• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] 3DS XL (90% larger screen, 4GB SD, better battery) OP has details

Bumhead

Banned
I think Revelations is going to be my first "test" game for the XL. Can see that benefitting a lot. Larger screens could be worth another play through by themselves.

The 3DS has been my most played system in the last 12 months or so and its the most I've enjoyed a console for years. Can only see the XL adding to that.

Berordn

It will make the 3DS games look great/better obviously, its the DS games I'm worried about. I can't stand black bars, and I'm guessing those will play in black borders.

That was going to end up being the case regardless, but if the screens are an improvement at all and the black levels are better, it might not be as noticeable.

Time will tell, I guess.

Blue Duck

Neo Member
I never really dug the design to the 3DS, especially the unrounded edges. The 3DS XL on the other hand is much better! A lot of love for the matte finish, bigger screen and slick edges. Like most people, I so hope Nintendo hurry up and bring the white version to the UK/USA shortly.

I'm sure once I see it in person I'll want a 3DS XL on day one.

yankee666

I want to see some pictures of the 3DS LL in the wild. I Know the inside is matte finish but the exterior is glossy like the DSi LL?. The PR shots never do justice to the machine, with some exceptions like the DSi LL (brown) Sitting on the top of the desk.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Oh my. The plastic doesn't look as cheap as in the promo video.

dKXBq.jpg

fernoca

From Google translate:
  • Huge screen
  • Better viewing angle
  • 3D effect looks better/more effective/more natural
  • 2D mode looks better than regular 3DS
  • Image looks better/softer (they assume there might be some filter but not sure)
  • The grip (round corners) fit nicely
  • Unit fits better in hands (they wonder if it should've been the main design in first place)
  • Unit is lighter than they expected
  • There's a coat in the unit (not fully matte) that gives it a "deluxe plastic imitating metal" look
  • Not sure at the sound as the room was quite noisy

From that site:

RPGCrazied

Looks great! But uh, how come they won't show the outer shell? Mainly the top. If that is a matte finish as like the inside, I want right now.

Oh wow. the top screen really looks great in those pictures. Maybe this'll allow me to appreciate Mario Kart 7 a bit more. Ocarina certainly will look amazing on this.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.p-nintendo.com/articles/reportages/exclu-pn-a-teste-la-3ds-xl-232121

In French. First impressions. If Google Translation is anything to go by, I have to contain myself, since I can't buy it. I can't. Nngh. XD

I can sum it up.

- The screens are HUUUGE!
- DS games will get a "third life" on the bigger screen.
- The 3D effect is easier on the eye and nicer to the look.
- The technology behind the 3D might have been improved on the XL model. (To confirm)
- They think there's some kind of "filter" at works here because the pixels appear "rounded."
- "The XL is so much more comfortable to hold than the original 3DS that we have to ask what the hell has Nintendo been doing in R&D with the original model." (Paraphrased)
- The difference might be small, but the buttons felt well placed and of better quality.
- The circle pad appears bigger. (To confirm)
- Surprisingly light for its size.
- 3DS games will gain new life from the XL.
- Speakers and sounds doesn't appear to have improve. (Was in a noisy room, to confirm.)
- The XL is an upgrade on the 3DS from almost every single point.

RPGCrazied

I can sum it up.

- The technology behind the 3D might have been improved on the XL model. (To confirm)
- They think there's some kind of "filter" at works here because the pixels appear "rounded."
- "The XL is so much more comfortable to hold than the original 3DS that we have to ask what the hell has Nintendo been doing in R&D with the original model." (Paraphrased)
- The difference might be small, but the buttons felt well placed and of better quality.
- Speakers and sounds doesn't appear to have improve. (Was in a noisy room, to confirm.)

Oooh. Screen filter! Means less jaggies in games? Dream Drop is going to look so freaking awesome on this thing.

czk

Typical COD gamer
From Google tranlate:
  • Huge screen
  • Better viewing angle
  • Image looks better/softer (they assume there might be some filter but not sure)
  • Unit fits better in hands (they wonder if it should've been the main design in first place)
  • There' a coat in the unit (not fully matte) that gives it a "deluxe plastic imitating metal" look

From that site:
Spanuuuuund!!

Forever

Banned
I can sum it up.

Fuck. Now I kinda want one.

From Google tranlate:
  • Huge screen
  • Better viewing angle
  • There's a coat in the unit (not fully matte) that gives it a "deluxe plastic imitating metal" look

From that site:
I can sum it up.

Sweet, thanks. Man I think I'm getting one.

Rich!

From those photos, it looks like the bastard child of a DSi XL and a 3DS, taking most of the genes from the DSi XL.

And that's a fucking good thing. Looks amazing.

Rich!

Ew. If that's what it's going to look like I don't want to be anywhere near an XL. Sadly. Paper Mario looks atrocious.

yeah because resized jpeg's are totally indictive of what the actual screen will look like.

it's just a size comparison, fucking hell.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Ew. If that's what it's going to look like I don't want to be anywhere near an XL. Sadly. Paper Mario looks atrocious.

You do realize those "XL" screens are just normal screens stretched to the size of the XL's screens, right? And doesn't represent AT ALL how the games will look on the actual screen.

jbueno

Argh! I can´t wait to get mine on NA launch. Better begin stacking up games. I wonder how awesome Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time will look on that screen.

I can sum it up.

Sold.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My heart would flutter even more if they unlocked the region lock. *wishful thinking*

Only way I'm buying one before holiday sales; I love my midnight purple too much. Doubt it would be region free only on the XL though, which would mean a different firmware than the standard model. I doubt it.

wow, it's big, I mean BIG!!

I was going to bite on the GS promotions, very happy I waited; this is simply amazing!

---
playing Revelation on it is going to be amazing, I cant contain myself!

Top Bottom