• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM on Switch confirmed to have motion controls [Up: Waggle, not gyro]

I can't keep up with peoples opinions on motion controls.

Plenty of people have embraced gyro aiming years ago. It's wonderful.

"Waggle" (random motions that are used to replace a button press), which was so dominant on Wii, sucks and most people rightfully hate it.

Rosur2a

Btw, it has HD Rumble.

I'm still pist that fifa 18 don't has this included.

o.0 wonder how killing demons with HD rumble feels, do hope the motion is gyro based like splatoon.

Definitely getting more tempted to pick this up.

Neoxon

Still a bit sad about 30fps, but gyro controls being added in is a nice consolation prize. Good shit, Bethesda.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Plenty of people have embraced gyro aiming years ago. It's wonderful.

"Waggle" (random motions that are used to replace a button press), which was so dominant on Wii, sucks and most people rightfully hate it.

Mouse >> IR aiming >> Analog + gyro aiming > gyro aiming > analog aiming >> Digital aiming.

Rip and waggle until it is done

j/k gyro aiming rules. But this game is so damn fast I imagine everyone using gyro aiming to have demonic ganglion cysts by the end.

Basically this. As a substitute for a mouse? Awesome. Performing a waggle to make an action that a button usually does? Terrible.

When doing Hunk's neck snap in RE4's Mercenaries Mode, all you had to do was push a button. But when playing the Wii version, I would mimic the head snap motion while pushing the button. It made the game much more fun for me. But yeah, I wouldn't want to waggle all the time. Doing a motion for Glory Kills would be great though.

Which is what I think "motion controls" refers to in this game....

Why do you think that?

There's really no indication in the video that they are prompting glory kills with waggle, I can't think of any other uses for waggle in this game, and there have been basically no waggle games on the Switch so far. The logical conclusion here is gyro aiming, but it's definitely not confirmed yet.

However, motion controls being a new toggle in the settings menu (that wasn't there on the previous build) is confirmed.

Basically this. As a substitute for a mouse? Awesome. Performing a waggle to make an action that a button usually does? Terrible.
substitute for a mouse is quite a stretch. As a supplement to an analog though its good.

I still don't use it though, it dictates your posture too much.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to make a different topic for this question but since we are discussing Doom, is there any word on whether the older Doom games (1, 2 & 3) will ever come to Switch or other consoles?

Mr Swine

Banned
Why in the world would the game have waggle? That would be stupid when it’s far faster and more efficient to press a button

GWX

Hopefully Panic Button will find a way to make gyro aiming smooth even with the 30 fps cap in place. If so, I’ll gladly buy this version (on a sale; didn’t even pay full price for the game 2 months after its release on Xbox One).

Just a heads up, for people that are still on the fence about the price.
The South African store is showing now the price, it will be 669 ZAR, which is around 42 €.

Combined with Motion Controls, it is a defined purchase for me.

deleted

I don't want to kill any hype here, but are we sure that this is for motion aiming?

That would normaly be a further menu and not only a checkbox.

I'm pretty sure this refers to something like waggle for glory kills or melee attacks.

tenor.gif

OCD Guy

Why do you think that?

There's really no indication in the video that they are prompting glory kills with waggle, I can't think of any other uses for waggle in this game, and there have been basically no waggle games on the Switch so far. The logical conclusion here is gyro aiming, but it's definitely not confirmed yet.

However, motion controls being a new toggle in the settings menu (that wasn't there on the previous build) is confirmed.

Only because the developers stated clearly that they wouldn't implement gyro aiming.

I appreciate things can change, but my gut is telling me that "motion controls" is nothing more than gory kills with a "waggle".

I'd love to be wrong though.

NimbusD

Huh...weird that Bethesda denied it once, then now it's in the game.

Nonetheless, good job, Bethesda!
Probably didn't know if they'd have time to implement. Kinda a fast turnaround on this one.

I was gonna pass cuz of the price and maaaaybe get it after a drop in price.now for sure I'm gonna get it.

D_prOdigy

Not having gyro-aiming and having some degree of 'motion controls' are not mutually exclusive. Probably best not to be to optimistic about this at this point.

Only because the developers stated clearly that they wouldn't implement gyro aiming.

I appreciate things can change, but my gut is telling me that "motion controls" is nothing more than gory kills with a "waggle".

I'd love to be wrong though.

All we have is Bethesda telling something to Rolling Stone that had Rolling Stone reporting that there will be no gyro aiming. Neither id nor Panic Button commented on it from what I can tell.

But what's telling to me is that this statement was made when they were playing the demo that had no motion controls toggle in the options menu. Now, in a more recent demo we have that toggle. That suggests to me that they changed their mind on gyro implementation which tons of people asked for, rather than introduced some weird waggle controls that nobody asked for.

It's the fact that it wasn't there previously which makes me believe it's gyro. Also that there are no waggle games on the Switch so far, I'd bet Nintendo is likely hoping developers avoid using waggle controls in general.

tsundoku

there are already bad motion controls on the ps4 in lots of games. I wouldn't get excited about this feature until it can match splatoon 2 on max sensitivity, or even better, until it can match splatoon 1.

OCD Guy

All we have is Bethesda telling something to Rolling Stone that had Rolling Stone reporting that there will be no gyro aiming. Neither id nor Panic Button commented on it from what I can tell.

But what's telling to me is that this statement was made when they were playing the demo that had no motion controls toggle in the options menu. Now, in a more recent demo we have that toggle. That suggests to me that they changed their mind on gyro implementation which tons of people asked for, rather than introduced some weird waggle controls that nobody asked for.

It's the fact that it wasn't there previously which makes me believe it's gyro. Also that there are no waggle games on the Switch so far, I'd bet Nintendo is likely hoping developers avoid using waggle controls in general.

You might be right, especially if the below means anything:

As I can't think of any valid reason the video would need to be removed.

Video is down now. I guess this was meant to be a surprise announcement or sth

TrutaS

This actually places it above other console versions in my opinion - I don't play FPS on consoles because of the lack of precision (for someone coming from a mouse and keyboard background).

mazillion

Wow this is a big deal for Doom, being able to spin around on a dime will greatly improve the gameplay. Just please be BoTW motion control and not Splatoon

Why in the world would the game have waggle? That would be stupid when it's far faster and more efficient to press a button

Reducing motion controls to "waggle" is just asinine at this point.

Gaming is more than just pressing a button on the same tired-ass Dual Shock Variants. It isn't necessarily "faster" or "more efficient", too, and I would present that case. Learning how to play with a modern Pro Controller can be, and often is overwhelming, as it's the equivalent of learning a new alphabet and its phonetics. Motion control is easier in that you know you've performed an action, and therefore it should be replicated on screen. From personal experience, and as an example, I've always said that the definitive version of LOZ: Twilight Princess is on the Wii, because movement in a 3D space was simplified with the Wii Remote. A flick of the wrists was enough to perform an attack, and locking a target was easier with the pointer control. Apart from accessibility reasons, they're fun options to have, and on top of that, motion controls are existing proof that one can create more compelling and immersive experiences without making visual presentations more (photo)realistic.

Haven't played DOOM. May pick up this version if there's gyro assisted aim. I was bad at analog aim before, but man, after all the time I've invested in Splatoon, it feels terrible playing pure analog now lol.

Reducing motion controls to "waggle" is just asinine at this point.

Gaming is more than just pressing a button on the same tired-ass Dual Shock Variants. It isn't necessarily "faster" or "more efficient", too. Learning how to play with a modern Pro Controller can, and often is overwhelming, as it's the equivalent of learning a new alphabet and its phonetics. Motion control is easier in that you know you've performed an action, and therefore it should be replicated on screen. From personal experience, I've always said that the definitive version of LOZ: Twilight Princess was on the Wii, because movement in a 3D space was simplified with the Wii Remote. A flick of the wrists was enough to attack, and locking a target was easier with the pointer control. Apart from accessibility reasons, they're fun options to have, and on top of that, motion controls are existing proof that one can create more compelling and immersive experiences without making visual presentations more (photo)realistic.
Huh, interesting; while I'm also in favor of motion controls, I've never really liked TP's Wii controls. The sword swings felt like a higher effort button-press, and I don't have a steady enough hand to aim the Wii Remote well. This might've just been me playing it years after the GC version (and after the luxury of Skyward Sword) though, breaking muscle memory and having experienced superior motion control.

tkscz

Isn't gyro aiming in Skyrim? At least for bow and arrow play.

Top Bottom