• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Neiteio

I was watching video footage of the "secret spa" mission, in Japanese, and it looked like all of the different units were having support conversations during the mission and unique to that mission. Um, that isn't the case on every map, is it? I only have support conversations after missions, in the barracks.

Chrom

I was watching video footage of the "secret spa" mission, in Japanese, and it looked like all of the different units were having support conversations during the mission and unique to that mission. Um, that isn't the case on every map, is it? I only have support conversations after missions, in the barracks.

All of the early DLC maps have a select group of playable characters capable of talking to enemies or NPCs. In the later DLC, namely the Scramble and Future Past series, certain characters can initiate special conversations with each others. These are not support conversations.

Neiteio

All of the early DLC maps have a select group of playable characters capable of talking to enemies or NPCs. In the later DLC, namely the Scramble and Future Past series, certain characters can initiate special conversations with each others. These are not support conversations.
Oh, OK. Phew. I was afraid I had skipped a billion unique conversations playing the campaign, lol.

McNum

With sufficient def/res, weaknesses cease to have any meaning lol

I freaked out when an enemy myrm got a crit on kvelle... and did 0 damage
True, also fun when the AI knows this. I accidentally left Cordelia wide open to a wind mage. Who then ran off to toss an Arcwind at Inigo instead. He dodged. Now, if I know my AI right, it will always go for the most damage it can do, if it can't outright kill someone. So, that wind magic would have done 9 or less damage anyway.

I've just gotten into a habit of clicking through all enemies at the start of a map ad tagging the troublemakers in red. Mostly archers, but if I'm bringing in Manaketes, I'm tagging the Wyrmslayers, too.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Heh. Noire has... issues :)

Kinda wish I didn't choose Henry as the father, because I wanted her to be a Sniper, but the low STR makes it a bit hard.

demidar

True, also fun when the AI knows this. I accidentally left Cordelia wide open to a wind mage. Who then ran off to toss an Arcwind at Inigo instead. He dodged. Now, if I know my AI right, it will always go for the most damage it can do, if it can't outright kill someone. So, that wind magic would have done 9 or less damage anyway.

I've just gotten into a habit of clicking through all enemies at the start of a map ad tagging the troublemakers in red. Mostly archers, but if I'm bringing in Manaketes, I'm tagging the Wyrmslayers, too.

I think the AI target order goes like

Can kill in one attack > Hitting weaknesses > Cannot retaliate > Highest damage dealt > Only valid target

Abuse the last condition, send in Chrom/MU to thin out the ranks then wash over them with your other units when they're sufficiently weak.

McNum

I think the AI target order goes like

Can kill in one attack > Hitting weaknesses > Cannot retaliate > Highest damage dealt > Only valid target

Abuse the last condition, send in Chrom/MU to thin out the ranks then wash over them with your other units when they're sufficiently weak.
I don't think there's a specific "attack weakness" part, it's just part of the damage calculation it does. Also, there's one condition that overrides all of it, but it's rare in this game: "Will cause instant Game Over". Although this is probably why Chrom and the Avatar are priority targets. If they can kill either if everything hits on one Enemy Phase, they'll go all out for it. But luckily both of them are quite resilient, usually.

And yeah, I totally set up bait with tougher units. The game does show the attacking range of the enemy, might as well use it.

McNum

Hmm, what to do with Noire.

Her talents seem a bit wasted as an archer. She's the daughter of Kellam, so her Def modifier is through the roof. That says General or Sorcerer to me, but sorcerer doesn't get that impressive skills. Good thing she's got Pavise and Tomebreaker already.

So, instant reclass to... Mage? Then Sage for Tomefaire and then Sorcerer? Or go Dark Mage -> Sorcerer 10, Sage 15 -> Sorcerer?

Also first thought on her personality... I have GOT to see her supports with Owain.

Kenka

I have the game !!!

Too bad I lost my mage reinforcement in chapter 3 already, I hope my experience in PoR and RD will help me minimize casualties. The game is very good at this stage already and I have been able to summon Ike and Ashgard at this point (cannot recruit them yet though).

What a game. The 3D effect is really nice, also and not gimmicky as I feared it before I pulled the trigger.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
got the game.....

.....I may have overestimated my ability and played on classic/hard

I'm 3 levels in and keep having to restart because I get a guy killed. it's ruthless! I'm ok with losing characters now and then but.... lost the archer already and kept on, hten lost a second guy on 3rd level and just restart.

hard is a bit too hard, some of the guys can't even take an attack from 1 guy plus another weak guy, they just die. Feels like snails pace inching forward into strike distance with your 1 tough guy, then mauling that character that comes over and rinse/repeat.

Cordelia is so nice to Lon'qu. Why was she fixated on talking about javelins and shit with me, damn it?!

Anyway, enjoying my hard run. A lot more restarts compared to Normal but they're mostly because I'm trying to avoid having MU and Chrom massacre everything so I'm leaving the other units out. Vaike which I ignored before is probably my second best unit. Dude is a beast

Frost_Ace

got the game.....

.....I may have overestimated my ability and played on classic/hard

I'm 3 levels in and keep having to restart because I get a guy killed. it's ruthless! I'm ok with losing characters now and then but.... lost the archer already and kept on, hten lost a second guy on 3rd level and just restart.

hard is a bit too hard, some of the guys can't even take an attack from 1 guy plus another weak guy, they just die. Feels like snails pace inching forward into strike distance with your 1 tough guy, then mauling that character that comes over and rinse/repeat.
You should stick with hard imho, it gets much easier after chapter 6

demidar

Cordelia is so nice to Lon'qu. Why was she fixated on talking about javelins and shit with me, damn it?!

Anyway, enjoying my hard run. A lot more restarts compared to Normal but they're mostly because I'm trying to avoid having MU and Chrom massacre everything so I'm leaving the other units out. Vaike which I ignored before is probably my second best unit. Dude is a beast

Hero Vaike is so good, Sol here, Sol there, Sol everywhere.

one_kill

Hmm, what to do with Noire.

Her talents seem a bit wasted as an archer. She's the daughter of Kellam, so her Def modifier is through the roof. That says General or Sorcerer to me, but sorcerer doesn't get that impressive skills. Good thing she's got Pavise and Tomebreaker already.

So, instant reclass to... Mage? Then Sage for Tomefaire and then Sorcerer? Or go Dark Mage -> Sorcerer 10, Sage 15 -> Sorcerer?

Also first thought on her personality... I have GOT to see her supports with Owain.
I also have Noire as Kellam's daughter in my current run. So far she's got Pavise, Lifetaker, and Bowfaire. I'm going to get her Luna and Dual Guard+. Might get her Aegis afterwards so she can be more like a tank.

I wish she had Galeforce though :\

Hero Vaike is so good, Sol here, Sol there, Sol everywhere.

Gotta get that Sol

Man, I was practically done with chapter 10. Every unit was surrounding the leader except for Maribelle which was straggling behind a bit. Press end turn, licking my lips over how smoothly it went. Reinforcements show up... dead

Fuck

ohlawd

Whoa, whoa whoa, my Chrom ended up with Sully and everything seems to be going fine, what's wrong with it? Is it because Lucina can't get galeforce?

That and the classes Sully gives to her, Lucina has no use for.

Kjelle turns out worse too. Class redundancy with Cavalier, no need for Archer line, no point of Aether.

one_kill

I wish there was a better way to organise units. I understand the design of the unit selection screen, but it could have been a lot better. Having a grouping mechanic (favourites, spotpass/dlc characters, offspring) would have been excellent.

Looking for opinions... i've played the demo of FE:A but could only really tell the high production values, though i did enjoy what i played, it was obviously first levels and easy. I know FE:A has the Casual mode and the and easier difficulties, but what i'm after is more detail as to the differences with Advance Wars gameplay, to see if some of my pet peeves with that series come across as well or if FE may be more fun for me.

I have every Advance Wars except AW2. Problem is, each and every one of them, i've tried a bunch of times and never have the motivation to continue past 5-10 chapters in.

Case in point, i recently restarted Days of Ruin and I just finished Chapter 8. But boy was it a slog, something like 30 days, frustration at fog of war, CPU endlessly producing new units from factories i couldn't reach. I got a B rank, have no idea how i'd get an S rank and only for a few moves at the beginning did i feel like i had a cohesive strategy. I'm just not very good at the damn series, certainly not enough to feel like i won with skill instead of a hefty helping of luck!

But, the simplicity of play control keeps me trying over and over again to get better and heaven forbid, actually finish one of them. I also have Sacred Stones from being an Ambassadope, but haven't played it - i'd rather play Awakening first if i'm gonna give the series a go and i don't want to burn out on the series playing an earlier game.

Couple that with the fact i still need to get LM2, have DKC3D, AC:NL and Mario & Luigi coming out, and currently engrossed in PSO2 for Vita, and i am thoroughly conflicted on whether i should get FE:A as well!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really think Fire Emblem is that similar to Advance Wars, other than the fact they are both turn-based strategy. They're different types of turn-based strategy that requires a different sort of thinking. Unless you just get bored with that type of gameplay after a certain amount of time I think there's a decent chance you could enjoy it a lot more than AW.

You'd probably have different issues with Fire Emblem though. Like enemy reinforcements appearing at the beginning of enemy turns (except on normal mode). No fog of war in this game, but it's in other games in the series. Maybe SS, don't remember.

one_kill

Looking for opinions... i've played the demo of FE:A but could only really tell the high production values, though i did enjoy what i played, it was obviously first levels and easy. I know FE:A has the Casual mode and the and easier difficulties, but what i'm after is more detail as to the differences with Advance Wars gameplay, to see if some of my pet peeves with that series come across as well or if FE may be more fun for me.
FE has a strong traditional RPG focus so expect to do some or a lot of grinding if you want to level up characters, get more skills, and form relationships. There's also inventory management in FE.

AW is more streamlined as you have set unit characteristics. FE has character classes, skills, weapons, and so forth that mix it up.

Alucrid

Banned
Sorry for this, but is there a post in the thread that goes over the systems of the game and what not? i.e. if weapons can be repaired, what determines if your partner attacks, etc. etc.

Weapons can be repaired by:

1. Using a Hammerne staff, which is a rare item.
2. If you have multiple copies of a weapon, you can use the Restock command when selecting a weapon to take uses from a copy of that weapon in the Convoy. Similarly, storing copies of weapons in the Convoy will automatically restock them. (E.g. you have a 10/50 Iron Sword and a 30/50 Iron Sword in the Convoy. Restocking combines the two into a 40/50 Iron Sword.)
3. Just obtain another copy of the weapon. Except the Falchion and two rare items, you can obtain copies of any weapon.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
FE has a strong traditional RPG focus so expect to do some or a lot of grinding if you want to level up characters, get more skills, and form relationships. There's also inventory management in FE.

AW is more streamlined as you have set unit characteristics. FE has character classes, skills, weapons, and so forth that mix it up.

If you're grinding in FE you're doing it wrong or by choice ;)

Anteo

Yeah, about this, you don't have to grind to finish the game. It is possible to play the game and just play the main chapters and never go grinding. BUT if you want to get all the supports, level up ALL of your characters, yeah grinding is necesary.

Is there a way to check individual enemy attack ranges? I know how to check total ranges of all enemies, but that isn't useful when there are 8 flying enemies all grouped together.

Also Galeforce seems broken. Is it a skill you want passed to every child possible?

TWILT

Banned
Is there a way to check individual enemy attack ranges? I know how to check total ranges of all enemies, but that isn't useful when there are 8 flying enemies all grouped together.

Also Galeforce seems broken. Is it a skill you want passed to every child possible?

Hover over the specific enemy and press A on them to show their individual range.

Yeah, you want Galeforce on as many children as you can, especially the male ones since they can't learn it normally.

Hover over the specific enemy and press A on them to show their individual range.

Yeah, you want Galeforce on as many children as you can, especially the male ones since they can't learn it normally.

I might do this on my Hard playthrough.

Also does the game expect you to take advantage of overpowered units and/or unlock all the chests on stages with locked chests?

On those levels where you had to kill the commander to win, I just pushed Donnel + MU forward and won in like 2 turns ignoring everything else. It feels like cheating, but maybe the game expects that since otherwise the enemies outnumber you by like 3 to 1.

Well, it's not that Galeforce is broken itself, it's more that the grinding required to get Galeforce for all the kids makes you broken.

Just press A over an enemy. You can do this for multiple enemies and it also overlaps with the Danger (all enemy) attack range.

If you're playing optimally, yes. If you're playing normally, it doesn't matter, but you should keep the option open (eg. don't recruit the children) as you'll probably regret it otherwise.

I might do this on my Hard playthrough.

Also does the game expect you to take advantage of overpowered units and/or unlock all the chests on stages with locked chests?

On those levels where you had to kill the commander to win, I just pushed Donnel + MU forward and won in like 2 turns ignoring everything else. It feels like cheating, but maybe the game expects that since otherwise the enemies outnumber you by like 3 to 1.

It's however you choose how to play it. You could bunker down at a good spot and move slowly up while defeating everything that comes your way or pair up two demi-gods and watch them destroy everything.

m0t0k1

Just started my hard playthrough after doing my normal run. Man now i remember why i don't play hard on Fire Emblem on chapter 2, twice on 3,twice on 4 an enemy had to crit one of my characters with like sometimes 2% crit chance. chapter 5 ricket got a ganged up on because i was careless and don't have a rescue staff yet. and the best level increase i had was 5 stat boosters on my sumia the rest have all been pretty low increase. I always have bad luck in Fire Emblem games. I also never ever won a luck based mini game in Mario Party when playing with friends. I need to take a break now from Fire Emblem because my rage level is pretty high.

Top Bottom