celebrate signing a player before even contacting the selling club. This is far more uncommon.

The source matters, too. There are endless tabloids and sites across Europe who will report Coutinho is signed or Can is off to Juventus. But it's usually not from sources recognized as club mouthpieces like James Pearce. At least not in the PL.

So yeah, in a sense everybody does it. But the degree Liverpool took it with VvD is far less common. Barca takes it it to that level all the time, but it's not done run of the mill thing.

DBT85

Yay great OT Lunar, nice to be on off-topic if only to snatch some new blood for a few weeks.

Welcome to the new and the returning.

It's back lads!

Specifically to what went down with VvD, I don't think it gets that bad all to often.

First, Liverpool tried to win public opinion in March / April by having the club mouthpiece reporters all come out with articles about the 3 or 4 names Liverpool will sign this summer. This part is pretty common, but is usually more a Barca tactic.

The celebrating over reaching an agreement from those same mouthpieces is the odd part. Other clubs tapped VvD up. Any decent club tapped other players up. What most clubs didn't do was publicly celebrate signing a player before even contacting the selling club. This is far more uncommon.

The source matters, too. There are endless tabloids and sites across Europe who will report Coutinho is signed or Can is off to Juventus. But it's usually not from sources recognized as club mouthpieces like James Pearce. At least not in the PL.

So yeah, in a sense everybody does it. But the degree Liverpool took it with VvD is far less common. Barca takes it it to that level all the time, but it's not done run of the mill thing.

Actually the major media outlet that reported the news about Coutinho is a known to be fed news like that from Barcelona and the same paper that did it for Can is also known to be fed stories from Juventus. So no its not some random small tabloid.

The thing that got Southampton upset about the VvD drama was the fact it was reported he preferred Liverpool to Chelsea. They felt because of that they they lost their bargaining chip. It wasn't the fact that he was tapped up, because Southampton themselves have been guilty of doing it and getting reported and it wasn't the fact that it was reported a deal was agreed. It was the simple reason of them reporting that he had picked Liverpool.

DukeBobby

I'm hoping Bury have a good season. Losing Vaughan was a big blow, but hopefully Beckford still has goals in him.

EDIT: He does!

Lunar FC

Glad to see that like the Premier League about 75% of championship teams are sponsored by online betting sites. 🤦

RM has to buy a damn striker, a pure raw striker not like Benz.

God damn it

As I said before, please accept that Benz is untouchable. Ronaldo and Bale will both leave before he does. Hell, there's still way too much noise about Bale, and Ronaldo's fate is still up in the air as long as the tax case is open.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I've always been interested in lower tier English leagues but could never watch because fuck paying for BeIn. This has be excited, tuning in rn.

The Championship is a good change of pace from just watching the big clubs in the Premier League over and over again. This first half has been fantastic, Fulham is really fun to watch.

Beefy

Actually the major media outlet that reported the news about Coutinho is a known to be fed news like that from Barcelona and the same paper that did it for Can is also known to be fed stories from Juventus. So no its not some random small tabloid.

The thing that got Southampton upset about the VvD drama was the fact it was reported he preferred Liverpool to Chelsea. They felt because of that they they lost their bargaining chip. It wasn't the fact that he was tapped up, because Southampton themselves have been guilty of doing it and getting reported and it wasn't the fact that it was reported a deal was agreed. It was the simple reason of them reporting that he had picked Liverpool.

Nope. The fact they didn't want to sell was the reason. Now they have a player that doesn't want to play, so they are even more pissed. It's why we have offered contracts to nearly all our players. We want to keep this team together and only add just one or two players. That with the academy lads stepping up is what Southampton is looking for now.

Zasa

Messi wouldn't be able to adapt to the PL.

Let's be real here

Also, that Liverpool away kit is sexy as hell.

Syder

Wut?

I remember quite a few years ago when I was a little boy in Turkey I got a nice fake Juventus top with Del Piero on the back of it for absolute peanuts. Shit looked real. I mean, no kid these days wants a fake (no sympathy for me needed, I had a fair few real tops as a kid), but when you start hitting well over £100 for a footie top... yeah. Time to iron Neymar on the back yourself lol
I got a Real Madrid shirt with v. Nisterlrooy on the back from Turkey years ago, it's a pretty convincing fake.

Firemind

I got a Real Madrid shirt with v. Nisterlrooy on the back from Turkey years ago, it's a pretty convincing fake.
They can't even spell his name right.

I got a fake AC Milan shirt with van Basten before the Euro even existed. It was 1000 lira maybe? Shame I lost it.

Nope. The fact they didn't want to sell was the reason. Now they have a player that doesn't want to play, so they are even more pissed. It's why we have offered contracts to nearly all our players. We want to keep this team together and only add just one or two players. That with the academy lads stepping up is what Southampton is looking for now.

I disagree. I think they knew a lot of teams would come in for him in the summer and its the reason they got him to sign a new contract. With that in place, they knew for a fact they could get a lot for him if he was on a long contract and they would spark a bidding war. But when it was reported he wanted a Liverpool move that angered Southampton higher ups because they know they lost their bargaining chips.

The difference here is the veracity of those claims. Even if the sources sometimes get it right, how was this particular story reported and was it correct? The Can and Coutinho ones gave been incorrect so far.

The VvD celebration was a real thing. By all accounts he did choose Liverpool. That wasn't in dispute. Other clubs backed away. But instead of nailing the transfer down, Liverpool mouthpieces all reported that he chose Liverpool and Liverpool had no competition now. And these weren't reported as rumors but as factual happenings.

I agree it's not about tapping up. It's about Liverpool's media strategy here, which embarrassed and infuriated Southampton. And it's a terrible look for Liverpool because bone of it was necessary. They didn't need to have James Pearce and co. write all that. But they potentially ruined a transfer over cheap PR.

Beefy

I disagree. I think they knew a lot of teams would come in for him in the summer and its the reason they got him to sign a new contract. With that in place, they knew for a fact they could get a lot for him if he was on a long contract and they would spark a bidding war. But when it was reported he wanted a Liverpool move that angered Southampton higher ups because they know they lost their bargaining chips.

You can disagree, but it's a fact. The board have been saying it for over a season now, it's why all but Yoshida and Davis have been given 5yr deals. They want to keep this team together and not just have to replace 5 players a season. It's why they gave Van Dijk a 6 yr deal last year. They want to move away from being seen as a selling club. That and we have new owners coming in soon.

Glad to see that like the Premier League about 75% of championship teams are sponsored by online betting sites. 🤦

The other 25% are dodgy money lenders.

Got curious about this, and Reading has:
An energy drink
Booze (both domestic and foreign)
A Thai importer of European food
A Private healthcare firm
Insurance
Car leasing
Clothing
Interior decorators

Really the dodgiest aspect of the club financially is who exactly owns it now. The new Chinese owners have something of a... obscure history, and previously when they had tried to buy a Premier League club, they got shot down because the PL couldn't verify just where exactly they keep and make all their money, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom